test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Battle at the Binary Stars - A bit underwhelming.

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    As for the mission itself, yeah, it really is just a pew pew mission that really didn't need to be.
    did you actually read the mission objectives?
    Phase 1: keep the NPCs from dying
    Phase 2: interact with escape pods.
    Phase3: shoot Klingons.
    Let's see:
    Briefing 1:00
    Wait 2:00
    Wait another 2:00
    Status update 0:20
    Wait 4:00
    Cutscene
    Wait 4:20
    You win

Except those last two wait can be cut down to like 1 min if you have a good team...so you can be done in 7 min or so if you don't have an utterly useless group. Or you can AFK for ~15 min. The optimal method of course if to AFK 5 min and than mop up everything in 2 min at the end if you don't care about things like playing the game,
    Hmm, what are the conditions for that? Never seen it skip the timer myself.

Although in any case good teams are rare to find in event pugs.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    As for the mission itself, yeah, it really is just a pew pew mission that really didn't need to be.
    Let's see:
    Cutscene
    You win

Except those last two wait can be cut down to like 1 min if you have a good team...so you can be done in 7 min or so if you don't have an utterly useless group. Or you can AFK for ~15 min. The optimal method of course if to AFK 5 min and than mop up everything in 2 min at the end if you don't care about things like playing the game,

Yeah, if you rescue the 80 pods and defeat the 60 ships, it skips the remaining timer. Which is why overall, I kinda like this new mission design. Kinda wish they had that mechanic for the first two defend part...but really it's a giant damn good move in mission design. The main reason I don't like to play this mission however is the unskippable cut scene, the terrible klingon voice overs and most importantly I can't use my damn smexy ship. Yeah yeah the stats are there...but I didn't pick my ship for the GD stats...I picked it because it looked cool.

I hope they adapt that mechanic to the Mirror Invasion the next time it comes around. Would be nice to jump directly to the last stage once all the base upgrades are up and running.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    Let's see:
    Cutscene
    You win

Yeah, if you rescue the 80 pods and defeat the 60 ships, it skips the remaining timer. Which is why overall, I kinda like this new mission design. Kinda wish they had that mechanic for the first two defend part...but really it's a giant damn good move in mission design.
    Agreed. I'll have to look into it myself.
    The main reason I don't like to play this mission however is the unskippable cut scene, the terrible klingon voice overs and most importantly I can't use my damn smexy ship. Yeah yeah the stats are there...but I didn't pick my ship for the GD stats...I picked it because it looked cool.
    Yeah and that cutscene is so lame and slow, too.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, if you rescue the 80 pods and defeat the 60 ships, it skips the remaining timer. Which is why overall, I kinda like this new mission design. Kinda wish they had that mechanic for the first two defend part...but really it's a giant damn good move in mission design.
    Surprisingly subtle too. It just skips to the cutscene or ending monologue with no fanfare at all. I actually didn't notice the first few times it happened.
    The main reason I don't like to play this mission however is the unskippable cut scene, the terrible klingon voice overs and most importantly I can't use my damn smexy ship. Yeah yeah the stats are there...but I didn't pick my ship for the GD stats...I picked it because it looked cool.
    You can still customize the look of your holo-avatar. :p So many shield visual options. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yeah the ability to advance the mission by doing better is probably the best design change for PVE missions all dammed year, it;s that good a change.
    I honestly hope they alter MI to have such a mechanic, although i do enjoy the massive amount of pew-pew in that mission.

