test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STOPC] Command the Styx Terran Dreadnought Cruiser!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
As part of the Emperor's Lock Box, launching with Mirror of Discovery, you can command the Mirror Styx Dreadnought Cruiser, based on the Charon from Star Trek: Discovery!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11067613

And check out this look at the ship in action from ZEFilms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkM99c0JVUU&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    With the temporal defense initiative shield visual it looks like the quintessential party boat (micro-sun = greatest disco ball ever)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    That Styx looks mightily impressive as it should. Stats seem nice for it, the abilities, trait, the frigate, & special console all are appealing. Dang, only 1 hangar bay lol.

I do wonder … when gazing upon it while drooling from a visual perspective I see the Jem'Hadar Carrier with some kitbashing maybe???

Nicely done on the ship though it seems, looks menacing.
  • asadir#3274 asadir Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    From a design point of view .....well it's all over the place .I just hope CBS lets you guys do your own thing again sooner rather than later and stop pushing this ships from a failed and plagiarized show . I know you guys have no say in it so i'm not blaming you.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Is this what Killy is flying? :D
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Nice ship, good idea... when all bugs got fixed.
    And there will be bugs. Ship with changing slots for weapons and consoles?
    I still remember the bugs for Solenae Dyson Sci-Destroyer.
    This will be worse.
    Still, as I'm sure once all bugs got fixed it will be very good ship. Too bad it will be lockbox one.
    I'm still waiting for Zen store scaling ship for KDF and Romulans…

Edit:
    I hope the bug fixes will not require players to dismiss the ship and commision a new one o:)
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    From a design point of view .....well it's all over the place .I just hope CBS lets you guys do your own thing again sooner rather than later and stop pushing this ships from a failed and plagiarized show . I know you guys have no say in it so i'm not blaming you.

Um, you realized Cryptic ASKED to do content from said "failed and plagiarized" show (that currently ranks in the top 10 of streamed series...) ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    At long last a good mine layer ship. There are far too few ships that make good mine layers so it’s great to see another one added. Almost perfect in fact just missing disposal pattern 3 although disposal pattern 2 isn’t that bad considering the rest of it. Its to early to say for sure but looking at the layout it could be the best mine layer ship in game.

Nice ship design as well going by the screenshot.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @thay8472 said:
    > Is this what Killy is flying? :D

Nope, Killy flies a Mirror Crossfield, this is the Empress's ship.

It's based on the Charon but it isn't the Empress' ship ... unless Killy is our new Empress

Hail Killy!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    None of what you said is correct. The show is not failing, no TV network in history has ever given the green light to a spin off of a failed show (and they never will) the very concept is insanity, the plagerism accusation is utter hogwash, and CBS does not dictate what Cryptic does with STO as the Devs has stated on hundreds of occassions

Might as well just save the keystrokes. People like that won't listen because they're dug in to what they believe. We don't need this thread being derailed by a fight over Discovery.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Looking at it with the Delta Alliance shield, it looks very Gorn-esque.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Sort of looks like an Oberth.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    Sort of looks like an Oberth.

rofl

I'm sure when they do the T6 Oberth, making it a "Mirror" ship so it can be a lockbox vessel WOULD fit the bill though
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    it scales too
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    And, it's gone. Make these ships available for Zen and you might get me interested, maybe. While these ships are Lock Box only you don't get my money!
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    If the Charon is due the Emperor/Empress then I guess the Styx is for Governor-Generals and Crow Prince/Crown Princess.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    When I first saw the picture for this ship, the first thing I thought was, 'Nice Dominion ship.' But reading that it was supposed to be based on the Empress' ship..., my reaction was: "Oh."
  • aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    None of what you said is correct. The show is not failing, no TV network in history has ever given the green light to a spin off of a failed show (and they never will) the very concept is insanity, the plagerism accusation is utter hogwash, and CBS does not dictate what Cryptic does with STO as the Devs has stated on hundreds of occassions

Might as well just save the keystrokes. People like that won't listen because they're dug in to what they believe. We don't need this thread being derailed by a fight over Discovery.

