test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please Help a noob player

Comments

• generic5generic5 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    Since this is my first ship and every Station on it is for Cadets only, should I train my BOffs in the 'Team' skill (Tactical Team I, Science Team I, Engineering Team I) and switch the Station skill to it, or just go with the Default skills of Torpedo: High Yield !, Emergency Power to Shields I, Tachyon Beam I?

I'm not too impressed with Torpedo: High Yield I. I can't even tell if it's really firing or not.

Nor am I that impressed with Emergency Power to Shields I. It heals the shield a little bit but that's it.

Now the Tachyon Beam I is impressive. I hit the Klingon ship with it, the computer voice tells me that Enemy's shields have failed. I then launch the Torpedo: High Yield I, but again, I can't tell any difference between it and a normal torpedo.

While on the subject of Skills, which Ground Skills should I train my BOffs in to form an efficiently ruthless Away Team?
    ~~~~~

"We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled." - Rorschach

~~~~~
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Don't go by me, but I use these until I get better options later on.

Torpedo Spread
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Torpedo:_Spread

Beam Overload
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Beams:_Overload

Engineering Team
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Engineering_Team

Science Team
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Science_Team

As to the gear from your first Captain, if it was equipped over there, then it's probably character locked. If you have an account Bank, you could sell the gear and pass the EC that way.

As to the Away Team - I just let them go. They are often better at killing the baddies then I am. One time, I died ( I was on the phone at the time ) and they finished up the fight and then came back to raise and heal me. :And that's just the regular starter Green Guys. :o You know that you suck when your BOFFs are better at winning than you are. :p

There are days when I wish that I could do some missions with BOFFs in command of my other ships as they do in a Beam Down Mission. These would be SOOOOOOOOO much easier. :)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    edited January 2019
    Putting this here for your future use.

https://alteredgamer.com/star-trek-online/66440-sto-ultimate-guide-to-ships/

https://alteredgamer.com/star-trek-online/64383-sto-guide-to-ships-tier-2-vessels/

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Cruiser_(Federation)

Very important note for when you can begin DOFFing. Do this mission as often as you can. Check for it at the location mentioned daily or whenever you remember to.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Assignment:_Turn_Over_Confiscated_Contraband
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    generic5 wrote: »
    Since this is my first ship and every Station on it is for Cadets only, should I train my BOffs in the 'Team' skill (Tactical Team I, Science Team I, Engineering Team I) and switch the Station skill to it, or just go with the Default skills of Torpedo: High Yield !, Emergency Power to Shields I, Tachyon Beam I?

I'm not too impressed with Torpedo: High Yield I. I can't even tell if it's really firing or not.

Nor am I that impressed with Emergency Power to Shields I. It heals the shield a little bit but that's it.

Now the Tachyon Beam I is impressive. I hit the Klingon ship with it, the computer voice tells me that Enemy's shields have failed. I then launch the Torpedo: High Yield I, but again, I can't tell any difference between it and a normal torpedo.

While on the subject of Skills, which Ground Skills should I train my BOffs in to form an efficiently ruthless Away Team?
    Those default skills work really good at the level you're at. You've got it figured out... beam broadside or tachyon beam then THY to finish the job. As you level up you'll have room to add some of the other "teams" to keep you alive as well as things like BFAW and Torpedo spread and eventually an attack pattern.

The default skills for your away team are pretty good as well. I don't usually touch them until they can be promoted to Commander then it's a matter of preference. Normally I replace any shield generator skill on my engineer with a mortar (and ensure they have a turret, shield recharge and weapons malfunction), and put a few heals on my 2 science officers (medical tricorder, vascular regenerator, nanite health monitor) and mix them in with a debuff (tricorder scan) and offensive stuff (tachyon harmonic, electro gravitic, hyperonic radiation).

p.s. Have you ever tried binding your torpedo to a handy mouse button? Makes firing a photon torp super quick. ESC/Options/Keybinds/Click on key/Select special keys from drop down menu/choose mouse button.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User

I've always been partial to the physical attacks: Leg Sweep & Lunge, seems to be decent and has a fun animations.
    For engineers: Minefield is very strong, but mobs have to wander into it.
    There are a couple aoe holds/pulls that Sci can do. Seismic one and gravity slow ones. Get the Winter Wonderland ground powers. They are pretty good. Not sure if there are Boff versions of them though. Holiday ones are generally pretty good. Last years freezing powers are also good. And they tend to be fairly cheap to get.

I don't use many/any? of the specialty ground powers. So don't know if there are any great ones of those.
    edited January 2019
    I got through Secret Orders and The Doomsday Device. I am now Level 8 and have to participate in a TFO next, and that will pretty much wrap up the Klingon War Arc.
    ~~~~~

"We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled." - Rorschach

