test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Npc torpedo 100% shield and hull to instant death.

syrupofsquillsyrupofsquill Member Posts: 159 Arc User
Anyone notice resistances not seeming to work in Counterpoint advanced or Gravity kills against Torpedo?

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Anyone notice resistances not seeming to work in Counterpoint advanced or Gravity kills against Torpedo?
    Its a well known Kinetic bug that is doing triple and quadruple damage before crits both from NPC and player kinetic damage. You get hit like you are on -250% resistance. I have given up trying to bug report it even with repeatable steps, combatlog and screenshots no one seems interested. Last time I reported it the Engineer didn't even bother looking at the screenshot or combatlog. Its one of the reason I am taking a break from the game tomorrow. The new content is still broken and these old game breaking bugs are being ignored.
  • syrupofsquillsyrupofsquill Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    I also forgot to mention insta death seems pretty bad in the lukari dranuur gauntlent space. I wish i had a video of whole team re-spawning and instantly dying over and over, comical. Worse in gauntlet and gravity kills than most other stuff recently since they run in the random queues.
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    Is this a problem on higher difficulties? Because I never encounter this on normal.
    Is this a problem on higher difficulties? Because I never encounter this on normal.

Cryptic specifically did adjustments for Normal difficultly for these issues as a test. Despite it more or less working on Normal (still random up-spikes in non-Critical Hit Kinetic-type damage, but far rarer) those adjustments haven't been applied to Advanced or Elite, AFAIK.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    I was killed by a Borg Gateway Invisitorp...while playing Swarm. Apparently once a torp is fired, it will track you to the ends of the universe, even if it takes weeks and has to track you to an entirely different map and STF.

That is absurd. Sorry, but no way that happened.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I was killed by a Borg Gateway Invisitorp...while playing Swarm. Apparently once a torp is fired, it will track you to the ends of the universe, even if it takes weeks and has to track you to an entirely different map and STF.

Watch out, you're disagreeing with the second coming of Jesus himself. Atone quickly or you'll be subjected to a torture chamber where you have to listen to "fun is a filthy parasite" and "you must construct additional pylons" for the same duration of time it takes an invisitorp to travel from ISA to Swarm.
    edited December 2018

Over the years at least half a dozen times my ship has exploded in a different map from what killed me. Its not common but it does happen. Not long back I killed the CE, got the reward, entered the Earth Dock space map and then blow up. My ship has also blown up on the galaxy movement map after leaving a mission and the damage chased me down.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »

Over the years at least half a dozen times my ship has exploded in a different map from what killed me. Its not common but it does happen. Not long back I killed the CE, got the reward, entered the Earth Dock space map and then blow up. My ship has also blown up on the galaxy movement map after leaving a mission and the damage chased me down.

that should happen when you get killed while leaving the old map during the warp out animation.

and its known that torpedo crits for advanced/elite are higher. especially because the normal dmg they do is higher there too. but thats ok, its advanced/elite and if you think its a good idea to get hit by:
    a) (several) torpedo hy salvoes at the same time
    b) taking one of the big targetable (and killable) plasma torpedos
    c) some torpedo spreads
    while not using any defensive stuff (resistance buffs like brace for impact as example, eng ability while having the rnd trait slottet) you just deserve to die. even trying to take all the dmg to your hull normaly will just kill you, so use tactical team! shields absorb a lot! of kinetic dmg. its 75% initiate reduction if i remember correctly right now.

in addition, even npcs have fire arcs for their weapons ;)
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    This is basically why invincibility and immunity cheese was introduced to the game: They couldn't actually balance damage such that it could be simultaneously meaningful and not simply OHKO a significant portion of the playerbase, so now you have unavoidable invisible damage that can only be survived in by being immune to death or damage somehow.

Sometimes that damage doesn't even come from the same map: At this point in the game you can explode out of nowhere and it will turn out that the damage is NOT EVEN FROM THE SAME MAP, like getting killed by a Borg Gateway in a map without Borg Gateways.

Ive been seeing that too..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

edited December 2018
    felisean wrote: »
    pottsey5g wrote: »

that should happen when you get killed while leaving the old map during the warp out animation.

and its known that torpedo crits for advanced/elite are higher. especially because the normal dmg they do is higher there too. but thats ok, its advanced/elite and if you think its a good idea to get hit by:
    a) (several) torpedo hy salvoes at the same time
    b) taking one of the big targetable (and killable) plasma torpedos
    c) some torpedo spreads
    while not using any defensive stuff (resistance buffs like brace for impact as example, eng ability while having the rnd trait slottet) you just deserve to die. even trying to take all the dmg to your hull normaly will just kill you, so use tactical team! shields absorb a lot! of kinetic dmg. its 75% initiate reduction if i remember correctly right now.

in addition, even npcs have fire arcs for their weapons ;)
    None of that is the problem. The problem is both the player and NPC Kinetic damage is being incorrectly applied. On the maps where we get the instant kill mega hit invisible torpedoes I found my own kinetic damage is being incorrectly boosted as well.

For example on maps where we get those mega 1 shot kill NPC torpedoes my own mines will be affected by the same bug and will turn into 1 shot instant player kill weapons. Not only was this semi repeatable but I have a combat log and screenshot that demonstrates the bug. I tried giving the steps and evidence to a bug engineer but no one was interested :(

In my testing I was in a Dreadnought as an Engineer defence buffed up. I dropped 1 single mostly unbuffed mine and it went from 30k damage to instantly killing my Dreadnought that has over 100k hull with resistance and shields. For that to happen I would have to have been on -150% resistance or something silly. How does my own 30k damage weapon scale up enough to 1 shot kill a tanked player? I only see this crazy damage on the same maps as the NPC instant kill torpedoes which is why I think its a bug. Further evidence as well the swarmer's only had a problem on some maps with crazy DPS scaling, guess what they did Kinetic damage and it was the same maps as the player mines and NPC 1 shot kill torpedoes.

The bug seems to be some sort of wonky interactions between Kinetic damage and resistance.

EDIT: Was just checking my old data from when I tested. I was getting single none critical hits as high as 255,109 without tactical consoles boosting the weapon as an Engineer tank. That doesn't seem right to me.

Post edited by pottsey5g on
  • mournblade#1863 mournblade Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Gravity Kills and Dranuur Gauntlet are among the worst missions when it comes to NPC torp damage, particularly with Tzenkethi Tetryon torps. I took a 500k Tetryon torp in Advanced Dranuur Gauntlet from a Tzenkethi ship. Needless to say, even after "resistances", it killed me instantly. I'm not entirely convinced it's a bug with kinetic damage resistance, because an NPC torp shouldn't be doing 500k damage in the first place (at least not in Advanced or lower difficulty). And while it could be argued that this particular torp was likely a crit, the average (Tetryon) torp damage from the Tzenkethi enemy ships that match was around 250-300k according to my combat log. I'm therefore of the opinion that NPC torp damage needs to be scaled down.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

hmmm I've experienced my ship blowing up after zoning... it can happen during that lukari gravity space que. you go get particles and you get the red pop up telling you to warp out or else. you do and reload and then I blow up... =) i've hit that button and reloaded without blowing up... so it can happen if lag or something gets in the way. so a torp that is autolocked on ya even after zoning... I can see you dying to it.