test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

32-bit client horribly broken

the 32-bit client has been horribly broken since the release of the new season. and it has only gotten worse with every patch since. what started out with a massive ui lag when the select toon screen appears, is now an unusable menu with only the mouse cursor able to move, but none of the menu items selectable. eventually the connection times out, and I have to re enter my username and password, but the I still am unable to select any of my toons. I sat for about an hour and a half to see if the issue would clear up. It did not. So I end tasked gameclient.exe and was presented with this little little gem: an error screen which said the following : "Unable to find required game data files. If this problem persists, reinstalling the application may fix the situation." keep in mind that the 64-bit client works just fine, though it has a serious tendency to crash to desktop. so IF there are missing files, it is missing from the download server at cryptic and the missing files are specific to the 32-bit version of the client. telling the launcher to verify the game files has no effect on this issue. I have also tried deleteing all the files except the "startrekonline.exe" file and letting it re-download everything, including the launcher.
Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...

Comments

• Ok, I think I have the 32-bit client working, except now all of my toons now appear to be missing..... gonna try the 64-bit client to make sure, but if my toons are all gone, some tables are gonna be flipped.
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • OK.... now I am 2 seconds from flipping tables right now....

even on the 64-bit client, my toons are gone. Additionally, the number of unlocked toon slots has been reduced to 2 and one foundry slot. if all my toons are now gone, then there should be at least 10 slots available. oddly enough when I checked the character transfer page, they still registered as being present. my next move will be too make a support request, but if I have really lost everything including all my unlocks, table flipping won't be the worst thing I do.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Before you try a verify files, turn off on demand patching. See if this changes.
    There has been problems noticed by others with On Demand patching.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • deleted gameprefs file and toons came back..... now back to the 32-bit client issue.
  • generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    ok, the 32-bit client is still horribly broken.

my toons disappeared, and the 32-bit client temporarily started working when I set the option 'PrefEntry InitialVirtualShard' to '1' this option is probably either used for internal testing or for the day the servers permanently offline or both. totally scared my self there..... but maybe this experience points to some sort of incompatibility with the 32-bit client that is not allowing proper communication with the server. when the virtual shard was used with the 32-bit client, the ui lock-up issue on the toon selection screen went away. but it came back when set the option listed above back to '0' and my toons came back (also client started contacting the servers again)
    edited December 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Before you try a verify files, turn off on demand patching. See if this changes.
    There has been problems noticed by others with On Demand patching.

I have on demand patching turned off already.

I don't know if the devs have abandoned the 32-bit client or what, but it has been horribly broken since the release of the new season

• seems like the 32-bit client runs into trouble when it accesses the cryptic servers toon list for the accounts and when the client tries to access anything that ties into what we may or may not have unlocked previously, i.e. cstore, ship tailor, tailor, etc. the 64-bit client does not run into this issue.
    edited December 2018
    Except, I am on 32-bit, and I don't seem to be having this happen. All my characters are showing up in my character select screen.

Is there any other peripheral gear, or parser, or something, you are using that interfaces with the STO program that could be causing interference?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • just took the time to update my tribble files while I went out to eat. tried out the 32-bit tribble client, and it works just fine.... so maybe a fix is incoming - eventually.
  • where2r1 wrote: »
    Except, I am on 32-bit, and I don't seem to be having this happen. All my characters are showing up in my character select screen.

Is there any other peripheral gear, or parser, or something, you are using that interfaces with the STO program that could be causing interference?

as I said above, the toons disappearing was do to me switching a flag from 0 to 1 in the gameprefs file. it was a option for the game to start a virtual shard. I don't have a local copy of my account data, so of course my toons would disappear when I turned on the virtual shard. the only problem that remains is the UI lag or lock up (except for the mouse cursor) when I use the 32-bit client.

as for peripheral gear or interfaces, I am not sure what you mean. and as for parsers, no I don't use them. the fact that the issue is solved in the tribble shard means that it will be fixed in a future version, eventually.... probably.

I think everyone is seeing UI lag right, now. Some of that was connected to T6 Rep, are yours done? I do not have it done, I see lag in DOFFing and fleet UI 's.

The program on Tribble is not the same as the one that runs on Holodeck...plus the numbers of players using either one is quite different. Though, I think there are some players that play exclusively on Tribble because it runs better for them.

