test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trying to trigger a map transition from a condition of the player. Any suggestions?

I searched but I may have overlooked something. I'm trying to trigger a map transition once the player is rendered unconscious by conditions in the room they are in. I've already got the room setup to knock out the player. Any ideas? Also, if anyone has ideas about giving the new map qualities like when players talk with the Prophets, that would be helpful as well.

Answers

• marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    If you’ve already got them being knocked out you could possibly trigger a map change once the task is completed
  • oncarou#9067 oncarou Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    That's what I'm trying to do, but being the first time I've tried to create anything in the Foundry, I don't know where to set "be knocked out" as a task so that it can be completed.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    That's what I'm trying to do, but being the first time I've tried to create anything in the Foundry, I don't know where to set "be knocked out" as a task so that it can be completed.

Well, there's a few animations you can use for falling over or being knocked out. Try this: Spawn an invisible object over where you expect the PC to be (I'm guessing you're gassing the player in a locked room or something similar?) and use it for an "Interact with Object" objective. You can set the animation to be "lying on the floor twitching" or something to that effect, and then do the map transition afterwards. Be sure to edit the interaction text on the map page.

Ah, the STO Foundry, the only place in the world where the phrase "knock yourself out" is literal. :tongue:
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »

Well, there's a few animations you can use for falling over or being knocked out. Try this: Spawn an invisible object over where you expect the PC to be (I'm guessing you're gassing the player in a locked room or something similar?) and use it for an "Interact with Object" objective. You can set the animation to be "lying on the floor twitching" or something to that effect, and then do the map transition afterwards. Be sure to edit the interaction text on the map page.

Ah, the STO Foundry, the only place in the world where the phrase "knock yourself out" is literal. :tongue:
    I've gotten things to a point where I can knock the player out, by making a space volume visible, but then it seems like I have to wait for the respawn prompt to continue. I'm new to the Foundry, so it's probably best to assume I haven't got the faintest idea what I'm doing.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

I've gotten things to a point where I can knock the player out, by making a space volume visible, but then it seems like I have to wait for the respawn prompt to continue. I'm new to the Foundry, so it's probably best to assume I haven't got the faintest idea what I'm doing.

Yeah, that's just "killing" the player character. You can't use that to trigger anything in the Foundry.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Some missions use a trick with respawn points to move the player character when they respawn. You can't really make dying an objective, but you can make it where they have to die to continue to the next objective.

The basic gist of it is that when you respawn you respawn at the point most recently triggered, but it's not necessarily a place you're been to. What you need to do:
    1: setup a location to kill the player(which you've figured out already)
    2: place a respawn point at the location you want to move the player to. With this it's a good idea to tweak the radius of the respawn point so that it is certain to be triggered from the location where you plan to kill the player.
    3: Then when they respawn they'll be in a location previously inaccessible. now you just have to continue the mission from there.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Some missions use a trick with respawn points to move the player character when they respawn. You can't really make dying an objective, but you can make it where they have to die to continue to the next objective.

The basic gist of it is that when you respawn you respawn at the point most recently triggered, but it's not necessarily a place you're been to. What you need to do:
    2: place a respawn point at the location you want to move the player to. With this it's a good idea to tweak the radius of the respawn point so that it is certain to be triggered from the location where you plan to kill the player.
    3: Then when they respawn they'll be in a location previously inaccessible. now you just have to continue the mission from there.

I'm assuming the respawn point has to be on the same map.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User

I'm assuming the respawn point has to be on the same map.
    Yes, you can't have respawn act as a map transition in the foundry. That said due to the longer load times it's preferble to have as few maps as it's possible to keep actually map transitions (and thus long load times between maps) to as few as possible.