test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Battle at the Binary Stars

Comments

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Disables the jem heavy attack craft summon, no reason given.

Spawning in hangar pets is also disabled during the briefing timer, unlike every other space based TFO. The timer is also out of sync with when the player can move their ship.

Unskippable cutscenes retract from replayability. Whoever it is that insists on having them needs slapped hard.
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Personal verdict? I'd really, really like a map that doesn't have so much going on that the lag repeatedly causes the system to ignore my commands to activate healing powers. Getting a bit tired of swarming enemies, too; annoying as it was, it made sense with the Hur'q, but not so much with Klingons.

It grows ever more frustrating to have my Vengeance-class dreadnought repeatedly obliterated by dozens of torpedo hits from every direction with no chance to heal between the sheer numbers and the lag.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Every time I hear T'Kuvma's speech at the end of the STF, I replay this quote from an actually good villain:

"You are in a position to demand NOTHING. I, on the other hand, am in a position to GRANT nothing."

I mean, come on, I know it's supposed to follow the events, but his fleet is always getting TRASHED. BADLY! The optional objectives are even here to humiliate him even further.

It's pretty comical, I'd say. As comical as having my gigantic Valkis turned into a sluggish tiny DSC Miranda. XD
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Whelp. The patch was faster than expected; one good sign. I will be seeing how much the TFO does/doesn't suck shortly.
    *fingers crossed*
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Is it me, or because it's a holodeck simulation the XP rewards are lousy? I had hoped this event would be good for starship masteries, but no such luck.

EDIT: looks like XP is only earned during the last part of the mission with the optional "kill 20/40/60 ships".
    Post edited by sovereign010 on
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    > @saurializard said:
    > Every time I hear T'Kuvma's speech at the end of the STF, I replay this quote from an actually good villain:
    >
    > "You are in a position to demand NOTHING. I, on the other hand, am in a position to GRANT nothing."
    >
    > I mean, come on, I know it's supposed to follow the events, but his fleet is always getting TRASHED. BADLY! The optional objectives are even here to humiliate him even further.
    >
    > It's pretty comical, I'd say. As comical as having my gigantic Valkis turned into a sluggish tiny DSC Miranda. XD

Hehehe... 😂🤣 Silly T'Kuvma.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Just played this. Same stuff. Different day. It is just like Mirror Invasion. HEAVILY Timegated. Enemies which can only swarm and die by the hundreds. I spent most of the TFO so severely lagged, I might as well have played this on an Etch-A-Sketch.

At least then the frame rate would have been higher.

Disappointing for content which was announced as the way the game would go from now. Great idea crippled by slapdash execution.

Won't be bothering with this again. There are less irritating ways for my chars to earn 50K of Dil.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Probably the one event from this game which I don't even care to do.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    So did I read the Announcement Blog correctly and you get the three Featured TFO Reward selection boxes after you complete the 14 day and not on a Weekly basis as they used to do with Featured Episodes?

Probably makes sense as they could never get that once a week Featured Reward down - reset on Thursday, or after seven days, or etc.

This TFO reminded me of something Captain Ron Tracey said in 'The Omega Glory':

'They sacrificed hundreds, just to draw us out in the open. And then they came, and they came... and they still came. We killed thousands and they still came.'
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I think 2 TFO's should have been released one for the feds and one for the KDF whats the point in fighting a historic battle when you can't play both sides of the story.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2018
    MAJOR PROBLEM: Event Reputation Window is only showing a SINGLE COLUMN of slotted Projects. I have to go throw all my alts on the account to see who had what, and what progression they had before Cancelling the Project for the Breen Plesh Tral Heavy Raider [T6] (Winter 2017) and HOPE I didn't have another Project slotted behind it to start the FTFO Event Project.
    I am now a day behind, and there's a Holiday (US) coming up, which will make things even more difficult, as I won't have internet access 24/7 on/near that day.

The FTFO itself is not the problem; I liked it just fine. The ONE COLUMN ONLY FORMAT for Rep Window is a BIG FAT PROBLEM.
    FIX IT.

Events, meant for All Players to be able to play, should be just that. Breaking the Event/Rep interface does not help; it creates logistical nightmares.
    FIX IT.
    Post edited by sarvour0 on
    4073703.jpg
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    for some reason the klingon ships in this one feel weaker than the ships in defence of starbase one.
    kurzis wrote: »
    for some reason the klingon ships in this one feel weaker than the ships in defence of starbase one.

Buffet of Houses vs. the most brutal/badass House, lol.
    4073703.jpg

• herrgis#1415 herrgis Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Forced Cosmetics, a disaster of Biblical proportions!!! It is hundred times better having your own ship, you know the one that ends up with forty icons of buffs on it, than getting forced into a ship that has somebody else's equipment, tray, etc. that you have to use.

