test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ultimate Upgrades

ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
Every now and then there is a sale for a pack of 20 Keys and an "Ultimate Upgrade" that upgrades an item to max level and max quality.

I buy these when I have the Zen available.

Well, I used to. Because if a expansion is going to invalidate them by making me have to upgrade my items again, what the hell!? I don't think that ultimate upgrades should be the kind of item you have to worry about using "too soon".

Right now I am working on re-upgrading my supposedly "max" level items rather than upgrading items I needed/wanted to try other builds and its very annoying and making me somewhat disinclined to spend Zen on keys again.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    What on earth are you talking about?

An ultimate upgrades an item to Mark XV Epic, this upgrade is permanent.

You cannot use an Ultimate 'too soon' and the upgrade does not just go away. The item is permanently upgraded and cannot be upgraded further.

I believe there are one or two items that only go to Mark XIV, I don't know if that has been fixed, but the most you would ever have to do is go up one rank.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    That's odd. The one item I had upgraded with one to Epic XIV upgraded to Epic XV after the expansion for free. I mean, I still had to upgrade it, but it didn't cost any upgrades.
  • Options
    ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    discojer wrote: »
    That's odd. The one item I had upgraded with one to Epic XIV upgraded to Epic XV after the expansion for free. I mean, I still had to upgrade it, but it didn't cost any upgrades.

Had you, perhaps, upgraded that item a bit before applying the ultimate upgrade? The ultimate upgrades seems to apply exactly enough points to take an item from its base to the existing max, so any extra points you had accumulated from upgrades act as an invisible pool.

At least, most of my items are exactly XIV, but a few of the earlier items I 'think' I had started upgrading are partially on the way to XV.
  • Options
    If it only took the item to Mark XIV Epic then just bite the bullet, use a couple kits and be done with it.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    What on earth are you talking about?

An ultimate upgrades an item to Mark XV Epic, this upgrade is permanent.

You cannot use an Ultimate 'too soon' and the upgrade does not just go away. The item is permanently upgraded and cannot be upgraded further.

I believe there are one or two items that only go to Mark XIV, I don't know if that has been fixed, but the most you would ever have to do is go up one rank.

I think the OP means, that, while 'the upgrade does not just go away,' the item will stay at its current upgraded level (presumably, Mk XIV, in the OP's case). So, came Mk XV, he/she had to upgrade it once again.

His/her position isn't all that reasonable, though. An Ultimate does exactly what it says it does: it will upgrade an item to the current ultimate rank and rarity. It doesn't come with a 'And all future Mark increases included' guarantee. As pointed out in this thread already, though, you're often dealing with a (massive) TP overflow on an Epic item to begin with (especially on a crit); and, in fact, many items, upon slotting them for upgrade, went immediately to Mk XV, back when, as a result.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    His/her position isn't all that reasonable, though. An Ultimate does exactly what it says it does: it will upgrade an item to the current ultimate rank and rarity. It doesn't come with a 'And all future Mark increases included' guarantee.

Yeah, this is a far more eloquent way of explaining my point.

I get it, it's a bummer because there is a new max, but it's just not a battle worth fighting. It takes a few kits to get it to the new max and the item is still Epic. Should the maximum rank ever increase past Mark XV (let's hope it doesn't) we're all going to have to do it again.

• Options
    michaelsdstmichaelsdst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    I donot mind that. The big cost, at least for now, is the quality increase. Leveling is relatively cheap.
    GIVE US THE TYPHOON! Enough said...
This discussion has been closed.