test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mission Markers are unclear

ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
Can we please get clear mission markers on our maps and over the heads of NPCs - and in the Available Mission list.

* In the available mission list there is no delineation between missions that advance a storyline and those that are used to grind reputation: i.e. While some missions are marked (Daily) the bulk of the patrols look like any other mission - if they belong to a story arc good luck figuring that out.
* NPCs with missions are not particularly well marked from NPCs that merely have chat options. When doing the "New Romulus" storyline I have to just run around and speak to every ijust in case its actually a mission, and several gold i's - such as the radiation researcher - don't even offer a quest so its impossible to discern that there are no missions being offered without talking to him.
* The new endeavors window just underlaps my mission window and is unclickable.
* There really needs to be a "Pass" button on the Plan screen for an Admiralty assignment.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Options, Rearrange HUD to move Endeavor box. :) And it got a "show/hide" on it now, too.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    You can "pass" on Admiralty assignments, but you have to earn a pass token first. I think you get them from criting other assignments.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    You can "pass" on Admiralty assignments, but you have to earn a pass token first. I think you get them from criting other assignments.

Correct - 1 token per critical success, unless you are already at the cap of 50 tokens.

I think you also get a few awarded for either reaching max level or finishing a 1...10 sequence, but I'm not sure which.

• ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited January 2019

The point is that the pass button is only available when looking at the assignment summary - which does NOT show the event reward, or any event based requirement changes.

When you actually open the assignment suddenly its e.g. 150, not 50 science required, and perhaps "Event Rewards: None" which makes it a pretty easy decision to pass - but there is no way to pass from this screen. And there's no easy way to get back to the previous screen and pass on the correct assignment.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Though I'll agree it could be done your way, you'll get to know what events produce which changes and rewards by name only.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Though I'll agree it could be done your way, you'll get to know what events produce which changes and rewards by name only.

The "Plan Screen" is the screen you get when you click on the "Plan" button. It's where you assign the ships, where you see the event name, what extra rewards the event offers offers, and extra requirements the event adds. This screen is the screen that needs the Pass button.
  • tagentagen Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    The first two points are the ones that are more important to me.

Since the mission journal changes that thing is an absolute mess. At *best* I need to go to the episodes tab just to see which mission I should do next for story continuity and at worst, I need to do wiki research to sort out the jumble.
    I am not saying the changes are all bad, just that the mission journal now needs some major improvements to go along with those changes. (https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1246192/the-good-and-the-bad-about-changes-to-episode-availability)

As for the mission markers above NPC heads and on the map, part of this may be due to my colorblindness, but I see zero difference at all between the map marker for an NPC who has a mission to offer and one who has already given you a mission that is not yet complete.
    This has only been made worse with an NPC who gives out the episode starter missions. Unless you want to take ALL the episodes at the same time, that person could be marked as having a mission for you for a long long time. And again, it can sometimes take some research to determine which missions you should take in which order for the story.

Love the game, but the UI could do with a 2019 overhaul. :smile:
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    tagen wrote: »

Since the mission journal changes that thing is an absolute mess. At *best* I need to go to the episodes tab just to see which mission I should do next for story continuity and at worst, I need to do wiki research to sort out the jumble.
    I am not saying the changes are all bad, just that the mission journal now needs some major improvements to go along with those changes. (https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1246192/the-good-and-the-bad-about-changes-to-episode-availability)

As for the mission markers above NPC heads and on the map, part of this may be due to my colorblindness, but I see zero difference at all between the map marker for an NPC who has a mission to offer and one who has already given you a mission that is not yet complete.
    This has only been made worse with an NPC who gives out the episode starter missions. Unless you want to take ALL the episodes at the same time, that person could be marked as having a mission for you for a long long time. And again, it can sometimes take some research to determine which missions you should take in which order for the story.

You might want to gather up and post the UI elements like this that are broken for colorblind players in the bugs subforum. Making an icon shape change might not be hard to fit into their to-do list.

I'm nearsighted, so my bane is UIs that don't scale up for higher resolutions. Hey, it's a 4K TV and console game UI with 8-pixel-high text. Enjoy!

• mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    The point is that the pass button is only available when looking at the assignment summary - which does NOT show the event reward, or any event based requirement changes.

When you actually open the assignment suddenly its e.g. 150, not 50 science required, and perhaps "Event Rewards: None" which makes it a pretty easy decision to pass - but there is no way to pass from this screen. And there's no easy way to get back to the previous screen and pass on the correct assignment.