Peripheral gear, as in, gaming mouse or gaming keyboard apps, or their programs that interface with STO.

Are you still seeing crashes to desktop running the 64 bit?

edited December 2018
    the only kind of gaming app I have is for my Logitech G600 MMO mouse, its the Logitech Gaming software, and I don't have it configured atm to recognize STO. and the only thing It is capable of doing is mapping keys to the buttons. since I don't have the lgs software configured specificly for sto, the mmo buttons, trigger the '1' through '=' buttons and the 'ctrl+ 1' through 'ctrl+ =' keys

tribble has the 'nightly' build versions of the game that has features that might eventually make it too holodeck right?

I do not have my t6 rep completed yet.

I am still seeing random crash to desktop type crashes in the 64-bit client. windows doesn't register any errors form the crashes, but the games error reporter gets triggered when the crash occurs. I wish there was some sort of error message that would be displayed, at least then I might have some clue as too what went wrong.

the 64-bit client may crash, but at least it works, crashes not withstanding.

I am currently downloadimg a copy of STO to another device, a 6th gen Surface Pro 5. I will try the 32-bit and 64-bit clients on that too see if problems still occur on that device.
    Post edited by generaldisaster#4313 on
    the only kind of gaming app I have is for my Logitech G600 MMO mouse, its the Logitech Gaming software, and I don't have it configured atm to recognize STO. and the only thing It is capable of doing is mapping keys to the buttons. since I don't have the lgs software configured specificly for sto, the mmo buttons, trigger the '1' through '=' buttons and the 'ctrl+ 1' through 'ctrl+ =' keys
    So, that couldn't be it.

I have a Logitech gaming keyboard, but I never loaded the program that allows me to control anything and set it up to the game....so....it is just a regular keyboard. No secondary game or memory functions. Yeah, I can set this thing up to remember settings for 3 different games! If I had that Logitech program loaded...but I only play STO.

(was told these gaming keyboards are designed to take a beating...I kept killing the cheaper ones. Ok I did kill my favorite with coffee accident.)(Don't ask how many mice I have gone through.)
    tribble has the 'nightly' build versions of the game that has features that might eventually make it too holodeck right?
    @frtoaster I can not explain what they do with Tribble programming.
    I do not have my t6 rep completed yet.
    I dread to have to start it, it is such a long haul....but I have been wondering if that would help me. But I won't be able to tell you anything about that, until I am done in a month or so. :( If I even bother to start at all.

Maybe someone who did it already can tell you if they are better off.
    I am still seeing random crash to desktop type crashes in the 64-bit client. windows doesn't register any errors form the crashes, but the games error reporter gets triggered when the crash occurs. I wish there was some sort of error message that would be displayed, at least then I might have some clue as too what went wrong.
    I was seeing that before. That is why I switched to 32-bit.

Then when all the lag started...I switched to 64-bit. It helped with the lag...but then for some reason I decided to switch back to 32-bit. ????? Don't ask why, I did not see my game program crash to desktop like the last time. I just went and switched. ???
    I am currently downloadimg a copy of STO to another device, a 6th gen Surface Pro 5. I will try the 32-bit and 64-bit clients on that too see if problems still occur on that device.
    That sounds good.

Devs are busy with their fund raiser stuff right now.... maybe after the weekend they will come back to the forum and check the bug report categories.

• I usually use the 32-bit client, because it as about 30% more stable than the 64-bit client. in other words, I got less crashes. but then the new season came out, and the 32-bit client was suddenly broken.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    as for peripheral gear or interfaces, I am not sure what you mean.

If I recall correctly, STO has code that specifically interfaces with certain gaming peripherals. I remember reading about STO being able to control the lights on certain keyboards. I have no idea if they do something special for Logitech devices, but this kind of vendor-specific code has been known to cause problems in the past.

It's not nightly. It's whenever they feel like it. It's not always announced either. I've seen Tribble get new builds with no patch notes.

I'm not sure if this will help, but you could try diffing your Holodeck and Tribble gameprefs.pref files. Also, try comparing the x86 directories and the x64 directories under Live and Playtest. That's where GameClient.exe and the DLLs are stored. Other than that, I have no clue.

In case a dev decides to read this, you might want to post the hardware and OS of your current computer.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • frtoaster wrote: »
    as for peripheral gear or interfaces, I am not sure what you mean.

