test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ETA?

Comments

• ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    This will either be a quick simple fix, or...

Honestly, at that point, I'm beginning to stop caring altogether. It pains me, still, knowing that I cannot continue working on my current Foundry series. I just hope Cryptic is not going to outright jump to the next step and take the Foundry down. Which would be tantamount to amputating STO of 90% of its interest for many of us.
  • fadamsxiicrypticfadamsxiicryptic Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    Honestly, at that point, I'm beginning to stop caring altogether. It pains me, still, knowing that I cannot continue working on my current Foundry series. I just hope Cryptic is not going to outright jump to the next step and take the Foundry down. Which would be tantamount to amputating STO of 90% of its interest for many of us.

I seriously doubt that its going anywhere.
    They've tried to bring it up twice now, there's data for what wasn't working and what was, so they more than likely have an idea of what's going on. Since there's not much else going on at the moment as far as systems work requiring developer time with Binary Stars and Q both up and running, I'd figure it'll be up and working fairly shortly, especially since they tried to see if the fixes worked in the live environment. It didn't, but its progress.

I don't even think its anything hugely serious, just something that requires a little attention from the dev team and a bit of time to fix. Not exactly a great thing, but its how it goes.
    I am a Starfleet Officer first, but an Intelligence Professional second to none. With pride in my heritage, but focused on the future. Performing the first task of an Army; To find, know and never lose the enemy. With a sense of urgency and of tenacity, professional and physical fitness. And above all: Integrity--for in truth lies victory. Always at Silent War while ready for a shooting war: The silent warrior of the Starfleet team

Original Join Date: 19 December 2010
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Hello Authors,

I am from Neverwinter and on Faceboook. I stopped in to voice my support getting this back online ASAP. I cut my baby teeth on STO Foundry. I still have Foundry missions here.

I have read 7 pages of comments, while those comments say "They" are working on it. Who and how many are "They"? A long while back Cryptic developer (NW) Thomas Foss made a livestream and when asked about the Foundry he did a "tell" (a poker term when you give away your hand). To paraphrase; He said, at the end of the day, it came down to a budget. Meaning his team wasn't getting paid to work on the Foundry.

I would like to know, if there is a team, or even a single person, or an unpaid intern working on the Foundry here? I discovered, back in 2012, STO and NW when I read a news article about the Foundry being beta tested here on STO. You fellow authors are still working with the stone knives and bearskins of the Foundry and I would also like to see it improved on both games. The draw to both games (for me) was and is the existence of the Foundry. Many authors feel the Foundry is poorly managed and it is the most unique feature to both games for the PC.

The Foundry was down for 6 months last year on Neverwinter. I don't want to see a repeat here on STO. I understand issues occur, but if this was database at a bank or other business, it would be unacceptable for it to be down more than half a day. People shrug it off and say, "It is just a video game." or "It is free to play afterall.". How about the people who pay out money monthly to buy items in the Zen Store? They fund the game, they keep the servers up and running, but when the employees are not doing their job of keeping an aspect of the game issue free, they are not earning the monies those users have paid out to them.

To any developer; possibly reading this, you or maybe your superiors are missing the cash cow, the Foundry should have been, and could still be, but sadly probably this late in the day never will be.
    NFA-banner.png
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    This is the longest downtime the foundry has ever had
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    They've got more important(to them) things to worry about. Such as a Pokemon/Tardigrade minigame where you get an out of game tardigrade with a type based on what you answer in a survey. Or what the next EssTeeDee content to get crammed into everyone will be(after, during, or between the winter and anniversary events). Or how to 1-Up the power creep they dumped into the Juggernaut ship that just came out.

Odds are the foundry will return at the same time they make a Romulan/Jem'hadar only ship pack(you know, like the two Fed/KDF ship packs that were pushed out recently).
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    We're doomed! All hope is lost! Man the life pods!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited December 2018
    What did Kael do? This is more than just deleting files
  • chritmarsh#4963 chritmarsh Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    This is insane... personally, to avoid any more disappointments, I'm giving up on the foundry returning at least until the end of the Winter event. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm tired of feeling like a kid being given a lump of coal for Christmas.
    "Today is a good day to die... but I'd rather go to Risa."-Fleet Admiral Christopher D. Marshall
    O1P2m6v.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,110 Arc User
    Their attempt to 'monetize' the STO Foundry failed spectacularly. Thus as it's a non-monetized feature, it's VERY LOW priority on their plate. Hell, the only time the Foundry gets an update is when a Dev uses their spare time to add something. <--- That should tell you how highly the lead Devs and Upper Management really feel about the feature.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    Their attempt to 'monetize' the STO Foundry failed spectacularly. Thus as it's a non-monetized feature, it's VERY LOW priority on their plate. Hell, the only time the Foundry gets an update is when a Dev uses their spare time to add something. <--- That should tell you how highly the lead Devs and Upper Management really feel about the feature.

And yet for many of us, that's the only feature that makes STO apart from just another generic space shooter/MMO. I know the game has become much of a grind/DPS race, but there's a substantial fraction of players out there who are not going to be satisfied with mere pew-pew.
  • dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    I guess I am one of those players, as thirty percent of my game time was playing foundry missions. Now it is thirty percent less time playing this game.
  • fadamsxiicrypticfadamsxiicryptic Member Posts: 22 Arc User

Depends on what files/folders he deleted or broke. Not all files and folders are created equally in any computer system.
    You can probably get by with deleting eventvwr.exe, Windows will be "broken" but it will (probably) still work, more or less. Try to do the same with dwm.exe (Protip:please DON'T do this), Windows will not work, more or less.

If it was something with a huge dependency chain or a really important file then it makes a bit of sense. We don't know what it was that got borked so it very well could have been.

From what I saw when they tried to bring it up last week it seems to be something that had to do with interacting with objects since I could load a map and fly or walk around, but I couldn't interact with anything. So I don't think its anything hugely serious, but important enough that game play will not work without it.

And like Duncan kept stressing when he was commenting on this thread, the foundry is a part-time effort for the developers, a fix is undoubtedly being worked on as we have seen, but it is something that is not a priority, no matter how much this sucks for us, its the reality. Maybe we should work to change this, but I'm not sure how or even if we can.
    I am a Starfleet Officer first, but an Intelligence Professional second to none. With pride in my heritage, but focused on the future. Performing the first task of an Army; To find, know and never lose the enemy. With a sense of urgency and of tenacity, professional and physical fitness. And above all: Integrity--for in truth lies victory. Always at Silent War while ready for a shooting war: The silent warrior of the Starfleet team

Original Join Date: 19 December 2010
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Maybe we should work to change this, but I'm not sure how or even if we can.

$$$
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,110 Arc User

Depends on what files/folders he deleted or broke. Not all files and folders are created equally in any computer system.
    You can probably get by with deleting eventvwr.exe, Windows will be "broken" but it will (probably) still work, more or less. Try to do the same with dwm.exe (Protip:please DON'T do this), Windows will not work, more or less.

If it was something with a huge dependency chain or a really important file then it makes a bit of sense. We don't know what it was that got borked so it very well could have been.

From what I saw when they tried to bring it up last week it seems to be something that had to do with interacting with objects since I could load a map and fly or walk around, but I couldn't interact with anything. So I don't think its anything hugely serious, but important enough that game play will not work without it.

And like Duncan kept stressing when he was commenting on this thread, the foundry is a part-time effort for the developers, a fix is undoubtedly being worked on as we have seen, but it is something that is not a priority, no matter how much this sucks for us, its the reality. Maybe we should work to change this, but I'm not sure how or even if we can.

I think it's more than a case of 'files being deleted' as WERE that the case, they could just restore/re-integrate said files and directory/folder structure from a Backup (and yes, they keep Backups of EVERYTHING code/system related. Again, some new feature in the new Branch they went to with "Age of Discovery" screwed something in the Foundry to the point they need programmers to llook at and fix it; but as te Foundry isn't a highly monetized game feature, it probably has the lowest priority on the 'bugfix' chain - and Cryptic instead has all programmers working on new features/ships that complement or introduce monetized features that give Cryptic a better ROI (as they see it) on programmer time spent.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    > @crypticarmsman said:
    > fadamsxiicryptic wrote: »
    >
    > marty123#3757 wrote: »
    >
    > What did Kael do? This is more than just deleting files
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Depends on what files/folders he deleted or broke. Not all files and folders are created equally in any computer system.
    > You can probably get by with deleting eventvwr.exe, Windows will be "broken" but it will (probably) still work, more or less. Try to do the same with dwm.exe (Protip:please DON'T do this), Windows will not work, more or less.
    >
    > If it was something with a huge dependency chain or a really important file then it makes a bit of sense. We don't know what it was that got borked so it very well could have been.
    >
    > From what I saw when they tried to bring it up last week it seems to be something that had to do with interacting with objects since I could load a map and fly or walk around, but I couldn't interact with anything. So I don't think its anything hugely serious, but important enough that game play will not work without it.
    >
    > And like Duncan kept stressing when he was commenting on this thread, the foundry is a part-time effort for the developers, a fix is undoubtedly being worked on as we have seen, but it is something that is not a priority, no matter how much this sucks for us, its the reality. Maybe we should work to change this, but I'm not sure how or even if we can.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think it's more than a case of 'files being deleted' as WERE that the case, they could just restore/re-integrate said files and directory/folder structure from a Backup (and yes, they keep Backups of EVERYTHING code/system related. Again, some new feature in the new Branch they went to with "Age of Discovery" screwed something in the Foundry to the point they need programmers to llook at and fix it; but as te Foundry isn't a highly monetized game feature, it probably has the lowest priority on the 'bugfix' chain - and Cryptic instead has all programmers working on new features/ships that complement or introduce monetized features that give Cryptic a better ROI (as they see it) on programmer time spent.

When I’m making mods of other games and I brake something, it takes me about 2 minutes to copy the backup files over.
    Well, not a penny more from me will they see until it's fixed, I'm done spending.

Ditto.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Editor is still having some problems though (no asset art in map window and most of the labels are missing from costume tailor asset lists). I've passed it along to Kael. For the time being, test published missions to verify that they're working (all good so far) and once satisfied hop into the editor and test there (we need to identify everything wrong for thorough documentation and swift bug reporting. So far, its practically impossible to build new maps and custom NPCs.)

Update: Kael's confirmed the particulars of the bugs, team's looking into it now.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    If you zoom in with the groundscale ship on map you may seen an odd interaction I encountered last time. The ship will scale up at a greater rate than you zoom in. Ie. it may be off the map now but at the closest zoom your screen should be filled with ship.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited December 2018
    Complains should be addressed when things are unsatisfactory, but praises should equally be given when an improvement is noted. So, thank you Devs for bringing the Foundry back online in a better state than last time.

Hopefully you can find the time to fix whatever bugs and glitches are still present.

Including :
    - missing asset art in map window.
    - most assets are missing in the list of items for the space and ground tailor.

And please, PLEASE : try and do something about the infamous "No reward" bug that has been a thorn in our side for so long now. I cannot stress that one enough...
  • chritmarsh#4963 chritmarsh Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Just played through my mission and it's working perfectly. I just now entered the editor. So far so good, but I haven't actually DONE anything in the editor yet.

I couldn't agree more that, while it's important to report any and all bugs, it's also important to thank the developers for all of their hard work. If any devs see this- THANK YOU!!!!
    "Today is a good day to die... but I'd rather go to Risa."-Fleet Admiral Christopher D. Marshall
    O1P2m6v.png
This discussion has been closed.