test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

“Fastest Game on Ice”, lets change this.

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    When someone says the FGOI is impossible and you tell them a method that has been used without fail for over half a decade and they respond "that doesn't work either", which is blatantly false, it becomes clear that they do not want help they just want to TRIBBLE and moan.

They been practicing for 5 years, too. People excel at different things. If sliding around on ice using a ground character is not one of them...it is what it is. And different people can get some things to work...others can not.

I would like to encourage them to be patient and to keep going. I know it is frustrating, because I remember when I was still trying to learn it.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Heck if you cannot run the race and win against the NPC opponents, just fail out a bit and it will eventually give you a race without an opponent.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
    edited November 2018
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    The key to getting a race without an opponent is really simple: When you begin the wave for the race, tab out and wait for the "Press To Continue" prompt to appear. Tab back in and press to continue. Voila, no opponent. Now you have all the time in the world, and if you STILL can't walk it with zero pressure at all, I'm sorry, you can't be helped.

Hmm..I never heard of this one..... @tomilak have you tried this? Alt+Tabbing to a different window or out of the STO program and have it pause on the loading to block the opponent?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    For me the issue is not difficulty. For me it's novelty.

Sliding on the ice was fun when I first tried. Then it became routine. Now it's a grind. On the 1649th time around the track there's not a lot of new ways to run it. Walking? Backwards? Yeah, done that. If I could I'd do it pantsless and sitting just for variety.

Do I want it removed? Oh, no. It's very funny watching new guys make all the mistakes I made back when. I just want something else to do in addition to the slip-and-slide.
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    I can understand why some people have a hard time running the race, running on ice is unnatural for most people in the real world, and Cryptic did such a good job of recreating that effect in game.

It's all down to how our brain is "wired up", some can play this game on elite and find it a breeze, while others with the exact same ship/gear have a hard time on normal.

Just because I can blow past the NPC and player ahead of me doesn't make me brilliant at it, it's the roughly 250 times I've ran the race that makes me good at it, hell it took me seven goes just to win a race the first year I tried it, and I'm still prone to the odd DQ with the first couple of tries each year.
    @brian334 You can have Q turn you into a creature to run the race...It gives a different feel to it. I like the Devidian...slide while floating off the ground is LOL!

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »

Sliding on the ice was fun when I first tried. Then it became routine. Now it's a grind. On the 1649th time around the track there's not a lot of new ways to run it. Walking? Backwards? Yeah, done that. If I could I'd do it pantsless and sitting just for variety.

Do I want it removed? Oh, no. It's very funny watching new guys make all the mistakes I made back when. I just want something else to do in addition to the slip-and-slide.
    Exactly this. The event includes so much different activity, but the only thing with a unique reward is running around the map once per day, every year the same thing.

Back when I started, in 2012, there were 3 activities: the Ship Race, the PvP Race and the Snowman Fight. And each of them had a different reward (even if the Snowman reward was not entirely unique due to also being available from the doff assignments). That was good. There was reason to play all of them.

Since then, every new activity added has been Just Another Ornament Grind. Even worse, they've also cut the yields of the Ornament drops to a fraction of what they were in the beginning, perhaps in an effort to hold back the rampant inflation caused by people having farmed and stockpiled them for years on end. A situation that wouldn't even exist if they had left the ornaments a Snowman only reward and come up with something else for the other activities.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Even worse, they've also cut the yields of the Ornament drops to a fraction of what they were in the beginning, perhaps in an effort to hold back the rampant inflation caused by people having farmed and stockpiled them for years on end.

Well, with the quick-and-rewarding doff missions, inflation isn't really out of control. And considering the many expensive stuff suddenly having appeared in Risa (emotes, baseball uniforms), I wouldn't be too surprised if some very expensive thingamajigs would turn up. Announcement says nothing about it though.

