test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STOPC] Command the Styx Terran Dreadnought Cruiser!

2»

Comments

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User

It's unbelievable what people are willing to swallow when it comes to multi-million dollar companies. Not only that, create a wedge in it's own core fan base. I like to understand people like you that feel the need to stand up for companies that milk your nostalgia for all its worth and TRIBBLE on the people that built your franchise.

Next thing you'll say is that people are being entitled or something dumb like that.
    Welcome to how TOS fans (of which I'm one) felt in 1987 - yet TNG survived and found a new audience, that, in the Tradition of Star trek fandom, initially dislikes any new/sightly different entry into the franchise - which is nothing new, and goes ALL THE WAY BACK TO 1973 when TAS hit NBC on Saturday mornings, then again in 1979 with ST:TMP, etc.

It's amazing how after so many incarnations (all successful ultimately) some fans still like to see any new entry as 'Not Trek" - until it ultimately is. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    And, it's gone. Make these ships available for Zen and you might get me interested, maybe. While these ships are Lock Box only you don't get my money!

Seems like there is a post like this every time they announce a new lockbox or lobi ship.

And it doesn't really strike me as entirely true, either.

All these people that supposedly do not care about a ship merely because of the delivery system of said ship.

Sorry, not buying it.

First of all, plenty of other people will give Cryptic their money, and their money is just as good as yours.

Secondly, I am confident that most, if not all, of the people saying that they "do not care" about this or that ship because it's in a lockbox will care plenty about that same ship when someone puts it on the exchange.

=============

This ship is not for me, I think.

Not a bad ship at all, and I like some of the shield variant schemes (I can't really make out much of the default pattern... Too dark for my eyes), but I prefer a more classic design.

On the other hand, maybe it would be fun to suit up a crew in Mirror Universe threads and playing as outlaws that fled the Mirror Universe to join the Federation*.

But I still might look first to see if I could use a shield variant slot to add Mirror Universe cosmetics to a more conventional design.
    That is something that came in while I was on hiatus and I haven't really given it a good look.

*I think that there is the potential for a new faction in that idea.

I am no expert so I won't pretend to know the disposition of the Klingons or Romulans in the Mirror Universe, but for the Federation player it would be as simple as being assigned ever more distasteful missions up until the end when you are given a mission to cross over and attack the Federation.
    Instead, you engage in some ground combat inside of your ship as you deal with the Empire loyalists among your crew, and then cross over to the battlesite against the Federation fleet but instead of fighting against them you join them to fight against the Terran ships and after that Starfleet takes you in and you pick up where everyone else does after the tutorial.
  • anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    With the temporal defense initiative shield visual it looks like the quintessential party boat (micro-sun = greatest disco ball ever)

Actually, TWO THINGS crossed my mind when I had seen that episode where the ship is revealed for the first time: Stargate Ori ships and SWTOR's Eternal Empire. I see this as a multi-faceted must-have for a lot of the RP'ers from every camp. Not just the "PARTY! PARTY!" crowd.

RP & Leisure-potentials aside, it is a fascinating beast. Might make it worth keeping some of the Emperor's LBs after all.

Anyone know if there'll be an Emperor's Tarot? Or is the Fortune Cookie all we're getting on that front?
    Getting back to the real topic, the Terran Empire looks like they have been stealing from the Romulans, Klingons, and a number of others to build that ship. Plus, is that a mini sun they are using to power the ship?

Romulans using Singularity Cores was introduced in TNG. An artificial miniature Black Hole, if you will.
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=Singularity&form=PRHPR1&src=IE11TR&pc=EUPP_HRTS
    It was explained in dialogue but not shown so we don't know what writers intended for them to look like.
    Stargate has Ori ships which appear to use a singularity or something similar.
    SWTOR introduced "Sun Reactors" in one of their dlc/expacs.

Getting back to Trek canon, it has been made abundantly clear the Terrans stole and reverse engineered whatever they could get their hands on; namely tech of the Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites, Orions and anyone else they conquered. Or at least had left useable salvage after a battle.

And I do believe that to be some kind of artificial sun, powering the ship.
    Post edited by anubis0sarvour on
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Just to echo what I said on Twitter and was repeated here - we can't make the Charon. a) It's way, way too big (space station size) and b) CBS has said it's the only one of its kind, it was never made into a class of ship. So we've made this beautiful thing, inspired by it, as a compromise. :)

Nonsense lol you flipped DS9 successfully up over & down under.

