test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Q's Winter Wonderland!

Comments

• themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    So Saying "Merry Christmas" is NOT allowed in the forums?
    Why are we celebrating winter event?

For the benefit of the audience could we please add what words are forbidden on the FCT so that we are careful not to offend others. I'm not discussing religion just mere wording and what is or not acceptable since lots of people do have different cultural backgrounds and just want to be sensitive to all cultures?​​

Personally I find the offense taken to be hilarious. Ben Stein said it best: "I'm a Jew, but I don't mind if someone says Merry Christmas to me. It means they care enough to include me in thwir holiday. I just say Happy Hanukkah in return."
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • bucklerpwbucklerpw Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    That is a fugly ship! Do Fek'Ihri have any association with winter, cold or snow? The obvious choice, besides Breen, is Andorian. Make an Andorian ship for Q's Winter Wonderland, which is not Christmas at all. Any similarities to Christmas is purely coincidental.
  • kirk2811kirk2811 Member Posts: 85 Arc User

For the benefit of the audience could we please add what words are forbidden on the FCT so that we are careful not to offend others. I'm not discussing religion just mere wording and what is or not acceptable since lots of people do have different cultural backgrounds and just want to be sensitive to all cultures?​​

Personally I find the offense taken to be hilarious. Ben Stein said it best: "I'm a Jew, but I don't mind if someone says Merry Christmas to me. It means they care enough to include me in thwir holiday. I just say Happy Hanukkah in return."

Agreed; and just in case: Happy Holidays! :smiley:
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    kirk2811 wrote: »

Agreed; and just in case: Happy Holidays! :smiley:
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Can we have a Breen ship next year?

Too many breen ships already. We've Breen there and done that already.

Excellent pun.

nommo#5819 wrote: »

I'm not into the sweater look, but the tardigrade in a Santa cap, disco, & what seems to be a Borge cube with antlers all seem approved by the Gorn at least.

It would be a nice touch if the Borg Cubes (and other geometrical-influenced shaped Borg ships) were given antlers during the Holiday event :)

Hilarious idea. Antlers on the cubes, Santa cap on the spheres, jingle bells on the probes, & the octahedron maybe an inverted stocking. Probably too much work for Cryptic's crew with no payoff.

Unless it's Lootbox unlock.
  • wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    bucklerpw wrote: »
    That is a fugly ship! Do Fek'Ihri have any association with winter, cold or snow? The obvious choice, besides Breen, is Andorian. Make an Andorian ship for Q's Winter Wonderland, which is not Christmas at all. Any similarities to Christmas is purely coincidental.

It's largely inspired by the Kramp'ihri thing that's been appearing in the recent events. As much as I love the Breen and their ships, we do basically have all of 'em (except for a pilotable Bleth Choas fighter), so it makes sense that Cryptic would move on to something new.

Granted, I still kinda wish we'd get a Breen uniform unlock to buy with the winter commodities.

@MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    ee3452p wrote: »
    tomilak wrote: »
    Another nice ship I will miss out on cause I CANT do the race at all - period.
    And before all the ideas started I HAVE TRIED THEM ALL. . . I CANT DO THE RACE!
    AND I am not the only one who CANT do the impossible race.
    The race is pretty easy. Just everytime you want to change course, jump up, let go of the foward key, align your character in midair and continue going forward once you touch the ground again. Forward - Jump up - let go of foward - left right to align yourself - forward again once you touch the ground.
    Also worth noting that, whilst not the most efficent method, doing a forward roll can help stop unwanted sliding too.
    If you're really good you can turn as you approach the corner to pre-emptively counteract the sliding. It takes considerable practice and skill to make it work right though. But it is as far as I can tell the fastest way to corner, and if you time it right you will actually be able to get traction by touching the side of the course while turning. Example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTky6-whkk4
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User

Personally I find the offense taken to be hilarious. Ben Stein said it best: "I'm a Jew, but I don't mind if someone says Merry Christmas to me. It means they care enough to include me in their holiday. I just say Happy Hanukkah in return."

It doesn't matter how sensitive toward others you try to be. If they decide to look for something to be offended about, well then!, they're going to FIND something to be offended about. This has nothing at all to do with your sensitivity to others.
    It is all about them showing publicly what a good person they are.

Unfortunately, these same people also make a great deal of noise and bother with companies like Cryptic. They threaten them with lawyers and boycotts and nasty posts in all the social media outlets. So naturally, Cryptic has to clamp down on the phrases these people get all worked up about. This isn't fair to everyone else, but it is understandable.