How soon we forget the lessons offered by Chicken Little/Henny Penny. There is no value for the STO Community Forums in spreading misinformation to stir up hate for an idea.

Cryptic said nothing about changing your buffs and equipment. Open up to new ideas/things and at least TRY them before you unleash Biblical disasters (tm); there are only so many of them to go around.
    You need to think of Star Trek Online as a marathon, not a sprint. Senlac t'Karveth
    Sometimes the Universe allows for the making of unexpected memories. Philippa Georgiou
    No matter your shame, gather your strength. Find a way to help those in need. Sarek of Vulcan
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @herrgis#1415 said:
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > How soon we forget the lessons offered by Chicken Little/Henny Penny. There is no value for the STO Community Forums in spreading misinformation to stir up hate for an idea.
    >
    > Cryptic said nothing about changing your buffs and equipment. Open up to new ideas/things and at least TRY them before you unleash Biblical disasters (tm); there are only so many of them to go around.

You've seemed to completely mistaken what I sarcastically said. I was referring to the crowd that was all up in arms about the change in the cosmetic look of their precious little ship. Stated that it was nothing in any order of magnitude to that of having to fly a ship where everything, including your tray setup was different than what you fly ala 'Sphere of Influence' or 'Step Between the Stars'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    robeasom wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Oi vey... people complaining about looking like an era appropriate ship...

Different universe ship not era. ;)

Except it's the same universe. The only thing that's really different is the visual aesthetics.

Which is why it's a different universe I don't care what CBS is, this is a different universe and I will do this only to see the discovery ship blow up multiple times

This is definitely a different universe.

The guy who cancelled Enterprise (just as they were starting to get better) gave us Discovery.
    The guy that also gave us TNG,
    sarvour0 wrote: »
    MAJOR PROBLEM: Event Reputation Window is only showing a SINGLE COLUMN of slotted Projects. I have to go throw all my alts on the account to see who had what, and what progression they had before Cancelling the Project for the Breen Plesh Tral Heavy Raider [T6] (Winter 2017) and HOPE I didn't have another Project slotted behind it to start the FTFO Event Project.
    I am now a day behind, and there's a Holiday (US) coming up, which will make things even more difficult, as I won't have internet access 24/7 on/near that day.

The FTFO itself is not the problem; I liked it just fine. The ONE COLUMN ONLY FORMAT for Rep Window is a BIG FAT PROBLEM.
    FIX IT.

Events, meant for All Players to be able to play, should be just that. Breaking the Event/Rep interface does not help; it creates logistical nightmares.
    FIX IT.

With the UI changes in the introduction of the Tier 6 Reputations, you can no longer "pre-slot" any projects to be queued automatically after the active one is completed. AFAIK, any pre-slotted projects you had are gone, but if not, you can't make new ones, so the issue is at best transitory.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    I really don't understand so much hate.

Its free stuff to fly your ship around shooting a load of bad guys. That's pretty much in line with the majority of the content so if you don't want it, don't do it. But good luck finding a mission that doesn't involve shooting stuff. You can achieve the goal running it once per day. its not difficult. As far as the cosmetic effect of flying a different ship, wth, it doesn't matter for one battle for goodness sake.

I really don't understand the winers!
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    As entertaining as this exercise is, I would present some food for thought: the rationale is to acquaint us with 23c Klingon tactics. Which are interesting and all, but J'Ula, from everything I've read/seen about her, is far from stupid - she's lying low for now, gathering allies and information, right? And surely among that latter is the fact of 23c Klingon tactics being well-known... so it stands to reason she'd be hitting the books hard with respect to current-day doctrines.

And as amusing as it would be to hear, I somehow doubt she'll borrow a certain classic quote to refer to rumors of House Mo'kai's demise.
    As entertaining as this exercise is, I would present some food for thought: the rationale is to acquaint us with 23c Klingon tactics. Which are interesting and all, but J'Ula, from everything I've read/seen about her, is far from stupid - she's lying low for now, gathering allies and information, right? And surely among that latter is the fact of 23c Klingon tactics being well-known... so it stands to reason she'd be hitting the books hard with respect to current-day doctrines.

And as amusing as it would be to hear, I somehow doubt she'll borrow a certain classic quote to refer to rumors of House Mo'kai's demise.

It's a game. You expecting Shakespeare? LOL, but kinda valid/at least semi-valid point on tactics, which no doubt a a class or two at the Academy covering that very subject.