Skipable cut-scenes would be the next good change, but i guess we'd just end up on a timer waiting for he time the cut-scene takes to expire.
    SulMatuul.png
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Getting skippable cutscenes might be something of a pipedream given that some muppet thought the one in the downfall mission shouldn't be skipped and got it patched.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I think the more complex cutscenes in TFO's are fundamentally unskippable given that the actors have to be placed somewhere, and the scene is global for all players and never individual.
    The few of them that are skippable tend to just be camera pans and voice once the main assets have spawned into the map.
    You can actually see this very clearly during the Mirror Invasion event, as if you skip the cutscene the ships and what not portrayed in the cutscene are moving around, but cannot be targeted.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    Skipping cutscenes in queues is of no use, because you still have to wait until it's over before the mission will continue anyway.
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    The more I have to sit through the audio clips the more tkuvma goes from angry black dude to tinpot african dictator with a mouthful of marbles.

Yeah, I honestly cannot believe a performance like this was deemed acceptable in this day and age. It's tacky as heck
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    The more I have to sit through the audio clips the more tkuvma goes from angry black dude to tinpot african dictator with a mouthful of marbles.

Yeah, I honestly cannot believe a performance like this was deemed acceptable in this day and age. It's tacky as heck

Not wanting to be "snarky" but I do think it would have been better with a more talented "dramatic" actor - Let's be honest, can anyone do better with "there are four lights!" than PS? - And although the dialogue might work a bit better with visuals + dramatic background music, the fact that you can even see the actors struggling to speak with those ridiculous prosthetics, let alone listen to them, is, i agree, dreadful in this day and age of TV/Cinema special effects.

That said, the TFO itself is kinda fun, it's pretty much just another pew, pew alone the lines of DoSB1 and Swarm. For me it's worth it just for the Marks and Dil, plus the (almost) guaranteed 70+ marks for each run with, at present, no cooldown) not including the daily bonus of course)

An "advanced" version might have been nice to give you the daily "doodad" for each rep, but I guess we'll just have to use the rep project to craft those.

Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I like the implementations in it, and the fact that the performance of the group actually has an effect on the time gates, which is something that has been asked for quite abit with strict time gates like the mirror event que as an example. Might be that the reason they had just a normal difficulty is to see how such a change would be retrieved without investing too much like the additional investment to make a advanced an elite difficulty when such a addition could be made later if it is received well.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    The more I play it the more I dislike the Klingon redesign and the look of their ships. Its practically a different race and its hard to accept the change after 30 odd years of seeing Klingons and their ships portrayed as they were from 1979 until 2005 in theatres and on t.v
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2018
    The more I play it the more I dislike the Klingon redesign and the look of their ships. Its practically a different race and its hard to accept the change after 30 odd years of seeing Klingons and their ships portrayed as they were from 1979 until 2005 in theatres and on t.v

That's because they use the same D7 an all 5 previous shows and three other designs. And, hell, they're back to using the same D7 next series in DSC.
    How stupid of the DSC S1 producers to think some variety was needed. After all every battleship or aeroplane we've ever built looks identical and we do only have 8 or so different planes across centuries.

Edit: sorry, ENT did introduce some more designs. Ones that were similarly derided as looking 'too Romulan' because the D7 and Negh'Var certainly don't look like big green birds at all.

Basically, if you can accept the Fokker Dr.I, Short SC.7, Vought V-173, and Eurofighter Typhoon were all built by the same species (three of those were built by the same country) within one century of each other, then you should be able to accept that a multi-world spanning, many millennia old Star Empire across multiple centuries would have more than the D7.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    I've been running the event with a new 'toon, currently leveling up toward 50 from 40. As soon as I get my current ship mastered out, I'm hoping that the new loadout will follow me into the event; up to now, it's been kind of strange to have the same KDF loadout in the same FED ship every time I run the mission. It would be more entertaining is we got a different ship now and then, with a different loadout, but I get that some players already have enough to cope with. The "pause program" intermission is a bit annoying as well, especially knowing that I have to look forward to it at least another 10 times... :/
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    Nothing changes whatsoever in your ship loadout or specs, the ship skin you see is purely cosmetic - it's imply a "hologhraphic" skin over the top of your own ship, so if you don't like the loadout, it's your own fault.

