test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Battle at the Binary Stars

Comments

• zeluthaszeluthas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Forced Cosmetics, a disaster of Biblical proportions!!! It is hundred times better having your own ship, you know the one that ends up with forty icons of buffs on it, than getting forced into a ship that has somebody else's equipment, tray, etc. that you have to use.

I would agree to this (since I don't like missions with swapped out ships either), were it not for the fact that it has been stated a couple of times already, that those changes will be cosmetic only and you keep your abilities, equipment, trays and everything else.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    So we go from summoning pirates to pilot ships to summoning bugs (HurQ) to summoning Klingons.
    Anyone else think there is a summon overload?
    As someone who just picked up a Sarcophagus Dreadnought Carrier I'm totally cool with it! :smiley:
    Yeah, I love it!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Only good thing about these 14 day events are the wealth of Rep mark you can put towards a project.
    Also what is the sense of Federation working towards a KDF themed reward ? I would like to see the Post Iconian War universe explored rather than have Discovery stuff forced down peoples throats just because session 2 was coming out.

Well it's the only way they can "force" people to watch anything that has to do with Discovery. Based oThe total viewers never got passed half of what Enterprise had... no wonder CBS won't release the numbers.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Yeah, why not make two versions? One for Fed & allies and one for KDF & allies?

Probably because they don't have time to do it.

Well I remember the good old days when STF's were faction locked. Infected (both space and ground were part of the same STF back then) was relatively easy to get in as a KDF. The Cure was a lot harder and even if you were lucky enough to get a group started the ground portion was hard and people would often leave before it was completed. Khitomer was also relatively easy if you were patient. I only remember a few instances when I managed to complete Terradome as a KDF. Doing those STF'S was the only way of getting the required components for shields, engines, deflectors, etc... and the RNG God was not kind. You either got nothing interesting or piece you had already collected. It was not fun. Cross faction was the way to go. And it still is.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    It doesn't need to be a Gamma Quadrant Faction, as it's quite publicly said that the Dominion has been severely weakened... so anyone with access to the Wormhole can make a play for it. The Orion Syndicate, for instance. The Ferengi... The True Way... Splinter groups of the Klingons, The Tal Shiar... The Kazon, the Undine... The Borg, Mirror Universe Leeta... the Bluegills...also for factions in the Gamma Quadrant, it doesn't need to be a major faction, just needs someone with enough firepower to bully a now no longer defended Dominion World to start a feeding frenzy in there.
    The only thing stopping that feeding frenzy between various small factions was the massive amount of Jem'Hadar and the huge fleets the Dominion could bring to bear... which got eaten by the Hur'q. Who then would go back into hibernation after they fed, since that's their cycle of life.
    -The Orion Syndicate is part of the Klingon Empire, and part of the Alliance
    -The Ferengi are part of the Alliance
    -The True Way doesn't exist anymore
    -The Tal Shiar doesn't exist anymore
    -The Undine realized they were being tricked by the Iconians, and went back into fluidic space because they don't care about normal space unless they come into fluidic space
    -The Kazon are in the Delta Quadrant, and nowhere near the Dominion to begin with
    -The bluegill stopped doing their stuff when the Iconian War ended, since the Iconians left with all of thier servitor races including the Bluegill
    -Mirror Leeta was killed by Mirror Shon under orders of the Mirror Emperor
    -The Borg suffered so many loses due to thier multi way war with the Alliance, Voth, Undine, and Vaadwuar that they barely exist as an entity. Not to mention, Borg space isn't near Dominion space.

Also, there is no species in the GQ with that kind of firepower. The Dominion was the only armed force in the region, and all the other worlds relied on them for military service.

And there are still tons of Dominion ships and Jem'Hadar out there, even after the war. The Dominion has such great forces they could send hundreds of ships to blockade the Karemmans during the Hur'q crisis like it was nothing.

The Tal Shiar still exists and so does the Romulan Star Empire.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    was this not supposed to be out today if not why was there not a mention that it was taken down or ?
  • dases12dases12 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    was this not supposed to be out today if not why was there not a mention that it was taken down or ?

I was wondering the same thing
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

