test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fun factor

pino31pino31 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
There is none. Gameplay is frustrating. The game has come a long way since it started so I'm not really set out to knock it or complain too much. If everyone else is having a good time that's great! But I'm not having fun. I find myself frustrated every time I play STO and tbh I have since it's existed for some reason. But I don't find a similar frustrating experience when I play other MMOs. It's why I haven't bought into STO despite how big a Star Trek fan I am. I want to have fun!

I don't understand maybe I'm doing something wrong but I believe I understand how to level characters up in the game and yet I have crappy toons or gameplay is totally frustrating and lacks any fun. I don't understand.

If I wanted to be frustrated I wouldn't play video games I'd just live in my real life it's frustrating enough. I'm here to take it easy and release frustrations not have the game add to it.

ridiculous and i don't understand.

why is STO different from any other game? Could totally just be me? But don't understand why STO is so frustrating.

Maybe too complex for a casual gamer? o.O

WTF
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Since I began STO in 2012 I had my fair share of downs as well over the years but always was fortunate to have in game friends supporting me. In the end you can only help yourself of course but whatever we can do to assist we try to do.

What’s your trouble? :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    When I first started playing this game...I had my friend to do stuff with. I am very sure THAT alleviated all of my frustration of figuring out this game. Now, I have less problems playing this game as a Solo player.

Even if for a short time, join with a fleet or team up with a Veteran player to get you pointed the right direction and figure out all the quirks and finer points in this game. If playing solo is what you are after.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Fun is subjective.

That said, I can relate. I think the Voth were the last encounter group(space and ground) that I really 'enjoyed'. It just feels like every encounter is designed by TRIBBLE(s) who want to make fights as mechanically miserable as possible instead of having clearly defined strengths, flaws and interesting counterplay(beyond spam AoE and invuln until they're dead, because the hoops aren't worth the effort to jump through). The Undine are the first point where I really remember obnoxious CC and enemy quantity spam really starting to ramp up in a trend that has continued ever since.

The ONLY series I remember Star Trek delving into battle on the scale of a typical modern STO encounter was DS9. Everything else was mostly smaller scale showdowns.. And, those were honestly my favorite moments of STO. (Learning how to deal with your first D'deridex, working together to chase down and take out the assimilated Donatra, escaping a Tholian Web, fighting a Changeling, etc.)
  • forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    Other than "I'm frustrated" there's not a lot of info in your OP. Most 'other MMOs' don't have both a ground and a space segment, most other MMOs don't have 3-dimensional flight/space based combat, most other MMOs (in my experience) don't encourage quite as much gear swapping and mix/matching as STO does. So maybe your frustration stems from one of those things?

For normal PvE content (with your difficulty set on Normal or Basic or whatever the lowest level is), is not terribly hard. Some basic gear from your missions and drops, a few cheap pieces of the Exchange, and a couple rules like "Use only one weapon energy type, use either beams OR cannons (not both) and select powers for that type, use Tactical consoles that boost the one energy type you selected" are generally enough to get you through content until you hit the missions at Delta quad and beyond.

The skill tree and traits system may seem a bit complex, but basically you don't need to do anything overly clever with them to complete normal content. Pick anything that looks decent - you won't be optimal but you won't be totally broken either.

If you gave an idea what content you find frustrating (or why), what kind of ship/gear you are using at what level, etc. it might be possible to give more targeted help.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »
    That said, I can relate. I think the Voth were the last encounter group(space and ground) that I really 'enjoyed'. It just feels like every encounter is designed by TRIBBLE(s) who want to make fights as mechanically miserable as possible instead of having clearly defined strengths, flaws and interesting counterplay(beyond spam AoE and invuln until they're dead, because the hoops aren't worth the effort to jump through). The Undine are the first point where I really remember obnoxious CC and enemy quantity spam really starting to ramp up in a trend that has continued ever since.
    Every time they do add anything at all interesting to combat, people come here complaining about how "obnoxious" it is that the enemies can actually do anything at all.

People apparently want dumb HP sponges that sit there waiting for a player to come kill them.

