test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WHAT HAPPENED to Discovery phasers!???

1235»

Comments

• kidinthehall#2744 kidinthehall Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    And I've got boxes of unopened Discovery weapon packs was hoping to get better use out if them as opposed to selling them but I really don't want to keep using these things.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    evlripper wrote: »
    And I've got boxes of unopened Discovery weapon packs was hoping to get better use out if them as opposed to selling them but I really don't want to keep using these things.

They ought to sell well when the vfx does get fixed.

Edit: on an alt using DSC Phasers & Tetryon, I was getting several small bolts when the beams connected w/a target; long bloated streaks when they missed.
    Post edited by sarvour0 on
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I'm sad that so many of us STO lovers are upset about this glitchy graphic.

Yet I am glad so many of us agree. I don't think ever in the history of the forums has there been a long thread like this which has so much agreement!

I do not get the sense that we are complaining. We love this game and want the best for it. I've spent lots of real money on it.

The kicker is how they were SOOOOO PERFECT before the Age of Discovery update.
    I think the original Discovery Sensor Linked weapon effects were possibly the most accurate to screed effects in STO other than the Photon torpedoes. This game has always had a more cartoonish look but in recent years has been getting closer to screen accurate, especially with Thomas Marone's and the new designers help.

Yet we still have no acknowledgement about this issue....

The way the Discovery weapons compress to slow moving fat blobs as you fly toward a target while firing, then elongate to stretched out beams when they miss and fire off in to space suggests it's OBVIOUSLY a bug. It wasnt intentional.

And yet.... no acknowledgement still... Even just to say they know about this issue, and yes it's a bug would make me feel better and continue to invest in discovery content.

I don't want to use my discovery ships with out the proper weapons, and these weapons look so atrocious that they break immersion, especially because I was SO in love with the original discovery weapons to begin with.

Please someone from the team investigate this and let us know!
    Has the OP made a corresponding thread in https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/categories/gameplay-bug-reports ?
    Should this thread get moved there?
    4073703.jpg
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
    sarvour0 wrote: »
    Has the OP made a corresponding thread in https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/categories/gameplay-bug-reports ?
    Should this thread get moved there?

I can try making a corresponding thread but Bad Moon scolded me for making multiple threads of the same topic. Normally a thread this long with this many thousands of views gets the glance of the devs or Taco.

I am unsure as to why it has not been acknowledged at all.

I'll look in to making another thread of this topic in bug reports, try to comment on it and add to it,
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Well, make sure that there isn't a bug report already first.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Well, make sure that there isn't a bug report already first.

I looked but could not find any. IF there was one I missed it, that is why I asked the question in my last post.
    4073703.jpg

Still holding out hope for some acknowledgment. Would like to see this fixed.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    So the possible reasons for this could be nerfed For Balance, couldn't have the unique explosions and the old discovery weapons at the same time do to in game limitations. It could be a bug they have yet to fix. But if they are slowed down and don't hit a target as fast as they did then its more then likely a nerf. To bring them down to par with other in game weapons. But if not maybe a performance bug with the weapons unique explosion effects. So it could be anything.

My best guess is they made the change maybe to nerf them. If they had rapid fire speeds faster then a speeding bullet rapid hit, then they would kill things a lot faster. So they more then likely slowed them down and changed them to compensate and balance them. Its still a game and they have to have some form of balance even if it goes against canon in order to do it. Some ships have so many weapons and phaser ports in canon and they don't in game.
    For example the Scimitar had 52 disruptor banks and 27 photon torpedo bays but in game they are limited to the amount of weapon slots they have. It cannot have 52 disruptor banks and 27 photon torpedoes being fired at the same time. So you will find a lot of stuff with ships is pretty limited compared to the canon versions.

