test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone else noticing horrible lag in game?

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Well...I am pretty much down to DOFFing and Admiralty on about 5 characters...
    Besides reading the forums...of course.

Between the messed up Mission Journal, story missions unable to be completed because objectives missing (or one stupid thing or another causing me to have to keep restarting them), the funky rubber banding on occasion, NPC torpedo craziness, and my penchant for creating Recruits of one kind or another who don't have all their missions available, yet, anyways....it is the only safe thing left to do....LOL!

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Have been rubberbanding a bit the last few days.
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Reporting back in: The switch to 64-bit....helped but has not cleared all the rubberbanding. But much LESS than it was when I was running the game under 32-bit.

I am surprised some folks reporting back switching it around to 32-bit is doing better for them. Interesting. Hmmm.

Anyhoo, I am not sure what is causing all of this.

A couple of guesses here.

Firstly, switching from 32-64 bit is going to be solely based on your system and performance. Either way it depends on your system.

Secondly, the fact that the lag is primarily in social zones tells me that it's coming directly from the servers. Especially since my traceroute shows no issues after 30 tries and it's below 60ms.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    Well weekends are always a bit "laggy" due to the increased population, add to that this weekend having multiple "bonuses" and sales and well, the game is unplayable for me, even doing solo missions I'm getting SNR's constantly and being kicked to the in game login screen. And it takes around 12mins just to load each character, so even doing basic DoFF'ing/Alt hopping is out.

I couldn't even download the program from Cryptic that you are supposed to run to get network info, as it kept timing out Lol.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I should point out that: performance issues =/= rubberbanding.

Rubberbanding is ALWAYS an connectivity/network issue somewhere down the line. It is the result of the server and client being out of sync due to slow data transfer, hence why you periodically "bounce back" because the server is telling you that your not actually where your client says you are.

Freezing and Stuttering on the other hand is a performance issue, either on your end or the servers end. When it's server side it tends to be the result of the server's processors simply not being able to work fast enough to handle the load, even though the connection between client and server is perfectly fine.
    A perfect example of this is how CC used to grind to a halt before they reworked many of the multi-target AoE abilities like Kemocite-Laced Weapons.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    So, what is causing it, now? Did they change some game ability with the last two patches?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It doesn't look like an issue with Cryptic's servers. I've run traceroutes to Elder Scrolls Online, Google, two Discord voice servers, Discord itself, and even Bethesda's patch servers. This is what I got back. Multiple hops had ping spikes and fluctuations well above the acceptable ranges (even for a 2.85 Mbps DSL connection like mine).

quuQeJG.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I rarely have lag issues, but these days, I definitely have.
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Reporting back in: The switch to 64-bit....helped but has not cleared all the rubberbanding. But much LESS than it was when I was running the game under 32-bit.

I am surprised some folks reporting back switching it around to 32-bit is doing better for them. Interesting. Hmmm.

Anyhoo, I am not sure what is causing all of this.

Maybe it has nothing to do with it, and is just accident. Or switching the modes resets something that affects connectivity to the server.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    I'm going to go way out on a limb here I'm sure...but for ME, the rubber banding and server disconnects started about 2 weeks ago now, since the LAST time the server was taken down for 5 hours for "maintenance". I can't help but shake my head at the idea, but at least for me, every time the server is taken down for "maintenance", something like this happens.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    I'm going to go way out on a limb here I'm sure...but for ME, the rubber banding and server disconnects started about 2 weeks ago now, since the LAST time the server was taken down for 5 hours for "maintenance". I can't help but shake my head at the idea, but at least for me, every time the server is taken down for "maintenance", something like this happens.

Same here.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    I find the new DS9 interior to be especially bad. Just taking a couple of steps to walk across the (much too small of a) room from Exchange to Bank can be challenging.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
    ethoir wrote: »
    It doesn't look like an issue with Cryptic's servers. I've run traceroutes to Elder Scrolls Online, Google, two Discord voice servers, Discord itself, and even Bethesda's patch servers. This is what I got back. Multiple hops had ping spikes and fluctuations well above the acceptable ranges (even for a 2.85 Mbps DSL connection like mine).

quuQeJG.jpg

Honestly don't understand why you would consider this to be informative. I have a MUCH better connection to their servers and yet have massive lag in social zones. They need to fix it, fix it now, admit to it, say they are aware of the issue, and then fix it 10x over. All the times they have said "oh look we are fixing the servers!!!! WHoopee!!!!" and we have to wait for days while they do....I dunno what......F'n fix it.
    > @gfreeman98 said:
    > I find the new DS9 interior to be especially bad. Just taking a couple of steps to walk across the (much too small of a) room from Exchange to Bank can be challenging.