Also the ship skin you get is random, so you may get the same skin 3 times, then three different skins after that. I have been all the various ships so far, yet I'm always using the same ship on the same toon.

The initial pause is approx 1 minute, and the "intermission" pause is about 15secs, plus about 10 secs for the cutscene, so all up around one and a half minutes ... Yep, Crytpic should be ashamed of themselves for putting people through such horrific delays. /sarcasm
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • I played it and Ethan Burgess didn't show up. I guess Ethan Burger didn't want to talk to a traitor like me :P
    I am taking a knee on Star Trek Online till they fix the bugs!
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Well for me it’s the pauses that and the cringe worthy voice. I like discovery I have the 2 c store ships for it and a dis toon level 65. So no issue with discovery in general it’s ok but that pause kills it for me.
    To be or not to be: B)
    Yes...but was the short SC 7 called the Vought V-173 while looking nothing like the Vought? Because remember that these ships aren't called something new and different...well some of them are...but the D7 and BoP shown in the show looks NOTHING like what we see in such a short span. If they called those ships something else...maybe...but even than it does not follow internal consistency of the built universe where those multi star system aliens seems to have very unified asethetics to their ships.

Bird of Prey is not a class its a type. Like cruiser. Remember there's Romulan ships also called BoP. So the ones in DSC are not intended to be the TNG ones just because they're ships of the same type. The common TNG BoP is a D12 Class to the Federation.
    This is a very original and stupid criticism just when I'd thought I'd heard all the criticisms of DSC that could be dismissed with a seconds thought.

The D7 is a term used for the Sech Class, it's also used for the K't'inga Class. Same as how D5 refers to the TAS D5 class and the ENT era battlecruiser and the ENT era tanker. It's not a class name either unless you think the helicopter sized BoP in ID (D4) is somehow a previous development of the battlecruiser from TOS (D7).
    but even than it does not follow internal consistency of the built universe where those multi star system aliens seems to have very unified aesthetics to their ships.

And that's a good thing because it's a very unrealistic idea solely brought about by lack of budget.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    Already have run into AFKers. Grabbed 65 pods all by myself. All 40, then went over and grabbed 25 more.
    artan42 wrote: »
    Yes...but was the short SC 7 called the Vought V-173 while looking nothing like the Vought? Because remember that these ships aren't called something new and different...well some of them are...but the D7 and BoP shown in the show looks NOTHING like what we see in such a short span. If they called those ships something else...maybe...but even than it does not follow internal consistency of the built universe where those multi star system aliens seems to have very unified asethetics to their ships.

Bird of Prey is not a class its a type. Like cruiser. Remember there's Romulan ships also called BoP. So the ones in DSC are not intended to be the TNG ones just because they're ships of the same type. The common TNG BoP is a D12 Class to the Federation.
    This is a very original and stupid criticism just when I'd thought I'd heard all the criticisms of DSC that could be dismissed with a seconds thought.

The D7 is a term used for the Sech Class, it's also used for the K't'inga Class. Same as how D5 refers to the TAS D5 class and the ENT era battlecruiser and the ENT era tanker. It's not a class name either unless you think the helicopter sized BoP in ID (D4) is somehow a previous development of the battlecruiser from TOS (D7).
    but even than it does not follow internal consistency of the built universe where those multi star system aliens seems to have very unified aesthetics to their ships.

And that's a good thing because it's a very unrealistic idea solely brought about by lack of budget.​​

1) KT is alternate universe setting so they can do whatever they want and it does not affect what gets developed in prime timeline. So yeah, even JJ trek managed to mess this up less.

2) So the Klingon D7 CLASS of ships wasn't a class...okay...sure. And neither was the D5 CLASS...okay...sure. Yeah that is utter nonsense. And okay I will accept the BoP being a type of ship. That is a valid argument there. As for D5 changing looks quite a bit...yeah i'm not saying that essteedee is the only series to be bad about this. But just because something was bad before doesn't mean it is good NOW. And your talking like ENT was actually a GOOD trek series or something. Oh no, at best, essteedee did something that second worst trek series has done...and that is somehow excusable how?