Worlds will never be on scale and weapons won't be like they are in the canon shows. Because of the limitations of both the game engine and mmo mechanics and balancing. They can get close or make them accurate but if it gets in the way of game mechanics or performance or balancing then they will switch it even if the players are for or against it. Game performance is the reason why Fireworks can only be used in space. And why they won't add in a system where players ships can be seen from the earth space dock window. They tried it and it just killed performance. If I recall reading that somewhere. Not sure if they did that or not but I think they did try the earth space dock seeing your ship from the window thing. But the game could not handle it so they abandoned it rather quickly.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    My best guess is they made the change maybe to nerf them. If they had rapid fire speeds faster then a speeding bullet rapid hit, then they would kill things a lot faster. So they more then likely slowed them down and changed them to compensate and balance them.
    That doesn't make any sense because the firing speed is purely visual and there is no way to react to the shots either way.

Then it could be a performance issue do to the coding. Or a mess up within the coding. But like I said it could be anything. The nerf was only one theory it might be the added explosion effect as well when they did it they had to change it or it bugged out and they were changed because of it. Besides given the time it takes for them to fix a bug sometimes some of them might take hours or days to fix. Since they have such a busy release schedule they only have so many devs to work on the bugs. 31 main developers give or take, to work on all this content. Its understandable why they have not fixed it or have not gotten to it yet.
    My best guess is they made the change maybe to nerf them. If they had rapid fire speeds faster then a speeding bullet rapid hit, then they would kill things a lot faster. So they more then likely slowed them down and changed them to compensate and balance them.
    That doesn't make any sense because the firing speed is purely visual and there is no way to react to the shots either way.

Then it could be a performance issue do to the coding. Or a mess up within the coding. But like I said it could be anything. The nerf was only one theory it might be the added explosion effect as well when they did it they had to change it or it bugged out and they were changed because of it. Besides given the time it takes for them to fix a bug sometimes some of them might take hours or days to fix. Since they have such a busy release schedule they only have so many devs to work on the bugs. 31 main developers give or take, to work on all this content. Its understandable why they have not fixed it or have not gotten to it yet.

YEah it isn't a nerf, it is clearly a bug because they look hideous when they shrink to slow moving blobs as you fly toward your target to close range, and then stretch to ugly long lines when they miss targets.

It's worrisome there's still no acknowledgement. I have been too busy with Holidays and work to make a post in bug forums, but I will if no one else does. This needs to be fixed!!!
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User

YEah it isn't a nerf, it is clearly a bug because they look hideous when they shrink to slow moving blobs as you fly toward your target to close range, and then stretch to ugly long lines when they miss targets.

It's worrisome there's still no acknowledgement. I have been too busy with Holidays and work to make a post in bug forums, but I will if no one else does. This needs to be fixed!!!

so what exactly is the "bug"? since they stil work the same way all beams does.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    felisean wrote: »

so what exactly is the "bug"? since they stil work the same way all beams does.

The posters are calling the way the DSC phaser pulses bunch up or stretch out depending on if you are closing range with your target, opening range, or even miss the target altogether, a "visual bug". It can be considered that I guess but I am not sure what the devs could do about it since the jaggies on tetryon beams and whatnot do the same thing and I doubt it would be practical to write an entirely new routine just for DSC pulse phasers.

On the other hand, there has been a lot of comments about how it seems to have started around the same time the poofs the pulses make when the hit the target did so it could be those added poofs are causing problems and that could be fixed if so.

I kind of wonder if they started out using the cannon mechanics instead of the beam ones and that is the difference or something though.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    My hot takes:

I'm going to guess that the TWoK phaser sound effects sound great in short bursts, but would sound like TRIBBLE in long, extended, spacebar-mashing sessions. That said, I think the sound engine in ST:O has the ability to either A) play different pitch variations on the flay or B) Reference multiple sound assets for the same trigger, which could be used as a work around. In other words, if the TWoK phaser sound effects were screen-accurate, randomizing the pitch somewhat would not make them seem so monotonous.

As for the Kelvin Timeline phasers, there is literally NO reason why the sound effects were not screen accurate from the getgo. The Sounds are literally stock effects and, TRIBBLE, Babylon 5 was the first to use them for their Starfury fighters ffs!
    T93uSC8.jpg
    My hot takes:

I'm going to guess that the TWoK phaser sound effects sound great in short bursts, but would sound like TRIBBLE in long, extended, spacebar-mashing sessions. That said, I think the sound engine in ST:O has the ability to either A) play different pitch variations on the flay or B) Reference multiple sound assets for the same trigger, which could be used as a work around. In other words, if the TWoK phaser sound effects were screen-accurate, randomizing the pitch somewhat would not make them seem so monotonous.

