test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Endgame disappointing as a new player

laiwaisanlaiwaisan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
Im new just started i think a week of like serious play and grinding and i made it to LV 50 im sure you vets already know whats coming because as a new player im sure theirs this post every time some one hits lv 50.

So lets forget the huge crafting not so noob friendly stuff or the exchange system or the fact that npcs dont buy the price of gear of what it says its worth or the fact that if the gear is super rare and it says its worth 10k its actually worth 100000 snd and even millions or some crazy thing but you went by the price it said it was worth so yeah theirs that.

So like i said i kill myself night and day love this game when i got to LV 50 guess what i did im sure you know you all prob did it to lol.

Ran to the shipyard like a Kling on Christmastime day not only did i not get a free starship i didnt even get a ugly sweater WHYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! WOULD YOU DO THAT.

I LITERALLY FELT as a new player like some one had put my you know what between a car door and slammed it and then said want another.

I literally felt disgusted betrayed and let down.

then some ones like well theirs this event im sorry as some one starting out only to feel this disgusted you think i want to hear about more work and a t6 ship i may or may not be able to use cause im the wrong class im assuming sense you kinda took a dump on me im guessing this event only gives out certain class ships to race lol.

You want new blood in this game you want it to grow you dont do the above to some one its just straight messed up also cheap as hell

(Changed thread title for clarity. - BMR)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,948 Community Moderator
    Um... you're not limited on what ship you can fly based on your character. Any character can use any ship class. And event ships are cross faction, usable by ANYONE. Not only that, they're account unlocks.

And... if you're having issues... just ask us here on the forums or something. You're more likely to get usful advice by asking than you would going on a rant and saying what shouldn't be done. We got veterans here who can help.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,498 Arc User
    The free T6 event ship can be used by all classes and all factions. It is also an account-wide unlock so every captain you create gets it for free.

Or you can open your wallet, buy some Zen from Cryptic, and pick out any ship that you want from the C-Store. Doing that also supports the game so they can keep creating new content for you to play.

If you're determined not to spend any money, you can grind out 8,000 dil per day, exchange it for Zen on the dil exchange, and eventually get enough Zen to buy a ship without spending cash monies.

STO is very generous compared to for example SWTOR but eventually the free ride ends with either spending a bit of cash monies or doing some grinding. Either choice is fine, but you've now reached the point where the silver platter has been taken away.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Items on the exchange are only listed at what a person wants for them, doesn't mean they'll sell for that much. There's no way of telling how many times overpriced item A has been put on. Also helps to remember that exchange/AH prices tend to wander upwards towards a weekend and dip back down after.

I have two f2p based accounts (PC and PS4) and they are both just as viable for doing content as my LTS one. Mainly because I tend to build dilithium stocks up and only trade for zen during the phoenix event when the price goes in favour of those buying zen. I also never buy stuff outside sales, exception being the elite starter pack which is something of a steal even at the full asking price.

Gear wise you don't NEED mk15 sooperdooperultrafancy level gear, it helps for sure but isn't vital unless you're doing top level TFO's. Not getting locked into the upgrading mindset helps reduce the dilithium you're spending which can then be used elsewhere such as zen exchange or obtaining rep gear.

Its a F2P game so most systems have sadly devolved into timesinks. Crafting is a huge timesink and can easily be ignored if you want although it is maybe worth levelling certain schools for the trait perk. Likewise rep is a timesink both in how you gain the rep and how the daily reward boost makes it fairly pointless to target one rep and grind it out specifically, the random TFO reward boxes have taken some of the sting out the earning side but the building rep side is a mindless clicky drudge so look at the rewards you want, focus on them first and do the others as and when you can be bothered to.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    I've played this game for years as f2p player and it never seemed to me like "you have to pay to be good", if you want something like that SWTOR had that when it switched to free-to-play (from what I've heard the system is better now but at launch it was "sub if you truly want to play" due to how crippling playing without subbing was).

In STO you can play pretty much everything without paying anything, buying things helps for sure but if you're just aiming for "good enough" it's not needed.

I'm still not a lifetimer.

As for the exchance yes you can have overpriced items so it's best to look for a trend in the prices rather then the current price and yes it's generally more then what's the vendor price for the item is, if something is in the exchange for the exact vendor price, it generally means it's not very good.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    You get a last free ship token at lvl 61 too, and you reach there fairly fast
  • laiwaisanlaiwaisan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Wait your telling me the codes i got for the scorpion fighter and the road island ship i think its called i later can unlock so my Kling can use it guys also on a side not when i did the codes says they redeem correctly but i didnt see the scorp ship or the rhoad island one ?
    edited December 2018
    You get a last free ship token at lvl 61 too, and you reach there fairly fast they should let people know that i literally was so heart broken i wanted to just quit thank you guys for your reply's ill keep trucking away hugs to all you here
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    laiwaisan wrote: »
    Wait your telling me the codes i got for the scorpion fighter and the road island ship i think its called i later can unlock so my Kling can use it guys also on a side not when i did the codes says they redeem correctly but i didnt see the scorp ship or the rhoad island one ?

