test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

32-bit client horribly broken

2»

Comments

• it might be possible, but I doubt it. In my 10+ years of using steam I have only once or twice had issues that were caused by steam or the ingame steam overlay. and when I did have issues, it was a wide spread problem that everyone was having, and steam fixed it in a day or less.

after having run the chkdsk/r operation yesterday, which moved data to unuses clusters all across the disk, after running a verify operation, the 64-bit client was running better. but, a little more than two hours into a session, the game stopped responding requiring me to end task the game. even more of an annoyance, I was in the middle of a TTG run, to generate some quick EC when when the game stopped responding..... ARGH!...

But I will says this.... those two hours is the longest time I have spent uninterrupted by crashes in STO in a very long time

Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    Have you tried running the client without Steam?
  • actually I have. I have opened up the directory under ..\steamapps\common\ and gone and opened up the launcher manually and set it to run the 32-bit client. only difference was no steam overlay available (of course). still same stall for the 32-bit client
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • just was doing a casual check to make sure that none of the permissions had gotten screwed up from the chkdsk operation the other day. windows displayed a access denied error when it cam to the star trek online directory. further attempts to change the permissions and owner of the directory have failed. so something is screwed up. I do know how to fix the issue, as long as the problem is what I think it is. if it's something more unusual behind the problem, then I might need help. but I will try restarting in safemode to fix the issue first.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Check permissions first, then check that the STO directory is not compressed… always crash for me when is compressed
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Actually I had a question in that vein. I spent the day before yesterday propagating the permissions form the root directory on down through all the subdirectories, only to encounter errors with the star trek online directory in ',,\steamapps\common\' I rebooted into safemode and did the operation once more - this time successfully. (and now for my question). the 'Star Trek Online' directory seems to be set to read only attribute. It seems to me that the directory should not be read only.

on a separate note..... trying to transfer to Q's winter wonderland STO (64-bit client) crashed (nothing new) in what latr turned out to be a HOGG error (my very first one ever in my 4+ years of sto!). This is (or should) be easy to fix via a verify operation. be what stopped me dead in my tracks is a little error in the launcher proclaiming I had no more disk space availibe. I had 14.4 gb's free just yesterday. I looked in explorer and sure enough the drive listed 0b free O.o as I watched the space spontaneously grew to 5.08Gb. I ended up going in to windows protection settings and checking how much system restore data was saved to E:\ (where my games are) turns out windows had 600Gb of data just sitting thre doing nothing useful. So cleared out the restore data for E: and got back 600Gb. so that little problem is solved......
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Check permissions first, then check that the STO directory is not compressed… always crash for me when is compressed

Are you referring to NTFS compression? like using the compact command or going to drive properties and selecting compress this drive? technicly speaking using NTFS compression should not cause any issues what so ever. as its a function of the filesystem unlike previous M$ methods such as doublespace/drivespace (MS-DOS/Win9x)

I do have my entire E:\ drive compressed. should I try uncompressing just the 'star trek online' directory or the entire drive? If it is going to be the entire drive.... I am gonna need to get rid of some stuff first I believe the total amount of data currently on the drive in uncompressed form exceeds the capacity of the drive
    Post edited by generaldisaster#4313 on
  • just tried the 32-bit client out after turning off compression on the STO files, and STO still stopped responding on the toon screen. music still plays, and the STO mouse cursor moves, but that is it. and of course the 64-bit client still has random crashes. I have given up trying to do TTG because STO will crash in the middle of the run and by the time I get back into sto, the timer has expired and the even is on CD.
  • well I suppose there is one piece of good news out of this whole debacle.... before I adjusted the permissions for all the files on the drive, when I hit analyze in Diskeeper Pro 12, the most of the drive was listed as in use or a system file (which was patently false) after adjusting permissions the drive got opened up so now I can defrag it properly. before this the only thing preventing drive fragmentation was Diskeeper's intelliwrite, but that only kept thing defragmented so far. free space was kept consolidated for the most part, but locations of the data were not optimized.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    What kind of computer do you have?? Is it a laptop? Just so I can avoid that manufacture brand like the plague if I decide to ever get a new computer.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    it's a Toshiba laptop. my family once purchased a Toshiba Infinia (Toshiba screwed over their customers so bad it led to a class action lawsuit), so I knew that Toshiba wasn't a good idea. But the laptop model had a discrete video card and there was promised video card upgrades in the works. And of course a few years into owning the laptop, Toshiba backed out of their promise. That being said. It has been a rock solid laptop for what it is capable of doing.

on another front, (and I hope I just didn't jinx it here) I think I may have solved the 64-bit client random crashes but I am not sure why it seems to work. I noticed in my client logs, an issue with the game when it was compiling shaders. it would always crash when it got to the same shader. (I will post the last few lines of the makeshader log below) So I went into the NVidia control panel, and went into manage 3D settings, and turned off the shader cache setting. The only possible explanation I can come up with, is the change of the way that shader caching has changed in more modern video cards and mine doesn't support the newer method (I have a NVidia GeForce GT-330M) and STO no longer (fully?) supports the older method.

Materials/Templates/Character/Character_Skin_Earblend_01.Material (304/325)
    181221 02:11:31 318 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Compiling shader template Materials/Templates/Character/Character_Skin_Body_Template_02.Material (305/325)
    181221 02:11:31 319 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Compiling shader template Materials/Templates/Character/Character_Skin_Body_Template_01.Material (306/325)
    181221 02:11:31 320 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Compiling shader template Materials/Templates/Character/Character_Pattern_Template_01.Material (307/325)
    181221 02:11:31 321 Client[0 [NOENT]]: Compiling shader template Materials/Templates/Character/Character_M

I realize it looks like something didn't get copied over or that I cut off the text deliberately, but that is actually how it looks in ALL the makeshader logs.

I opened a thread about this here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245828/64-bit-client-random-crashes-caused-by-shader-compiling/p1?new=1

the 32-bit client remains just as broken however.
  • figured out something that might help the devs solve the issue. once the 32-bit client was running and not responding, I switched to the desktop, and went to ..\startrek online\ and opened up 'crypticerror.exe' manually, which found the stalled session of STO, and had me enter a description, be for it started uploading a minidump and a full dump.

PID:9336 ETID:141981457
  • engineerb4#4806 engineerb4 Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2019
    Post edited by engineerb4#4806 on
    STO Software Engineer
    I build things. Things that make us go.
  • looks like the devs killed the 32-bit client.... :(

the 32-bit client was rock solid IMO until they started to (what would seem to be the case) deliberately kill it. if the 32-bit client was still available, I would use it over the 64-bit client.