test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Age of Discovery Feedback

andromeda981andromeda981 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
I'm leaving this here, largely because I'm not sure where in the Feedback forums this fits. But this is my general "conclusion" in regards to AoD after playing it for a few hours.

Tutorial Mission:
...yeah I couldn't really decide where to start on this. It is just a recycled Federation tutorial. I had hoped when this expansion was announced that it would get the same treatment as AoY in regards to length and a unique introduction. Unfortunately we don't. All you did was take Starfleet Academy, swap some models and textures. Give the NPC's new uniforms, add a new skybox and then re-record all the lines with a few changed words here and there. It dosn't just play out with a lazy tone, it feels it. And that is quite sad because the expansion feels like it deserved more than that when you finish at arrive at Corvan II.

Corvan II:
A Good mission. And a good introduction to the colony from the show. Even if it did feel a little unfeasible that Tilly, a cadet, came up with turning a force field emitter, designed to span a few meters, into a shield emitter that would cover dozens of meters?
It played out nicely. Even if again it fell pray to recycled gameplay from Vega Colony for the Federation 25th century tutorial.

The "2" Missions:
You keep referring to AoD as having 3 Missions. Which makes it sound like it has more content than it really does. When it doesn't. It just has a recycled tutorial and 2 missions an a TFO Mission of the 2nd mission. But at least those two missions are actually pretty good, reasonably good at least.

SPOILER ALERT - I don't know how to add a Spoiler tag. I'm sorry for any spoilers you may find.

The ending of the final mission opens you up to more missions. But during gameplay it feels rushed. And almost like the team went "Just hurry up and get them to 2410 so we can wrap this up". It felt out of place, like it was meant to have a few more missions between itself and the one prior to it.

Going out in a blaze of glory felt like a recycled ending to AoY. Down to the very Welcome to 2410 you get when Daniels is done blurting out how you'll need to keep watch for J'ula. And then thats it. End of Expansion.

As great as AoD is, it feels like a Part 1 that ended on a cliffhanger. I'd of rather waited till October 20th if it meant 4 Missions instead of 2.

Final Notes:-
New Warp Animations are simply amazing.

I love the tie in with DSC's Computer Voice. But I would of liked to see more of it rather than the awkward Vulcan voice used by Stock STO that appears at random places and sort of draws you out of the mood.

DSC Uniform shades are slightly off to the Show. In STO they appear almost stone washed/bleached in that they're a tad pale compared to a deeper Prussian blue in DSC, referred in universe as Federation blue. I'd also like to see the Short sleaved Jumpsuit variant at some point, mostly cause it looked kinda neat and added variety. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/8/83/Federation_blue.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180907082411&path-prefix=en

Due to how AoD plays out I noticed that I'd have to grind a fair bit if I wanted to leave 2256 with level appropriate gear. Rather than being at a disadvantage when I arrive at 2410. This is because there aren't many missions to play in this time period compared to AoY.

Bridge Interiors... Only the bridge? We see other rooms in this expansion but we personally only get to use the bridge on our ships. No ready room, no crew deck, no engineering deck. This locks out a lot of uses of those spaces. (which isn't terrible as you can just use game menus for them but it would of been nice to explore the ship yourself)

Thats all I have to say so far. I'm still playing AoD. Replaying missions, made a new character to check out more the AoD maps.

Comments

• lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Speaking as a KDF player the new missions made no sense to me. They seem to assume I've played an earlier mission, perhaps one that AoD characters have already done. To cap it all off, the briefings for both of the available missions are identical and the same applies to the debriefings too.
    New Warp Animations are simply amazing.

For you perhaps. They replaced the sound effects for KDF too, but didn't change the visuals. I suspect this was only meant for AoD characters in the first place.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • andromeda981andromeda981 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Both I'm going to assume are bugs.
    The warp animation is a racial one like TOS Characters, Fed, Dom, KDF and Romulans having their own style/colour etc.

The former, the "Historical Simulation" as they've made it for pre-existing characters seems like they just didn't bother or think to word it appropriately for each type of character.

e.g.

"Sub-Commander, we're pleased to say we've been granted access by Starfleet to a couple of historical simulations from the Klingon-Federation War of 2256."

"Warrior, to maintain battle readiness I am authorising the use of historical simulations from our war with the Federation in the mid-23rd century."

etc etc.

Though for a KDF player to me it would of made more sense for these missions to be done from the point of view of the Klingons? And I assumed that's how it was going to be. I never play KDF, I have a character but I'll admit I got bored with how underdeveloped the faction felt to me.

I would of even assumed for KDF players they did a simulation of the Battle of Binary Stars as a TFO for KDF players to give the KDF more content.
  • christopherhillchristopherhill Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I was loving every moment (with gritted teeth in the tutorial, but still enjoyed it - it fitted the AoD moreso than the 2409 character).

Then I finished the AoD missions and.... yeah... once again, we are pushed into the 25th Century permanently.