If I recall correctly, STO has code that specifically interfaces with certain gaming peripherals. I remember reading about STO being able to control the lights on certain keyboards. I have no idea if they do something special for Logitech devices, but this kind of vendor-specific code has been known to cause problems in the past.

It's not nightly. It's whenever they feel like it. It's not always announced either. I've seen Tribble get new builds with no patch notes.

I'm not sure if this will help, but you could try diffing your Holodeck and Tribble gameprefs.pref files. Also, try comparing the x86 directories and the x64 directories under Live and Playtest. That's where GameClient.exe and the DLLs are stored. Other than that, I have no clue.

In case a dev decides to read this, you might want to post the hardware and OS of your current computer.

I already tried comparing the tribble, redshirt, and holodeck x86 and x64 directories, no discernible differences aside from version versions.

I finally finished downloading sto onto the surface pro. and when I set the launcher to launch the 32-bit client, it would freeze up on the cryptic load screen, and go no further. the 64-bit client on the other hand, ran wonderfully. my vorgon carrier looked awesome, and Q's winter wonderland looked spectacular. there is not really anything other than windows 10 Pro (1803) and STO (and steam) on the surface pro at the moment, which cuts down on possible causes of conflicts.

I suspect that If I upgraded my laptop to the latest build of win10, the 32-bit client would stall at the cryptic load screen as well.
    the fact that the 32-bit client stops responding (according to windows) on two different OS's and two different machines most likely means that system normally use is not at fault.

you suggested I list my system specs for the devs, so I will list it below:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
    i7-720QM
    8Gb DDR3
    NVidia GT-330m 1Gb Gddr3
    Conexant Smart Audio
    Seagate 2Gb SSHD
    Seagate 2Gb HDD
    Bluray Combo drive
    Realtek 8192SE Wifi-B/G/N
    Atheros NDIS 6.20
    Bluetooth USB controller-5 from Toshiba
    Logitech G600 MMO gaming mouse

more detailed system specs can be found here:
    https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2584418

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    Strange, I have no problems with the 32-bit client.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • engineerb4#4806 engineerb4 Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2019
    Post edited by engineerb4#4806 on
    STO Software Engineer
    I build things. Things that make us go.
  • i have never seen out of memory errors from the 32-bit client. I prefer the 32-bit because it seems to crash less than the 64-bit client. when sto does crash (for both 32 and 64 bit clients) the cryptic error reporting app always launches. and wants to do a full dump upload, which does not always succeed because the dump upload takes so long the dump server cuts the connection. I don't know if a full dump is necessary for the devs to try and solve the issue. but having to sit and wait 3 or more hours for the dump to upload is getting pretty tiresome. even if the 32-bit and 64-bit clients are supposed to be more or less the same, something is obviously not working right in the 32-bit client. I am beginning to think it might be on the server side of things. if there is a problem communicating with the 32-bit client by the servers, it would cause the ui issues. earlier in this post when I activated the virtualshard option in gameprefs, the problem on the 32-bit client went away, but so did my player data. turning off the virtualshard option reversed the missing player data, but caused the ui issue to return.
  • also just notice the post I made the other day is now missing O.o

It had my system specs in it. I don't know if it was removed for some reason or what. but I won't repost the system specs unless asked.
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Well, since my comp died and this (cheap temp) comp is "64 bit" too and using 64 bit OS and having more than 4GB RAM (8) and as the complains of 64 bit were not apparent anymore at that time (or at least seemed to be linked to OS version), I decided to give the 64 bit option a roll then, and it worked (generally) very nicely. I had my share of a FEW crashes (and a few minor quirks too related to the unsupported OS and me being a newbie, I guess, but it's fine in general) and rarely needed the force verify option which solved things up nicely (I had patch on demand OFF during all that time) but it works really nice for me in general. since previous comp was dying let alone old I can't compare "under same conditions" ofc.

