• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Great post @alcaatraz

Thanks for that! :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It's not harder,

It's "more challenging."

I thought something had deslotted somewhere, good to know it's the game.
    Post edited by thlaylierah on
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that nobody sa
    It's not harder,

It's "more challenging."
    [...]

Or "it's as if you had slotted less expensive gear". :smiley:

You dont get it and never will as you still bring in the same arguments as 2 years ago. Cryptic made it clear in October 2014 what they expect from thier players if they want to have a satisfactory game experience in endgame PvE. All this expencive gear (like invincible or whatever) is not there for us to take it easy. Its there for us to increase the expectations we have towards each other and ultimately for ourselves.

Those who do their homework get rewarded as they can freely choose what to do in game and with whom to do it with. Those who don't can't and will end up being upset as others beat them on every battelfield of choice, much like Tune did in your pitiful patrol.

I can and do challenge myself everywhere in game with whatever I do and with everybody I play. That's fun and will keep on beeing fun!

Sadly you can't and I feel so sorry for you and only bother replying to you because of it.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • revolution0214revolution0214 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Well said @alcaatraz

If you still like tanking and want to pull more threat, then take a look at the trait from the Narendra class ship, History will remember, I think you'll like it.

As one of the best tanks in the game, Jay is more than aware of this trait.

I can also confirm it's massively beneficial for tanks as it increases threat generation, a small amount of damage (up to 30% Cat1 all damage), and increases Regen/Hull Cap.

At max stacks, it's giving twice the amount of threat generation as a single embassy console, which makes it excellent for a tank wanting to ensure comfortably drawing aggro.
    ---@revolution0214 | Certified Clueless | Zone, Forums, and Facebook tri-branded Top Fleet Player™ |

I'm pretty sure that even if you've not equipped AP but are doing x17 elitist hax dps, you're actually using AP. It's another coding quirk.
    verified by the forums, zone and top fleet players.
    -Nirett

So TIL that SA didn't go from being a T H I C C damage bonus to a thicc damage bonus. Rather, what happened is that it went from T H I C C to merely flat. I guess I should be happy it was not turned into a flatter bonus. That would have been even more nerd-rage worthy. -Anonymous
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    [quote]As [Jay/alcaatraz is] one of the best tanks in the game,[/quote]

Not to mention the foremost expert when it comes to the game mechanics in their entirety. And the pilot of an amazing T6 Amby build. So yeah, just like Rev mentioned, I believe it's safe to say he's aware of the trait and it's benefits. :D

Edit: Vanilla forums need to git gud and not break the formatting.
  • revolution0214revolution0214 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    As [Jay/alcaatraz is] one of the best tanks in the game,

Not to mention the foremost expert when it comes to the game mechanics in their entirety. And the pilot of an amazing T6 Amby build. So yeah, just like Rev mentioned, I believe it's safe to say he's aware of the trait and it's benefits. :D

Edit: Vanilla forums need to git gud and not break the formatting.

I also agree that the forums need to git gud...
    ---@revolution0214 | Certified Clueless | Zone, Forums, and Facebook tri-branded Top Fleet Player™ |

I'm pretty sure that even if you've not equipped AP but are doing x17 elitist hax dps, you're actually using AP. It's another coding quirk.
    verified by the forums, zone and top fleet players.
    -Nirett

So TIL that SA didn't go from being a T H I C C damage bonus to a thicc damage bonus. Rather, what happened is that it went from T H I C C to merely flat. I guess I should be happy it was not turned into a flatter bonus. That would have been even more nerd-rage worthy. -Anonymous
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I still think THE problem is : mixing players into one big gigantic mish mash.
    Even the program is having problems scaling with it.

I don't think the programmer has the tools to adjust to the nuances of it all. Too much variance.
    So, the system sets it up as sometimes too easy, and sometimes impossible.
    How are the players to adjust themselves to it....up or down?

You guys are arguing:
    Players at the high end gear need to come down.
    OR players at the lower end gear need to come up.
    But I don't think it would help, so much.