The enemy numbers on the other hand, would be totally awesome....if they weren't all rigged to give 0 XP.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Admittedly, on the front end STO seems wickedly complicated, but that's what keeps me in the game, frankly. The myriad of options of all kinds, variety of RP, and social interaction allow for a deeply immersive experience, with some homage to the franchise throughout. When you throw in the Foundry on top of it all, there's practically no "end game". STO has become my primary hobby, and I fund it accordingly. B)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I am not sure what is going on here....this must be the 3rd or 4th post in the past month or two where someone comes in saying they are frustrated by the game. But not really articulating what it is that is possibly wrong?

And the OP here says he plays other MMOs without an issue? But STO is questionable?

This is the first MMO I ever played. I know it helped a lot having my Fleet Leader explain lots of stuff....uh, after he was able to teach me how to walk through the doors with my character.

(OK, ok....I found out, very recently, he learned a lot from listening to our Armada Leader. And, of course, I love to read. So, I benefited from lots of people, albeit indirectly.)

So, every time someone makes a post like this I am thinking: what is missing in STO?
    How did I end up loving this little "questionable" MMO...and someone else just wants to dump it?

I wonder if the OP gave up and won't be back? And how many people are doing this? And leave not saying anything?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    I can understand what the OP is getting at, if you are a new player or even a casual who can only manage a few hours a week, then this game can very quickly start to look like one of those Korean "grinders" you hear about.

It all starts off fine, getting new gear and ships as you level up, then suddenly you are level 65, you are in a T5 ship with MK11 gear (if lucky some mk12 VR), and you are going "Boom" regularly as a result. They will have barely started working on the reps, their R&D will still be low level, little in the way of EC or Dil, in other words they are screwed, so it's either knuckle down and grind or quit, and as far as Cryptic are concerned far to many of them are quitting.

Us vets tend not to see it as a massive grind purely because we have been here for the long haul, we have gotten the grind in small amounts, given the time to gather the gear and resources when we were level 50, then again at level 60, so the jump to level 65 didn't "bother" most as they had the resources.

This is sort of what that other thread about why does the game "hate new players" was about, Cryptic have fallen into the same "trap" that many other MMO developers have fallen into. They spend that much time coming up with ways to keep thier existing player base in game, while at the same time trying to milk the whales dry, that they forget all about the "new player experience".

Far too many MMO have died because their developers either couldn't see what they were doing, or couldn't find a way out of it, here's hoping Cryptic wake up and come up with a way out of the trap before it's too late.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    Fun is very subjective regarding mmos. Yes some will appeal to a wider audience but even them will have a great share of people who try them or even play them a while and end up not liking them. To make it short no game is for everyone - you weight your personal pros and cons towards it and you either like a game and stay into it or you move on to another. I also dont like a mmo that is popular to many and got 1m+ subscribers - I dont feel the need to post there their fun factor is low though
    bejaymac wrote: »
    I can understand what the OP is getting at, if you are a new player or even a casual who can only manage a few hours a week, then this game can very quickly start to look like one of those Korean "grinders" you hear about.

It all starts off fine, getting new gear and ships as you level up, then suddenly you are level 65, you are in a T5 ship with MK11 gear (if lucky some mk12 VR), and you are going "Boom" regularly as a result. They will have barely started working on the reps, their R&D will still be low level, little in the way of EC or Dil, in other words they are screwed, so it's either knuckle down and grind or quit, and as far as Cryptic are concerned far to many of them are quitting.

I totally disagree. It probably is against the rules to mention other games but starting off easy and on max lvl having to do dungeons on low quality gears first is a line that matches most mmos that base their end game on dungeons and raids. They dont magically got the gears they also need to grind these instances with the bad gear they initially got. Are they korean grinders too? Also the time STO requires, if you dont overdo it making a lot alts, is far less than any mmo based on theme park system I ever played and I did play a lot

Only games that suddently gave you too good gears that were endgame worthy were game less than a year than their shutting down time and doing that was their last ditch effort to attract more players to return - in a way bribing them

Bottom line mmorpgs make you do things to work for your gears, its not a moba where you pick something and go for the deathmatch

• lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    WoW and Everquest can still get close to max level toons like JH here too, since we mention games, but that gear is just for starting out - you need to replace them slowly with better for end game(heroics, raids etc). Not to mention grinding gears depend a lot on your luck there and how many people in your team need them. Alternate was grind time gated points(limit points gain per week or even per day) per dungeon for weaker forms of the gears you seeked if you were unlucky.JH gear here on the other hand needs upgrading, not necessarily replacing so its even less work and gear doesnt drop by luck or grinding points for 2 months/piece like a lot popular games do, but you either get from fleet holdings, missions or reputations.