Bottom line: I stayed with 64 bit, mostly somehow (as before) "having to use" Eu game proxy for best results, patch on demand OFF, force verify (or just verification) as needed (rarely. e.g. on mismatch map or version errors or if DS9/moving map crash appears etc) or occasionally verifying just after a bad crash just in case, and things are going really well - could even run the winter event (with the tip of people posted here) after years of being not very able to (e.g. last year had to do with no opponent, other years had multiple dozens of tries before a success), and finished the tenebris quest I was stuck in, I think for months. Now what which limits me is my personal difficulties not my comp or connectivity anymore, it seems, and for now game seems very playable - beside a few points which devs have adjusted to people with difficulties already. (sling, delta race etc)

As having 64 bit system with 64 bit OS and significantly above 4 GB RAM and no real issues, I see no reason to use 32 bits anymore. Even with that lousy GPU UHD 620 Intel Graphics or something like that with no self memory (shared). 8 GB RAM. Non technically, OS is gnu/linux solus 3.9999, rolling and updated with latest stable (current) available kernel for it (4.19.7-103.current no promise it's good for others). Steam (steam play) with Wine/Proton 3.16-5 (works since 3.7+ though for me or instead by POL with Wine 3.13+ possibly not including 3.21/3.20) To fix an annoyance when testing/messing around different launchers (or for 1st start of one), I also disabled Account Guard (link for that appeared on the launcher's top), it's one decision one has to make for self though.

Was unsure if to post this here, but decided a good feedback on 64 bit is needed too, even if on different OS. Maybe it helps others.

P.S.
    I wonder regarding the specs' post could be you edited it much/frequently in a way the system automatically "thought" it's a spam post (I know it wasn't spam) so it was "eaten" accidentally and automatically by the editing monster? :) I frequently add/change a line at the bottom of the post to avoid such, I guess it helps some.

Another (unlikely, long shot) option could be that the dev moved the post elsewhere to see it in other forum and look and use the info in it as it was intended? I HAVE NO IDEA.
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
    also just notice the post I made the other day is now missing O.o

It had my system specs in it. I don't know if it was removed for some reason or what. but I won't repost the system specs unless asked.

I do not see it listed in your "Comments" at all, either. Did you check "Your Drafts"...just in case it did not send?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/drafts

edited December 2018
    also just notice the post I made the other day is now missing O.o

I do not see it listed in your "Comments" at all, either. Did you check "Your Drafts"...just in case it did not send?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/drafts
    Could be it's there and due to spam filtering or something like this may refuse to be re-sent without adding a line/making some "significant" change so the system doesn't see it as the same (re)post, though no real idea if it's there. if it's there you may like to copy it before pressing post comment etc, just in case it's lost, and also maybe add a line/change something significant just in case (e.g. adding: preventing eating by the edit monster ;)) before sending. I guess more likely it is lost from draft in that case, but just in case, posting this.
  • my missing comment wasn't in my drafts list. I didn't edit it that much when I made it, although it did contain a link to the Toshiba site that had the full specs of my system. maybe the link was considered non approved and that caused my post to be removed?

anyways.... I wouldn't mind using the 64-bit client if it weren't for the completely random crashes. the crashes are so random that creating a list to replicate the issue seems to be impossible. I have been idling in Sol system space and it has suddenly crashed. likewise, I have had it crash simply from selecting my toon and it crashes during the map load. I have even had it crash just as a PVE started. I have verified my files everytime I crashed, and not once has a file been found to have been corrupt or missing. likewise, I have been consistently checking my drive using chkdsk. I have even been ensuring the drive with the sto files remains as unfragmented as possible. (this is least likely to be cause issue of though)

only reason I use the 32-bit client is it seems to crash about 30% less than the 64-bit client.

This is why I wish the devs would instate a simple error code system the would get displayed when STO crashes and brings up the cryptic error reporter. it doesn't need to be complicated. like if it displays 0x1 (or something similar) we could look at a published error code list and see that 0x1 means "insufficient resources" or whatever.
    Yes, links to some sites will cause your posts to disappear. Do not ask me why. LOL!

edited December 2018
    my missing comment wasn't in my drafts list. I didn't edit it that much when I made it, although it did contain a link to the Toshiba site that had the full specs of my system. maybe the link was considered non approved and that caused my post to be removed?

anyways.... I wouldn't mind using the 64-bit client if it weren't for the completely random crashes. the crashes are so random that creating a list to replicate the issue seems to be impossible. I have been idling in Sol system space and it has suddenly crashed. likewise, I have had it crash simply from selecting my toon and it crashes during the map load. I have even had it crash just as a PVE started. I have verified my files everytime I crashed, and not once has a file been found to have been corrupt or missing. likewise, I have been consistently checking my drive using chkdsk. I have even been ensuring the drive with the sto files remains as unfragmented as possible. (this is least likely to be cause issue of though)

only reason I use the 32-bit client is it seems to crash about 30% less than the 64-bit client.