This ship looks like a nice menacing supplement of the Charon & it will do just fine I'm sure for the lucky.
  • captainknight88captainknight88 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    The Comment I made earlier is all well known to me, just wanted everyone back on topic of that Starship, because I saw heavy design elements of the Romulans and Klingons in it, but not used in cannon for ship designs for the Mirror Universe.

Plus Cryptic and fans, how would everyone feel about that hinted Mirror Faction, plus maybe portals to a Mirror Universe Sectors and Quadrants to go play in! A Terran Empire Earth, Vulcan, with Romulan and Klingon Territories, to not name every planet? Would it even be possible to do the Mirror Universe STO with a regular STO at the same time? Two universes to play in, the dark side and the light side!!!!!

A home for the Charon to be built and battled, plus Mirror DS9!!!!!
  • richyrich1991richyrich1991 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    Does this come with a unique Charon-esque bridge or will it use the Walker-Class one like most of the other DSC ships?
    "As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives.
    This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Victory is Life!"
    njflWNG.jpg
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @thay8472 said:
    > Is this what Killy is flying? :D

Nope, Killy flies a Mirror Crossfield, this is the Empress's ship.

So, If that's the Empress's ship - Who's the Empress? Leeta?

On the other hand, I'd LOVE a Michelle Yeoh voice-over (crosses fingers)

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @crypticarmsman said:
    > asadir#3274 wrote: »
    >
    > From a design point of view .....well it's all over the place .I just hope CBS lets you guys do your own thing again sooner rather than later and stop pushing this ships from a failed and plagiarized show . I know you guys have no say in it so i'm not blaming you.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Um, you realized Cryptic ASKED to do content from said "failed and plagiarized" show (that currently ranks in the top 10 of streamed series...) ;)

Where did you hear that it was in the top 10 of streamed series?
  • rhazedurilerhazedurile Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    I would love to see this scaling functionality applied to all ships on C-Store. An endgame Oberth is that last elusive prize for my WoK era ship collection. Make it an extra token, if you must, to buy alongside the ship itself.
    dZWjlSs.jpg
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @crypticarmsman said:
    > aliensamongus wrote: »
    >
    >
    > It's unbelievable what people are willing to swallow when it comes to multi-million dollar companies. Not only that, create a wedge in it's own core fan base. I like to understand people like you that feel the need to stand up for companies that milk your nostalgia for all its worth and TRIBBLE on the people that built your franchise.
    >
    > Next thing you'll say is that people are being entitled or something dumb like that.
    >
    >
    >
    > Welcome to how TOS fans (of which I'm one) felt in 1987 - yet TNG survived and found a new audience, that, in the Tradition of Star trek fandom, initially dislikes any new/sightly different entry into the franchise - which is nothing new, and goes ALL THE WAY BACK TO 1973 when TAS hit NBC on Saturday mornings, then again in 1979 with ST:TMP, etc.
    >
    > It's amazing how after so many incarnations (all successful ultimately) some fans still like to see any new entry as 'Not Trek" - until it ultimately is. ;)

TNG at least was in the future and didn't retcon TOS out of recognition by its very existence. The Federation as depicted in TOS couldn't exist after the events of ST-D season 1. Nearly a third of it has been reduced to ash and they exist On the sufferance of the Empire.....what a positive future, not
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    TNG at least was in the future and didn't retcon TOS out of recognition by its very existence. The Federation as depicted in TOS couldn't exist after the events of ST-D season 1. Nearly a third of it has been reduced to ash and they exist On the sufferance of the Empire.....what a positive future, not

As someone who WATCHED TOS on NBC first run, my initial issues with TNG was that it DID in fact suddenly retcon TOS severely; and Humans since the first days of the Federation had somehow always been Utopian, etc.

The Prime Directive was suddenly retconed to apply to ANY non-member World (and not just primitive worlds with no knowledge of spaceflight or that life on other worlds existed.)

Also, there was rarely any real disagreements among the crew and suddenly the ONLY time you had any crew conflict, it was usually due to 'alien influence', etc.