As for the Kelvin Timeline phasers, there is literally NO reason why the sound effects were not screen accurate from the getgo. The Sounds are literally stock effects and TRIBBLE, Babylon 5 was the first to use them for their Starfuries!

Even though you posted that a thousand times, (perhaps due to internet issues
    I agree. But alas we do not understand some of the complexity of licensing issues and then there's simply the ease of using a sufficient albeit inaccurate effect because the actual movies didn't care to keep track of how and who created the sound fx.

Star trek was original in it's truest forms, but new trek just fills in gaps with stock TRIBBLE. The interior of the Discovery starships look identical to any generic sci fi, X-men, DC Universe nonsense there is. The problem with new trek is that it ignores the philosophy and ingenuity of original. The actual Military came to visit the set of the original enterprise because it "made sense"!

Ayway, back to the Discovery sensor linked weapons in STO:

FIX THEM PLEASE!!!! Make them the way they were before the Age of Discovery release. The sensor linked weapons were much better looking before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why wont Taco Fangs or ANYONE acknowledge this?
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The interior of the Discovery starships look identical to any generic sci fi,

Yes, because they're identical to the TMP era interiors bit more blue lighting. ST is generic sci-fi and no interior from the franchise would look out of place in an other sci-fi show except the TOS one.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • quickdraw74quickdraw74 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Kelvin Phasers have changed appearance too. Not deep red like they were before the update. They look sort of grey now. Might just be me.

https://imgur.com/J7xD2C7
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    The interior of the Discovery starships look identical to any generic sci fi,

Yes, because they're identical to the TMP era interiors bit more blue lighting. ST is generic sci-fi and no interior from the franchise would look out of place in an other sci-fi show except the TOS one.​​

According to the set designers they are actually based on "The Undiscovered Country" interiors with the caveat that they have to be at least forty percent different because CBS does not have the movie rights. Part of that difference is the darker blueish lighting and hideous paint pallet apparently.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Kelvin Phasers have changed appearance too. Not deep red like they were before the update. They look sort of grey now. Might just be me.

What the hell? :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User

That is not the phaser. You were shooting the Kelvin Lens Flare at them.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited January 2019

The pulses in your picture appear more like the Proton Charge Launcher, with the blobs of energy those fire being grey (Edit: just realized those are coming from the wrong spot to be that console). Do you have any Vaadwaur Polaron Emitters? Those also look like that, and I've been having some weird inventory glitches lately (things shoved to inventory and/or my shuttle, but maybe something got pulled into the emptied spots on your ship).

On my character at least, the Regular Kelvin Timeline Emitter Array weapons are still red, as is the Broadside Emitter Arrays console (at least the parts that are not torps), just tested them.
    Post edited by tom61sto on
    Was really hoping the new discovery update would have fixed these. Still nothing from Cryptic.
    evlripper wrote: »
    Was really hoping the new discovery update would have fixed these. Still nothing from Cryptic.

Yep still nothing!!! You know we wouldn't complain about this if they were always this horrible.
    The irony is THEY HAD THE DISCOVERY PHASERS AND DISRUPTORS PERFECT AND SCREEN ACCURATE FOR MOST OF LAST YEAR!!!!!!!! When the Age of Discovery Update came out, and they added explosion impact FX, the Phasers and Disruptors seem to be globby thick ugly dull glitchy FX now, which do not shine bright or move in any way similar to the show.

It feels like the Devs just don't want to acknowledge this.

The screen art of the Mirror Discovery firing more TOS looking Phaser Beams at the Vulcan T'Pau ship would be way better than these hideous discovery pulse phasers at this point.... I hate the way they ruined our Discovery phaser FX so much I have been using TOS beam weapons just because the pulse phaser FX are so ugly since Age of Discovery "update".

Sorry Devs, I love you guys and ladies but you gotta return the Discovery phasers to the way they were before please!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2019
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    They were changed. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.