test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tear Down the Walls!

Why not just add "The Alliance" as an actual faction, put ALL playable races into it and then merge all of us into it. That way everyone will be able to wear everything and fly everything. Let the race we choose determine which origin story plays out.

Why not? I mean it isn't like Cryptic is going to be doing anything with PvP, and we know full well that they are done with faction-specific content. So why not go ahead and make the changes necessary to make the game into exactly how development is being approached: A single faction MMO where everyone is technically on the same side.

And if they did decide to do something meaningful with PvP, they can always let species determine what side we are on. Sort of the reverse of how it works now. Instead of this faction only lets you play these species, it would be these species only let you play this faction. Of course some species could choose both such as Romulans and Cardassians, and the factions need not be KDF or UFP, but rather what would make sense for whatever PvP scenario is involved.

And if they did decide to do faction specific content again, the same treatment could be applied.

So if they are going to homogenize the game. let them go ahead and do it. We are all supposed to be part of the alliance, one big happy family, and yet the game's current design still has so many ways in place that divide us.

Cryptic!
TEAR DOWN THESE WALLS
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Why not just add "The Alliance" as an actual faction, put ALL playable races into it and then merge all of us into it.

Red vs blue mechanic leftover from original code.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,435 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I do not believe he stopped at the first sentence. He is correct about the legacy coding causing problems. Though I am more in favor of the factions having some unique stuff that is only for that faction even if they are part of the Alliance. Otherwise, it just makes all the factions seem boring to me, different origin, but same stuff. I am in favor of keeping the walls left over but allowing some freedom.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I do not believe he stopped at the first sentence. He is correct about the legacy coding causing problems. Though I am more in favor of the factions having some unique stuff that is only for that faction even if they are part of the Alliance. Otherwise, it just makes all the factions seem boring to me, different origin, but same stuff. I am in favor of keeping the walls left over but allowing some freedom.

"Causing problems" is putting it mildly, from past dev interviews the faction mechanic is hard coded into STO and prohibitively difficult to remove. Google. "hox genes" in development and embryology, it's pretty much like that. Things like gender, faction choice, and species choice are set very far back in the chain of dependencies which go into building your character, from a technical point of view. They can't be readily altered without causing huge disruptions to other systems. Ie. it would break the game and require a rebuild.

If there was going to be an STO 2 and Cryptic had the opportunity to engineer a new system from the ground up, this is something they'll probably consider (as they did for, say, Neverwinter in eschewing factions in the Horde/Alliance mode.) But for STO it's not at all likely, from what we've been told. Hence:
    Red vs blue mechanic leftover from original code.

That's the short of it.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,294 Community Moderator
    This is not going to happen and Cryptic has already said as much in various interviews. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.