You want to watch real Star Trek, pick any episode from TOS season 1 (my choice would be - "The Corbomite Maneuver" <--- the first 'regular TOS episode filmed; although due to post production needs, the 10th episode aired); and compare that with "Encounter At Farpoint".

One keeps you at the edge of your seat. The other puts you to sleep.

ST: D has its issue (like ANY Star Trek series including TOS); but if you compare the first 15 episodes of ST: D as compared to the first 15 of TNG - yes, one is HORRIBLY written. And it's the one with the old man who hates kids, and allows families on a ship in deep space encountering danger.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User

Plus Cryptic and fans, how would everyone feel about that hinted Mirror Faction, plus maybe portals to a Mirror Universe Sectors and Quadrants to go play in! A Terran Empire Earth, Vulcan, with Romulan and Klingon Territories, to not name every planet? Would it even be possible to do the Mirror Universe STO with a regular STO at the same time? Two universes to play in, the dark side and the light side!!!!!

I put my two cents in earlier.

It wouldn't be a full 1-65 faction, and there wouldn't be a full Mirror Universe map.

It would be a tutorial with a map just large enough to cover those needs and at the end you rebel against the Empire and join the regular Federation.

Again, not up to date on the status of Mirror Klingons and Romulans and such, so no idea whether a Mirror Universe faction would work for them, but I see it as being basically the same as the ToS or Discovery stuff.

The tutorial missions would be different, with your ship being used to put down dissenters and/or help enslave worlds instead of the standard Federation tutorials, but the end result would be the same, replacing time travel with "defected from the Mirror Universe and crossed over to help the federation stand against such evil".

Not only do I not see it as worthwhile to create a "parallel" game with a new Mirror faction for everyone else to PvP against, but I wouldn't see CBS greenlighting such a faction for play in their game.

• nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Does this come with a unique Charon-esque bridge or will it use the Walker-Class one like most of the other DSC ships?

It was stated during their Ten Forward stream about this Styx ship that it doesn't have a unique bridge, but everything else about it seems pretty well done.
    edited January 2019
    I would love to see this scaling functionality applied to all ships on C-Store. An endgame Oberth is that last elusive prize for my WoK era ship collection. Make it an extra token, if you must, to buy alongside the ship itself.

Yes! Please?!?
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

It was stated during their Ten Forward stream about this Styx ship that it doesn't have a unique bridge, but everything else about it seems pretty well done.

Iow, the default standard Fed Bridge and can use any Fed Bridge you have unlocked on your account, so you can rock out TOS, Walker or TNG or whatever.

It would be nice if they would eventually expand the Walker bridge and add a ready room & Captain's Quarters. The Styx Bridge. Free to those that get/got the ship, and c-store later on for any who want to buy it (for use on other ships they have).
    Post edited by anubis0sarvour on
    The Borg Assimilator
    Ok, THIS is the bridge!?

What happened? we don't even get the existing DSC bridges?

That's really disappointing :(

1X6hvNt.jpg
    njflWNG.jpg
    Ok, THIS is the bridge!?

What happened? we don't even get the existing DSC bridges?

That's really disappointing :(

1X6hvNt.jpg

See how much more appropriate this one is?

zd91nJA.jpg
    njflWNG.jpg
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Is this what Killy is flying? :D

Nope Killy's only a captain, point in fact, we don't know who succeeded empress Georgiou.

I'd so like to see Killy face off against Mirror Leeta. THAT would be an epic mission!
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

edited February 2019
    entnx01 wrote: »
    Just to echo what I said on Twitter and was repeated here - we can't make the Charon. a) It's way, way too big (space station size) and b) CBS has said it's the only one of its kind, it was never made into a class of ship. So we've made this beautiful thing, inspired by it, as a compromise. :)

A legit question...at one point, I thought the Enterprise-J was off limits due to its size. What changed for that particular case?

*snip*

I think I can answer that murky swamp of Issues; Monsterprise-J was a super star destroyer, Trek edition. The Charon was Moonves' phallic Death Star. It even has a glowing disco-ball!! 'Nuff said. IF that unholy of unholies appears in STO EVER, it will be a BIG BAD that a fleet of players must band together to destroy (with their comparatively puny Starships). Like in those Voth Alert events.
    The Borg Assimilator