Install Arc

Tardigrade Adoption Agency!

Comments

• phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    Nice marketing mailing list bait.
    Due to the new GDPR laws they cannot use the email for marketing mailing list without a high risk of receiving a very large fine. They are no longer allowed to without explicit clear consent to use our personal information for anything other then what we agreed with. As there was no agreement on sighing up for them to use personal information for anything else they cannot use our information for anything else. If they do legally they are in a very bad position and will get reported and most likely fined.
    Given neither PWE nor Cryptic are located in the EU, I'm curious how that can be enforced?
    I'm also not in the EU, so I really don't understand.

Also, I got Lt. Tardigrade as well.
    No idea how they do it but they do. There was a big revamp in data protection laws May this year and basically if they want to trade in the EU they have to follow the rules. Given that they have a web presence in the EU, sell to people in the EU and use EU currency they come under the new data protection laws which are great for end consumers like ourselves.

As an example Uber isn’t a EU company yet just last month they were fined.

I'm not saying they can't fine them, I'm asking how they are going to enforce it.
    All the Uber drivers in your example aren't employees, but contractors (I do recall some litigation on that front, no idea if that classification has changed yet). What are they going to do pull over ever Uber driver and seize their car?
    Same with PWE, what are they going to do, block their websites in the EU?

Without some way to enforce it, it's toothless.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Due to the new GDPR laws they cannot use the email for marketing mailing list without a high risk of receiving a very large fine. They are no longer allowed to without explicit clear consent to use our personal information for anything other then what we agreed with. As there was no agreement on sighing up for them to use personal information for anything else they cannot use our information for anything else. If they do legally they are in a very bad position and will get reported and most likely fined.
    Given neither PWE nor Cryptic are located in the EU, I'm curious how that can be enforced?

No idea how they do it but they do. There was a big revamp in data protection laws May this year and basically if they want to trade in the EU they have to follow the rules. Given that they have a web presence in the EU, sell to people in the EU and use EU currency they come under the new data protection laws which are great for end consumers like ourselves.

I'm not saying they can't fine them, but how are they going to enforce it?
    As your example with Uber, all Uber drivers are not employees, but contractors (I know there was some litigation on that issue, but I don't know if the classification has changed.). What are they going to do, pull over all Uber drivers and seize their vehicles?
    Same with PWE, what are they going to do, block their IPs?
    Without a way to enforce, it's toothless.

(Edit monster struck again.)
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • destroyer#8844 destroyer Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    How long does it take to get an update email on your tardigrade?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

How long does it take to get an update email on your tardigrade?

Cryptic will be mailing out the first set of updates soon, lot going on this week. ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    edited December 2018

I'm not saying they can't fine them, but how are they going to enforce it?
    As your example with Uber, all Uber drivers are not employees, but contractors (I know there was some litigation on that issue, but I don't know if the classification has changed.). What are they going to do, pull over all Uber drivers and seize their vehicles?
    Same with PWE, what are they going to do, block their IPs?
    Without a way to enforce, it's toothless.

(Edit monster struck again.)
    To be honest I don’t know the in and out of how they enforce it only that they do somehow and no company that I know off has managed to get out of paying the fines and a large amount of companies have been fined. They have gone after big guys like Uber to Facebook whom have paid up, all the way down to head teachers at single schools.

What I do know is the new law is a big deal with major changes to our data rights and it’s already had a massive positive impact. Companies can no longer email us without consent which has massively cut down on spam and all but stopped nuisance phone calls. They can no longer take our personal data and use it in a way we did not clearly consent to. Implied or generic constant does not count, neither does not ticking a box or pre ticked boxes. It has to be clear positive opt-in and it cannot be hidden away inside terms and conditions.

There are lots of other benefits but I don’t think this is that place to go into detail.