~~~~~
    I got through Secret Orders and The Doomsday Device. I am now Level 8 and have to participate in a TFO next, and that will pretty much wrap up the Klingon War Arc.

giphy.gif

Now, next to [Episodes] there's a tab called [Available]. Check under there to see if your being offered any other mission to play.
    Mission_Journal.jpg?version=13fc7e432787c2a107a8552096f46654
    Also, feel free to replay a previous mission and gather gear. Do you want to drop by Dorzana Station? Let me know if you going there. :)
    Do you want to drop by Dorzana Station? Let me know if you going there. :)

Is that an Episode? If so, which one? And which story arc should I start next?

~~~~~

~~~~~
    Do you want to drop by Dorzana Station? Let me know if you going there. :)

Is that an Episode? If so, which one? And which story arc should I start next?

There used to be more to the Klingon War story and some of those Eps are there. That's why I said look under under the [Available] tab to see if they are offering these to you. If they ARE there the section marked Specters is the part you want.

Spin the Wheel, Skirmish, What Lies Beneath, Everything Old is New, Night of the Comet can be played in that order or any one or two can be played.

Skirmish is a pain, because you begin out number and swamped with two forces fighting each other and your ship ( expect to get blow'd up a few times, I always do ) and then a ground game on the last ship once defeated. Spin the Wheel is easy if you can figure out puzzles, you get a special gun for your trouble that you can use in all of the other missions ( this used to be a fav of mine ). What Lies Beneath is kind of spooky. With a bit of time travel trickery, Everything Old is New lets you meet McCoy. and Night of the Comet let's you meet Scotty.

And there are even more mission that were removed.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Klingon_War#Removed_missions

Maybe one or two of these mission will put your Captain at level 10. Or you can try the Foundry or just continue on.
    Not sure this is something you have time to do every day, or every couple or days or even weekly, but here's an option for you, if you find the time to try it. Could mean 25,000 EC for five minutes work or more depending on how you decide to do it.

https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1246162/tour-the-galaxy-for-slow-beginner-ships
    Should I begin doing something with Q's Winter Wonderland just to get it started? It only has a week left or so.

In 'The Doomsday Device', why did some of the other ships fire at me? And while I'm thinking about it, I had Full Impulse going and lined myself up for a Torpedo Run. I execute the run, launch the Torpedo, and then veer off to avoid getting blasted. For some reason, Full Impulse turned off, and wouldn't turn back on. I was trying to get out of it's line-of-sight at a snail's pace. I lost a couple of ships like that.