Even though I disagree with such a business decision to the very core of my being.

When you let others censor your speech and actions in the name of "being sensitive towards others", it isn't a very far trip to surrendering control of all you hold dear and important to them as well.

To the people I've quoted here, I want to publicly express my great desire that you enjoy the celebration of the day of the birth of the son of an Omnipotent Being. I also want to publicly express my great desire that in the time after the Winter Solstice, your lives are healthy, happy and you acquire sufficient monetary assets to ensure your continued well-being.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    Thanks for the ideas on how to handle corners. . . I CANT handle whats necessary to do turns, I have tried with and without the mouse, rolls, etc, iI just do not have what it takes to be able to handle whats necessary to win at the impossible race.
    Um i tried your idea also, 30 min later still getting opponents. Gave up!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    It seems the Q universe is against you in WW, tomilak!!!
    Just what did you say to him??? It is bad luck to tick off a Q. ::::giggles:::: :) J/K

Hope you keep trying once in a while. Because once I learned how....I have come to like that little ice race. Yes, it took me a while to learn to do it.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    The problem is i tell Q what i think of him LOL and he isnt very forthcoming after you do that.
    plus i found the sweet spot outside his protected dome so i can take pot shots at him with the sniper rifle.
    edited November 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    It seems the Q universe is against you in WW, tomilak!!!
    Just what did you say to him??? It is bad luck to tick off a Q. ::::giggles:::: :) J/K

Hope you keep trying once in a while. Because once I learned how....I have come to like that little ice race. Yes, it took me a while to learn to do it.
    Yeah, the first year I had a lot of trouble doing it, but after practicing several times a day I got used to it.

Another thing to remember is that staying on course is more important than running. I can pretty much sprint the whole course, but I have years of practice. You don't NEED to sprint to win though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    Klingon demons make Rudolph and Frosty cry.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Yeah, the first year I had a lot of trouble doing it, but after practicing several times a day I got used to it.

I wonder if THAT is the trick....because I thought the first year or two....I had to run the race and collect tokens on each and every character I wanted the ship on. ??? I was running it 5X a day! That is a lot of practice.
    Another thing to remember is that staying on course is more important than running. I can pretty much sprint the whole course, but I have years of practice. You don't NEED to sprint to win though.

Yes. Keep the ice boots at home.

I, also, found the taller your character, more difficult it is to gauge your distance from the edges. Those longer arms and legs are more likely to flail themselves over the DQ lines and, well, contributes to sliding in strange ways.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    nikolunus wrote: »
    Well this looks interresting, though to be honest I was hoping for a new direction for the ground weapon this year. Something to play off Winters chill more. Like an Ice shard whip, to deal cold damage in melee.
    A reasonable suggestion, sir. 'Cryo-infused' (for want of a better term) weapons - lirpa, bat'leth, sword - would be a welcome addition.
    I just feel the same nano-pulse style weapons have gotten pretty stale; speacialy with you not able to upgrade them.
    And what makes the nanopulse weapons worse is that they do plasma damage - Borg can and do adapt to them.
    The ship on the otherhand looks great, very curious if it will have changable elements, like changing the color of the flames.
    A bit of Google-fu unearthed this. Yes, it would be appreciated if you could change the flame coloration, as well as opt to remove the 'sails'. And while Mr. Ortiz thought it'd be something the 'Main Man' would come up with (and I don't blame him), I can't be the only one who saw this and imagined... well, let me put it this way...

"Captain Riggs, your ship is ready for its shakedown cruise..."

We should also wonder if there are plans afoot for a Fek'Ihri console set...
    I do like the winter nightmare theme though, and the ground kits are a nice change up.
    Indeed they are.

Seriously doubtful. Why? Because you'd have to include something for the Kar'fi Battle Carrier, which currently is a KDF, Rom/KDF, and JH/KDF only ship. And if you do that, blueside will raise hell that they're getting robbed of a set bonus.
  • robert#4620 robert Member Posts: 129 Arc User

I'm led to believe the developers are going the complete obosite with having ships that are "fire" base. When it's cold outside we need to keep warm etc..
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    nikolunus wrote: »
    Well this looks interresting, though to be honest I was hoping for a new direction for the ground weapon this year. Something to play off Winters chill more. Like an Ice shard whip, to deal cold damage in melee.
    A reasonable suggestion, sir. 'Cryo-infused' (for want of a better term) weapons - lirpa, bat'leth, sword - would be a welcome addition.
    I just feel the same nano-pulse style weapons have gotten pretty stale; speacialy with you not able to upgrade them.
    And what makes the nanopulse weapons worse is that they do plasma damage - Borg can and do adapt to them.
    The ship on the otherhand looks great, very curious if it will have changable elements, like changing the color of the flames.
    A bit of Google-fu unearthed this. Yes, it would be appreciated if you could change the flame coloration, as well as opt to remove the 'sails'. And while Mr. Ortiz thought it'd be something the 'Main Man' would come up with (and I don't blame him), I can't be the only one who saw this and imagined... well, let me put it this way...

