test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Welcome Back" screen appears on each login (not only the first)

frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
Holodeck ticket 4,798,939 (submitted on 12/14/2018)

The "Welcome Back" screen appears each time I log in to a character.

1. If I log in to the same character multiple times within the same game session, I see the "Welcome Back" screen each time I log in.
2. If I log in to different characters within the same game session, I see the "Welcome Back" screen on every character.
3. If I restart the game client and log in to the same characters again, I see the "Welcome Back" screen again on every character.

This bug has occurred several times before. It started happening again after the patch on 12/13/2018. The patch notes for 12/13/2018 say:
Resolved an issue that was causing the Welcome Screen to no longer appear when first logging in.
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11019223-pc-patch-notes-for-12/13/18

But there is nothing "first" about it. It's neither first in a "per account" sense nor in a "per character" sense. At the time of this writing, the morning of 12/14/2018, I see the "Welcome Back" screen on each and every login. The only exceptions are my level 6 Romulan and level 6 Reman, who don't see the "Welcome Back" screen at all. I suspect that the "Welcome Back" screen does not appear until after you finish the tutorial, where the meaning of the "tutorial" extends beyond the initial mission on Virinat for Romulan-faction characters.

Steps to reproduce

1. Choose two characters who have completed the tutorials for their factions. Let's call them A and B.
2. Start the game client and log in to your account.
3. Select character A and click "Play". Observe that the "Welcome Back" screen appears.
4. Press Esc and click "Change Character".
5. Select character B and click "Play". Observe that the "Welcome Back" screen appears.
6. Press Esc and click "Change Character".
7. Select character A and click "Play". Observe that the "Welcome Back" screen appears.
8. Exit the game client. Then repeat steps 2 through 7.

History of the bug

On 05/10/2018, the "Welcome Back" screen was added to the game; the main menu (accessed by pressing the Esc key) was also changed to show the same information as the "Welcome Back" screen. The patch notes for 05/10/2018 say:
Landing Page
  • The new Landing Page will spotlight some features within Star Trek Online and provide quicker access to what is on the page.
  • This new page will appear upon logging in and when exiting the game by use of the Esc key.
  • Players who are below level 10 will not see this page upon log in.
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10898193-pc-patch-notes-for-5/10/18

As far as I'm aware, the last statement above was never correct. I see both the "Welcome Back" screen and the new main menu on my level 3 Ferengi. As far as I can tell, the determining factor is not character level, but whether you have finished the tutorial.

On 05/10/2018, Ambassador Kael wrote:
Hey folks, we'll be making some changes to the landing page in an upcoming update - it was intended to only appear once per account, not once per character.
http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13365511/#Comment_13365511

Shortly afterward, the "Welcome Back" screen was changed to appear only once per account per game session.

On 06/14/2018, a patch was released which was supposed to fix an issue with the "Welcome Back" screen appearing on every map transfer.
Resolved an issue which was causing the Landing Page to appear upon every map transfer for many players.
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10926453-pc-patch-notes-for-6/14/18

But after the patch, players noticed that the "Welcome Back" screen was once again appearing on each character login. On 06/15/2018, Farranor wrote:
farranor wrote: »
After the patch today that was supposed to prevent the landing page from showing up on map transfers, the landing page is once again showing up every time I switch to a new character.
http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13383998/#Comment_13383998

A few days later, the bug went away by itself without a patch. On 06/18/2018, I wrote:
frtoaster wrote: »
On Thursday night and Friday morning, every time I ran the game client, I saw the "Welcome Back" window on every character I logged on to (except for low-level Romulan-faction toons). Since other people reported the same thing, it definitely wasn't just me. There was no selective reinterpretation; it was clearly bugged. If you didn't see it, maybe you logged on after they changed something. I'm no longer seeing the "Welcome Back" window on every character, and I'm pretty sure I've done nothing on my end to change that. I'm starting to think it's a server-side switch that has to be flipped manually after every maintenance.
http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13385241/#Comment_13385241

The bug returned on 06/28/2018, but there is no mention of the "Welcome Back" screen or the landing page in the patch notes for that date.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10939673-pc-patch-notes-for-6/28/18

On 06/29/2018, I wrote:
I'm seeing the "Welcome Back" screen on multiple characters per game session again. Is anyone else seeing this?
http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13390050/#Comment_13390050

After some discussion, we discovered that the bug behaved differently this time. On 07/03/2018, I wrote:
1. The "Welcome Back" window will appear the first time you log on to each character after [the] patch.