This Tour the Galaxy thing: Do I have to patrol each system, or just visit it? For some reason after 'The Doomsday Device', I got a 'Patrol the Donia System' mission in my log. I don't recall even accepting that mission.
    ~~~~~

~~~~~
    Should I begin doing something with Q's Winter Wonderland just to get it started? It only has a week left or so.

In 'The Doomsday Device', why did some of the other ships fire at me? And while I'm thinking about it, I had Full Impulse going and lined myself up for a Torpedo Run. I execute the run, launch the Torpedo, and then veer off to avoid getting blasted. For some reason, Full Impulse turned off, and wouldn't turn back on. I was trying to get out of it's line-of-sight at a snail's pace. I lost a couple of ships like that.

This Tour the Galaxy thing: Do I have to patrol each system, or just visit it? For some reason after 'The Doomsday Device', I got a 'Patrol the Donia System' mission in my log. I don't recall even accepting that mission.

Tour the Galaxy first: Just stay in open space and fly into/through each system. If the circle blinks out, you did it right. Get to three and you get 25,000 EC, Lather, Rinse, Repeat as needed.
    https://youtu.be/UmIiylvLdLc?t=18

Many 50 level and up players can get 500,000 or more daily. For a beginner 75,000 EC might keep you out of the poor house.

Now, about the DD: I've always done that mish by the seat of my pants method, so I have no insight on a best method. Sorry. :/
    AFAIC - If you finished, you did great. I've often literally planted myself in the things maw and fired once, got blowed up, did that again, and then a third time to finish. IMHO - Unless you're real close, the torp misses or does no damage.

Other players find it very easy. Hand-Eye coordination was never my thing and even less so as a graybeard. :p

Tour the Galaxy first: Just stay in open space and fly into/through each system. If the circle blinks out, you did it right. Get to three and you get 25,000 EC, Lather, Rinse, Repeat as needed.

Many 50 level and up players can get 500,000 or more daily. For a beginner 75,000 EC might keep you out of the poor house.

Then again, my captain does have over 1.7 Million ECs already (not to mention over 10,000 Dilithium). You said 'If the circle blinks out', which circle are you talking about?
    Now, about the DD: I've always done that mish by the seat of my pants method, so I have no insight on a best method. Sorry. :/
    AFAIC - If you finished, you did great. I've often literally planted myself in the things maw and fired once, got blowed up, did that again, and then a third time to finish. IMHO - Unless you're real close, the torp misses or does no damage.

Other players find it very easy. Hand-Eye coordination was never my thing and even less so as a graybeard. :p

I'm like you. Hand-Eye Coordination is a stranger to me..

~~~~~

~~~~~
    This vid below shows a player doing TtG in an advanced way, but at least you'll get the idea of how to use the map and drive at the same time. Just ignore the use of Quantum Slipstream Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWbT2Q9JdeY

So, once you agree to do a Tour the Galaxy, the open space map shows all the systems you can to visit in the Beta Quadrant. You'll need to experiment a bit to get a real feel for how to do it. Just try it and see if you like it. I get that low Warp feels like "crawling" so not a lot of people like doing TtG without QS Drive or TransSpeed Jumps.
    Yes.

You can get a free transwarp to ESD by clicking on the advertisement on the far left of your screen after pressing J (photo above). You may have to scroll to that event by clicking on the arrows below it. After getting there:

1) accept your free ornament from Q, unlock the winter store under reputation / events... it's a slot-able project. Have a look at what the event vendor in the central square has to offer. Snow boots can come in handy. That grenade ain't bad either when you hit level 50.

2) slot the project for the winter event ship under reputation / events. Q's WW ends Jan 17 but that is a free Tier 6 ship you can get by doing the race next year.

***After the event ends you won't be able to slot the project for the ship - the project for the free ship will no longer be available ever again, nor will you be able to unlock the event store (until next December).
    protoneous wrote: »

You can get a free transwarp to ESD by clicking on the advertisement on the far left of your screen after pressing J (photo above). You may have to scroll to that event by clicking on the arrows below it. After getting there:

1) accept your free ornament from Q, unlock the winter store under reputation / events... it's a slot-able project. Have a look at what the event vendor in the central square has to offer. Snow boots can come in handy. That grenade ain't bad either when you hit level 50.

2) slot the project for the winter event ship under reputation / events. Q's WW ends Jan 17 but that is a free Tier 6 ship you can get by doing the race next year.

***After the event ends you won't be able to slot the project for the ship - the project for the free ship will no longer be available ever again, nor will you be able to unlock the event store (until next December).

The winter store is unlocked, and the free ship project is slotted. Thanks for the help! :)

There is a mission available from Grym ('Illicit Goods' I think it's called). Can I do that mish now or should I wait until I'm higher level? And what exactly is the mish?

