test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

On Lag and Tier 6 Reputations

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
edited November 2018 in Galactic News Network [PC]
UPDATE: In case you missed it, the patch notes today included a fix for the skill invalidation, by clicking respect. :)

So claim away!

Hey folks,

We've been looking into the lag and rubber banding issues in the game, and determined the cause. Unfortunately, the cause was a fix we'd put in place to fix an entirely different bug - that Captains were getting their skills invalidated by claiming Tier 6 reputations. Because the lag is a larger issue throughout the game, we've decided to remove the previous fix as of a few minutes ago. This means that until our next update, where we'll be instituting a fix that should solve both problems, you should avoid claiming a Tier 6 Reputation. We apologize for the inconvenience - the fact that these two things are even related is mind boggling, but that's coding for you.
Post edited by ambassadorkael#6946 on

Comments

• rebuilthk47rebuilthk47 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    I can't blame whomever owns STO. The creators did the coding of the game. I could blame the tools being used, as those were made by the game/engine creators too. Either way, it's really annoying.
  • rebuilthk47rebuilthk47 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Oh, glad it's found and taken care of. Am I correct that a game restart is needed to fix the issue?
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    That you have taken the time to explain the problem, as well as what is being done to address it, pleases me. I also imagine that the road up to that next update will include as exhaustive a testing as Redshirt and Tribble permit.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    how long is that though? another week? tomorrow?
  • lordzandor#5872 lordzandor Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Thank you for letting us know. Is there an ETA on when the next update will be? Or will it be during the normal weekly maintenance next Thursday?
    fb4e279c70a13f40beed85b1da7177e8_large.png
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I assume those like myself that have already claimed T6 reputations on all of their characters, are not going to lose their skills when they log back in tomorrow?
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• jcox2jcox2 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    So for those of us that are already Tier VI, will our skills be broken???????
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    Ehh, I don't think these are related, Kael. The lag etc has been going on since before anyone could possibly have claimed the T6 reps, even spamming the hourly projects.
    I need a beer.

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    ulCXbdF.gif

I picture the coding at Cryptic going a lot like this.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • altlexingtonaltlexington Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Finally a fix, I feel like I've rubber-banded backwards further than I've piloted forwards these last few weeks.
    I have my fingers crossed for you guys that it works.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    For the record, we've had lag since at least the DS9 revamp.
    just walking between the ship requisitions and the bank lags every single time (opening a dialog at each location, too). This is most noticeable when getting items from the bank, going to sell them, and going back. Lag every time. Often times, the lag causes my character to roll forward, instead of walk, due to input delays.
    There's also a lag when you activate reputation projects, which doesn't trigger the box until like a minute later.
    That's been in the game for years.

Still, I appreciate the discussion on it. I assume if I don't care about losing my skill assignment, I can still claim a T6 rep if I want to? IOW, there's nothing else to worry about?

I've already claimed about 95% of my reps, but a few characters are behind, and still have a few days to finish.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    Still getting horrible rubber banding. ISP is Verizon. But at the moment I believe that the fact its raining (about to be sleet) is contributing to the problem.
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    To be or not to be: B)
  • tenoholtenohol Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    Question. If you have been lucky enough not to experience any lag or rubber banding. Does the same policy apply regarding claiming T6 Rep?
    Thank you for letting us know. Is there an ETA on when the next update will be? Or will it be during the normal weekly maintenance next Thursday?

Maintenance next week will be early due to next Thursday being Thanksgiving. So expect it around Tuesday of next week. Might not be any patch notes though, just routine shard maintenance.
  • b1u73ng31b1u73ng31 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I have my fingers crossed for you guys that it works.

yes, fingers crossed for coding, thats how it works.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    The rubberbanding has been affecting me for 3 weeks now and was starting to really get on my nerves. I do appreciate that you have found the route of the issue and communicated it out to people. It's something i'd like to see being done a lot more as acknowledging issues and just communicating keeps people in the know and more often than not stops us from getting annoyed when there is a problem and all we get from Cryptic is radio silence.

Edit not tier 6 rep related this is Gamma auto complete related. I'm finding if I convert 500/250/50 marks to dil the 1st time auto complete is near instant if I then do exactly the same project the auto complete can lag for anything up to 30 secs. Its not a problem if a queue 500 then 250 just if I do 500 - 500 or 50 - 50
    Post edited by ussvaliant#6064 on
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    I feel left out. I didn't get any lag or rubber banding :(
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    eazzie wrote: »
    I feel left out. I didn't get any lag or rubber banding :(

That might indicate it is just the interaction of Tier 6 reputations with some skill values that does this.

Coding can be so much fun!
    I get minor rubber banding, mostly in popular zones and I've not unlocked any T6 reps yet.

• goldenavarielgoldenavariel Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    What's the bug with T6 rep? I have several I could have claimed last night but left them. Is it just the old rep traits disappearing so you have to put back the new ones or something worse?
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    Hey folks,

We've been looking into the lag and rubber banding issues in the game, and determined the cause. Unfortunately, the cause was a fix we'd put in place to fix an entirely different bug - that Captains were getting their skills invalidated by claiming Tier 6 reputations. Because the lag is a larger issue throughout the game, we've decided to remove the previous fix as of a few minutes ago. This means that until our next update, where we'll be instituting a fix that should solve both problems, you should avoid claiming a Tier 6 Reputation. We apologize for the inconvenience - the fact that these two things are even related is mind boggling, but that's coding for you.

I'm surprised that the fix could be removed without a patch or taking down the servers.

What's the bug with T6 rep? I have several I could have claimed last night but left them. Is it just the old rep traits disappearing so you have to put back the new ones or something worse?

See this thread.

Skills Invalid?

The bug was also reported in the Tribble forums before "Age of Discovery", but I'm not going to bother looking up all those posts.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • lordzandor#5872 lordzandor Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »

Maintenance next week will be early due to next Thursday being Thanksgiving. So expect it around Tuesday of next week. Might not be any patch notes though, just routine shard maintenance.

Thanks.
    fb4e279c70a13f40beed85b1da7177e8_large.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I took an Intro to C++ class and even in those easy beginner codes our TA was stumped as to why the code was not compiling and doing what it was supposed to do on one assignment. :D Games where multiple people write it must be a mess; even if meticulous notes are taken.
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I claimed a T6 rep previously and the traits were bugged up, is this involved in that as well? That was day before yesterday though... Basically instead of removing the trait to re-add, it left invalid traits 'stuck' in spots.

Also: This needs an in game announcement, not a forum one. I wasn't on the forums yesterday and wound up claiming several T6 reps on one alt. THANKS SO MUCH for only posting it here. :p​​
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    So I shouldn't claim Tier 6 reputation? Mine's are ready to go today.. Glad I read this before heading online, or is it safe to claim them?
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    @ambassadorkael This should be in the Blog section and the announcement in-game as well. Not everyone goes to the forums for this info. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    sthe91 wrote: »
    @ambassadorkael This should be in the Blog section and the announcement in-game as well. Not everyone goes to the forums for this info. Thanks. :)

it was put on social media if they follow STO on that they got the info.

as for some saying this lag has been going on for weeks the lag you were feeling was nothing compared to the lag/rubberbanding that hit yesterday.