Now my character has all the wrong audio and visuals which don't fit the 25th Century. I'm a stickler for immersion - what's the point in all that DISCO content when now I have to 'blend in' with the era anyway. This is one of the main reasons that I just cannot stick to a AoY toon, and I can see me just deleting my AoD character depending on what kind of updates we get in the future.
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    I wasn't loving every minute of the Discovery missions, the Tutorial was OK, just a re-fleshed 25th century tutorial with a couple of small changes. What dismayed me was the 2 following missions. You go out into the wide universe and encounter, Allies who couldn't find their own backside even with the aid of both hands, a map, a mirror and a Class IX Long Range MultiMission Warp Probe! And Enemies that only win because the plot says so. You managed to make Discovery Star Fleet even less competent than 25th Century Star Fleet. That does take some effort though, so I guess you can be proud of their incompetence.

Every time I met J'ula I was Kicking TRIBBLE firmly Prodding Buttock until a cutscene took my victory away from me. Finaly I got into ship to ship combat with her. I was winning, her ship was down to less than %40 hull capacity, then the cut scene hit me. I lost control of my character, was trapped by a tractor beam and we lost the battle as she activated her Super Weapon!

Besides being very bad story telling. You shouldn't do anything that takes Agency away from the Player! I play games to progress the story with my actions, I DON'T want to be a bystander in my own story. That's what this is supposed to be by the way, MY story.

In the Age of Yesterday final mission at the big battle we have something similar, we're again Prodding Buttock when the cutscene kicks in, we get caught in a tractor beam, but then we get to disable the tractor beam on the Klingon ship and then proceed to fight a rearguard action for the other Federation Ships, The cutscene progresses the story but the player still has Agency, is still in control of their actions. Age Of Discovery seems intent to rob players of their Agency. Please don't do that!

I'm here to play a game not watch a movie, I want to interact with objects, I want to see things blow up because I've shot at them and most importantly of all, I want to feel like my actions have an impact on the story!
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Generally spoilers don't bother me and I have to admit that reading the comments here is somewhat disheartening as a console player. I have no reason to doubt these descriptions, which are not too shabby or spoilery in my estimation.

It sounds as if working on both Victory is Life and Age of Discovery simultaneously may have taxed the creative resources of Cryptic much more than usual when considering how closely each of these otherwise major content additions sort of fell over one another on their way into Star Trek Online?

Out of everything said here, and given that AoD is planned as an extended rollout, it is unfortunate that our Discovery toons had to be shoehorned so swiftly into 2410, when they should probably have just been left in their own starting timeline for a bit longer?

Cryptic does have access to the Guardian of Forever, maybe that could eventually been proven a doorway into the future for an AoD captain?
  • andromeda981andromeda981 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I hope we can use the Guardian to go back. But the recent post about Temporally Displaced Agents makes it out otherwise or rather as something they'll consider in the future. It's just... so god damn lazy to hype up this expansion but then only give us a redressed tutorial, 2 episodes, a fairly bland TFO and then throw us into 2409 with Daniels for the 1000th time. At least AoY had a full and unique tutorial and full set of missions. It felt like a story, you felt connected to that era.
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Welcome to Age of Demanded CBS Content.

As I've noted on game and elsewhere, the 'stepping down' of an executive producer on the same day this bull**** was announced was a glaring statement to what happened in the inner workings. Someone resisted, CBS said "you will do it or lose license", and the one resisting was booted out on his rear end.

Oh, and if its so 'classified' that my 25th century fleet admiral can't know, well, time to scuttle it all, because no one with proper clearance is coming. Ever.

To me at least, that makes it utterly fail as a simulation.​​
    Post edited by tasshena on
  • christopherhillchristopherhill Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    tasshena wrote: »
    Welcome to Age of Demanded CBS Content.

As I've noted on game and elsewhere, the 'stepping down' of an executive producer on the same day this bull**** was announced was a glaring statement to what happened in the inner workings. Someone resisted, CBS said "you will do it or lose license", and the one resisting was booted out on his ****.

Oh, and if its so 'classified' that my 25th century fleet admiral can't know, well, time to scuttle it all, because no one with proper clearance is coming. Ever.

To me at least, that makes it utterly fail as a simulation.​​

Once you see it, you can't un-see it. Sadly, you're absolutely right. CBS has definitely plunged at the brain of Star Trek Online (the exec producer), replaced it with CBS nano-probes and has forcibly assimilated the team. So to speak.

The heart of Star Trek Online lies with us fans, and that, let's face it, won't be assimilated by crappy expansions like this.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    It was never advertised as a expansion. Don't know why people keep saying that like it was suppose to be huge pack of content with ship packs. VIL was the expansion. This is a season add-on....
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    To me this expansion or season or whatever you want to call it makes little sense.

It is literally a Discovery-flavored reboot of AOY with less content. And fewer ships. Literally TWO player ships. The iconic Crossfield is a lottery ship in an out-of-production lockbox. Why are we still getting Swarm lockboxes in a new season? Should we be getting something Discovery-themed some way some how?

Two episodes, one of which ran on rails and AOY'd me into the 25th century doesn't count as an expansion OR a season. Slight dialog changes and rewrites of existing 25th century episodes do no not count count as a season. Changing up episode progression and inserting mandatory STFs every few missions is not what I came here for.