~~~~~

~~~~~
    There is a mission available from Grym ('Illicit Goods' I think it's called). Can I do that mish now or should I wait until I'm higher level? And what exactly is the mish?
    I'd totally forgotten about that mission. I wonder what that Ferengi is up to these days?
    protoneous wrote: »

The winter store is unlocked, and the free ship project is slotted. Thanks for the help! :)

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Unlocking_the_Box

You can do it once on one Character. You get two Keys. It exists to give players a "taste" of opening LockBoxes. Just a randon vid on Lock Boxes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlpS-xuetWs
    edited January 2019
    Here's Quark's take on Lockboxes.
    https://youtu.be/4apj7rwW8x0?t=2408
    Hmm... The autotime thing is not working so push it to 40 Minutes to hear his remarks.
    A simple note about Tribbles...

Breeding.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Tribble_Breeding

Special Foods.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Comet_Cocktail

Special Tribbles - Free types
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Triolic_Tribble

There used to be more to the Klingon War story and some of those Eps are there. That's why I said look under under the [Available] tab to see if they are offering these to you. If they ARE there the section marked Specters is the part you want.

Spin the Wheel, Skirmish, What Lies Beneath, Everything Old is New, Night of the Comet can be played in that order or any one or two can be played.

Skirmish is a pain, because you begin out number and swamped with two forces fighting each other and your ship ( expect to get blow'd up a few times, I always do ) and then a ground game on the last ship once defeated. Spin the Wheel is easy if you can figure out puzzles, you get a special gun for your trouble that you can use in all of the other missions ( this used to be a fav of mine ). What Lies Beneath is kind of spooky. With a bit of time travel trickery, Everything Old is New lets you meet McCoy. and Night of the Comet let's you meet Scotty.

And there are even more mission that were removed.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Klingon_War#Removed_missions

Maybe one or two of these mission will put your Captain at level 10. Or you can try the Foundry or just continue on.

So I've finished the Klingon War Arc, and I looked under the Available tab. None of the missions that you listed are available (and there is no section called Specters). Maybe it got removed for some reason.

Oh well . . . Onward and upward!
    ~~~~~

~~~~~
    edited January 2019
    I started the story arc with Empress Sela (can't remember the name off hand). Seriously, I remember what Denise Crosby (who played Sela on ST:TNG) looked like . . . Is that seriously the best that the devs could do? Yikes!

I am now Level 10, and on ESD ready to pick a new ship. Which would be best for my TAC Captain?

I have 6 Space Skill Points and 2 Ground Skill Points to spend. Which should I spend them on? And as I spend them, I sometimes get a choice of Skills. Which would be best?