How do players know what to do when there is no consistency?
    The NPC could kill you in one instance...be a cake walk the next? LOL!
    I am even seeing this in solo stuff. It is weird...the program is not right.
    Somewhere.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited November 2018
    Did they need to make this random system: random with Normal, random with Advanced, random with Elite?
    That way the scaling could stay level across the board? Then the system wouldn't be dealing with so much variance. I don't know.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    It's not harder,

It's "more challenging."
    [...]

You dont get it and never will as you still bring in the same arguments as 2 years ago. Cryptic made it clear in October 2014 what they expect from thier players if they want to have a satisfactory game experience in endgame PvE. All this expencive gear (like invincible or whatever) is not there for us to take it easy. Its there for us to increase the expectations we have towards each other and ultimately for ourselves.

Those who do their homework get rewarded as they can freely choose what to do in game and with whom to do it with. Those who don't can't and will end up being upset as others beat them on every battelfield of choice, much like Tune did in your pitiful patrol.

I can and do challenge myself everywhere in game with whatever I do and with everybody I play. That's fun and will keep on being fun!

Sadly you can't and I feel so sorry for you and only bother replying to you because of it.

Yikes that one of the most sanctimonious and elitist posts I've read in a while.

It may surprise you to learn that some people actually play games for this thing called "fun", and being vaped by OP enemies repeatedly, isn't fun. Neither is spending more hours in game than with family friends and/or work just to "grind" the gear at end-game, or spend half their wage to do it easier. I think perhaps most players would like the "option" at least to have a "fun" time, rather than what some call "challenging".

If you want to be an elitist min-maxer, then good for you, but why should your opinion be the only valid one? It seems from my observation in game (and from the thousands of posts similar to this one over the years), that most players don't really think that way, which is yet another reason why the "tougher" TFO's were virtually dead, except for pre-mades, and why it's nigh on impossible to get more than 1 or 2 people in places like the Tzenkethi BZ/TFO's or even the Terran BZ or Iconian TFO's.

The problem (and difficulty for the devs/programmes) is that higher level players, i.e. lvl 65 with good gear/skills, will just run "normal" TFO's to simply grind out daily marks, because ... well .. they don't want a challenge! They purposely spend time and money on the game to feel like a Space God, and the game goes out of it's way - narrative/story wise - to make you feel like one.

Now I'm not saying that there shouldn't be "challenging" games/content - heck some games/companies have made their entire reputation around "challenging" - But that's what the "Elite" TFO's were designed for, but this weird scaling that's been going on since the RTFO system dropped is a major bug, and it does need looking into ... Although I don't know what can be done to fix it (maybe a "gear score" system like they have in NW?)

I'm not sure I do or don't trust Cryptic to resolve it though. Sometime they get stuff right, and other times ... well.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    bendalek wrote: »

Yikes that one of the most sanctimonious and elitist posts I've read in a while.

It may surprise you to learn that some people actually play games for this thing called "fun"

>Calls Pete's (totally reasonable and true, I might add) post "sanctimonious and elitist".
    >Implies that "elitist DPSers" don't play this game for fun.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is real.
    It's not harder,

It's "more challenging."
    [...]

You dont get it and never will as you still bring in the same arguments as 2 years ago.

No, you don't get it. You really don't.

There is no fundamental difference at all between fighting an NPC that does 1,000 points of damage per second with a ship that has 50% resistances and one that does 500 points of damage per second with a ship that has 0% resistances.

It's a con job: You get to buy expensive gear in order to beat artificially inflated foes, but the actual skill you need is not changed. Sure, you need to investigate all the new shiny gear, and be able to judge it, possibly adjust your firing sequence a bit. But in the end, you are playing a mathematically equivalent (or in other words: basically the same) game, just for more money - or time, if you grind it all.
    [...]
    I can and do challenge myself everywhere in game with whatever[...]

So here's a challenge for you: Make a new Jem'Hadar. Don't give him any traits, gear, boffs, or ships that he doesn't start with, and don't upgrade anything!, just play him fresh out of the box at level 60 as if you were on a new account - you can rearrange the gear he starts with between ship and shuttle, though. And queue up for a HSE with four others who do the same challenge. Takes, what, 30 minutes in total to do this from creating the character to playing the HSE until it's over.