This is why I wish the devs would instate a simple error code system the would get displayed when STO crashes and brings up the cryptic error reporter. it doesn't need to be complicated. like if it displays 0x1 (or something similar) we could look at a published error code list and see that 0x1 means "insufficient resources" or whatever.

Yes as @where2r1 said ...
    Yes, links to some sites will cause your posts to disappear. Do not ask me why. LOL!

It was eaten by the edit monster (allegedly some kind of an obscure automatic forum filtering system made by vanilla was triggered) due to that link allegedly. Somehow.
    Maybe you'd better post here https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1242862/hunting-the-edit-monster
    Possibly they innoculate your account and/or restore the post for you?

• maybe... its not that important atm.... more important too me is either finding the reason behind the crashes with the 64-bit client, or getting the 32-bit client working properly.

on a side note; I am in the middle of performing my annual chkdsk surface scan, and much to my surprise , a lot of pending sectors are showing up. lots of bad clusters are being replaced. so far no STO files affected, but it's only at directoriesd beginning with a 'B' at the moment. the 'S' directories i.e. 'Star trek online' could take a while. I only do surface scans annually because it takes so friggin long on a 2Tb HDD. I might end up running out of the spare drives space that all drives have for set aside for this sort of issue. we will see..... the fact that the issue with the 32-bit client also showed up on a 2017 surface pro, means the issue with my drive is probably not at fault. all the issue means is the computer had trouble writing to the given sector, but no physical issue was detected. The partition itself is about 5 or so years old, and started out at 500 Gb's and was copied to new drives and expanded over the years. unfortunetly the software I have that would fix this issue, spinrite 6, will not work on drives above 640Gb's. and spinrite 6.1 and spinrite 7 have remained vaporware for the past 4 years.
    I'm currently looking at HDsentinel, if anyone has any experience with this software, please let me know via private message.
  • OK, chkdsk /r finished it's run overnight. It meant I had to miss doing yesterdays event run..... but whatever.

In then end a bunch of files had their clusters moved around. but their were no bad sectors, so that is good news. I could not tell if any of STO's files got affected by the chkdsk operation, but I performed a verify via the STO launcher anyway. once that was finished I tried launching the 32-bit client. same as before, as soone as the screen with the toon selection and the discovery music started playing, the game became unresponsive. I did check with the windows task manager, and sure enough, according to windows, sto was not responding. the only recourse was to end task. Having dealt with the only possible thing in my system that could have caused issues, the 32-bit client is still horribly broken.below is the non-helpful error message that got logged into the windows event viewer when I was forced to close the 32-bit client.

The program GameClient.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
    Process ID: 276c
    Start Time: 01d493f1335b827d
    Termination Time: 217
    Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\x86\GameClient.exe
    Report Id: ef3093cd-ffe4-11e8-90cb-ce2bdc138675

and here is the listing from the action center problem reports

Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
    Faulting Application Path: E:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\x86\GameClient.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: GameClient.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 5c119986
    Hang Signature: 90d9
    Hang Type: 0
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Hang Signature 1: 90d93b9292f58acf9bd93e1ead3db785
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 17bc
    Additional Hang Signature 3: 17bc4929b0af4b49fc0704ac4ccb21fd
    Additional Hang Signature 4: 90d9
    Additional Hang Signature 5: 90d93b9292f58acf9bd93e1ead3db785
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 17bc
    Additional Hang Signature 7: 17bc4929b0af4b49fc0704ac4ccb21fd

have no idea if any of this will help the devs or anyone at all, but I thought I should include it. my next post will have my system specs. if it gets deleted again, I will go to the thread suggested before and deal with that issue there.
  • here are my system specs:

i7-720QM
    8Gb DDR3
    NVidia GT-330M 1Gb GDDR3 (discrete card)
    Conexant Smart Audio
    Realtek 8192SE (B/G/N) Wi-Fi
    Toshiba Bluetooth
    Atheros Ndis 6.20 Lan

for full system specs please see the .pdf file at the following link: https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2584418
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    I suspect your problem isn't with the game client, but rather with Steam.