test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

a reason for crashes?

lately I have been getting more and more frequent crashes.... I can just be sitting idle, chatting with other players and sto will suddenly crash.

I decided to poke around the game files today to see if I could spot what was the reason. I spotted a file called "ERRORS_2018-11-23_00-00-00.txt. each time STO had crashed, it had produced a file that included the time and date into the file name. I started looking through the files, and each on had the same error in it.

181123 00:06:01 12 [1]: ERROR: (Warning) MemTrack: Active thread count more than individually trackable (9), using shared slot. (Active 51 Created 58)

each file had the same thing, but the only difference was a slightly different number in the created section.

I have checked my system memory recently , and it is as good as the day I first got it. so my system is not the cause. Is anyone else seeing this in there error files?

anybody have any further information on what this error means?
Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...

Comments

• generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    i actually don't even get that "this program has crashed" message. My crashes are always CTD's (Crash to desktop) followed by the running of the cryptic error reporter. most of the time even that doesn't even work because it wants to ipload a really large dump, and because I only have a 6mbps connection, the connection with the error server eventually gets dropped and the dump upload fails mid upload.

I can try looking in my event viewer to see if anything is posted when STO crashes, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • I looked in my event viewer, under administrative events, and also windows logs>application and the only thing remotely related to gaming was the persistent message from steam about failing to add a firewall exception for C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\bin\cef\cef.win7x64\steamwebhelper.exe.

but that shouldn't even affect STO in the slightest.

this whole crashing thing is annoying..... I was using the 32-bit client, because it was more stable, but then a issue that some others are having as well with the 32-bit client appeared, so I switched to the 64-bit client, which works, but is crash prone.
  • i just wish that when STO crashes to desktop and the error reported gets triggered, information about what went wrong was displayed even if it was not easily understandable by the common person.

maybe if the devs were to introduce error codes and publish an error code list that would be helpful..... but as we all know the dev's seem to enjoy being..... cryptic.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    The game stores crash logs in the game directory, easily accessed and read with any text viewer.
    Normally, there will also be a log found in the Windows event viewer in the Windowslogs/System section with the same time stamp. With these logs and a web search, the reason for the crashes can usually be figured out.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • well, that maybe how it is supposed to work ideally, but it is not in this case. windows is not picking up on the STO crashes. I have noticed recently, after STO does a CTD, when I want to start the game again, it wants to do a verify operation, and if I try and cancel the verify, the game will actually start, but will then stop responding requiring me to manually close the game. that does cause a event in the event viewer, but the listed event is very non descriptive. saying only that the program stopped responding and needed to be closed. if i let the verify operation complete (which takes forever) no files are re-downloaded, but the game then runs as it normally does (CTD crashes included). If only the 32-bit client would get fixed. the only thing that occurs after the verification process, is the usual mirroring of some files, followed by connecting to the login server, followed by the launch of the client

heres what happens when I try and play STO with out letting the verify operation complete:

The program GameClient.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
    Process ID: 2518
    Start Time: 01d48457b3e976bb
    Termination Time: 248
    Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\x64\GameClient.exe
    Report Id:

• I don't mind the game wanting to verify it's files, but I wish there was a faster way to do it.
  • generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    looked at the binary data for the error above.... the data, in bytes, spells out U.k.n.o.w.n.....

┻━┻︵ \(°□°)/
    ︵ ┻━┻

• arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    looked at the binary data for the error above.... the data, in bytes, spells out U.k.n.o.w.n.....

┻━┻︵ \(°□°)/
    ︵ ┻━┻

LMAO

The only times that I remember ever having the game crash without a corresponding Windows event log was the CTDs when using the 64 bit client when it first came out, switching to 32 bit fixed that and I haven't ever tried using 64bit since then.
    BTW, other than the D3D errors I used to get due to the game trying to use my on chip graphics instead of the add on card, almost all of my game crashes and/or freezes have ended up being to due network/Dcom errors due to Windows suddenly deciding a particular network/Dcom function needed to be denied " Local Activation permission for the COM Server application ..."
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • i prefer using the 32 bit client as well, as it seems less crash prone. but recently a problem cropped up where the interface would start having serious lag issues where only the mouse cursor would be working normally. the toon selection menu was inaccessible, and the issue continued when I got ingame. when ever i try to access a menu that changed the screen mode, like the tailor or shipyard the lag would re assert it self. same with the cstore. but flying around, and doing pve and so on would not trigger the interface lag. it appeared to be an issue only with the 32-bit client, so i switched over to the 64-bit one.

I will look at my logs too see if i have any dcom errors and report back. usually if it is a network issue for me it because of one of two reasons; 1. cryptic is having server issues (because of a ddos, or server outage), or 2. someone else came onto my home network and is using up all 6Mbps of the internet bandwidth. (like someone telling there Ipad to update software or trying to stream hulu or netflix on the TV.)

I will also try the 32-bit client again, but since the issue i described above just started with the release of the new season, it probably has not been fixed yet. It was not fixed yet as of a patch or two ago.
  • just checked the windows logs>system and the windows logs>applications as well as the administrative events logs. no entries for dcom were present. the system logs were just a bunch of informational events, no errors or warnings logged. (I found this fact amazing, as I am used to seeing a bunch of warning and error there.)

this might be because I am using windows 7 still and not windows 10. I know from experience that a lot of (usually) non-fatal error get logged in the event viewer on windows 10.