The Rhode Island is a Federation only faction ship (or Fed aligned Romulan) so a KDF cannot use it. And the Scorpion fighter is a Romulan only small craft.
    SulMatuul.png
    There are faction specific ships, but there are also crossfaction ships that exist too.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    You get a last free ship token at lvl 61 too, and you reach there fairly fast they should let people know that i literally was so heart broken i wanted to just quit thank you guys for your reply's ill keep trucking away hugs to all you here

If you do want a T6 ship then the Winter Event is great place to start. The ship this year looks pretty decent and it's easy to get hold of.
    Also.....the Anniversary event is literally right after the Winter Event ends and gives you yet another free T6 ship, so if you stick with the game you'll have 2 free top end ships within a month of each other. In fact the Xmas-Feb period is probably the best time to get free goodies in the game, so you started at the right time in that regard.

Don't worry about ships too much though, i know it's disapointing not to have access to all those shiny top end ships but learning to be effective in the low end freebies means you'll be soooo much more effective once you get into a top end ship eventually. It's more important to get used to the game and the mechanics, find a niche you're happy with and set about collecting good gear for a build type you want than just getting loads of T6 ships that might not really help you out.

If you do want help though and find yourself struggling, look up a good fleet to join and there should be plenty of people able to help you out with skills, learning missions, even getting you gear you may need.
    SulMatuul.png
    f71.png
    If you have any further questions... please feel free to ask. We may have an answer for you.
    The Scorpion Fighter is available to Romulans in general. Its not Fed-Romulan. And the Rhode Island class is only T2.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    f71.png
    If you have any further questions... please feel free to ask. We may have an answer for you.

Khajiit? Elder Scrolls!

May be the "most optimal" but it isn't the ONLY option. "Optimal" does not equal "Only". Just like you don't have to run ONLY Tactical Romulan or anything Meta. We have options.

If I wanted to be locked down on what to run, I'd play a rail shooter.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Klingon is fun too, but your choices are more limited when it comes to gear. There are a lot of player out there who will be happy to help you, and there is a LOT of content after level 50.

Recommendations:

1) Learn about Captain's Skills. You get one, and only one, free retrain token for your captain, then you have to buy them. Decide wisely!
    2) Learn DOffing. Keep those Duty Officer assignments going, and learn which Duty Officers to slot in your Active Space and Active Ground slots to improve your performance.
    3) Learn how to set up your Powers Tray so they are accessible when you want them.
    4) Learn to set up your GUI. Example, I place my Target icon above my Powers Tray and the Target Of My Target icon right beside him so I can quickly click and apply Powers and so I can see their shield and effects status. Knowing when I need to heal my target's target can be an important thing too! But you will have to find out what works best for you by trial and error, and there's a lot of data you can track, if you have it where you can find it quickly.
    4a) Related to the above, learn what the powers do. For example, if you 'heal' and enemy, the Power will be used on your enemy's target, and if you 'attack' a friendly, the power will be applied to his attacker. Not all Power are equal, and have requirement such as skills and power levels which determine their effectiveness.
    5) Learn Keybinding. There is an 'easy mode' for this built into the game on your Options menu. You can set your Q button to fire Torpedoes or your Z button to fire energy weapons, (called Phasers in the lists, even if you use Disruptors,) or you can reset to default if you get it all discombobulated. Then there is advanced keybinding which allows you to bind tray slots to keys so you can use your keyboard without having to hunt through the powers tray for the ability you want. (Do not bind everything to your Space Bar! That's an autofail!)
    6) Grind 8000 Dilithium per day, and REFINE it! Dil is the most universally useful currency in the game, and every day you don't get your 8k quota you will regret when you need Refined Dilithium for some purpose. And you will never have enough!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I forgot : pick TACTICAL as your career, too.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Still nothing as fun in STO as performing a perfect decloak alpha hit. Things go bla-boom! and you do your best to be ahead of the debris.

BoPpin' is fun, when you aren't respawning...
    brian334 wrote: »
    Still nothing as fun in STO as performing a perfect decloak alpha hit. Things go bla-boom! and you do your best to be ahead of the debris.

BoPpin' is fun, when you aren't respawning...

And that is the KEY to this game.
    You have to use your creativity and make something out of what you have and are given. Leave envy on the shelf.

(Yes, Patrickngo, even with PvP in a world where things are not competitively balanced.)

Same thing my Fleet Leader said to me when I was railing about no female characters for ViL.
    You can't wait for the Devs to come up with "something" FOR you.
    Find your niche and what motivates you. DO THAT.