Also for the korean grinders commend, need I remind everyone on most korean grinders your gears you grinded or paid for can break upgrading and you had to buy items from their cash shop to lower the chance they will break significantly but not fully?

But the most important thing to say Its different to say a game needs improvement and suggest things you feel can get the game better - that is caring for the game you play, and different to say the game isnt fun. I think the OP self imposes himself to play something that doesnt appeal to him and that is never good for anyone, brings boredom and frustration.

Edit:
    Since we do mention game names, I once done same thing to help my gf having a tank to start with on FF XIV, a game that currently has like over 1.5m subs if I am not wrong. I absolutely disliked that game but I understood it was just not in my taste - it has a fanbase who play it cause they find it fun for them, so I simply stopped playing it despite I had pre-ordered it and had paid 3 months subscription I ended up playing just a month
    bejaymac wrote: »
    Lol, not even in the same universe as those. :D

Us vets tend not to see it as a massive grind purely because we have been here for the long haul, we have gotten the grind in small amounts, given the time to gather the gear and resources when we were level 50, then again at level 60, so the jump to level 65 didn't "bother" most as they had the resources.
    Quite the opposite, the game doesn't give anywhere near enough reason to actually grind for any of the gear, because it isn't needed for anything. All my alts run on freebies, the jem'hadar in particular is still clad mostly in his starter gear, and my main pretty much just gets ground sets for costume unlocks and the occasional space shield with a nice visual.

The supposed jump to level 65 I didn't even notice much less consider spending resources on. Not even on the jemmy geared in his starters.
    This is sort of what that other thread about why does the game "hate new players" was about, Cryptic have fallen into the same "trap" that many other MMO developers have fallen into. They spend that much time coming up with ways to keep thier existing player base in game, while at the same time trying to milk the whales dry, that they forget all about the "new player experience".
    I wish. Instead they spend all their time producing more of the same easy content with more of the same generic rewards, and the only things ever worth spending any of those resources (much less real money) on are the Space Barbie stuff.

And they are not even close to "milk the whales dry." Most of the game is unusually unmonetized by F2P standards.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I am not sure what is going on here....this must be the 3rd or 4th post in the past month or two where someone comes in saying they are frustrated by the game. But not really articulating what it is that is possibly wrong?

And the OP here says he plays other MMOs without an issue? But STO is questionable?

This is the first MMO I ever played. I know it helped a lot having my Fleet Leader explain lots of stuff....uh, after he was able to teach me how to walk through the doors with my character.

(OK, ok....I found out, very recently, he learned a lot from listening to our Armada Leader. And, of course, I love to read. So, I benefited from lots of people, albeit indirectly.)

So, every time someone makes a post like this I am thinking: what is missing in STO?
    How did I end up loving this little "questionable" MMO...and someone else just wants to dump it?

I wonder if the OP gave up and won't be back? And how many people are doing this? And leave not saying anything?

I agree - it is strange how there are certain topics that seem to be raised and cluster together periodically - such as this notion of game complexity. This one comes at the same idea from a slightly different angle than the another more recent thread, but has the same basic complaint.

Irrespective of whatever changes OP and others may or may not want, need, or actually get in game, the current situation with regard to complexity is unlikely to change any time soon. A player cannot absolve himself of some responsibility to learn how to play the game. There are literally thousands of places where the relative merits of equipment, builds, and game mechanics are discussed in granular detail. Likewise, there are thousands of videos on youtube that provide detailed breakdowns, reviews, suggestions, and explanations on game mechanics.

I find it odd that, if OP is so frustrated that he needed to vent on this message board, that he didn't just use a bit of the time he would otherwise be playing the game to watch a few videos to alleviate some of the frustration - and take it upon himself to learn what he needs to learn.

You can learn virtually anything you need to learn on the internet.
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Not entirely clear on what aspect of it disappoints you, but posting here is a good start as there are players who can offer great advice and point you in the right direction if you request help with whatever it is that you're finding difficult.

Not entirely clear on what aspect it may disappoints you ?