Can you beat it? No, of course you cannot. No skill in the world, not even yours (even if it is as high as you say, or higher) will change the math.

Now, take the same team and do HSA. You will find that it feels a lot more tense than HSE with your main captain. I would expect a seasoned player such as yourself to succeed in HSA under such circumstances, though probably not without deaths, and possibly not with all optionals. In the end, you'll see that you could have done better here and there, and maybe work on that. You'll have as much fun as you had with all the gear and additional specialization points.

And then you will have really gotten the meaning my above remark. All for maybe an hour of game time.

For as long as the conditions on a map stay the same the outcome if it is already decided b4 you enter. You can force some excitement out of not knowing what team you get and of course you can borderline edge it by gimping yourself when you do but it wont matter as far as the outcome is concerned. All my 12 toons, including my latest jemi had to learn that lesson.

You can keep on running in circles about this topic faster and faster but it will not help you break the loop. If all you contribute to the excitment of others at the danger of devaluing this forum as a whole for some.

This makes me even more sad but I cannot change it anyway it seems. ;)
    animated.gif

It may surprise you to learn that some people actually play games for this thing called "fun"

>Calls Pete's (totally reasonable and true, I might add) post "sanctimonious and elitist".
    >Implies that "elitist DPSers" don't play this game for fun.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is real.

:D
    animated.gif
    edited November 2018
    It's not harder,

It's "more challenging."
    [...]

I can and do challenge myself everywhere in game with whatever I do and with everybody I play. That's fun and will keep on being fun!

It may surprise you to learn that some people actually play games for this thing called "fun", and being vaped by OP enemies repeatedly, isn't fun. Neither is spending more hours in game than with family friends and/or work just to "grind" the gear at end-game, or spend half their wage to do it easier. I think perhaps most players would like the "option" at least to have a "fun" time, rather than what some call "challenging".

If you want to be an elitist min-maxer, then good for you, but why should your opinion be the only valid one? It seems from my observation in game (and from the thousands of posts similar to this one over the years), that most players don't really think that way, which is yet another reason why the "tougher" TFO's were virtually dead, except for pre-mades, and why it's nigh on impossible to get more than 1 or 2 people in places like the Tzenkethi BZ/TFO's or even the Terran BZ or Iconian TFO's.

The problem (and difficulty for the devs/programmes) is that higher level players, i.e. lvl 65 with good gear/skills, will just run "normal" TFO's to simply grind out daily marks, because ... well .. they don't want a challenge! They purposely spend time and money on the game to feel like a Space God, and the game goes out of it's way - narrative/story wise - to make you feel like one.

Now I'm not saying that there shouldn't be "challenging" games/content - heck some games/companies have made their entire reputation around "challenging" - But that's what the "Elite" TFO's were designed for, but this weird scaling that's been going on since the RTFO system dropped is a major bug, and it does need looking into ... Although I don't know what can be done to fix it (maybe a "gear score" system like they have in NW?)

I'm not sure I do or don't trust Cryptic to resolve it though. Sometime they get stuff right, and other times ... well.

Thank you for judging me, I feel sorry for the creepy in game experiences you make too.
    animated.gif
    edited November 2018
    It's not harder,

It's "more challenging."
    [...]

You dont get it and never will as you still bring in the same arguments as 2 years ago.

No, you don't get it. You really don't.

There is no fundamental difference at all between fighting an NPC that does 1,000 points of damage per second with a ship that has 50% resistances and one that does 500 points of damage per second with a ship that has 0% resistances.

It's a con job: You get to buy expensive gear in order to beat artificially inflated foes, but the actual skill you need is not changed. Sure, you need to investigate all the new shiny gear, and be able to judge it, possibly adjust your firing sequence a bit. But in the end, you are playing a mathematically equivalent (or in other words: basically the same) game, just for more money - or time, if you grind it all.
    [...]
    I can and do challenge myself everywhere in game with whatever[...]

So here's a challenge for you: Make a new Jem'Hadar. Don't give him any traits, gear, boffs, or ships that he doesn't start with, and don't upgrade anything!, just play him fresh out of the box at level 60 as if you were on a new account - you can rearrange the gear he starts with between ship and shuttle, though. And queue up for a HSE with four others who do the same challenge. Takes, what, 30 minutes in total to do this from creating the character to playing the HSE until it's over.