Everything else kinda falls into place. OR just falls away...and it doesn't matter any more.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    You know, I've been a founding member so long now that I've forgotten what it's like to not have hundreds of different ships at my disposal. Okay, I have no idea how many ships I have available, but it's so many that I often spend about half an hour deciding what ship I want to actually use as any level captain. It's kind of cool and fun.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    @OP: despite frequent and vociferous objections to the contrary, THERE IS NO END GAME! Just when you think you've got your characters/fleets/powers sorted and settled, Cryptic adds something new. Whether it's a new "recruitment" program, extension of existing holdings, events, seasons, or whatever, there is always something more to do in the game, and I haven't even counted the Foundry (temporarily suspended), with all its depth. I'm a relative newbie with only 5 years on Holodeck, but I haven't even come close yet to having even one ship fully maxed out for each of my alts to match their respective RP's, and I've got an LTS and spend frequently on more trinkets.

As someone already mentioned: do what you like to do; if you play that out, either you can branch out or decide you're done, but it will always be your choice, not the lack of content, that determines your destiny.
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
    edited December 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    May be the "most optimal" but it isn't the ONLY option. "Optimal" does not equal "Only". Just like you don't have to run ONLY Tactical Romulan or anything Meta. We have options.

If I wanted to be locked down on what to run, I'd play a rail shooter.

Um...okay, so show me where in the game any of your choices as a player have any impact whatsoever.

hint: this IS a rail shooter. every choice available to you as a player boils down to "widest collection of options" (Fed-Romulan) vs. "Most expensive and limited options" (KDF-anything). As a Fed-Rom you get everything you would get running KDF, plus everything you get for Romulan, plus everything you get for playing Fed.

it's "Optimal" because you don't give up anything at all by doing it, while opting for KDF, you're essentially choosing to get less of everything, at higher cost, with more bugs that last longer and never get fixed, plus lots of things that don't work because the player faction is just this side of abandoned by development, having only slightly higher priority than PvP, which is a format utterly abandoned by the development staff entirely.

In terms of storyline, your KDF character does Starfleet's bidding for the first 20 or so levels, after which, you get to do exactly the same things your Fed did, for exactly the same reasons your fed did them, using exactly the same dialogue your fed used. this continues for the rest of the game.

the only real difference being access to fewer good ships in the C-store, lack of an End-game carrier unless you're a lover of lockboxes, and having non-functional starship traits being the only ones unique to the KDF side, having ships that are inferior (for the most part) to their Fed counterparts, lack of useful space traits (Pirate is teh only one on KDF side and it doesn't stack-and is available fedside via a mission boff), and while Fed players can count on the consolation prize consoles being the best from the KDF's c-store offerings, the opposite is not so; instead KDF gets the worst and least useful ones from that same tech-trade (including systems that never worked as advertised).

For Admiralty choices, Fed-Rom gets the best selection-having access to both the vast FEderation ship-list, and the Romulan list by default. KDF's list is short, costs a lot to get good stats (more than for Fed) and is extremely limited.

Doffing provides lots of Doffs that are best used on Federation builds and have only limited utility on KDF builds. To get useful ones costs a lot on the exchange and may not be compatible.

Community-wise, KDF is pretty empty. the majority of KDF toons are there to generate contraband for Fed mains, which is a function that is largely superseded by Admiralty at this point. There is very little (compared to past eras when, believe it or not, the faction had an active player community) activity or opportunity to do roleplaying, and less relevance to the game now than in the past.

This probably has a lot to do with sustained neglect and marginalization by the developer staff, along with the one-way homogenization of the faction (KDF abilities were apparently tested on KDF, and then transferred in improved and less expensive form to Federation/cross faction for Feds.) Leaving no gameplay uniqueness and little in the way of story or plotline differentiation, thus, nothing but some cosmetics that are heavily bugged remains, along with the aforementioned sustained, long term neglect.

Ok so before i even embark on this how do i start it

I want to get most bang for my buck as a fed rom but i want the rom ships

Obviously you can pick race ROM im completely new to this so pleas bare with me

on charter creation do i just pick federation and rom
    Also i dont want to be tied down to fed ships they look lame and the rom ships look better for me

If i choose rom fed am i stuck with fed ships?

