Install Arc

An end to the argument about faction-agnostic content

124»

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,244 Community Moderator
    So, have we ended the argument yet? :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    For instance on vulcan when you need to get clearance for lack of a better word for it to take the vulcan to the monastery. A vulcan could indicate that they question the logic of preventing the visit. Any one from the klingon empire could indicate annoyance at having the delay to deal with. When the imposter is exposed any telepathic race could indicate that they had a feeling of unrest from the imposter.

On the mission you are fixing sela's ship when you locate the saboteur a romulan could indicate displeasure in adopting these tactics. Klingons could chose to leave him in sela's hands.

On any mission. A tac officer could indicate they have a bad feeling and are on alert. a sci could indicate a discrepancy in reading or the bio filter having a issue. An engineer could indicate a alteration to a item not the norm.
    ANYONE could have all of those responses, it doesn't need to be tied to race or class or whatever.

But unless saying those things actually meant something, it would still be just buttons that do nothing but continue the NPC monologue same as ever. And it is indeed a waste of dev time to go through missions adding buttons that do nothing.
    You may find and of these possible examples a useless addition and a wast of time so be it. I am not interested in arguing any of this with you. To me it would seam a compromise that would end all this crying for faction content as it would provide it why letting them make a faction agnostic story for the over all picture. Is that not what this thread is about ending the argument about faction agnostic content?
    Nothing will end the arguments over faction content, certainly not any kind of compromise. Cryptic declaring they didn't intend to make anymore faction content after the war was over should've ended it, but here we are years later still going at it. The complainers claim everything is "too Fed" just because it's not neck deep in their preferred stereotype of klingon. Not much to do about that. Even if Cryptic added real exclusive content (which they won't), the complainers would still say it's "Fed sidekick" or whatever.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    F-O-U-N-D-R-Y. Foundry is your friend if you are looking for "Faction" related missions. Matter of fact, they just did a entire series of them for Jem'Hadars and Cardassians. :)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    So, have we ended the argument yet? :smirk:

For me? Yes. For some other people? Clearly not... LOL

Had factions existed as origin stories from the very beginning, there would be no argument at all. But that was not the purpose for factions in the beginning. They existed originally as two separate experiences in the game, though the KDF side was PvE content-lite. PWE directed Cryptic to eliminate that disparity. I remember when we were told that they were given the green light to make KDF fully levelable from min to max AND introduce a Romulan faction that could also be leveled from Min to Max, because to PWE "it only made sense." Too bad that it didn't make sense to them to open the purse strings so Cryptic could hire more staff to make them truly independent of each other.

BUT... the answer was already spelled out in Star Trek canon. The birth of a great alliance of sovereign civilizations.

After the Hobus disaster, Romulan isolationism was no longer the answer for the surviving Romulan people.

After the Praxis disaster, Klingon conquest-centric mindsets were no longer the answer.

After the Dominion War, the Cardassian superiority complex was no longer the answer.

And for the Dominion, the fact that when the war was ended, the federation made no attempt to subjugate or persecute Dominion interest was proof that the Founders need not have even started the war to begin with. The Federation was a union of souls that would have accepted Shape Shifters rather than fearing them.

And so now we have the Alliance. And like I said before, its ideals and precepts being Federation-oriented make sense, because they have been proven to WORK. And when we play STO, we are no longer acting as representatives of the Federation, of the Klingon Empire, of the Romulan Republic, or of the Dominion, though we started out as such. We are acting as representatives of the Galactic Alliance.

What I would like to see, when STO eventually shuts down (nothing lasts forever), is the formalization of the Alliance as a real and true galactic civilization. Much like Enterprise ended with the signing of the Federation charter. And it would be cool if the last thing we see is the unveiling of the monument to the Federation that Daniels spoke of...

That's all well and good for thematically homogenizing PvE… But something still needs to be done about PvP. Cryptic may not LIKE it, but it IS a part of this game. A core part, at that. And it cannot be simply removed like exploration was, without Hellfire and Brimstone from the community. The challenge is to reconcile it with the Alliance narrative. But that would be a discussion for another thread.

As far as I am concerned, this one has run its course, and everyone seems to be talking in circles at this stage. Feel free to close it.
    Everyone has been talking in circles about this for years. I always promise myself not to respond to it, since it never goes anywhere, but somehow it's a topic that's hard to stay away from. I would expect it's the same for others, which is why it always rears its head again.

But ultimately there is no solution because the argument is just some people not liking Cryptic's storyline and artistic vision. That's just inevitable. Everyone can't like everything.
This discussion has been closed.