It was likely a mistake on the calendar. In game, it starts the 15th.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    It doesn't need to be a Gamma Quadrant Faction, as it's quite publicly said that the Dominion has been severely weakened... so anyone with access to the Wormhole can make a play for it. The Orion Syndicate, for instance. The Ferengi... The True Way... Splinter groups of the Klingons, The Tal Shiar... The Kazon, the Undine... The Borg, Mirror Universe Leeta... the Bluegills...also for factions in the Gamma Quadrant, it doesn't need to be a major faction, just needs someone with enough firepower to bully a now no longer defended Dominion World to start a feeding frenzy in there.
    The only thing stopping that feeding frenzy between various small factions was the massive amount of Jem'Hadar and the huge fleets the Dominion could bring to bear... which got eaten by the Hur'q. Who then would go back into hibernation after they fed, since that's their cycle of life.
    -The Ferengi are part of the Alliance
    -The True Way doesn't exist anymore
    -The Tal Shiar doesn't exist anymore
    -The Undine realized they were being tricked by the Iconians, and went back into fluidic space because they don't care about normal space unless they come into fluidic space
    -The Kazon are in the Delta Quadrant, and nowhere near the Dominion to begin with
    -The bluegill stopped doing their stuff when the Iconian War ended, since the Iconians left with all of thier servitor races including the Bluegill
    -Mirror Leeta was killed by Mirror Shon under orders of the Mirror Emperor
    -The Borg suffered so many loses due to thier multi way war with the Alliance, Voth, Undine, and Vaadwuar that they barely exist as an entity. Not to mention, Borg space isn't near Dominion space.

Also, there is no species in the GQ with that kind of firepower. The Dominion was the only armed force in the region, and all the other worlds relied on them for military service.

And there are still tons of Dominion ships and Jem'Hadar out there, even after the war. The Dominion has such great forces they could send hundreds of ships to blockade the Karemmans during the Hur'q crisis like it was nothing.

The Tal Shiar still exists and so does the Romulan Star Empire.
    technically yes but both are shadows of the shadows of their former power. RSE is limited to truly controlling only few systems at core of post-hobus territory, while the Tal Shiar is little more then pirates now, I don't think they even control any ship yards anymore.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    As far as we know for a shadowy organisation.

Sela has a habit of turning up like a bad smell and we're about due for another episode with her.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Mirror Leeta was killed by Mirror Shon under orders of the Mirror Emperor

When the hell did this happen?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited November 2018

No, the Orions are part of the Klingon Empire, the Orion Syndicate is a separate entity which is a thorn in the sides of both the Empire and Starfleet. Or have you forgotten the Nimbus Wasteland arc already?
    And since when has the Ferengi all listened to Grand Nagus Rom when it comes to Profit.

As for Gamma Quadrant races, there's the T-Rogoran and the Hunters who could take advantage of the lack of the huge Dominion fleets, given that there is ONE Dominion fleet still in existence which is Odo's.

And yes, when did Mirror Leeta get killed? I can't find anything that says that she was. The latest I can find from the STO wiki is "After returning to the Mirror Universe following her latest defeat, Admiral Leeta receives orders from the Emperor to surrender command of the I.S.S. Enterprise to Captain Jarok of the I.R.W. Lleiset. Before she and her crew can make their escape, the Enterprise is attacked by the I.S.S. Pastak, along with the Tempus and Poh; however, Leeta is able to transmit a secret code which disables the vessels and allows the Enterprise to destroy the Pastak, after which the other vessels pledge their loyalty to Leeta. She prepares to find new allies, using information downloaded from New Khitomer in the other universe."
    Post edited by alyxvixen#3895 on
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Misclicked.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It was in one of those short stories they do for Star Trek magazine every now and then.

Why isn't this stuff in the game? To hell with Shon ... put Leeta back in charge!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User

It was likely a mistake on the calendar. In game, it starts the 15th.

would have been nice if they put that on the blog or the EP last week had not said Thursday of this week but okay so now it's the 15th we shall see.
    It was in one of those short stories they do for Star Trek magazine every now and then. It was called "Black Mirror", and basically the Emperor secretly contacts Mirror Shon and has him kill Leeta for her repeated failures, and gives the Enterprise to him as a reward.

See, doing a short story like that for a magazine that people have to purchase means that the majority of the players probably have no idea about it. The only way we'll get it touched upon in STO is if they ever have another go with the Terran Empire against the alliance.

• storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    When is this set to start? Says November and we are in November unless I missed the formal rolled out date?​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    storules wrote: »
    When is this set to start? Says November and we are in November unless I missed the formal rolled out date?​​

Look at the ingame calendar.

• storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    When is this set to start? Says November and we are in November unless I missed the formal rolled out date?

Look at the ingame calendar.

Thanks! I see it on calendar.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    robeasom wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Oi vey... people complaining about looking like an era appropriate ship...

Different universe ship not era. ;)

Except it's the same universe. The only thing that's really different is the visual aesthetics.

Which is why it's a different universe I don't care what CBS is, this is a different universe and I will do this only to see the discovery ship blow up multiple times

This is definitely a different universe.

The guy who cancelled Enterprise (just as they were starting to get better) gave us Discovery. He was hoping that the fans of JJTrek outweighed the fans of the Prime timeline. Luckily he's on his way out.

There was a blog for STO, that could only be commented on Facebook and Twitter, that stated that Star Trek: Discovery is a 'Reimagination'. A euphemism for a major reboot. Think Battlestar Galatica. It's one thing when you take a older show that's been left untouched for decades, but it's another thing entirely when there's a large fanbase with big convention presence.