And can someone recommend a free image hosting site so I can post pics here?
    ~~~~~

~~~~~
    I'm about to go to bed, but I can answer a few questions...

About ships - I always go for the one with the most Hull regardless of Career Path, so that's...
    1200px-Federation_Cruiser.png?version=6fedbd2632e2301a58c6c14980cc9ebd
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Cruiser_(Federation)

It's lacks the maneuverability of an Escort, typically favored by TACs, but with a few SIFs and good shield Regen, it hangs in a fight longer. Or at least it does for me. If hand-eye coordination is not you friend, get chummy with High Hull. Just my style, you might like a zippy ship.

Anyway, it gives you a chance to fly a Connie Refit and a little bit of nostalgia for Trek of old and that's a nice bonus. :smiley:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill

Space skills - For now, I, personally go with those Hull Regen ones early.

Ground Skills - I'm going to have to check my Captains, but same as ship, add to you Health Regen and Shields Regen first.

As always, it's all just how I do it. You picked TAC, I picked ENG, so maybe you'll go another way. :/
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    I am now Level 10, and on ESD ready to pick a new ship. Which would be best for my TAC Captain?

I have 6 Space Skill Points and 2 Ground Skill Points to spend. Which should I spend them on? And as I spend them, I sometimes get a choice of Skills. Which would be best?

And can someone recommend a free image hosting site so I can post pics here?

I would try a different ship category to see what kind of ship you may like.

To make your mission easier, better focus on survivability.
    Space, 2 points Hull Capacity, 1 Hull restoration, 1 shield restoration, 1 Shield Capacity and 1 Energy Weapons Training.
    Ground, Kit Performance Expert and Kit Efficiency.

https://imgur.com/upload
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • br3akingforcebr3akingforce Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    https://startrek.44thfleet.com/beginners-guide-faqs/

since hand-eye coordination seems to not be your thing, i'd suggest paying especially close attention to the "how do i get better in space combat" section, and giving the Hilbert keybinds a try.

also, 44th is still very active and is (always) accepting applications. Since we promote based on time in the fleet, we use the applications as more of a record for when people joined than anything else...I've never seen anyone turned away from membership.
    Escorts – do heavy damage with their dual heavy cannons, but weak hull and shields. Compact designs, very maneuverable. Preferred for a ‘fighter-like’ playstyle.
    Cruisers – average damage through all beams but strong hulls and decent shields. Lowest turn rate. Preferred ‘tank’ class.
    Science Vessels – specializes on healing, debuffing and damage through exotic powers like Gravity Well. Average hulls but strong shields. Are the ‘space wizards’ in STO.

Now that's a pretty good basic description of ship types. For my money, SCI ships are just a bit too complicated and the loss of two weapons slots on ant T6 ship just is not worth the buffs and "Magic.".

That said, experimentation is not a bad thing. In my beginning time on STO, I created one of each: TAC, ENG, SCI. As I leveled each, I quickly decided that ENGs were for me. I can handle a SCI and a TAC now, but when I need to be serious and get a New mission done quickly, I use my main, and that's an ENG flying a Resolute.
    ResoluteClass.png
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Advanced_Heavy_Cruiser_(T6)

And since I had to pay for that, ALL my Captains fly in one unless it's one of the give-aways from an Event. Like the Kobali Samsar. That was my first free ship from the year I began. Other than my Resolute, it's my fav ship. I use the gear from that mission and the engine from the Samsar on all my ships, too. They make my ship seem extra Healy.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Kobali_Samsar_Cruiser
    I am now Level 10

See my post this thread page 3 about post #13. There's a link at the bottom of the post with a suggested skill tree that should take you to about the start of level 30 and some related suggestions as to where to put your initial points at the top. For ground a point each into Kit Performance and Weapon Proficiency should be fine for now.

For the choice of skills at the bottom I'd suggest: Engineering: (5 points) Battery Expertise, (10 points) Subsystem Repair. Science: (5 pts) Sector Space Travel Speed, (10 points) Maximum Shield Capacity. Tactical: (5 points) leave this blank for now, (10 points) Projectile Critical Chance.

Then again, my captain does have over 1.7 Million ECs already (not to mention over 10,000 Dilithium). You said 'If the circle blinks out', which circle are you talking about?

First of all, remember that there's a thing called Trans Warp and your ship doesn't have that yet. It's for really big jumps to different location. The only Trans you can do now is back to ESD. Quantum Slipstream is also not available until level 50. That alone will make getting 500,000 EC in fifteen minutes a real possibility.
    450px-SlipstreamGraphicalEffect.png?version=6ebe995f8ede10e1c1e61df476d31946

This vid below shows a player doing TtG in an advanced way, but at least you'll get the idea of how to use the map and drive at the same time.

So, once you agree to do a Tour the Galaxy, the open space map shows all the systems you can to visit in the Beta Quadrant. You'll need to experiment a bit to get a real feel for how to do it. Just try it and see if you like it. I get that low Warp feels like "crawling" so not a lot of people like doing TtG without QS Drive or TransSpeed Jumps. :/

edited January 2019
    I can't seem to get rid of all these Dups. Maybe it require a dev to fix it. :/

Post edited by zedbrightlander1 on

First of all, remember that there's a thing called Trans Warp and your ship doesn't have that yet. It's for really big jumps to different location. The only Trans you can do now is back to ESD. Quantum Slipstream is also not available until level 50. That alone will make getting 500,000 EC in fifteen minutes a real possibility.

This vid below shows a player doing TtG in an advanced way, but at least you'll get the idea of how to use the map and drive at the same time.

So, once you agree to do a Tour the Galaxy, the open space map shows all the systems you can to visit in the Beta Quadrant. You'll need to experiment a bit to get a real feel for how to do it. Just try it and see if you like it. I get that low Warp feels like "crawling" so not a lot of people like doing TtG without QS Drive or TransSpeed Jumps. :/

This discussion has been closed.