2. The first character you log on to after the starting the game client will see the "Welcome Back" window. Any other character will not see the "Welcome Back" window if he or she has already seen it once after the patch.
http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13391701/#Comment_13391701

On 12/13/2018, the bug has returned once again. This time, the "Welcome Back" screen appears every time you log in to a character; it doesn't go away no matter how many times you log in to the same character or how many times you restart the game client.
Waiting for a programmer ...
qVpg1km.png

Comments

• anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    It appears after you've finished the tutorial for Feds and Klingons, but not until you've chosen an alliance for Jem'Hadar. I suspect the same holds true for Romulans, but I haven't created a new one since the landing Page was introduced. It might also not show up until you come to 2409 for the 2 time-displaced alternate Fed starting story types, but I honestly didn't pay that much attention to that when I created my Discovery character.

Some of those later recurrences of it showing up on multiple characters are part of an undocumented behavior of the Landing Page that appears to be intentional, that it shows up for every character after any of the panes of the thing have changed, and this is what I suspect is causing the occurrences now. There are multiple events being advertised through the Landing Page right now, and it's shuffling between them, sometimes even swapping them among the top and bottom left side panes. With that, you are likely to get a different version of the thing from the last version that you saw for every character that you log in.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Is the team that work on the Welcome Page aware of the behavior observed by @anodynes ?????

When ads for multiple events scroll through on the STO Welcome Page, it effects how often the program displays it to players on character log ins? There, also, seems to be some correlation between the position of the different ads on the various panels in the Welcome Page. He has observed this happen on several occasions since the inception of the Welcome Page to the STO program.

As far as I knew....it only displays once per character sign in, and stops on subsequent sign ins with the same character. Except in the circumstances as anodynes has noted.

@ambassadorkael#6946 @chrian#9670 or @engineerb4#4806

Also, see this thread: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1245721/login-screen
    anodynes wrote: »
    No, what I'm saying is that the fix has nothing, or next to nothing, to do with why we're seeing it on (virtually) every character that logs in.

What's causing that is that the events that it shows us aren't stable, like they usually are.

Rotating between Winter Wonderland, Tholian Red Alert, Age of Discovery and who knows what else can and does change the contents of the window from what it was when you last saw it, causing it to pop up on every character. This has been observed behavior of the Landing Page for months.

The bug is that the thing can't choose a stable set of things to advertise. If I'm correct, then it will stop when the extra events being advertised expire, taking them out of the rotation, at 10 AM PST on Monday, assuming that they don't fix the issue internally before then, which they likely will not.

I would expect that you will see it on every character one time the first time that you log in after that time, but that will probably be the last time that you see it on more than the first character that you log in with per session until the contents of it change again.

Quote edited by me for clarity sake.
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    When the new screen was first added, it appeared every time I logged in and every time I switched characters.

At some point, as noted, it stopped appearing every time I switched characters.

Since the last patch, it's started appearing every time I switch characters - essentially reversing the earlier patch/solution.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    My biggest issue with the landing page reverting back to showing up with every character on every log in is that for some reason it causes me huge amounts of lag and makes playing the game horrible for me. Every time the landing page has reverted to showing up with every log in, the lag returns with it.

I can't even run the race for the winter ship without getting hit by the lag. The day before the patch, everything was fine. After the patch, lag everywhere and getting the race in is a PITA. It's doable, but not fun and definitely adds an element of frustration at times. Not fun.

Thankfully, aside from DOff'ing and doing the race for the ship, I've taken a break from STO for a while. But it'd be nice if this were fixed before I come back full time for the Anniversary event.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    It appears after you've finished the tutorial for Feds and Klingons, but not until you've chosen an alliance for Jem'Hadar. I suspect the same holds true for Romulans, but I haven't created a new one since the landing Page was introduced. It might also not show up until you come to 2409 for the 2 time-displaced alternate Fed starting story types, but I honestly didn't pay that much attention to that when I created my Discovery character.