As for alternates: I am all for it. But I'd say keep it winter event related, not some random space TFO. But yeah, any of the other events would be fine, though preferrably in a way that doesn't reward AFK leeching, dunno whether that'd be possible.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I want Team vs. Team Snowball Fights. Each fight awards a new ornament that can buy PvP ground gear.

I also want it to award unique items in the same way we get accolades.

100 hits with a snowball = a T-shirt with Q's portrait on the front and on the back it says, Q Gave Me This Shirt.
    1000 hits with a snowball = a red toque with a white puffball.
    10000 hits = a pair of red pants with black boots.
    100000 hits = a red jacket trimmed with white fur and green gloves.
    1000000 hits = a Q hologenerator so you can walk around looking like Q. Also grants deflection bonus to snowballs.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    When I first participated in this in December of 2013, I couldn't win the race at all. After a few tries I gave up and that was it for about four days.

Then I read what people had posted about how to complete this. I use the dash and roll approach. I run at full speed (no ice boots), when I get to a corner I double tap 'W' and roll into the direction of the turn. Not elegant and I may do this between ten to fifteen times a run, but I never lose.

Except if I get a bit c*cky and try to avoid too many tumbles. When in doubt, roll.

Using an asterisk to replace a vowel or double letter is much more elegant than substituting a shouted Tribble. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I want Team vs. Team Snowball Fights. Each fight awards a new ornament that can buy PvP ground gear.

I also want it to award unique items in the same way we get accolades.

100 hits with a snowball = a T-shirt with Q's portrait on the front and on the back it says, Q Gave Me This Shirt.
    1000 hits with a snowball = a red toque with a white puffball.
    10000 hits = a pair of red pants with black boots.
    100000 hits = a red jacket trimmed with white fur and green gloves.
    1000000 hits = a Q hologenerator so you can walk around looking like Q. Also grants deflection bonus to snowballs.
    I have a feeling those numbers are too high (though I haven't done the math since I couldn't find any numbers for snowballs on the wiki), but in principle this is a good idea.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Even worse, they've also cut the yields of the Ornament drops to a fraction of what they were in the beginning, perhaps in an effort to hold back the rampant inflation caused by people having farmed and stockpiled them for years on end.

Well, with the quick-and-rewarding doff missions, inflation isn't really out of control. And considering the many expensive stuff suddenly having appeared in Risa (emotes, baseball uniforms), I wouldn't be too surprised if some very expensive thingamajigs would turn up. Announcement says nothing about it though.

As for alternates: I am all for it. But I'd say keep it winter event related, not some random space TFO. But yeah, any of the other events would be fine, though preferrably in a way that doesn't reward AFK leeching, dunno whether that'd be possible.

The emotes and baseball uniforms were about the average cost of any Risa clothing options. It's not a sudden appearance of expensive stuff when the comparable stuff from every previous year was the same price. It's just that Risa stuff is 4-5 times as expensive as Winter Wonderland stuff, based on how much of the currency that you get from activities, and has been from the beginning.

Exactly this. The event includes so much different activity, but the only thing with a unique reward is running around the map once per day, every year the same thing.

Back when I started, in 2012, there were 3 activities: the Ship Race, the PvP Race and the Snowman Fight. And each of them had a different reward (even if the Snowman reward was not entirely unique due to also being available from the doff assignments). That was good. There was reason to play all of them.

Since then, every new activity added has been Just Another Ornament Grind. Even worse, they've also cut the yields of the Ornament drops to a fraction of what they were in the beginning, perhaps in an effort to hold back the rampant inflation caused by people having farmed and stockpiled them for years on end. A situation that wouldn't even exist if they had left the ornaments a Snowman only reward and come up with something else for the other activities.