also i have codes for my account for the following and id like to use them all

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery Tardigrade Wrangler Pack
    Star Trek: Online Duty Officer Pack & Tier 2 Rhode Island Starship
    Star Trek Online Scorpion Fighter Key Giveaway
    Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery Spore Engineer Pack Key Giveaway
    Star Trek Online Federation Duty Office Pack Key Giveaway

so i want to use all those if possible
    also

Also i notice on character creation
    There is DSC Starfleet,DSC star fleet,Regular StarFleet thers also romula republic which im guessing is straight rom

also do i pick tack ,engineer, ? im playing right now as tack Kling and it fits my style i like tanky ships and shooting out battles tac works good for my playstyle

also sinse theres 4 free ships to lv 40

obviosely i want the best use of Scorpion Fighter as my last free ship

i love battle cruisers so i was thinking that as my third ship

my biggest disapointment was on my kling i kept picking battle cruiser so i ended up with 4

also looks like the code i have is for a class 2 fed ship rhode island

so any suggestion on which ships

free rhode island fed ship

3 battle cruiser rom ship unless the fed ship looks cooler

4 carrier for Scorpion Fighter rom ship

1. and 2. anything other then batlle cruiser and carrier any style 1 rom and 1 fed

honestly i dont even know if you can have rom ships as a fed? but if you have choice this is the way i want it

• bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    you have 5 free slots on your account. Make sure at least 1 of them is human fed tac. (as much as saddens me to write this down)

Next, make sure you make a jem'hadar. Level him first to 65.

Next, buy elite starter pack.

Next, ... no next step. This game is almost like a sandbox, you define your own goals.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Eh.. my end game is doing queues with my fleet, occasional battle zones, Episode Reply, RTFO's, special events, and trying new ships and builds.

It's been working for me for about 6 years now so I guess I can't complain. I usually play games for 1-3 months tops and then never touch them again.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I want to get most bang for my buck as a fed rom but i want the rom ships
    Realistically.... most of these codes are for things that are rather cheap, so it's not too much of a worry if you don't use them a lot.
    Obviously you can pick race ROM im completely new to this so pleas bare with me

on charter creation do i just pick federation and rom
    Well, no. blue/red association isn't part of character creation. You choose that as part of the story.
    Also i dont want to be tied down to fed ships they look lame and the rom ships look better for me

If i choose rom fed am i stuck with fed ships?
    Fed/Rom can choose either they want
    also i have codes for my account for the following and id like to use them all
    Most of them are cross-faction and can be used for whoever.
    Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery Tardigrade Wrangler Pack
    Crossfaction
    Star Trek: Online Duty Officer Pack & Tier 2 Rhode Island Starship
    doffs might be cross-faction, ship is blue side.
    Star Trek Online Scorpion Fighter Key Giveaway
    Any Rom republic character
    Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery Spore Engineer Pack Key Giveaway
    Not sure exactly what's in this pack, but lockbox keys are crossfaction
    Star Trek Online Federation Duty Office Pack Key Giveaway
    yeah blue-side.
    so i want to use all those if possible
    You can probably use all of them on a Fed-Rom.
    also

Also i notice on character creation
    There is DSC Starfleet,DSC star fleet,Regular StarFleet thers also romula republic which im guessing is straight rom
    Choosing any of the three flavors of Federation means not being a Romulan.
    also do i pick tack ,engineer, ? im playing right now as tack Kling and it fits my style i like tanky ships and shooting out battles tac works good for my playstyle
    Don't feel the need to stick with tactical characters, science and engineer are fun too.
    also sinse theres 4 free ships to lv 40
    yeah but you're probably not going to use them after 40
    obviosely i want the best use of Scorpion Fighter as my last free ship
    It's a small craft so you're not going to fly it much.
    i love battle cruisers so i was thinking that as my third ship
    Mogais are kinda like battle cruisers... kind of.
    my biggest disapointment was on my kling i kept picking battle cruiser so i ended up with 4

also looks like the code i have is for a class 2 fed ship rhode island
    It's not very good. also the special console thingy is not useful often.

so any suggestion on which ships

As Rom Fed you will get to level 10 before you can choose an ally. Thus you only have two options, the T'Liss you get in the tutorial or a T'varo
    2. free rhode island fed ship
    you're not likely to use that after level 30. The Rom Republic freebie at 10 is a tac ship called a Dhelan
    3 battle cruiser rom ship unless the fed ship looks cooler
    yeah, Mogais are kinda like battle cruisers.
    4 carrier for Scorpion Fighter rom ship
    Doesn't work that way. The unlock code doesn't give you hangar pets. Scorp hangar pets are something you get from a Romulan Rep project.
    1. and 2. anything other then batlle cruiser and carrier any style 1 rom and 1 fed

honestly i dont even know if you can have rom ships as a fed? but if you have choice this is the way i want it
    No you can't get Romulan ships as an actual Federation player.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    I've never found that I was punished for playing KDF and I got 2 KDF chars (an orion engineer and a klingon warrior aka tactical), dispite what some people imply.
    Yeah, KDf stories are loads of fun to play. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • powskierpowskier Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Flaming/trolling removed.

ConcreteVagueCobra-size_restricted.gif

Knock it off. — StarSword-C
    Post edited by starswordc on
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Sad state of affairs indeed, if one of their own is named and shamed.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Sad state of affairs indeed, if one of their own is named and shamed.

What you talkin' 'bout, ltminns?

This discussion has been closed.