test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Boosts before or after activation?

rednecktrekrednecktrek Member Posts: 13 Arc User
For example: If I want to use Exotic Flood to boost my Gravity Well do I have to use the boost before I activate the power? Can I activate the power and then use the boost?

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I always hit the boost before...and watch the power levels before activating stuff. You know in the power bar.

So, not really sure if boosting power levels after deployment, does anything for stuff activated already.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    In this case, since the boost directly effects a single shot ability, the answer would be before activating the ability.

I had a variant of your question - does it matter if you activate BFAW/CSV/CRF before APB? All the beam and cannon abilities (aside from BO) have a duration, so I'm guessing it doesn't really matter.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    None of those abilities or boosts last that long....may as well get it for the duration than after the fact, any ways.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »
    I had a variant of your question - does it matter if you activate BFAW/CSV/CRF before APB? All the beam and cannon abilities (aside from BO) have a duration, so I'm guessing it doesn't really matter.
    APB should be activated first, since APB is for some reason very laggy, and while it is lagging up the game your FAW/CSV timer would burn down. In contrast, FAW and CSV are much more responsive, activating pretty much instantly on click. Very strange, really.

I have noticed this too.. unlike a lot of abilities there seems to be a small gap between activating an Attack Pattern and when it actually fires off. For this reason, usually when I do my 'rotation' I do the pattern 1st followed by EPTX, Kemocite if applicable, and then Scatter Volley/FAW.

For this case, as said before.. you want to activate the boost before the Gravity Well.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    APB should be activated first, since APB is for some reason very laggy, and while it is lagging up the game your FAW/CSV timer would burn down. In contrast, FAW and CSV are much more responsive, activating pretty much instantly on click. Very strange, really.
    I have noticed this too.. unlike a lot of abilities there seems to be a small gap between activating an Attack Pattern and when it actually fires off. For this reason, usually when I do my 'rotation' I do the pattern 1st followed by EPTX, Kemocite if applicable, and then Scatter Volley/FAW.

For this case, as said before.. you want to activate the boost before the Gravity Well.
    Thanks guys. Am keeping a more watchful eye on ability activation time and oddly yes APB is slower. Strange indeed.
  • alcaatrazalcaatraz Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    For example: If I want to use Exotic Flood to boost my Gravity Well do I have to use the boost before I activate the power? Can I activate the power and then use the boost?
    In this case, since the boost directly effects a single shot ability, the answer would be before activating the ability.

Couple of neat things here:

Anomaly Damage

Anomalies have a few interesting effects. For one, they are all fixed damage for duration on cast. Anomalies in this case are GW, SSV, TR, ect. There's a few temporal effects in here as well from temporal BOff skills, and also includes the PEP and Grav Torp effects.

Additionally, you can usually tell its an anomaly because if the first hit of damage is a critical, all will be critical.

Finally, any additional effects that are not damage based that scale will scale. For GW this means that since the Pull component scales with Aux, if your aux nosedives during the period GW is up the pull will as well.
    • Sidenote: there's a few drain powers which don't scale with aux, such as Energy Siphon, but like anomalies its drain is fixed on cast, so if you crank up the DrainX while ES is active it will have no additional effect.

APB

APB is neat as well, since it would be what you can consider a refreshing debuff. What happens is that each hit reapply's the debuff, so when the effect ends on your weapons you have the duration of the debuff still ticking on the target (which if you want to find the uptime its the duration APB is active (10s) plus the length the debuff lasts (5s), which means that if the target with the APB debuff doesn't die, you can get 100% uptime (min CD is 15s).

In terms of order I generally use it first to get the full benefit during my weapon enhancement (just to amplify the effects), since these last 10s (unless you have the extension traits, which then you generally get the 15s duration).
    --- @alcaatraz || I make tanks and do maths stuffs ---
    "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    alcaatraz wrote: »
    Finally, any additional effects that are not damage based that scale will scale. For GW this means that since the Pull component scales with Aux, if your aux nosedives during the period GW is up the pull will as well.

This is quite interesting because i always assumed an anomaly was based off your power level when cast, but after that the two were un-linked. So what you're saying is that my Aux level still affects the thing even when it's already cast and is already active? That seems a bizarre system and doesn't really make much logical sense, your ship isn't really actively pumping energy into that anomaly after all, it's a fire n' forget thing.
    SulMatuul.png
  • alcaatrazalcaatraz Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    alcaatraz wrote: »

This is quite interesting because i always assumed an anomaly was based off your power level when cast, but after that the two were un-linked. So what you're saying is that my Aux level still affects the thing even when it's already cast and is already active? That seems a bizarre system and doesn't really make much logical sense, your ship isn't really actively pumping energy into that anomaly after all, it's a fire n' forget thing.

It doesn't really no, and It might be a bug, but there's no literature as to what should be vs what is.
    --- @alcaatraz || I make tanks and do maths stuffs ---
    "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    For this reason, usually when I do my 'rotation' I do the pattern 1st followed by EPTX, Kemocite if applicable, and then Scatter Volley/FAW.
    FAW should ideally be activated before Kemocide, but since both powers are very responsive, it's not really a big deal either way and it's unlikely a weapon will try to fire itself between them. However, if FAW/CSV is not up and a weapon goes off, that full weapon cycle is completely wasted, whereas if Kemocide is not up, the weapon will still gain Kemocide for shots afterwards.

Good point, I'll change that up. Thanks.
    Insert witty signature line here.