test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Idea: More Historical Reenactment TFOs in the Future?

andorianblueandorianblue Member Posts: 88 Arc User
With the Battle of the Binary Stars being made into a TFO event, is anyone else interested in seeing more famous battles from shows/movies being made into TFOs? I think it'd be cool to play Wolf 359, or the Battle of Sector 001, or the Invasion of Cardassia in STO.

Have player's ships be camouflaged into an era appropriate ship, just like in Binary. This could also be a good excuse to put more canon ships into the game, or revamp some older ones that have been needing.

Obviously this wouldn't happen for a while since Age of Discovery is going to be the focus for at least the next several months, but it's an idea I felt was worth putting out there.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Wolf 359 would be a little difficult due to the fact the opposing forces only having a single ship.
    They'd probably have to make an Uber Cube for it. But any of the large scale battles in the Dominion War would be interesting.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I am 100% against this idea.

Binary Stars is not the type of content I want more of. Being limited by being bound to a predetermined narrative is too restricting overall as to what your character can and cannot do. Also, it’s honestly a bit silly to think they’re studying this battle to learn anything. So far, the only thing learned from this re-enactment is that if they had a ship with all Mark XV gear, the Federation would have defeated the Klingons in nothing flat.

Wolf 359 is a great example, that was a whole fleet losing to a single Cube. How would you re-enact that in a game where players defeat multiple cubes with no effort at all? The end is written, I have to lose., you would just have to twist things to fit the narrative. Doesn’t sound like a whole lot of fun to me.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    I do like this idea, but agree that there are only a few of these that might make sense, like the invasion of Cardassia or battle of DS9. Wolf 359 and Sector 001 wouldn't work since it's only 1 Borg Cube.

The other thing that I liked from Renegade's Regret (and A Step Between the Stars) is flying another ship, not merely a holo that makes me look different. I learned that I don't like the Dyson Science ship, but did like the TZ ship enough to get it when it became available.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    If we're gonna have more "historical re-enactment" TFOs what I'd want would be battles that were either made up by Cryptic or mentioned but never shown in any detail. This would allow Cryptic to first plan a good TFO and then make narative to fit that rather then the other way around.

Having just 1 enemy isn't a problem you just boost the stats of the enemy to fit that scenario, Wolf 359 could work as "the goal is to survive as long as possible" TFO, maybe with a special bonus reward if you actually end up destroying the Cube. That said the narative on those battles is a limiting factor, same invasion of Cardassia or any of the battles for DS9 in the series.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Wolf 359 is a great example, that was a whole fleet losing to a single Cube.

Crystalline Entity all over again. It may start out OP for a while...but then players will figure out or complain, and whine. And before you know it: we will see 1 second Wolf 359 runs on You Tube.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I'd rather see them rework and re-introduce "State of Q"
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Not for me. I prefer looking at my ships I worked so hard to obtain.

And like others have said, our ships are to strong for historical replays. However, if you had TFOs that puts you in a historically accurate ship with weapons and equipment originally used in the battle, and when you finish and return to your own ship it doesn’t mess up your tray.....that would be a challenge.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    The Battle of Tyra from the Dominion War?
    112 Federation ships went in, only 14 returned and the battle was referred to but never seen
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      The other thing that I liked from Renegade's Regret (and A Step Between the Stars) is flying another ship, not merely a holo that makes me look different.

Oh dear god.. you liked those?

There is only one thing they can put in a mission that will cause me to never ever play it and this is it. Having to fly one of Cryptic's horribly designed builds makes me want to just quit the game altogether. I hope they never, ever pull that garbage again.. I won't play any mission where I have to fly a ship with a Cryptic designed load out.

It's so incredibly obvious that the people that make this game don't actually play it. :lol:
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      The other thing that I liked from Renegade's Regret (and A Step Between the Stars) is flying another ship, not merely a holo that makes me look different.

Oh dear god.. you liked those?

There is only one thing they can put in a mission that will cause me to never ever play it and this is it. Having to fly one of Cryptic's horribly designed builds makes me want to just quit the game altogether. I hope they never, ever pull that garbage again.. I won't play any mission where I have to fly a ship with a Cryptic designed load out.

It's so incredibly obvious that the people that make this game don't actually play it. :lol:

Renegade's Regret was okay, because you simply fly a ship that's overpowered compared to the enemies, not some terrible Cryptic build. Step Between Stars still has the old problem and is far worse.

Neither is really great, because you're just following a preordained plot but unlike usually, your space barbie and build choices don't matter, either. It works as a one-off, but I certainly would not want a task force build around it.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

Renegade's Regret was okay, because you simply fly a ship that's overpowered compared to the enemies, not some terrible Cryptic build. Step Between Stars still has the old problem and is far worse.

Agreed completely.

Renegades regret was just slightly annoying, Step Between Stars is insufferable.
    • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
      As a historical training scenario it doesn't have to end as it did historically, you get to fight the battles and see the advantage of your different tactics and technology introduced to those battles.

How would you have fought wolf 359 (for example...make it a 'super cube' stat wise) with our more modern anti Borg tactics and technology.
      How would this battle from the Dominion war have gone differently etc. Etc. And plug in your rewards based on optional objectives of minimizing casualties or stopping the cube sooner etc.etc.

If you want a pure reenactment then yes you are more limited, but as a training scenario it's much more open.

Well I think so anyways.
    • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »
      Wolf 359 would be a little difficult due to the fact the opposing forces only having a single ship.
      They'd probably have to make an Uber Cube for it. But any of the large scale battles in the Dominion War would be interesting.

I've been waiting for this since day one. The Borg in this game are a joke.
    • accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
      Absolutely NOT! They couldn't even get THIS one right! The actual battle of the binary stars had at the most 24 Klingon ships that had warped in. Not several HUNDRED of them that just keep endlessly respawning.
    • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
      Wolf 359 PvPvE?! :D

1 Player is the OP Cube .... everyone else is the soon to be debris field.
      2gdi5w4mrudm.png
      Typhoon Class please!
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      ruinthefun wrote: »
      The actual build is absolutely wretched like every other Cryptic build. The only thing which prevents the mission from being unbearably awful is the massive boost applied to all of those abilities that makes them do 17x times more damage than they otherwise actually would. If you actually had to fight normal enemies without that 17x multiplier, that ship would be unbearably bad as well.

I didn't claim the build was any good, I claimed it was overpowered compared to the enemies. And that is what makes it much more bearable than something like Step Between the Stars, where you have a TRIBBLE "normal" build against normal-powered NPCs.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
      Battle of Axanar.
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
      Judge Dan Haywood
      'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
      l don't know.
      l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
      That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
    This discussion has been closed.