We literally have Age Of Discovery without the Discovery and it is not aging very well at all. Too short, ZERO reason to actually roll a toon or play through.

What was the point of this? Where is the content?
    You have to understand that they litterally only had a month to roll this out. There is going to be ongoing updates to it. You can't expect them to throw out ship packs on the whim. They wanted to sync with the TV show instead of waiting 1-2 years to put out VIL/Romulus expansion. Be patient.
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • bellydancer42bellydancer42 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    themarie wrote: »
    Literally TWO player ships.

If there were at least two... in the support forum a dev said that the Walker only claimable in the 25th century is working as intended. I don't understand the logic behind that, but that's how it is. Luckily I was able to claim mine before they "fixed" that.

• burstangel117burstangel117 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I believe that the Crossfield should be a little easier to obtain as far as the lottery ship I think the Charon should take the place of the Crossfield class in the lockbox and the Crossfield class should be made available by different means of the c store. the Charon was devastatingly powerful and ran on a giant mycylial reactor the thing could carpet bomb an entire planet I think that would be a neat lotto ship
    Think most federation ships can carpet bomb a planet without the need of the Charon. Fantastic scene though. Ugly ship... If you can call it a ship. More like a U shaped mobile station.
  • burstangel117burstangel117 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    This may be true however the point is that some people don’t have the funding to keep buying lockbox keys in the c store and I think the overall design of the Charon was to make it intimidating and not to mention it contained the imperial palace
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    > @christopherhill said:
    >
    > Once you see it, you can't un-see it. Sadly, you're absolutely right. CBS has definitely plunged at the brain of Star Trek Online (the exec producer), replaced it with CBS nano-probes and has forcibly assimilated the team. So to speak.
    >
    > The heart of Star Trek Online lies with us fans, and that, let's face it, won't be assimilated by crappy expansions like this.

Well thank goodness I haven’t played it and don’t intend to. One less thing I can’t unsee.
  • napolean86#9425 napolean86 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    First things first. I hate Discovery. It betrays everything Star Trek stands for. (And purple, hairless Klingons.... really?) Now that I got that out of my system, I must agree with most people's sentiments regarding the tutorial missions. Just the 23rd and 25th century Federation tutorials mashed together and given a new paint job. And don't get me started on the DIS ships. They all look the same. same ugly hull color, same flat ship profiles..... not a single secondary hull on any of them........ they look like flying pancakes. The only upside to this expansion is that I didn't have to see anyone from Discovery. But this expansion was so bad that I deleted my DIS character after just one day.

And get rid of those Task Forces Missions from the episode lists!!!! They don't need to be there!!!! "More streamlined" my foot!!!!!!!!!
    :
    Terrible expansion from a terrible series, and an even more broken PvP/PvE system than before. THIS....... better be rock bottom.

Bring out a TOS expansion plz. you know.......REAL Star Trek!!!

PS: That Andorian captain looks like he got stung by a hundred bees. change it back.......
  • dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    I am going to play Q's advocate briefly on this season,
    The rehashed tutorial was decent, the DSC ship bridge interior looked clean, even the cutscenes were visually good in comparison to some older ones. Even a mild chuckle with the Tardigrade in the corridor leading to the shuttle / cargo bay.
    Random TFO actually makes it interesting as you never know what you are going to get, and you get a little something extra for doing it.
    Now, I agree, it felt rushed. 2 episodes, Daniels transports you to the 25th century, Defense of Starbase 1 TFO, then grind again from the beginning. And the bugs, oh, the bugs:
    1. Equipment and ability issues
    2. Sound issues
    3. TFO enemies not spawning issues
    4. Storyline mission issues
    5. Network / lag issues (continued)
    In closing, this has been the most anti-climatic season thus far coming from this player's point of view.

• napolean86#9425 napolean86 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Another thing, my missions are messed up, and some missions are gone completely.... what the heck?!?...... my completion rates are all over the place now when they were 100% just two weeks ago. You even took out the whole first Dominion arc. How is this a more "streamlined experience"?

AND GET RID OF THOSE @#$% TASK FORCE OPERATIONS!!!!!!

I can never get never get past those missions, because everyone is doing the random PVE's (Thank you so much for that by the way) instead of the specific PvE's I need to complete to get to the next mission.

Stop messing with PVE's and PVP's already, and change it back to what we had three months ago. And give us back the "Specters" & "Lost 2800" arc, those stories were just fine without your "improvments".

Did you people do ANY feedback testing before you rolled this out?, or did you just think, "It's a Discovery update, they'll accept any changes we make to missions and PvE/PvP's wiether they like it or not".
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Did you people do ANY feedback testing before you rolled this out?, or did you just think, "It's a Discovery update, they'll accept any changes we make to missions and PvE/PvP's wiether they like it or not".

Nope. Time and again they ignore all feedback from Tribble server and post bugs to Holodeck. The PS4 and Xbox players should thank PC players for being their guinea pigs. (Wow, misspelled 'guinea' so bad, autocorrect didnt even know what word I was trying to use! Had to use Google :s )

I would like to assume they are given a release date they cannot postpone by CBS or PWE and are forced to fix bugs on the live server. But probably just incompetence or not caring about looking professional.