And seriously whiners, having a childish hissy fit over your ship getting to have a little Halloween for One Battle? Really?
    *shakes head*
    4073703.jpg

• shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It's a game. You expecting Shakespeare?
    If I recall right, General Chang did quote the Bard at one point. But, getting back on track...
    LOL, but kinda valid/at least semi-valid point on tactics, which no doubt a a class or two at the Academy covering that very subject.
    Well, you inspired me to think some more about it... and it occurs to me that the point of being reacquainted with 23c Klingon tactics is not because we're expecting J'Ula to stick with them... but to get inside her head. Yes, we know she'll take the time to study and adapt to current tactics - so it'd be wise on our part to at least get some idea of how she would try and accomplish the latter, given her starting point.
    And seriously whiners, having a childish hissy fit over your ship getting to have a little Halloween for One Battle? Really?
    *shakes head*
    This, I have no problem with. It shows up in a couple of other missions, and I don't recall folks complaining on those occasions. What is noteworthy about this instance is that it's the only TFO which actually shows it; the others ('Days of Doom' and 'Miner Incursions') just mention that the mechanic is in play. Which still doesn't make it a problem.
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    It was in one of those short stories they do for Star Trek magazine every now and then. It was called "Black Mirror", and basically the Emperor secretly contacts Mirror Shon and has him kill Leeta for her repeated failures, and gives the Enterprise to him as a reward.

Wait, what??

And here, I had been warming up to the idea of Mirror Leeta showing back up to be a nuisance every now and then, like STO's version of Team Rocket. :/

And to hide it in a short story in some magazine that clearly not all of us read...why in the hell would that not have put something like that in one of the story blogs actually here on the forums??

I know it seems like such a small thing to get upset over, but the fact that they just quietly brushed a loose story thread under the carpet like that gives me a slight sense of foreboding. Between the launch of the recent expansion and the preview of what they are working on, I was already worried that they were angling to slowly transform STO into TRIBBLE : Online, full time. Having them quietly go around removing any possibly story hooks for the modern, non- TRIBBLE timeline doesn't do much to alleviate that concern.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It's a freakin' ZOO in there!!! LOL! Fun, but silly!!! LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    robeasom wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Oi vey... people complaining about looking like an era appropriate ship...

Different universe ship not era. ;)

Except it's the same universe. The only thing that's really different is the visual aesthetics.

Which is why it's a different universe I don't care what CBS is, this is a different universe and I will do this only to see the discovery ship blow up multiple times

This is definitely a different universe.

The guy who cancelled Enterprise (just as they were starting to get better) gave us Discovery.
    The guy that also gave us TNG,

Um...no. Les Moonves had nothing to do with TNG, or DS9, or Voyager, or any of the movies. Gene Roddenberry gave us TNG, and created the original IP, but he was dead-in-the-ground 20 years before Discovery was rolled out, and had nothing to do with it beyond orginating the property CBS looted to make their little web-show.

Yes, I actually wanted to delete that post because I looked up since when Moonves was in his position at CBS, and it seems he came later than most Trek series, at least into the positions where his influence was relevant. I think, at least, because I really don't understand what the different job titles he held at CBS really mean.

Unfortunately, the forum has the habit of remembering half-finished posts, and when I quoted someone for a different reply, apparently the drafted part from the previous attempt was restored, too, and I didn't notice. Funny how the Edit Monster loves to delete your posts, but drafts of ill-conceived posts stay around forever.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Why can't my character use Battle Cloak when it is in a holograph ship?
    It is still one of my "powers" in the tray.

I will have to check tomorrow how much "my ship" changes when I lose my cloaking ability.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Funny thing: My first try with the STF was my ship turned into the USS Kerala and I ended up accidentally doing the almost exact same shot and action it does in the episode, where the Shenzhou takes evasive action and the Kerala enters the fray and draws aggro.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

FIX IT.

FIX IT.

I was not a fan of the UI change to rep projects either. Sadly, it is working as intended.
    jcsww wrote: »

FIX IT.

FIX IT.

I was not a fan of the UI change to rep projects either. Sadly, it is working as intended.

TRIBBLE. That just sucks.
    4073703.jpg

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Every time I hear T'Kuvma's speech at the end of the STF, I replay this quote from an actually good villain:

"You are in a position to demand NOTHING. I, on the other hand, am in a position to GRANT nothing."

I mean, come on, I know it's supposed to follow the events, but his fleet is always getting TRASHED. BADLY! The optional objectives are even here to humiliate him even further.

It's pretty comical, I'd say. As comical as having my gigantic Valkis turned into a sluggish tiny DSC Miranda. XD
    My Vonph, let me show you it:
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.