First, state of the game at this moment. I wonder if one of the devs actually plays the game from start, while not sleeping ? The amount of bugs in the game is so overwhelming that even the dead wake up from it. From visuals that no longer working as they should (recently all ships, wether Discovery or not have the same warp out sound, but not the visual) to audiofiles misplaced or not correctly (Dominion Mission Second Wave where Garak is talking but you still hear the old Cardassian ambassador through it). Frankly, if you miss these kind of bugs and ain't able to fix them in a correct manner in a descent timeframe, your not at your place as a dev, no matter what excuse you can ditch out. It's in plain sight or ear, but no action or reaction from those who should be aware of it.

Secondary, at this moment, while I am leveling my Discovery alt, my biggest beef is being forced to do TFO's, while my alt isn't leveled enough, before I can continue the story line. Or no longer having the ability to skip a mission in those "side"-storylines, which make your alt getting stuck on a level, without the ability to continue the story. For example, my alt is stuck in this Dominion/Cardassian Front arc due to the Operation Gamma/Flying Blind mission. I hate this, and all other, shuttle missions and where I could skip this prior the Discovery Expansion, I can't skip it coz I can't pick up the next mission to continue. I know it's a storyline, but I don't like it to be forced to do missions that I don't like.

Third, and my biggest gripe: The lack of interest and unwillingness from the devs themselves who can't create in the vast universe of Star Trek a compelling story that capture the interest of all players. Yet, they manage to ditch out each week somekind of story on the this webpage. Instead of wasting their precious time with creating these stories, it would be nice if they would turn those storylines or ideas into real inworld gameplay.

That's my 3 cents on this.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    All of these comments asking for clarity and the OP can't be bothered to do so? Or they can't be bothered to even post again after the OP?

Ah well. I can say this game is hardly frustrating for me when I'm playing it. The great thing about it is that one can play it the way they want to play it. No hard rules about doing quests in some kind of order (for the most part, I know there are some questlines that must be done before others unlock). Or one can just not do quests at all and just piddle around with other stuff.

But frustrating? Not to me. But perhaps if the OP can be bothered to peek in and clarify what's frustrating them, then maybe all these nice people could help them with that.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    OP @pino31 if it comes down to getting some help with the aspects of game play that's causing some frustration you've certainly come to the right place. There are many players here that know just about everything about anything :smile:

It sounds like you've been playing for a while but sometimes without some direction or help things could get frustrating. Just spent 1.5 hours with a returning casual player who's part of the same fleet I'm in. There are a lot of little details that can be passed on to make your game more fun.

I have a few frustrations myself, but those would be off topic for your thread.

• ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    For me, the frustrations with STO can be distilled down to:

1. Character rather than Account based mechanics that encourage frequent re-logging.
    2. Widely dispersed Space and Ground maps, and a sector map that require frequent zone reloads to get anything done.
    3. Slow zone load times.

these things combine to create a discontinuous experience where players are bouncing between accounts, fleets and actually playing the game, and spending time in social hubs, are largely incompatible experiences.

Cryptics? other game "Champions" on the other hand - based on the same engine! - does this far better. Zones are far larger and include an integrated social zone that can be visited without incurring a zone reload. Seasonal events usually take place in the social hub making for an integrated experience where one can socialize AND play at the same time.

The most direct way to address these would be to speed up load times and eliminate unneeded map-transitions - although the basic star trek "ground" and "space" mechanic is going to force a lot of zone loads.

To really boost the basic STO experience we could start by encouraging players to spend most of their time in social hubs. These social hubs can be global areas like spacedock or the academy. Fleet areas, or even the bridges of your own ship shared with fleet mates / friends.

To avoid the beam-to-space - warp-to-sector - timesink - start-mission mechanic we instead reuse the Admiralty mechanism to send ships around the STO universe. For every ship I actually still possess I can use the Admiralty interface to assign it to any available episode/mission + other activities. A short duration later (while the players spends their time in the social interface chatting / crafting / working the exchange) the Admiralty system will indicate the admiralty "episode" mission is complete - Claiming the mission warps my character over to the starting location of the mission, in the ship drawn from my ready ships, for the mission.

When the mission is complete, my character returns to the social hub. Pretty much exactly how the TFO or other queued system works.

This means players can spend 100% of their time playing - either socializing or doing episode or queue content and 0% of their time involved in timesink activities.
    Post edited by ihatepwe735 on
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Mr. Sulu, set course for Starbase 11, Fun Factor 6. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    There's a lot of things in the game that tank fun, and a few that will be very offputting to new players, especially if unprepared for such.

