test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Endeavor Feedback (Psychology of the System)

Before I start, I just wanted to state that the system seems to be very balanced as far as I have seen in the short amount of time testing. The seeming max amount of each stat is reasonable and similar to personal character or reputation traits in the magnitude of strength.

However, I feel the system could be better in terms of “feel”. I would like to suggest one of two possible options to improve that.

1) A change to double the ranks of skills (to 900 from 450), half the rewards offered per point (.25% crit, .5% hull hp, +1 control resist, etc.), and half the exp needed for each perk (10,000).

In essence, it is the same outcome, but a player could obtain one perk per day versus every two days. This accomplishes two things: The rate of progress is something easier to grasp, and the RNG is not as much of a stumbling block. For instance, on the live stream the first perk point added in the demonstration offered “impulse speed”, “turn rate”, and “sprint speed”. For something you spent two days on, despite the amount of effort, I’d find that selection a little disheartening. However, I wouldn’t feel so bad if it were something that I could achieve in a day as well as “banking” 2,000 extra exp into tomorrow’s Endeavors. With that it feels similar to daily mark rewards for reputations, as it is enough to fill in the daily rep project, but with extra to go towards the next one.

2) Keep everything the same as now, but halve the needed exp per perk.

At the current iteration, the entire system will require 9,000,000 endeavor exp, which amounts to approximately 750 days of play or a little over 2 years. Playtime wise the amount is small, but time-gate wise it is huge. For a person who plays every few days (such as only the weekends), that would take 5-6 years. I understand the system isn’t a carrot-on-the-stick, play every day type of incentive, but the gating seems excessive. With half the needed exp, it accomplishes the same as suggestion 1, but also makes the system able to be completed in 375 days of play. Just a little over a year for a hardcore daily player, and over 3 and a half for a weekend player. The entire system is a small amount of power creep, but it benefits constant players over less constant ones by nature, it’d be nice for them to catch up in a more achievable amount of time.

So in conclusion: The system currently feels like a bi-daily push for random stats, intended or not, this is the psychological feel ingrained in players. It would be better for it to feel like a daily objective with a more immediate outcome, as well as less punishing for non-daily players or bad stat “roll” outcomes.

Comments

• sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    So far spend perk points lets you choose from 3 random perks. The increase for % seems to be 0.5. Checked on my ship there is a 0.5% increase in crit chance.
    aVisVV0.jpg
    Anyone else know how much the increase per bar if it not % ?.

OPv9m3F.jpg
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    Kit Performance gave me +4
    Bridger.png
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    3qvMdi1.jpg
    3 different stat bonus all different increase numbers per bar.
    Beta is Disruptor, polaron, physical, radiation and fire damage.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • fun4ever#6757 fun4ever Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    W8... U CANT spend points on what u want???
    Its 3 RANDOM skills???

Huge DISAPPOINTMENT!!! Hate RNG hell...

Idk then, ill not be bothering tryhard farming it, and will save points until they remove RNG BS...
  • ekypyrosekypyros Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Perks was Account wide right ?
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    ekypyros wrote: »
    Perks was Account wide right ?

yeah.

not sure how many categories there are thou, so you get enough points for a perk and you can choose 1 perk from 3 randomly chosen perks. who knows how many levels each category has.
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    One tweak I would like to see for the PE is the ability to carry over points gained.

Doing 6000 of ground heals was way more grindy for a medium reward then the dealing of 20,000 tetryon damage the ground was listed as hard.

The first character I used to get the tetryon damage had really no heal ability so I only got about 2000 ground heals points over the 20,000 in the same time period, I even did easy PE which was 5000 of poloron damage (also ground)

Not willing to spend another few hors chasing after an inconstant heal, I switched to my sci character which did have a decent heal ability. However, the 2000 of the heal I did with the previous did not carry over.

Still if the points were carried over I think it would help the whole PE system.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    One tweak I would like to see for the PE is the ability to carry over points gained.

Doing 6000 of ground heals was way more grindy for a medium reward then the dealing of 20,000 tetryon damage the ground was listed as hard.

The first character I used to get the tetryon damage had really no heal ability so I only got about 2000 ground heals points over the 20,000 in the same time period, I even did easy PE which was 5000 of poloron damage (also ground)

Not willing to spend another few hors chasing after an inconstant heal, I switched to my sci character which did have a decent heal ability. However, the 2000 of the heal I did with the previous did not carry over.

Still if the points were carried over I think it would help the whole PE system.

They didn't allow this for the regular endeavors... don't see em doing this for personal. frankly I dont know what is personal about it... not like you can do this multiple times on each toon. from how things are working... it seems to be nothing more than a rebranding and adding in 3 more endeavors to do each day on top of the original endeavor that refreshed 3 times a week.