There is a back button that takes you back to the mission selection screen. How much easier can it get?

How hard is it to hit a button that says "back" and then pass on the mission that you were *JUST* looking at?

You might want to gather up and post the UI elements like this that are broken for colorblind players in the bugs subforum. Making an icon shape change might not be hard to fit into their to-do list.

I'm nearsighted, so my bane is UIs that don't scale up for higher resolutions. Hey, it's a 4K TV and console game UI with 8-pixel-high text. Enjoy!

I will do that, thanks. And, speaking of scale, I don't see how anyone can see the buff icons. Those things are tin y tiny and don't even give much info in the tooltip.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @mithrosnomore said:
    > ihatepwe735 wrote: »
    >
    > The point is that the pass button is only available when looking at the assignment summary - which does NOT show the event reward, or any event based requirement changes.
    >
    > When you actually open the assignment suddenly its e.g. 150, not 50 science required, and perhaps "Event Rewards: None" which makes it a pretty easy decision to pass - but there is no way to pass from this screen. And there's no easy way to get back to the previous screen and pass on the correct assignment.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There is a back button that takes you back to the mission selection screen. How much easier can it get?
    >
    > How hard is it to hit a button that says "back" and then pass on the mission that you were *JUST* looking at?

There is a pass button right underneath the plan button on Admiralty, its there on every single assignment, no exceptions. Are we sure ihatepwe knows how to read?

I think it was referring to once you are on the plan screen to see all the details. That page does not let you pass, you need to go back to the list to do that.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I usually just throw a low level ship or shuttle that has fast return/recovery time in and pass that way.
    You don't have to burn a token all the time.

But I have been doing Admiralty long enough, that I know which "Events" I am looking for that has the rewards I want and which ones are "Meh!" or even a "Yikes!". You will come to recognize them soon enough, if you DOFF/Admiralty everyday.

The idea that everything good comes without experience, should not be expected. You have to practice at everything in this game.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I usually just throw a low level ship or shuttle that has fast return/recovery time in and pass that way.
    You don't have to burn a token all the time.

But I have been doing Admiralty long enough, that I know which "Events" I am looking for that has the rewards I want and which ones are "Meh!" or even a "Yikes!". You will come to recognize them soon enough, if you DOFF/Admiralty everyday.

The idea that everything good comes without experience, should not be expected. You have to practice at everything in this game.

I learned something new when checking into this, too. If you are on that Admirality page and (on PC anyway) hover the mouse over the event, it shows the effects and a brief description of any reward, so you can see some of it without clicking through for all the details. which can be a nice shortcut if you just need a quick reminder on what the event entails.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User

I think it was referring to once you are on the plan screen to see all the details. That page does not let you pass, you need to go back to the list to do that.

"And there's no easy way to get back to the previous screen and pass on the correct assignment."

Those are not my words. That is the complaint that I was responding to.

There is a very easy way to get back to the previous screen, and it should be very easy to "pass on the correct assignment" because that is the one that you were just looking at.

"Investigate disappearance of ship in unexplored nebula? Okay, let's see what this is about... Hmmm... I don't know if I want to commit the ships that I have on this one right now. Let's see what else is available."

Now I hit the back button and decide if I want to pass on this mission or if I want to check other missions out.
    If it's the former then how hard is it to remember that I was *just* looking at "Investigate disappearance of ship in unexplored nebula"?

There are all of three missions listed on the page and I was just looking at one of them.
    A few moments ago I made a conscious decision to pick that mission out of the three.
    If all else fails the mission name is at the top of the page and the special circumstance is on that same page. I can read those details again before I hit the back button to make sure that I pass on the "correct assignment".

How is that not easy?
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    The "Plan Screen" is the screen you get when you click on the "Plan" button. It's where you assign the ships, where you see the event name, what extra rewards the event offers offers, and extra requirements the event adds. This screen is the screen that needs the Pass button.

It can have it, I agreed on that. However, I am well aware of what you were referring to. What I meant was that after a short time I knew what "Warp Core Breach Imminent!" and its brethren meant in terms of (mostly) additional requirements and additional rewards. So I was encouraging a workaround - which, agreed, shouldn't be necessary, but which will work. You get the information which extra event is included from the "main screen". If you get to know your assignments, you can decide there whether to pass or to go for it.

Disclaimer: I have an extensive roster. Unless five ENG heavy assignments with +ENG appear, I can fill almost everything. So your mileage may differ on this.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
This discussion has been closed.