Some of those later recurrences of it showing up on multiple characters are part of an undocumented behavior of the Landing Page that appears to be intentional, that it shows up for every character after any of the panes of the thing have changed, and this is what I suspect is causing the occurrences now. There are multiple events being advertised through the Landing Page right now, and it's shuffling between them, sometimes even swapping them among the top and bottom left side panes. With that, you are likely to get a different version of the thing from the last version that you saw for every character that you log in.

Hi Anodynes,

I believe you may be onto something here. Quoting you from the other thread:

Login Screen
    I think it's doing that because there are 3 events to advertise over this weekend, and it's just randomizing which one it shows each time. If true, we'll probably just have to deal with this until Monday, when 2 of the events end.
    I'm not sure about the OP, but it's popping up when changing characters virtually every time. I think it may not have on a couple of characters since the patch, but I definitely tried logging back onto a character that I had previously logged into that same session, and it popped up again for her. Like I said above, it appears to be rotating through different event announcements, so it pops up again each time one of the panes changes, which is consistent with observed behavior. If that's the problem, then it will continue to behave like this as long as it keeps switching between the 3 events currently running.
    No, what I'm saying is that the fix has nothing, or next to nothing, to do with why we're seeing it on (virtually) every character that logs in. What's causing that is that the events that it shows us aren't stable, lie they usually are. Rotating between Winter Wonderland, Tholian Red Alert, Age of Discovery and who knows what else can and does change the contents of the window from what it was when you last saw it, causing it to pop up on every character. This has been observed behavior of the Landing Page for months. The bug is that the thing can't choose a stable set of things to advertise. If I'm correct, then it will stop when the extra events being advertised expire, taking them out of the rotation, at 10 AM PST on Monday, assuming that they don't fix the issue internally before then, which they likely will not. I would expect that you will see it on every character one time the first time that you log in after that time, but that will probably be the last time that you see it on more than the first character that you log in with per session until the contents of it change again.

I just spent the last half hour with my shipped parked in the Sol System, logging in to the same character over and over. The "Welcome Back" screen appeared 52 out of 60 times and did not appear 8 out of 60 times. Your hypothesis that it's related to advertisements of temporary events would explain why the bug stopped happening on previous occasions without a patch. In any case, the design is still flawed. First, even if they do have new events to advertise, there is no reason we need to see that on every character. Second, the exact permutation in which the ads are shown should not matter.
    qVpg1km.png
  • sigil000sigil000 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I haven't had any problems with it. I thought it is just the new norm; log in and get a "Welcome Back" as a way to make players feel valued and have shortcuts to events, TFOs & missions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Captain Sean 'Sigil' Montgomery, U.S.S. K.A.R.R. 2.47 NCC-200000
    I just spent the last half hour with my shipped parked in the Sol System, logging in to the same character over and over. The "Welcome Back" screen appeared 52 out of 60 times and did not appear 8 out of 60 times.

Here's some more data after the Tholian Red Alert has ended, but before the Elachi event starts. I once again logged in and out 60 times with my ship in the Sol System, keeping track of how many times the "Welcome Back" screen appeared and did not appear.

appeared: 45 out of 60 times
    did not appear: 15 out of 60 times

The difference between this time and last time is the number of choices for the two long panels on the left.

last time: 3 choices
    this time: 2 choices

The number of choices for the two short panels on the right stayed the same: 2 choices both times.
    qVpg1km.png
    Here's some more data after the Tholian Red Alert has ended, but before the Elachi event starts. I once again logged in and out 60 times with my ship in the Sol System, keeping track of how many times the "Welcome Back" screen appeared and did not appear.

Ugh, you are a glutton for punishment. LOL!

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    I just spent the last half hour with my shipped parked in the Sol System, logging in to the same character over and over. The "Welcome Back" screen appeared 52 out of 60 times and did not appear 8 out of 60 times.

appeared: 45 out of 60 times
    did not appear: 15 out of 60 times

The difference between this time and last time is the number of choices for the two long panels on the left.

last time: 3 choices
    this time: 2 choices

The number of choices for the two short panels on the right stayed the same: 2 choices both times.

