test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WHAT HAPPENED to Discovery phasers!???

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    Is it weird i got turned on by strobing beams ? man I'm sick

But yes OP is right i loved the DISCO beams when they first came out and then something happened like really? they look like big blobs now but i do like the impact effects and also when the shields drop the explosion effects and chunks that fall off but the chunks looks weird when you shoot at a shuttle or small ship
    GwaoHAD.png
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Patch notes for 10/16:
    • Discovery weapons now use Discovery Era vaporization effects.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • chanfron66chanfron66 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    While they're not accurate for the show, I like them.

I was actually wondering how to keep using them on my disco alt as I level. I want to keep him in disco ships using those phasers.

You can replay the Downfall mission to get some uncommon ones with dmg mod and the mission scales when you rank up, they are phasers only and not emitter/sensor linked like the lock box ones but they have the Disco look.
    They are account bound and seem to be only available on Disco toons as they don't show as a reward on my 24th Century Tac
    • Soft Tribble Warm Tribble, Little ball of fur, Happy Tribble, Sleepy Tribble, Purr Purr Purr
    • Hard Gorny, Cold Gorny, Big Ball of Scales, Angry Gorny, Fighty Gorny, Hiss, Hiss Hisssss
    • History will never forget the name "InvalidEntityName"
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I want to say that the new update today did NOT fix Discovery Ship Phasers and Disruptors.

Someone here said "I didn't spend a ton of resources to make my discovery weapons epic for this", and I completely concur. I just played for an hour with my new Nimitz class decked out with epic Disco phasers and they look so off!!!

I have to hope the Dev's have seen this and/or are aware of this issue by now and will be fixing it.

Give us back the original Discovery Ship weapons graphics PLEASE!
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    Patch notes for 10/16:
    • Discovery weapons now use Discovery Era vaporization effects.

Space weapons (apart from the borg torpedo) don't gib; this sounds like it means ground weapons.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    True that the note didn't specify ground or space. I read that and was hopeful.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    True that the note didn't specify ground or space. I read that and was hopeful.

Seeing how targets in space don't get vaporized...
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Btw anyone noticed that the beams become totally weird and stretched when you miss the targets?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Btw anyone noticed that the beams become totally weird and stretched when you miss the targets?

i see that a lot and that includes when i am moving the camera around while they are firing.

on a seperate note: the discovery weapons from the starter pack walker prototype aren't upgradable still despite the patch log saying it was fixed.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I think they were referring to the malachowski’s phasers, not the prototype walker’s phasers. Originally it had the UI element to upgrade them but you couldn’t actually upgrade them. Supposedly that’s what they fixed.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Cryptic should of been more specific then, otherwise how would either one of us know specifically what they referring to?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    I'm using the emitter-linked disruptors, when I used them on the arbiter they shoot like big blobs but on any other ship they look ok, I'm not sure how they used to look because I only started using them after AoD released
    kurzis wrote: »
    I'm using the emitter-linked disruptors, when I used them on the arbiter they shoot like big blobs but on any other ship they look ok, I'm not sure how they used to look because I only started using them after AoD released

They looked almost exactly like on the show before the AoD update. Now they look horrible. I think it's a mistake. They will fix them I hope!
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Well, seeing these Disco phasers in action with the tutorial and Disco starter pack's ship + weapons, and comparing them to old youtube videos of these weapons, it's pretty crazy how off these things are now in appearance. Before it looked pretty close to the TV show but now they're all wrong. The Beam Arrays are the worst offenders.
    XzRTofz.gif
    Well, seeing these Disco phasers in action with the tutorial and Disco starter pack's ship + weapons, and comparing them to old youtube videos of these weapons, it's pretty crazy how off these things are now in appearance. Before it looked pretty close to the TV show but now they're all wrong. The Beam Arrays are the worst offenders.

