test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PC thinks every setup file is a virus

So, I finally got a new computer. started downloading all my programs, and games, I get to STO and WoW's and both say my setup files are Viruses and have been deleted. I even tried turning off all my firewalls and other cyber protections to get by this. still getting a Virus alert. What the heck? Am I missing something.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    your security software is probably a virus.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • captwinters1701captwinters1701 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    Well, it is a combination of Windows Defender and McAfee :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    I would still consider a portable malware scanner from either one or both of superantispyware or Malwarebytes. Download on another pc and install them onto a usb stick to move across to check your pc. If you cant install things properly then they may not install if you downloaded them to you pc.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • messicrafter#6700 messicrafter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Are you using Window 7 or 10? Turn off or disable Windows defender, that should fix it, if not message me.
    enjin-1234688-19630790-gray.png
    =/\= Member of Star trek Roleplayers and Former Foundry Author in training. =/\=
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2018
    Well, it is a combination of Windows Defender and McAfee :)

Two anti viruses including one that's garbage. Friendly advice, there is some software out there that backs up all the Windows drivers called Double Driver. It hasn't been updated in years but it still works perfectly in the latest version of Windows 10. Reinstall Windows 10 fresh with no internet and get all the drivers from the backup you make. Then connect to the internet and update Windows 10 and install your programs. If you need your Windows key since Microsoft has been hiding that one lately, just download and use KeyFinder.

For STO, just copy the folder where it's at and in the new install, put it in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios

The game should end up in Star Trek Online\Live in that same folder once the launcher does it's download. Works great and not garbage driver garbage loading at startup.

My computer runs as smoothly and crapware free as the ones Microsoft sells in their stores. Throw Mcafee out to the gatbage heap.

Edit: Well, Windows 10 is not error free if you look at the Event Viewer logs in Windows. Even with a super clean install, the OS does throw errors in its own log because Microsoft can't be bothered to fix everything in their OS.
    #1 Error in Windows 10 for everyone = "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID"
  • messicrafter#6700 messicrafter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    A good pair of antiviruses are Avast (free) and malwarebytes(bites :P , also free)
    enjin-1234688-19630790-gray.png
    =/\= Member of Star trek Roleplayers and Former Foundry Author in training. =/\=
  • borghunter0borghunter0 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Mcafee, oh god, even I dropped that one years ago.
  • I think I found your issue - McAfee

that software is no where near as good as it was back in the MS-DOS and Win9x days. same goes for Norton products. my advice? uninstall them then run a cleaner specially designed for removing McAfee products. those are usually provided by the creator of the software, in this case mcafee. You are better getting an ESET product or one of the free ones.
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...