3) You don't think having a new plane for the navy be made while the F22 is still in service and call it the F22 is a bit of nonsensical thing to do...at all?

4) While having more varied ships for all factions would indeed be more realistic...it is not how they created the universe. Yes that was due to budgets...but when world building, you need to keep whatever internal rules you set for the world...or you might as well just make up your own. Those internal rules of the world is what makes a world created that world. If you are not gonna follow it, it is no longer that world. D&D has a set of rules. One of them is the Vancian magic system they have used since it's inception. When 4th ed decided to do away it that, guess what, people went this isn't D&D and left. Enough so that Paizo...a company that was making modules for them was able to make a system that outsold 4th ed. You need to follow the rules of the world you create. Even if they are not realistic. Because part of the rules you are making is to explain the unrealistic as plausible.

The KT diverges after 2233 and there's nothing to indicate the D4 was made after the divergence.

As you well know the D designations are not the Klingon ones. The TOS D7 is a K't'inga Class and the DSC one is a Sech Class. The Klingons do not have two different D7s in service. They have a Sech Class and a K't'inga Class that the Federation refer to as D7s for whatever reason.

ENT was good Trek. Only VGR isn't because it's nothing but derivative with no original ideas.

There is no rule that says Klingons are limited to the same 8 ships. The fact that new ones were introduced in ENT and DSC proves this. The implausibility is with TOS-VGR not with ENT or DSC here. Unless you can find some in universe explanation for the same 4 models keep showing up feel free to provide it. As you can't you'll just have to accept the only rules being made are the imaginary ones in your head.

#TASforSTO

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Enterprise was one of the best Star Trek series. I don't know what people are talking about. Quite a bit of what goes on in this game is due to that series. My wife and I just got over about a three week stint of watching the entire series on Netflix.

As far as the change in ship VISUALS I have spent hundreds of hours and hired a prestigious NYC design firm for over $50,000 to ensure that I have a ship that looks the best and is the way that pleases me to no end. I just deplore what they do to it for ten minutes a day. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    2) So the Klingon D7 CLASS of ships wasn't a class...okay...sure. And neither was the D5 CLASS...okay...sure. Yeah that is utter nonsense. And okay I will accept the BoP being a type of ship. That is a valid argument there. As for D5 changing looks quite a bit...yeah i'm not saying that TRIBBLE is the only series to be bad about this. But just because something was bad before doesn't mean it is good NOW. And your talking like ENT was actually a GOOD trek series or something. Oh no, at best, TRIBBLE did something that second worst trek series has done...and that is somehow excusable how?
    Unlike RW military organizations, Starfleet is exceptionally unimaginative when it comes to making up names for things that don't actually have names.

For a real-world example that doesn't suck:
    Russian_Bear_%27H%27_Aircraft_MOD_45158140.jpg
    Here we have the Russian Tu-95. It's NATO reporting name? "Bear". do the Russians call it that? maybe, sometimes, but "Bear" isn't the Russian name for the aircraft type. How does this relate to Star Trek? Well, D5 and D7 aren't Klingon names for ship classes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    patrickngo wrote: »
    so how does the Starfleet naming system work?
    I don't think the writers ever thought that out. BUT, it's not something new to Discovery, so hating on Discovery for it is a waste of time.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    Already have run into AFKers. Grabbed 65 pods all by myself. All 40, then went over and grabbed 25 more.

I like the escape pod part of the mission. Killing Klingons gets ya nowhere during that part, anyways.
    Grabbing the escape pods seems to be the only thing giving out points!

I can not figure out the first part of the mission.
    What am I supposed to do with the U.S.S. Shenzhou...what is that ship doing, anyways?

I know the last part is kill 60 Klingon ships.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
This discussion has been closed.