This!

It's gotten old! Those who hate DSC NEVER miss the oportunity to remind everyone why they hate it and that subsequently results in bickering and a locked thread.
    Thankfully not quite as bad here as it is on Bookface.

As for the ship - looks good but probably going to give it a pass. And I'd wager that the Charon will find it's way into the R&D Promo box at some point.

God forbid people have different opinions and people like you have the need to deflate every criticism like it's virtuous. Congratulations, you're a contrarian. You want a cookie for your diplomatic answer that isn't at all diplomatic but serves to make peoples blood boil by being condescending?

It's unbelievable what people are willing to swallow when it comes to multi-million dollar companies. Not only that, create a wedge in it's own core fan base. I like to understand people like you that feel the need to stand up for companies that milk your nostalgia for all its worth and TRIBBLE on the people that built your franchise.

Next thing you'll say is that people are being entitled or something dumb like that.
    giphy.gif
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    *snip*

Then how about we give it a rest, eh? It could have stopped a dozen posts ago with rattler2, but folks couldn't help but respond. Let people have their opinions and move on.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    Let's give the Discovery bashing a rest please. Gatekeeping falls under trolling in this forum and will be dealt with as such.

As for the Charon, we won't be getting that. Period. This ship is as close as we're getting, so go get it! For the Empire! :mrgreen:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Having read the blog a 2nd time this has just become a must have for me. Not only does it have a just about perfect layout for a mine layer boat, I just noticed it has rank 3 command and rank 3 Intelligence so it’s the only high end mine layer ship with access to the two best spec mine boosting powers. Looking at the stats it’s going to be the best mine boat in game by a long shot and look good doing it as well. I cannot think of any other current ship coming close to this. Its been a long time since I have been excited about a new ship as much as this one.
  • captainknight88captainknight88 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Getting back to the real topic, the Terran Empire looks like they have been stealing from the Romulans, Klingons, and a number of others to build that ship. Plus, is that a mini sun they are using to power the ship?
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    Let's give the Discovery bashing a rest please. Gatekeeping falls under trolling in this forum and will be dealt with as such.

As for the Charon, we won't be getting that. Period. This ship is as close as we're getting, so go get it! For the Empire! :mrgreen:

Genuine query here: has that been confirmed?
    Or was this a tounge-in-cheek reference to the back-history of the Connie?

No, this is confirmed. And there are some tweets about it on Twitter. Basically, CBS says the Charon is a unique ship. Also, Bort says an actual Charon would be way too big to make into a playable ship (something like, 15 Galaxy class starships long). My guess, if we ever see the actual Charon in-game, it would only be in a story mission or PVE queue.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Just to echo what I said on Twitter and was repeated here - we can't make the Charon. a) It's way, way too big (space station size) and b) CBS has said it's the only one of its kind, it was never made into a class of ship. So we've made this beautiful thing, inspired by it, as a compromise. :)
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User

Just to echo what I said on Twitter and was repeated here - we can't make the Charon. a) It's way, way too big (space station size) and b) CBS has said it's the only one of its kind, it was never made into a class of ship. So we've made this beautiful thing, inspired by it, as a compromise. :)

A legit question...at one point, I thought the Enterprise-J was off limits due to its size. What changed for that particular case?

Also, a concern (which I don't expect answered, just wanted to put it out there) is Lockbox scalable ships. Since scaling during leveling is part of its selling point, players using/exclusively having characters Level 40+ (the old lowest level to use them) can't really get full value out of them. I'm sure many veteran players won't want to make a new character for a ship that's only good on one character (and which they may or may not like enough to "waste" a character slot), which brings about an old discussion about making Lockbox/Lobi/Promo ships account unlocks, even if it's a paid option. If these scalable ships were account unlocks (again, even as a paid option), I'd be all over this. For now, though, at least for me, being scalable isn't even a feature as I'm about "tooned out" and would have to put it on a high-level character (and, like all Lockbox/Lobi/Promo ships, if I don't like it there, I'm stuck with it being only there).