It is far to fast to level in game. If you take the staring position of a L60 Jem'Hadar, for instance, you can see where one should theoretically be by Cryptic's estimation. And fairly well they do, excepting that the JH will be incredibly stunted for the admiralty system.

Compare to starting as another L1 and getting to L60 after 2 dozen episodes. Chances are that you have barely done any R&D, have next to no reputation progress and are likely to have mk10 standard issue gear or mk4 found gear and probably no consoles worth equipping. This can be a difficult rut to get out of, and not enjoyable for a lot of people. The scaling seems random some days or even from replay to replay (read absolute slaughter one time and complete slog the next). The game also makes a lot of things difficult for no reason. I know that we live in the Internet age, but is it really a good idea for potential customers to have to go to third-party websites or youtube to get basic information? I say no.

As it is, you barely have time to realize that a new system exists at your rank-level before you reach the next, or even max out.

There also is very little indication on how things work, and often where examples are given (i.e. ship builds) they are terrible.

I have gotten faster with practice, but it still takes me an hour to manage housekeeping chores with half a dozen alts. I have found lately that after having done this, I am often only playing 1 or 2 TFO or the occasional episode and only on 1 or 2 alts. There really is a need to improve these chore systems to be faster or at least less mindless to get through. The real problem with this is that reputation, admiralty, DoFF, and r&d projects seem to be the primary way to generate resources, and they involve clicking buttons in a near trance rather than playing content.

Then there's all the wonkiness with mission tracking, and other annoyances like mission rewards being tied to level accepted rather than level completed. Also, all the past limited-time mission/event rewards that make some mission branches feel a bit incomplete.

The game is good, I enjoy it and happily throw money at them for everything other than those insipid lock boxes, but let's not fool ourselves and claim that it isn't awkward and unfriendly to newer players after the first week.
  • pino31pino31 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    I'm honestly not sure. I've been trying to think about how to clear up my exact issue with the game. It seems inconsistent so it's difficult. It almost feels like the game is rigged to allow a certain amount of game play before a hidden timer runs out and starts one shot killing you all over the place. I'm almost 40 years old and it feels like mom coming into my room telling me to go to bed. Yup STO makes me feel 10 years old. I tend to get frustrated, quit, come back later, and when played again, the same mission flies by as if it were nothing. I can do two or three more until it seems like I reach the point the theorized timer runs out again and I start getting ganked again and again and again.

I'm perfectly willing to explore my own issues with the game, if that's what it is, if it's maybe a lack of knowledge, bad play style, wrong loadouts, or anything else that could make this my fault. I would love to find the solution to it either way. But based on the inconsistency it's hard to self diagnose the issue.

This inconsistency in difficulty seems to span across all of my characters regardless of how long they've existed or how well developed they are.

I train my captains the best I know how, I think I get the basic, if not a little more than basic, concept of traits, skill points both space and ground, and specialization points. I know how to do some managing of my bridge officers, their abilities, their stats and traits. Some characters have made more progress than others in the reputation/admiralty systems but being stronger in these on one character or weaker on another doesn't seem to effect the inconsistencies. Admiralty and reputation progress is probably the systems in the game I understand the most though.

I want to play is all. I'm not really knocking the game it looks awesome! I'm totally cool with learning if there's a learning curve, but I think I get the basic concepts and should be able to play the episodes on normal difficulty. I'm not even trying to be some over powered god mode freak. I just want to get through the missions, enjoy the stories, and have fun.

I spend my sp when I get them or at the very worst, I'll make sure they're all spent when I'm trying to figure out if it's the game bugging out or if I've missed something because I'm being blown away in one shot suddenly and out of no where. It's at least a couple of years that I keep leaving sto, coming back and leaving again because of this issue. I either assume I just can't get it, which I can't believe, or the game is fubar somehow.

I actually HOPE it's something stupid I've missed, if no one else is noticing this then it must be just me, but I'd feel pretty dumb about it, I"m sure, after this long of trying to play STO if it's something idiotic like a skill tree system I'm missing or something. That'd be really stupid. Or a f2p limitation.
    There is no such timer.
    edited December 2018
    jozen#9312 wrote: »
    There's a lot of things in the game that tank fun, and a few that will be very offputting to new players, especially if unprepared for such.