You are absolutely right!!! It's ridiculously off. And still no word on fixing them, meanwhile they bothered to fix the lead concerning thing which is the vaporization effect for ground disco phasers
  • michaelsdstmichaelsdst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    I liked the old ones better too and I am very annoyed because I have leveled a whole set. Fix it Cryptic, please!
    GIVE US THE TYPHOON! Enough said...
    I liked the old ones better too and I am very annoyed because I have leveled a whole set. Fix it Cryptic, please!

Thank you Michael! It's like the first time in Forum history that practically everyone who understands this post agrees! The two comments that didn't really contribute hadn't seen the before and after and probably don't even watch the shows. All of us agree! I tried playing last night and the horrible discovery ship phaser graphics just turned me off and I had to exit mid mission. Sounds so stupid but it really bothers me! Just breaks immersion and they did such a good job with the music and voice acting and ships and interiors, why would they ruin the ship phasers!???
  • shren#1472 shren Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I am very disappointed by this as well this needs to change back.
    " Live Long And Assimilate "
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I've been reading thru this thread and I'm not shure what is going on but I looked up a vid from feb showing the disco phasers and a vid from the show and both look like mine. I don't know if there is some setting like bloom or something else. I would post a vid or something but Im not good with that sort of thing, sorry.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I know whats wrong!!… the Discovery phasers are using the Vaadwaur animation!!, they are the same, just retinted, i knew i found them similar to something else!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXGS6CLjqfI

The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    mine are closer to the fast 2nd video but not quite that fast, but they are way faster than the first video. Maybe it's a graphics settings issue?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    It has to be some kind of graphic thing going on, mine are identical to the second video. For reference my card is a 1060 gtx, and the game is on max settings except for bloom.
  • michaelsdstmichaelsdst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    The problem get more and more mysterious.....
    GIVE US THE TYPHOON! Enough said...
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Oh...thanks for the videos @gaevsman I was looking at You Tube videos and couldn't figure it out. Now, I can see the difference.

And one does have longer segmented "bursts" than the other...the shorter "bursts" multiple times, look nicer.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    I don't think it's a graphics card issue. If you think the Disco phasers now look like they did before the release of AoD, then perhaps you don't have a very artistic eye (no offense!! it's okay not everyone is as aware of subtle aesthetics.)

The Discovery Phasers and Disruptors on ships are nothing like they used to be before AoD and don't look anything like the show now. I am tired of repeating myself.

I have been patient and reading all of the update logs but now I'm starting to get a bit upset that the Devs have not even acknowledged this. Having the wrong vapourization effect for a ground weapon, or a typo in the arena of sompek is one thing- but this DRASTIC alteration of a brand new Ship Weapon graphic, which many of us spent significant resources and real money in some cases to upgrade to epic status, is a pretty big blow.

I have literally not been able to sign on and play because everytime I see my discovery phasers looking as ridiculous as they do now, I am completely broken out of immersion. I feel like a kid whose Oreo cookies have been replaced with a cheap knock off that tastes nothing like oreos.

I did want to say though, I do love the ground phasers. The discovery ground weapons are great and look a lot like the show.

Where's Taco Fangs when you need him!???

Can someone from the staff just tell us what's going on with the change in Disco Phaser Graphics?
    Are you guys upstairs aware of it and is there any talk of returning them back to the way they were before the AoD update?

• alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Actually what I really want to know is what happened to the Discovery Phaser and Disruptor CANNONS from day 1. They look like discovery torpedoes rather than any kind of cannons seen in the show.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,823 Arc User

Yes, and I came here wondering if perhaps it affects all weapons...but it's just more noticeable on Discovery Phasers since they're pulses on a beam weapon.

Like all beams were subtly affected in ways but since beams are well...beams and not pulses you just don't really notice any difference except with the missing being really different.
  • rickvic#6033 rickvic Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    I must say i also liked the old ones more. On the other hand the green versions now look nice on TNG Klingon /Romulan Sjips (they remind me of the effects in Nemesis)

But I would also prefer a change to the old version. I have also spend a lot of time and resources to upgrade them and now they are just dump

BTW, will we ever get proper TwoK Phasers ?

And did they add DSC Torpedoes with the update ? I played the first time today after 2 month
This discussion has been closed.