The rewards for time spent is definitely less for each new activity added (a trait generally shared by Risa activities), but the "fraction" of rewards is still pretty close, so long as you know what you're doing, and not counting 2012's dig for ornaments in the snowball piles "activity." From just Snowball Fight, including swapping instances, you would be lucky to get much more than 40 per hour in 2012. You can easily get 40 per 90 minutes off of just a single Snowball Fight (good luck trying to get much more from swapping instances now, since even 2 people with Winter weapons can finish the thing in pretty short order) and a low-population Tide of Ice. If you avoided the rest of the scheduled activities (and who would blame you?), and supplemented those with a Winter Invasion and a round of Pie Eating, you could still get really close to same rate per minute even now, around 60 in the new 90 minute cycle. Now, if you're talking about snowball pile digging only interrupted by Snowball Fight and The Fast and the Flurrious, an option only available in 2012, then, yes, anything would pale in comparison.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    anodynes wrote: »
    The rewards for time spent is definitely less for each new activity added (a trait generally shared by Risa activities), but the "fraction" of rewards is still pretty close, so long as you know what you're doing, and not counting 2012's dig for ornaments in the snowball piles "activity." From just Snowball Fight, including swapping instances, you would be lucky to get much more than 40 per hour in 2012. You can easily get 40 per 90 minutes off of just a single Snowball Fight (good luck trying to get much more from swapping instances now, since even 2 people with Winter weapons can finish the thing in pretty short order) and a low-population Tide of Ice. If you avoided the rest of the scheduled activities (and who would blame you?), and supplemented those with a Winter Invasion and a round of Pie Eating, you could still get really close to same rate per minute even now, around 60 in the new 90 minute cycle. Now, if you're talking about snowball pile digging only interrupted by Snowball Fight and The Fast and the Flurrious, an option only available in 2012, then, yes, anything would pale in comparison.
    Wrong. You could get a whole lot more in 2012. For one, back then 2 people with weapons would've had hard time finishing the map at all, meaning there were always instances needing help. There were also a lot more instances to work with, because players having to run the ship race for all toons meant the population was much higher. So you could always get at least 5-10 bossfights in every run (twice per hour). And the bossfights all gave full reward, whereas now you get a few measly ornaments unless you kill most of the regular snowmen yourself. I gave up instance switching when I saw that happen...and with instance switching, the whole fight.

All I ever do for ornaments anymore is doff assignments. And generally only on my designated ship race mule at that. None of the actitivies are worth my time.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    so glad that you all think it is easy. I never am able to do it and get a reward. just like that stupid mission with the space suits. i HATE that TRIBBLE.
    but I get that it's just a game and if I can't do soemthing i just don't get the shiney ship
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    So you could always get at least 5-10 bossfights in every run (twice per hour). And the bossfights all gave full reward, whereas now you get a few measly ornaments unless you kill most of the regular snowmen yourself. I gave up instance switching when I saw that happen...and with instance switching, the whole fight.
    4 trinkets for tagging the boss once is adequate reward for me. :p
    All I ever do for ornaments anymore is doff assignments. And generally only on my designated ship race mule at that. None of the actitivies are worth my time.
    Tide of Ice has the best rewards. Yes you have to actually participate in the full 10 -15 minutes of the event... but you get a reward for each of the 10 waves. so you can get 20+ for it. If you zone swap enough you can get more for snowman hunter, but you have to get several zones.

Also doffing only gives 4 per assignment unless you crit.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    The emotes and baseball uniforms were about the average cost of any Risa clothing options. It's not a sudden appearance of expensive stuff when the comparable stuff from every previous year was the same price. It's just that Risa stuff is 4-5 times as expensive as Winter Wonderland stuff, based on how much of the currency that you get from activities, and has been from the beginning.

Somewhat true. It will depend on how you clothe obviously. But there were a lot introduced at once, so if you're completionist it really added up across toons. In other words: it emptied my account bank somewhat, which isn't even that bad a thing. And it certainly was a change from previous years in as much as once you got your swimwear and summer clothing, all you needed was a new console and maybe - depending on pet affinity - caracals for the same combined cost as one emote.