That has been like that for me since they added it. I do not know why it is so bad there.

But the way the game has been acting for the past couple of weeks, is different. And everywhere for me. Even when DOFFing in Sector.

• autobotgoldbugautobotgoldbug Member Posts: 60 Arc User

yes supposedly the last patch was to have fixed it but it didn't
    in fact I think it got worse
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    I've also been having issues with rubberbanding,slow loading, lag, and gameserver disconnects for the last few days. I suspect that it's network related rather than game related.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I have always had disconnect issues (though turning off on demand loading helped with that a bit) but only started rubber banding a week or two ago.
    Ok, I have a definitive answer! And to those Cryptic/PWE lurkers thank you!!!!

"It appears that we have been having confirmed issues with our servers, and the development team is investigating some solutions. Unfortunately I do not have a time line for a release, so please keep an eye on our patch notes when they are released for any updates about this issue."
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

"It appears that we have been having confirmed issues with our servers, and the development team is investigating some solutions. Unfortunately I do not have a time line for a release, so please keep an eye on our patch notes when they are released for any updates about this issue."

Just curious, was that posted somewhere? or was it an answer to a ticket?

I was wondering if there was a confirmed issue, this game is usually super smooth for me but has been pretty bad over the last week. I actually played earlier today and all was well, but it's nice to know that there is a confirmed issue that's being looked at.

Thank you for relaying that information.
    Insert witty signature line here.

I was wondering if there was a confirmed issue, this game is usually super smooth for me but has been pretty bad over the last week. I actually played earlier today and all was well, but it's nice to know that there is a confirmed issue that's being looked at.

It's an answer to my ticket, which makes me absolutely giddy. I don't mind however long it takes I'm just glad they are aware of the issue and working on it instead of us fiddling with our pc's and debating the cause.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Tour the galaxy endeavour was very bouncy and made more obvious by the breen engine trail.

I've noticed more and more that abilities will not get used but go on cooldown so I've started to avoid using the ones with longer cooldowns like the swarmer summon.

Can't say I'm surprised at DS9 being hellish to move around in, the revamp that made it "show accurate" shrunk it down way too much for use in gameplay without a first person view. It's even worse on console with the fixed view distances often causing the camera to spasm due to doors opening or finding itself bouncing through the wafer thin walls to the outside.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

It's an answer to my ticket, which makes me absolutely giddy. I don't mind however long it takes I'm just glad they are aware of the issue and working on it instead of us fiddling with our pc's and debating the cause.

Agreed, thank you again for the information.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    coming up to 2 weeks, its starting to irritate me now. Rubberbanding/power tray misfires in space/crafting lag

I think we all need to head to Paria and stomp some bugs the Bluegill infiltration of the Alpha/Beta Quadrants is starting to become far reaching

https://youtu.be/5QmvEbphF8c
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Rubberbanding in sector space, ESD & DS9 mostly; that said, the "Tour the Galaxy" is easily broken by this. It's hard enough to even come close to making the full tour without bouncing back a light year every few seconds...
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Folks who are dealing with this - what ISPs are ya'll on? Trying to narrow this down.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Been getting a load of rubberbanding for the last few weeks, so add me to the list.

As for my ISP, CenturyLink.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • lordzandor#5872 lordzandor Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Folks who are dealing with this - what ISPs are ya'll on? Trying to narrow this down.

Been getting quite a bit of rubberbanding as well, mostly in social zones.
    My ISP is Ziggo (Netherlands).
    fb4e279c70a13f40beed85b1da7177e8_large.png
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    ISP - Plusnet (UK)

Getting the worst lag/rubberbanding in social zones (especially DS9) and also a tonne of unresponsive UI lag in missions.

Definitely worse in the last two weeks i'd say.
    SulMatuul.png
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Rubberbanding is extremely bad in some cases, mild, but still (at least slightly) annoying in others. Constant ability misfires (ability not activating upon click, but still going on CD) are also very frustrating.

ISP is STV (Estonia).
This discussion has been closed.