I did some more testing. Data for the old tests and the new tests are included below. For tests 3 and 4, I also kept track of the number of the times the "Welcome Back" screen was exactly the same on consecutive logins (same announcements, same order). The "Welcome Back" screen appeared 59 out of 60 times in test 3. The conditions for test 3 and test 4 were slightly different: I did not collect all my doff assignments before starting test 3. I'm not sure whether that made a difference or whether test 3 is merely an outlier.

Common to all tests

All tests were conducted by logging in to the same character over and over again in the Sol System. The "Welcome Back" screen has 2 long panels on the left and 2 short panels on the right. Each panel shows a different announcement.

Test 1
    • Date: 12/16/2018
    • 3 choices for each of the 2 left panels:
      • Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Tholian Red Alert
    • 2 choices for each of the 2 right panels:
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion
    • "Welcome Back" screen appeared: 52 out of 60 times
    • "Welcome Back" screen did not appear: 8 out of 60 times

Test 2
    • Date: 12/20/2018
    • 2 choices for each of the 2 left panels:
      • Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion
    • "Welcome Back" screen appeared: 45 out of 60 times
    • "Welcome Back" screen did not appear: 15 out of 60 times

Test 3
    • Date: 12/22/2018
      • Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Elachi Red Alert
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion
    • Collected doff assignments beforehand: No
    • "Welcome Back" screen appeared: 59 out of 60 times
    • "Welcome Back" screen did not appear: 1 out of 60 times
    • Number of times the "Welcome Back" screen was exactly the same on consecutive logins: 3

Test 4
      • Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Elachi Red Alert
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion
    • Collected doff assignments beforehand: Yes
    • "Welcome Back" screen appeared: 54 out of 60 times
    • "Welcome Back" screen did not appear: 6 out of 60 times
    • Number of times the "Welcome Back" screen was exactly the same on consecutive logins: 3
    qVpg1km.png
    Alright, that's it @frtoaster, if I see you in the game, I am going to haul your TRIBBLE over to WW for a snowball fight. They only care that it is popping up in the game.....not if it is annoying players, anyways.

where2r1 wrote: »
    Alright, that's it @frtoaster, if I see you in the game, I am going to haul your TRIBBLE over to WW for a snowball fight. They only care that it is popping up in the game.....not if it is annoying players, anyways.

Oh, don't worry. I've been having snowball fights all week.
    qVpg1km.png
    I did some more testing. It is not clear what prevents the "Welcome Back" screen from appearing. Tests 3 and 4 show that the game does not suppress the "Welcome Back" screen in cases where the same announcements were shown on the previous login. And tests 5 and 6 show that the game does not suppress the "Welcome Back" screen in cases where the same announcements were shown in the main menu on the previous logout. In all these cases, all four panels were exactly the same.

Common to all tests

All tests were conducted by logging in to the same character over and over again in the Sol System. The "Welcome Back" screen and the main menu both have two long panels on the left and two short panels on the right. Each panel shows a different announcement.

Differences between the tests
    • For test 2, there were only 2 choices for the left panels. In all other tests, there were 3 choices for the left panels.
    • For tests 3 and 5, I did not collect my doff assignments before starting; I had only winter doff assignments completed.
    • For tests 3 and 4, I kept track of the number of times the "Welcome Back" screen was exactly the same on consecutive logins.
    • For tests 5 and 6, I compared the main menu on logout with the "Welcome Back" screen on the following login. I kept track of the number of times the top panels were the same, the number of times the bottom panels were the same, and the number of times all four panels were the same.

Test 1
    • 3 choices for the left panels:
      • Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Tholian Red Alert
    • 2 choices for the right panels:
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion

Test 2
    • 2 choices for the left panels:
      • Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion

Test 3
      • Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Elachi Red Alert
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion
    • Number of times the "Welcome Back" screen was the same on consecutive logins: 3

Test 4
      • Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Elachi Red Alert
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion
    • Number of times the "Welcome Back" screen was the same on consecutive logins: 3

Test 5
    • Date: 12/23/2018
      • Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Elachi Red Alert
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion
    • "Welcome Back" screen appeared: 57 out of 60 times
    • "Welcome Back" screen did not appear: 3 out of 60 times
    • Main menu on logout compared with "Welcome Back" screen on next login:
      • Number of times top panels were the same: 7
      • Number of times bottom panels were the same: 7
      • Number of times all panels were the same: 4