The short version is our personal information like sighing up for this Tardigrade Adoption Agency should be safe to do. They cannot use our personal information for anything other then for the Adoption Agency.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    The email usage issue has been answered by Kael. Further discussion along that tangent is derailing the thread. As are lawsuit discussions. You want to discuss those things, then take it to Ten Forward. Otherwise, participate or don't participate. This is supposed to be a fun little thing that Cryptic did that's being turned into unnecessary forum drama.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • destroyer#8844 destroyer Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Can you take the quize multiple times and redieve email updates on all the tardigrades?
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Can you take the quize multiple times and redieve email updates on all the tardigrades?

Would like to know this as well. Would be fun to adopt more then one!
    What is that saying got to collect them all!
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    Hello:

I got the Lt. Tardigrade, I wanted to ask, is this nifty little promotion expected to be a two way thing? It does sound like it's happening for a limited amount of time. Is a response expected? or we simply receive updates from time to time? Thank you for your time and effort in this neat promotion. :)
    edited December 2018
    Hello:

I got the Lt. Tardigrade, I wanted to ask, is this nifty little promotion expected to be a two way thing? It does sound like it's happening for a limited amount of time. Is a response expected? or we simply receive updates from time to time? Thank you for your time and effort in this neat promotion. :)

You will receive the first update in a couple weeks. You do not have to send anything to them. Per Kael on stream today, he wrote all the dialog and it will be leading up to the next anniversary event in some way. There is also a definite window for signing up, so if you're at all interested do that soon (ie. before the first updates are sent out.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited December 2018
    You can definitely do it with separate email accounts. I've got three for different purposes and I got Arty, Party, and Lt. Tardigrade. At the very least though I'm trying to collect all the art work and story blurbs so after the event I'll try to have a post people can reference with all the updates (if Kael's not already planning on having something like that officially.)
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    Thank you for clarifying, I missed today's live stream, and the system/test thing said Lt. Tardigrade. :)
    Important update:
    DuRA329XcAAefRr.jpg
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I've got three for different purposes and I got Arty, Party, and Lt. Tardigrade. At the very least though I'm trying to collect all the art work and story blurbs so after the event I'll try to have a post people can reference with all the updates (if Kael's not already planning on having something like that officially.)

To Duncan or @ambassadorkael#6946 Please do!! Thank you!

I am finding myself in a serious time crunch this year....
    :::signing off to work on the Christmas Tree, now...yeah can you believe I am still setting up basic holiday stuff?:::

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Another important update:
    DuRGirOXgAA1Rqk.jpg:large
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    If Smarty is so smart, why doesn't she wear pants?
    ;)
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I've got three for different purposes and I got Arty, Party, and Lt. Tardigrade. At the very least though I'm trying to collect all the art work and story blurbs so after the event I'll try to have a post people can reference with all the updates (if Kael's not already planning on having something like that officially.)

To Duncan or @ambassadorkael#6946 Please do!! Thank you!

I am finding myself in a serious time crunch this year....
    :::signing off to work on the Christmas Tree, now...yeah can you believe I am still setting up basic holiday stuff?:::

… we haven't started … yet …
    Important update:
    DuRA329XcAAefRr.jpg

"Note in the ship's log that the "Tardigrade Hello" has been received."
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I got Smarty Tardigrade.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    SKIPPER here
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    @daveyny OMG LONG TIME NO SEE!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kiko#6490 kiko Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I got party tardigrade!
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @saurializard said:
    > I'm pretty sure mine is a reality-warping pony in disguise. And I'm very OK with that.

I got party tardigrade too. I would not have expected that honestly, but it was so cute.
  • ioneonioneon Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    This is as straight forward as it gets. "hey! adopt a Walmart bug! Give us your email!" This is a discussion? Holy TRIBBLE.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • But seriously, why is this a thing?

Nope. Sorry. I'm not THAT mighty jingles.
  • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    Another important update:
    DuRGirOXgAA1Rqk.jpg:large

Wha-!? I just got him! Somebody hand me a dart or something.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    But seriously, why is this a thing?
    We're extracting your fun to feed it to the Grinch. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg