test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tardigrade Adoption Agency!

Comments

• sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Any word yet as to these growing up into doffs or BOffs?
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Guys there are already posts for discussing the finer points of Discovery and merits of the show. This is not one of them. Please keep things on point.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Saw the promo and first thought was, oh the lawsuit must be going ok.

Unless they need a list of potentially willing donors.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Oh, Party Tardi is cute, too.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    I do not trust this.

How do i know they keep the promise they will not use my email adress for anything else.

I am still waiting for the Geordi Bridge Officer that was promised to me on the German Starttrek Convention, where I also had to type in my email adress on a tablet at the cryptic booth. Even after contacting them I never got what was promised. So Since then they lost my trust.
    edited December 2018
    This is not a required email to sign up for. It is by choice. So, you are cool to choose not to do it.

The thing with your convention codes....you sure the email did not get blocked as spam? Or typoed into the tablet, or otherwise mangled? Send Kael a pic of yourself at the convention, he may be able to get through the red tape.

Complaining on this thread is not the way to do it. Even if you are being creative about keeping on topic. Won't be effective in gaining you your BOFF.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    @ambassadorkael#6946

You should do a "poll" tread to ask which Tardigrade we users got so we can see how many of each we get.
    So, what is the Blue one that is laying down called???

scififan78 wrote: »
    @ambassadorkael#6946

You should do a "poll" tread to ask which Tardigrade we users got so we can see how many of each we get.

If you want a poll, you can make one. Though, not sure how long it will stay clear of "comments" in the General Discussion. LOL!

where2r1 wrote: »

The Skipper
    4073703.jpg
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • shakkazulu8shakkazulu8 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    YEP! Just what I figured...I'm a SMARTY!!! LMAO...Love it guys.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Remember...

You wlll be graded on your choice of Tardigrade. And by your choice of tartargrade sauce.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    sarvour0 wrote: »

The Skipper

The Skipper???? Reference to "Gilligan's Island"? Or something?

• ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager

The Skipper

Skipper is the Tardigrade that Rehka Sharma gave to Mary Wiseman during our STLV panel. :)
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    What's the point of this?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!

The Skipper

Skipper is the Tardigrade that Rehka Sharma gave to Mary Wiseman during our STLV panel. :)

so referencing 'Captain' Tilly/Killy? Not Gilligan's Island? hmnn….
    4073703.jpg

I bought a doll named "Skippy" at Walt Disney World...from that Alien Encounters attraction. Skippy looked very close to a Tardigrade.

That was back in 2005, though. I am not even sure if "Skippy" is the experimental volunteer in Alien Encounters, any more. LOL!

• claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    Still no info what this is about. :(
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Nice marketing mailing list bait.
    Due to the new GDPR laws they cannot use the email for marketing mailing list without a high risk of receiving a very large fine. They are no longer allowed to without explicit clear consent to use our personal information for anything other then what we agreed with. As there was no agreement on sighing up for them to use personal information for anything else they cannot use our information for anything else. If they do legally they are in a very bad position and will get reported and most likely fined.
    Given neither PWE nor Cryptic are located in the EU, I'm curious how that can be enforced?
    I'm also not in the EU, so I really don't understand.

Also, I got Lt. Tardigrade as well.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Nice marketing mailing list bait.
    Due to the new GDPR laws they cannot use the email for marketing mailing list without a high risk of receiving a very large fine. They are no longer allowed to without explicit clear consent to use our personal information for anything other then what we agreed with. As there was no agreement on sighing up for them to use personal information for anything else they cannot use our information for anything else. If they do legally they are in a very bad position and will get reported and most likely fined.
    Given neither PWE nor Cryptic are located in the EU, I'm curious how that can be enforced?
    I'm also not in the EU, so I really don't understand.

Also, I got Lt. Tardigrade as well.
    No idea how they do it but they do. There was a big revamp in data protection laws May this year and basically if they want to trade in the EU they have to follow the rules. Given that they have a web presence in the EU, sell to people in the EU and use EU currency they come under the new data protection laws which are great for end consumers like ourselves.

As an example Uber isn’t a EU company yet just last month they were fined.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Hmm, got the smarty one. That said, the selection of available picks was often woeful. (For instace not one ship I'd like to fly.)

And I'm amazed at the e-mail asking indignation. I've been getting PWE spam from day one. It's being deleted from day one.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    "Don't you want a tardigrade friend?" (in my best Epohh lady voice)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    toiva wrote: »
    Hmm, got the smarty one. That said, the selection of available picks was often woeful. (For instace not one ship I'd like to fly.)

And I'm amazed at the e-mail asking indignation. I've been getting PWE spam from day one. It's being deleted from day one.

Yeah, I had to "wing it" on that one, too. LOL!

• herrgis#1415 herrgis Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @gazurtoid said:
    > If you are going to run a promotion asking for email addresses you should be being a bit clearer up front how you will use the personal data that people provide through this. An email address is personal data under data protection law, and not being clear how you will use it isn't exactly great practice.

You already gave them your email when you signed up for the game account you are using right now.
    This makes literally zero difference to anything.

Providing an email address is certainly required as part of the sign-up process as you note, but that only provides Cryptic with the right to send administrative communications to you about your account - things like security messages, confirmation of sales, password changes, etc. Providing an email address as a condition of playing STO most certainly does not qualify as consent for receiving subsequent marketing communications from Cryptic/PWE, which are handled according to separate permissions.

People are signing up to this promotion to receive emails about cute tardigrade cartoons. If suddenly Cryptic start sending you other communications, such as emails about expansions, zen sales, etc, then that is legally problematic.

Peeps seem to look for conspiracies in everything. How they are using your e-mail address seems pretty clear.

"*By participating in this quiz you are electing to receive email messages pertaining to this event for a limited time.
    This promotion is managed by Star Trek Online. "
    PWE's privacy policy (a link is conveniently located at the bottom of the page), already defines how data managed by STO will be protected and used. Hopefully you read that, since as a condition of use of the Services (in that TOS you clicked through whenever you install the game) you are required to review it on a regular basis.

Peeps seem to already know how to manage marketing communications for STO, so this really is not an issue.
    Every e-mail I've received from STO has always included an unsubscribe link as well
    "One-Click Unsubscribe to opt out of emails and in-game promotions".

STO provides the op to withdrawal consent for communication, in every communication, so let's not make an issue over something that isn't an issue.

In the end, if you do not agree with any of the Terms, do not access or otherwise use the Service. ;)

You need to think of Star Trek Online as a marathon, not a sprint. Senlac t'Karveth
    Sometimes the Universe allows for the making of unexpected memories. Philippa Georgiou
    No matter your shame, gather your strength. Find a way to help those in need. Sarek of Vulcan
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    (Discussion of moderation removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    The Tardigrade itself isn't the Issue as its a real life creature. If they had to remove anything it would be the spore drive content. the Mycelliem Networkc concept is the main issue not the Tardigrades themselves. The Concept used for it was from a video game. The Owner of the game tried reaching out to cbs and now is sueing them because they didn't work it out with him as he feels they ripped off his tardigrade and spore concept and certain characters in the game. They might if they feel the need settle the issue out of court. Given how big Cbs is they might be able to hold him off till the lawsuit is dropped. Anyways I do feel they want us not to talk about this. So maybe it would be best not to escalate the issue Startrekon. All I'm giving is what I'm understanding of the situation so you yourself may understand. Plus how Tardigrades are on popular culture according to the wikipedia. If the Tardigrades were the issue then all those others who used them would be liable as well. Given its a real life creature. Such things don't fall under copyrights only made up creatures. Like D&Ds beholders. I do hope this explains it for you Startrekon.

The 2014 science documentary show Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey has featured tardigrades multiple times.[81]

In 2014, Adventure Game Studio released the Tardigrades video game that features the creatures prominently in the storyline.[82][83]

In the 2015 sci-fi horror film Harbinger Down, the characters have to deal with deadly mutated tardigrades.[84][85]

When the characters in Ant-Man (2015) and Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) shrink themselves to enter the "Quantum Realm", they encounter tardigrades.[86][87][88]

In Star Trek: Discovery (2017), the big alien "Ripper" creature who assists with navigating is said to be a cousin of the tardigrade, and is referred to as a "giant space tardigrade".[89][90]

The 2017 South Park episode "Moss Piglets" involves a science experiment in which tardigrades learn to dance to the music of Taylor Swift.[91][92]

The 2018 Family Guy episode "Big Trouble in Little Quahog" features Stewie and Brian being shrunk to microscopic level, and they meet a group of friendly tardigrades or "water bears" who help them.[93]

• thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    To avoid the edit monster, even if things turned south for Cbs on Discovery. Sto wouldn't be effected because of the Tardigrades but because of all the other stuff. So don't worry about it and just worry about how you are going to take care of the Tardigrade what you need to feed it. What you need to do to give it the love it deserves and all that. :) Maybe they will add more kinds of Tardigrade into the game. Maybe missions involving the Giant Tardigrade, would be awesome. Maybe we will see a Combat Tardigrade at some point. Age of Discovery is still ongoing, and hopefully soon we will see more like klingon discovery models and other race models used in Star Trek Discovery. Later on we will see the Picard Show. Hopefully it does not interfer with anything in Sto. But maybe works with it with their storylines. Would be fun, given The Show Runner of Discovery took a concept from a video game he might even do so. Plus I think the embassy of the Orions on the Klingon Homeworld might have been a Sto Reference. Or Easter Egg.
  • kirk2811kirk2811 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    If you are going to run a promotion asking for email addresses you should be being a bit clearer up front how you will use the personal data that people provide through this. An email address is personal data under data protection law, and not being clear how you will use it isn't exactly great practice.
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    What is the point of this? Are we gonna get an ingame pet reward? Or is this all just some out-of-game stuff?
    Too little infomations, please add more.

Not exactly sure what the point of this is either.

Is it just something outside of the game that simply ties in and will have zero effect in the game for my characters? If so, I think I'll pass.

If this is just a way to get people to give up their email addresses, again, pass.

So I suppose until some more detail come to light about just exactly what this is about, yeah, you guessed it, pass.

Agreed. Same here