Can you beat it? No, of course you cannot. No skill in the world, not even yours (even if it is as high as you say, or higher) will change the math.

Now, take the same team and do HSA. You will find that it feels a lot more tense than HSE with your main captain. I would expect a seasoned player such as yourself to succeed in HSA under such circumstances, though probably not without deaths, and possibly not with all optionals. In the end, you'll see that you could have done better here and there, and maybe work on that. You'll have as much fun as you had with all the gear and additional specialization points.

And then you will have really gotten the meaning my above remark. All for maybe an hour of game time.

For as long as the conditions on a map stay the same the outcome if it is already decided b4 you enter [...]

Don't give me platitudes, try the challenge I proposed. :)

I'm sure you mean well but I have learned to set the challanges to overcome in this game for myself the past 7 years. I will keep on doing so and judging so far I managed to uphold the fun even after all those years.

Keep on setting the right ones for yourself and try to do the same or you eventualy loose by not having fun. ;)
    animated.gif
    edited November 2018

When Cryptic gets my money, it's as an acknowledgement for having done a good job at entertaining me, not for some powercreep noise. :p

What I like best at our chats here is when we at times reach a point where we agree to a 100% on something. Does not happen often, but at times. :)
    animated.gif
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    @sophlogimo You're just not listening to people here.

You keep banging on about gear this and gear that and seem to act as if the only thing that affects performance is what shiny toys people are playing with. How hard is it to see that SKILL and PLAYER ABILITY has a huge affect on performance?!?!?

Let me give you a current example:

Right now in game i'm trying out the energy build that is in @tunebreaker 's signature. I've got 90% of the gear (though not at top end rarity yet) and guess what.....i'm utterly TRIBBLE compared to him.
    If gear was all that mattered then surely i'd be getting the 100k+ DPS scores in ISA that i know he's managed with said build, but i'm not. And it's because i'm not as skilled at flying, at ability activation, at reading the battlefield as he is.
    So skill absolutely is a massive part of the game, and it has a huge affect on how well you do with any given situation and build. I'd imagine at least 40% of the performance of a build is down to skill alone.

So please stop banging on about gear all the time.
    SulMatuul.png
    edited November 2018
    [...]
    I'm sure you mean well but I have learned to set the challanges to overcome in this game for myself the past 7 years. I will keep on doing so and judging so far I managed to uphold the fun even after all those years.

Well, if you wanted to understand what my remark was about, that would be a way.
    Keep on setting the right ones for yourself and try to do the same or you eventualy loose by not having fun. ;)

I am having fun - just for a lot less money. :smiley: When Cryptic gets my money, it's as an acknowledgement for having done a good job at entertaining me, not for some powercreep noise. :p

When Cryptic gets my money, it's as an acknowledgement for having done a good job at entertaining me, not for some powercreep noise. :p

What I like best at our chats here is when we at times reach a point where we agree to a 100% on something. Does not happen often, but at times. :)

Oh and as for the fun part and u having it in game, I think it would help a lot if you focus more on on carying it here to the forums.

You know, as in live up to your signature, just a bit. ;)
    animated.gif
    I think everyone plays games for fun.

It is just the definition of "fun" that is different for "Elite Level Min Maxers" or "Normal Level Casual" or "Advanced Level Dedicated Video Gamer".

I don't think it is needed to change players as much as it is to adjust this game to fit.
    Cryptic doesn't have it right, yet. And they are not being clear...it is all muddled up.

They seem stuck on Normal being the same attitude player as Advanced.
    And Advanced player is the same mind set as Elite. They are not.

But there is such a huge gap in there at what each will find as fun.
    It is obvious from listening to people brow beat each other in the forums and in the game.

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    snip

No i'm not going to go and make a new toon just for your silly challenge. It's clear as day to anyone with any common sense that skill absolutely plays a part in the game and how powerful you are.
    Give a play a million Zen worth of gear and ships and he still won't be as good as someone who has studied all the nitty gritty mechanics and learnt to use that same gear perfectly with pin-point accuracy.