Test 6
      • Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Elachi Red Alert
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion
    • "Welcome Back" screen appeared: 51 out of 60 times
    • "Welcome Back" screen did not appear: 9 out of 60 times
    • Main menu on logout compared with "Welcome Back" screen on next login:
      • Number of times top panels were the same: 10
      • Number of times bottom panels were the same: 7
      • Number of times all panels were the same: 4
    qVpg1km.png
    Just found something else that makes me feel dizzy. :::hee, hee, hee:::::

• ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    The landing page has been driving me mad since they broke it again with that patch. 32 times minimum I have to see it and close it to cycle through my account to do my dailies.

For us guys with multiple characters it is nothing but an unwanted spam hurdle we have to jump over anytime we want to play STO.

I'm sure guys with 1-5 characters don't even take notice of it as its not continually in you're face as someone with 32 characters or more to manage.

I hated it when it 1st arrived and I continue to hate till the day I either move on or the game comes to its natural end.

maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • No one uses the search function lol or everyone in this post would have seen that a thread for this already exists .

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245721/login-screen

However perfectworld cryptic had only this to say. (In short they don't care that's its broken again and they are telling you to send it as a suggestion lmao)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us and apologies for the late response due to the high volume of tickets we currently have in our system.

I'm sorry to learn that you're not happy with the landing page showing up every time you log in on a character. I apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you. We do forward feedback and suggestions quite often to the developers. I also recommend posting this in our official game forums to discuss with the Moderators and Quality Assurance team. Our Development Team and Community Teams check the forums often as well. Here’s the link to the forums:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/categories/sto-feedback

Let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,
    Ovric
    Game Master
    Perfect World Entertainment

In short they don't care that's its broken again and they are telling you to send it as a suggestion lmao
    edited January 2019
    I've added data for four more tests. Looking at all the tests, I've come to the following conclusions:
    1. The "Welcome Back" screen appears on most logins, but not every login.
    2. How often the "Welcome Back" screen appears seems to be affected by the number of choices for the left and right panels.
    3. I've observed cases where all four panels of the "Welcome Back" screen were exactly the same on consecutive logins. This probably means the game isn't deciding whether to show the "Welcome Back" screen or not based on whether the same panels were shown the last time the character logged in.
    4. I've observed cases where all four panels of the "Welcome Back" screen were exactly the same as the four panels of the main menu on last logout. This probably means the game isn't deciding whether to show the "Welcome Back" screen or not based on whether the same panels were shown the last time the character logged out.
    5. The "Welcome Back" screen shows all possible arrangements of the announcements on login, and the main menu shows all possible arrangements on logout. Therefore, I think it is unlikely that certain arrangements cause the "Welcome Back" screen to not appear.

Common to all tests

All tests were conducted by logging in to the same character over and over again in the Sol System. The "Welcome Back" screen and the main menu both have two long panels on the left and two short panels on the right. Each panel shows a different announcement.

Differences between the tests
    • For tests 2, 7, 8, 9, and 10, there were two choices for the left panels. In the other tests, there were three choices for the left panels.
    • For tests 3, 5, 7, and 9, I did not collect my doff assignments before starting; I had only winter doff assignments completed.
    • For tests 3 and 4, I kept track of the number of times the "Welcome Back" screen was exactly the same on consecutive logins.
    • For tests 5 and 6, I compared the main menu on logout with the "Welcome Back" screen on the following login. I kept track of the number of times the top panels were the same, the number of times the bottom panels were the same, and the number of times all four panels were the same.
    • For tests 7, 8, 9, and 10, I checked whether the "Welcome Back" screen showed all possible arrangements of the announcements on login and whether the main menu showed all possible arrangements of the announcements on logout.

Test 1
      • New Chapter: Age of Discovery
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Tholian Red Alert
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion

Test 2
    • 2 choices for the left panels:
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion

Test 3
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Elachi Red Alert
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion

Test 4
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Elachi Red Alert
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion

Test 5
      • Q's Winter Wonderland
      • Elachi Red Alert
      • Discovery Starter Pack
      • Infinity R&D Promotion
    • "Welcome Back" screen appeared: 57 out of 60 times
    • "Welcome Back" screen did not appear: 3 out of 60 times