That's more than just visual aesthetics. Shoehorning a human character into Spock's family; advancing technology to the point where Star Fleet has instantaneous communication with starships, so Captains behave like those from the Next Generation period; throwing out the continuity of Star Trek: Enterprise to Star Trek: DS9 (now they are saying Klingons were bald because they 'shave' their heads in times of war, which is screwy since they never shaved their hair during their civil wars, or invading Cardassian space, etc., a lame attempt to correct their course).
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    One of the issues I have with DSC, and now AoD, is the worst name for a space battle EVER.
    Binary Star Systems are more numerous than either single-star or trinary star systems.
    Astronomers are busy cataloguing new stars as they are discovered, most of which have at least a placeholder designation based on when, where and/or how it was found. The Binary Star System that was the backdrop of the battle in the DSC pilot, would have likely had one or two designations by Federation scientists, at the minimum.
    That the writers did not make up a name, or pick one from the constantly growing catalog of discovered binary pairs, is lazy and stupid in the extreme. The worst kind of bad writing, IMHO, is people writing about a thing as if they know what they are talking about, but it is painfully clear that they don't.

/end rant.

That said, I hope the Featured TFO will be better than its namesake.

"Complete the TFO on 14 different days to earn the Beacon of Kahless while earning marks and dilithium, as well as three Featured TFO Reward Boxes. This box gives your choice of an Enhanced Universal Tech Upgrade or a Captain Specialization Point Box, which gives the character who opens it a Specialization Point. These boxes are account bound and may be traded via the account bank.

Any character who finishes the 14 day project will unlock a bonus project that can be completed with a single TFO Commendation. This project will reward dilithium ore, fleet marks, and a mark choice package."

So this is a daily grind, not a weekly. Some ppl seem to think it is weekly.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Why can't we be on the winning side of the battle

Because CBS won, then Darth Moonves had to TRIBBLE TRIBBLE TRIBBLE all over the franchise, TRIBBLE TRIBBLE the dynamic duo of Bad Robot/Paramount AND their own, in-house Treks with legal TRIBBLE TRIBBLE TRIBBLE TRIBBLE into a big TRIBBLE TRIBBLE TRIBBLETRIBBLETRIBBLETRIBBLETRIBBLETRIBBLETRIBBLETRIBBLETRIBBLETRIBBLE mess, that CBS is now desperate to clean the TRIBBLE mess up, but without a proper Trek-fan at the helm to fix DSC and other problems plaguing the franchise & its diverse portfolio of productions, we're all lost & stuck in TRIBBLE-land.
    4073703.jpg
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well normally when they have 14-day Events, once the main project is done all Characters on the Account can run the Bonus Project. The wording in this Blog implies only the Character that completed the 14-day can.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited November 2018
    In-game Calendar says it Starts 11 AM on 15 November, and Ends at 1PM on 6 December. In Reality it 'may' start on time, 50/50. End will most likely be 3 hours BEFORE the scheduled 'End'.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    sarvour0 wrote: »
    One of the issues I have with DSC, and now AoD, is the worst name for a space battle EVER.
    Binary Star Systems are more numerous than either single-star or trinary star systems.
    Astronomers are busy cataloguing new stars as they are discovered, most of which have at least a placeholder designation based on when, where and/or how it was found. The Binary Star System that was the backdrop of the battle in the DSC pilot, would have likely had one or two designations by Federation scientists, at the minimum.
    That the writers did not make up a name, or pick one from the constantly growing catalog of discovered binary pairs, is lazy and stupid in the extreme. The worst kind of bad writing, IMHO, is people writing about a thing as if they know what they are talking about, but it is painfully clear that they don't.

/end rant.
    Well, it was described as being six light years from Gamma Hydra and at the most remote border of Federation space. In fact the Klingons considered it to be "too close" to their border.

With all due respect, a description of a location is not the same thing as a Proper Name for a place. At least, it has not been the case for some time, as there are places on Earth, that were named in that fashion, by people with little to no education ( or maybe just no imagination). And these are exceptions to naming conventions. As I stated, simply calling the location "Binary Stars" instead of at least the kind of placeholder designation actual astronomers use is stupid. If some kind of space rednecks lived there and called the place that as it's what their ancestors named it, it would be slightly less stupid; it would at least be plausible.

The showrunner (? or writer?) wanted something catchy like "Battle of Bunker Hill" and blundered hard.
    4073703.jpg

Regarding the event, making my list and checking it twice...
    Note: when I made my multiple accounts, events like this and the seasonals were not yet a thing. I had no idea what i'd be in for...
    By the time I am done patching, or shortly thereafter, I should know which chars i'll run the event with! Have fun everyone!
    4073703.jpg

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    I ran it once and that seems like enough for me. It's simply wave after wave of enemies, which pretty much makes it similar to most of the other content in the game. The special console isn't worth the effort in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.