If you cannot see that then i think you're looking at the game through some very oddly tinted glasses my friend. Because the same situation occurs in literally all areas of life. Doesn't matter how much gear someone has for their hobby or career, those with better skill will probably always outdo them.
    Or are you suggesting if we gave both you and Lewis Hamilton the exact same F1 car you'd both be driving at the same standard? Utter nonsense....
    SulMatuul.png
  • alzleealzlee Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Great post @alcaatraz
    Pretty much how i finally came along myself following neela's build when it was the NX back then.

I was already 70% geared like it at the time parsing often and experimenting and before i knew it numbers starting coming along.

The only way i can do higher is by joining dps runs more often but i can't help it i love pugging after all #puglivesmatter :D
    edited November 2018
    alzlee wrote: »
    Great post @alcaatraz
    Pretty much how i finally came along myself following neela's build when it was the NX back then.

I was already 70% geared like it at the time parsing often and experimenting and before i knew it numbers starting coming along.

The only way i can do higher is by joining dps runs more often but i can't help it i love pugging after all #puglivesmatter :D

Hey thanks for posting mate. I'm telling ya, you and Jay are too good for this place but Neela loves you! B)
    animated.gif
  • pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    @sophlogimo You're just not listening to people here.

You keep banging on about gear this and gear that and seem to act as if the only thing that affects performance is what shiny toys people are playing with. How hard is it to see that SKILL and PLAYER ABILITY has a huge affect on performance?!?!?

Prove me wrong. Do the challenge:

> refuses to do even a three-minute ISA just to get a sensible comparison to all of the high-end DPS numbers he's whining about

>insists that everyone else conduct an elaborate test of his choosing to prove water is wet
    I will buy that your skill is the deciding factor here as soon as you have 100% of his gear (including traits), at the same Mk XV Epic that he has, and vastly underperform compared to him. If you could be so kind, would you then do a Sakari System Patrol Elite (keep the cores to yourself for maximum target-richness) and tell me your DPS?

What's funny about this is that it reveals how little you know. Sci/torp builds are notoriously cheap and easy to build precisely because gear matters much less on them than it does on weapon builds. The difference between a sci/torp build with mk12 purple gear and one with mk XV epics might be a few dozen points of EPG. Even the weapon upgrades don't matter much, as the bulk of your weapons' contribution on such a build comes from the PEP cloud and Gravimetric Rifts, neither of which cares about rarity upgrades, and IIRC only the PEP cloud cares about weapon mark. And unlike weapon builds, sci/torp builds don't have a large selection of spectacularly good ship traits.

This is why I have five alts with those builds; all of them can perform at a six-figure level, even the ones in which I have almost zero investment. In attempting to own the elitists, you've proven you don't understand the mechanics.

More generally, though, and again, no one ever said that gear doesn't matter. We said that gear interacts with skill, and particularly that people at the extreme low end have no idea how to play because the game doesn't teach them. Everyone knows that's true, except for the willfully contrarian. Given that we've spent so much time trying and failing to have a good-faith conversation with you - and given that you're just a random internet malcontent who apparently thinks that STO should discard half of what makes it an MMO in the first place - why should anyone bother trying to prove anything to you at this point?

The numbers speak for themselves. Why is it that only a couple dozen people can score consistently over 200k in, say, a left-to-right ISA? Do you really believe that only a couple dozen people, out of tens of thousands, have great gear? Why is it that certain people, irrespective of the build they use, can't crack 20k? Could it be that they don't understand keybinds/ability rotations and positioning? I've countless hours tutoring people like that - people who had literally copied high end builds from our subreddit and couldn't figure out how to use them.

Nah, it's all the gear, because sophlogimo is desperate to prove his point. I'm happy to concede that it doesn't take super-elite e-sport-tier gamer skills to achieve high-end STO performance. If I can learn how to do it, anyone can. But it takes time, and practice, and you have to know not just how to acquire gear, but also how gear, boff skills, timing, and positioning fit together to form a coherent whole. I'd be happy to help you out if you wanted to improve, but you don't want to improve; you just want to TRIBBLE on everyone who's better than you are at this silly game.

Anyway, on a happier subject, great post Jay. :D
This discussion has been closed.