"Captain Riggs, your ship is ready for its shakedown cruise..."

We should also wonder if there are plans afoot for a Fek'Ihri console set...
    I do like the winter nightmare theme though, and the ground kits are a nice change up.
    Indeed they are.

Seriously doubtful. Why? Because you'd have to include something for the Kar'fi Battle Carrier, which currently is a KDF, Rom/KDF, and JH/KDF only ship. And if you do that, blueside will raise hell that they're getting robbed of a set bonus.

Oh, like blueside has room to complain with the Vesta consile set. Feds get the fastest slipstream and Klinks don't. Oh boo hoo cry me a flipping river.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    mgoblin2 wrote: »
    Granted, I still kinda wish we'd get a Breen uniform unlock to buy with the winter commodities.

Yes, please! I have wanted the Breen outfit and more Breen officers for quite a while. The tactical officer is one thing, but we need an Engineering officer and a Science officer as well.
    I'm led to believe the developers are going the complete obosite with having ships that are "fire" base. When it's cold outside we need to keep warm etc..
    The weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-b3iU-INDo
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User

I feel your pain. :/

While I eventually managed to figure out a way of completing the ice race, I did have a similar problem with the Mission: Operation Gamma. Never managed to complete it. Not even once. And I really killed myself trying. I'm perfectly fine with that one being gone.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Snowball fight!!!
    angelone035.jpg
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    edited November 2018
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    And if you do that, blueside will raise hell that they're getting robbed of a set bonus.

Oh, my Klingon heart bleeds purple peanut butter for the bluesiders. So worried you won't get a set bonus. You have the most toys, the most ships, the most everything. I can even think of at least one set bonus you have that KDF doesn't... Vesta bundle. Fed and their allies get access to the fastest ships in the galaxy and the most powerful slipstream drive, and yet you wanna complain if the redside gets something the blueside doesn't. Oh, the horror.

Boo freaking hoo.

Things I want in STO:

I did have a similar problem with the Mission: Operation Gamma. Never managed to complete it. Not even once. And I really killed myself trying. I'm perfectly fine with that one being gone.
    I could do it for you if you team with me. :p Besides it has optional objectives that require you to have at least 3 players to get all the bonuses.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • omegaher0omegaher0 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Any chance of an event booster for this? Those boosters REALLY help me get them done and get the rewards as I don't have the time to play STO every day. And I would really like that ship!
    "Suffer the little ones, lest they rise up and beat you senseless." Druid's Call, from Magic: The Gathering
    Doubt it since you can buy vouchers with Lobi.

Things I want in STO:

edited December 2018

I feel your pain. :/

While I eventually managed to figure out a way of completing the ice race, I did have a similar problem with the Mission: Operation Gamma. Never managed to complete it. Not even once. And I really killed myself trying. I'm perfectly fine with that one being gone.

In that mission, the Aceton Assimilator console becomes your best friend. Drop one underneath DS9 bedore you start doing the thing and the station defenses commit suicide by trying to destroy it, leaving you wide open to target the worker bees and kill them. Even the Jemmie strike ship becomes a breeze to destroy.

Same goes for the swarmers that Farek riles up before making her escape.

Really, the AA is awesome for any shuttle mission.

Things I want in STO:

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    One of these years, can we please get a space queue for the winter event? Chasing and destroying comets to find Q's specially hidden Holiday Trinkets or something. The more Trinkets the team uncovers, the better the reward. You could even throw in a few Breen fleets to make it more interesting. Throw in some Winter Event themed weapons where cannons and turrets shoot ice shards and beams shoot water streams that freeze on contact. Add in a Starship to Fek'lhri Santa Ferengi Missle Launcher and some Holiday themed fun. A Fek'lhri Santa boss queue similar to the Crystaline Entity in style but have it move around a lot more or take the old Risa map and give us a bazooka looking rocket launcher to try and shoot him down as Fek'lhri Santa flies across the Risan sky so we can collect all of the loot. :D
This discussion has been closed.