It is far to fast to level in game. If you take the staring position of a L60 Jem'Hadar, for instance, you can see where one should theoretically be by Cryptic's estimation. And fairly well they do, excepting that the JH will be incredibly stunted for the admiralty system.

Compare to starting as another L1 and getting to L60 after 2 dozen episodes. Chances are that you have barely done any R&D, have next to no reputation progress and are likely to have mk10 standard issue gear or mk4 found gear and probably no consoles worth equipping.

As it is, you barely have time to realize that a new system exists at your rank-level before you reach the next, or even max out.

I preordered the game. I've been in and out since the start. I just haen't played much cause frankly....I reach a point I can't stand it anymore.

I did this with the jem'hadar though. My oldest toon, the very first one I started when the game launched, was playing about like my jem'hadar did when I created him. I noticed that right after the jem'hadar side launched, my original character seemed unable to pass content it was able to before the expansion. It made me wonder how they may have adjusted base stats or some other influence that may have weakened my original character. Or all characters below them. Did the jem'hadar create a new tier of stat ceilings or specialized category of some sort that the rest of the character types don't have? Otherwise, I expect a certain degree of difference between a new character and the one I started when I received the game of course. What I can't understand is how I'll be cruising along passing mission after mission then reaching a new one that won't let me passed the first grouping of baddies. That doesn't make sense. There's no gradual decrease in performance over time to indicate it's bad managing of character stats... just out of one mission to the next is like night and day or hitting a brick wall. Very frustrating.
    Post edited by pino31 on
    edited December 2018
    jozen#9312 wrote: »
    The scaling seems random some days or even from replay to replay (read absolute slaughter one time and complete slog the next).

This sounds like it could possibly be along the lines of what I'm noticing. I'm glad someone else may have caught onto this. Being that you're speaking of replays this could actually indicate a wonkiness in difficulty from one instance of the same mission to the next. At the very least seems very inconsistent.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    No frustration here. :) One of the first games I got good in, Runescape being my first.
    This game is flexible, I know I'll never be a mega DPS goddess, nor do I care to be.

Need help, I can try to help you, dunno if I can or not, but one can try. o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited December 2018
    No frustration here. :) One of the first games I got good in, Runescape being my first.
    This game is flexible, I know I'll never be a mega DPS goddess, nor do I care to be.

Thank you. It just doesn't make sense. Did I miss news of a stats revamp or something? Maybe it's just this particular mission. I was playing "Alliances" in the delta quandrant episodes on a new'ish romulan captain I made when I made this original post here. Since starting this post, I've tried playing the mission my Romulan captain can't beat with my oldest most developed character and he can't get passed the first wave of baddes....the first SINGLE SHIP much less the first wave of baddies, either. This is a mission I completed a long time ago with this character so I know this wasn't happening when I got through the mission with him before.

Something really honestly can't be right about this. While I notice this happen inconsistently between every other few missions completed, this one is showing some consistency at least in it's impossibility to be completed. You're welcome to run it with me but I don't think two of us will be enough. There is a bad balance problem that has shown up between the last time I ran the mission and now. Or I just totally suck and 8 years of even light playing means nothing to stats or progression which I just cannot believe since I've ran multiple characters through this mission during their progression in the past just fine
    pino31 wrote: »

Thank you. It just doesn't make sense. Did I miss news of a stats revamp or something? Maybe it's just this particular mission. I was playing "Alliances" in the delta quandrant episodes on a new'ish romulan captain I made when I made this original post here. Since starting this post, I've tried playing the mission my Romulan captain can't beat with my oldest most developed character and he can't get passed the first wave of baddes....the first SINGLE SHIP much less the first wave of baddies, either. This is a mission I completed a long time ago with this character so I know this wasn't happening when I got through the mission with him before.

Something really honestly can't be right about this. While I notice this happen inconsistently between every other few missions completed, this one is showing some consistency at least in it's impossibility to be completed. You're welcome to run it with me but I don't think two of us will be enough. There is a bad balance problem that has shown up between the last time I ran the mission and now. Or I just totally suck and 8 years of even light playing means nothing to stats or progression which I just cannot believe since I've ran multiple characters through this mission during their progression in the past just fine.

edited December 2018
    GD it I was trying to edit not DOUBLE POST. Sorry.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could delete your own posts on this forum?????? WTF
This discussion has been closed.