It may also be an issue for me that new swimwear was less interesting (I already have swimwear) than the baseball stuff (didn't have that before).

And lest we forget: a new tier of power boards and floaters got introduced, so if you actually like the PvP races, like I do, that was an extra 3k per toon. No equivalent of the latter in WiWo though, unless we get superior snow boots.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @annemarie30 said:
    > so glad that you all think it is easy. I never am able to do it and get a reward. just like that stupid mission with the space suits. i HATE that TRIBBLE.
    > but I get that it's just a game and if I can't do soemthing i just don't get the shiney ship

Then, frankly, how do you play the game? There is nothing whatsoever different in the controls anywhere else.

Different people have different ways to control their toons, what they use doesn't make much of a difference on regular space or ground maps, but add a brain that is unable to cope with movement on ice or Zero-G and you have a player that is going to struggle.

Cryptic actually got that space walk effect pretty damned accurate, too accurate for most as they had to "tone it down a bit" because of all the complaints they got.

Being in too much of a hurry is your enemy on the space walk, as it causes you to use far to much thruster, easiest way is just to take your time and use as little thruster as possible, as the less you use the less opposite thruster you need to use to correct your "drift".
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    xuel wrote: »
    Please give us a new and different daily then the “Fastest Game on Ice” for the starship. I mean come on it's been like what 8 or so years and the starship daily is the same. We are getting a non-breen ship for a change, why not a new daily to go with it.

My vote is "Donut eating". Let's make this happen.

To be honest, it took me forever to figure out how to win the ice racing thing. Once you do, it's cool.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Honestly....it;'s a free event ship that is given out for a stupidly easy daily task run over 25 days. How much easier do you want it to be??!?!
    If you cannot be bothered to learn to run the race then why should it be changed to something even easier just to please those unwilling to try and learn? I mean i cannot do 100K dps but i don't expect the game to be nerfed so i can do that easier. If you want something in the game, get off your TRIBBLE and earn it.

As to changing the event mission for something else, we ll maybe have it rotate through a couple of events every 2 yrs or something. But generally the devs shouldn't need to devote a lot of resources to something that essentially earns them nothing.
    Free ship from an uber-easy mission is a pretty good bargain.
    SulMatuul.png
    It is cool, once you learn it. I agree. :)
    My vote is "Donut eating". Let's make this happen.

To be honest, it took me forever to figure out how to win the ice racing thing. Once you do, it's cool.

• tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Any word on a C-Store event pack, like the ones they've put out for recent events?
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • powskierpowskier Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    They don't change the Olympics every season ,and they sell out still

the Race on the ground does get players down to the surface-or some would never visit Winter Wonderland,nor participate in the Reindeer games
    edited December 2018
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Any word on a C-Store event pack, like the ones they've put out for recent events?

I am going to say, if they had it for Risa....they will have it for WW.
    Of course, I can not remember if they had them for Risa. LOL!
    Or if they started it AFTER Risa.

So helpful, huh?

powskier wrote: »
    They don't change the Olympics every season ,and they sell out still
    That's probably because the Olympics don't consist of a single few-minute long footrace that's repeated once per day for 25 days and then it's over, come back next year. :p
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    At least vary the track from year to year or fit in a surprised or two.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »

It's a Lobi pack once you have slotted the project - https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1245573/lobi-store#latest

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    The Voucher Packs you can get in the C-Store that gives you 10 Vouchers and an Epic Upgrade Token is for the TFO Events (21 day, you need 14 Voucher style). These 1,000 Thingamabob Events (Winter, Summer, Anniversary) are Yearly Branded 'currency' and can only be speeded up by overpaying Lobi for a paltry number of the Yearly Branded Thingamabobs in the Lobi Store.

And low and behold you can get yourself Lobi right now by buying Promotional R&D Packs containing 10 Lobi or an Infinity R&D Ship Box.

Step right up boys and girls for the thrill of a lifetime. 'All it takes is Zen and a Dream'.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.