test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blind Invite

There was a very very good movie that came out in 95, Nature of the Beast (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113939/), If you get a chance to watch it, do so, you won't be sorry.

Now, I can tell you this much without spoiling it, one guy is a serial killer and the other is a bank robber... you learn this at the start of the movie.

When I get a blind fleet invite I wonder if I am the serial killer or the bank robber in this moment. It always takes me awhile to decline the invite, especially since the social panel isn't working, because I come here and look to see what the fleet has to offer or if I am food for their machine.

I have no interest in being food for any machine and since Foundry is offline as well, it's a little trickier for me to hunt out a fleet I want to be a part of.

As for blind invites, I am pretty tired of researching them and wonder why, since I get a lot of them, people don't just send me a letter.

Didja know that you can mail yourself letters? You could, in theory, make a nice, concise and tidy letter and mail it to yourself and then C/P that to a potential recruit.

I've played for a little while, bought a LTM because the foundry is coooool! But it has proven difficult for me to find the right fleet and the blind invite just isn't doing it for me.

The Monster Fleets are a bit overwhelming, I am impressed by their websites, information and so on, but it usually looks like I'll be food for that machine or the idea of me "applying" just irks me. The application process seems to be a way to pigeon hole people into some type of commodity.

That brings us to Teamspeak, Discord, etc... the "voice" requirement is always a stop sign for me and means that the powers that be have no use/interest in having someone that is hearing impaired in their fleet. Had an interesting convo with someone the other day about that and they just didn't understand that having a voice app does no good when it is running in the background and you cannot "hear" it ping a notice in the first place. The game has it's own communication feature and if those of you that have the gift of hearing will mute your programs you'd be amazed at just how quickly you adapt to reading and typing.

So it comes down this... don't blind invite, send a letter. That gives someone like me to look at what you are offering, to see if I am qualified to fill the role you want/need me in and it allows me the ability to look over your SM and see if you are a good fit for me. ATM I spend a lot of time playing because Foundry is down, but once it comes back I'll spend more time creating than anything else.

Comments

• solonar#0525 solonar Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    The blind fleet invites are pretty ridiculous. Despite there being a fair about of activity and players running around, the social aspect of this game feels broken, so I can understand why people would shotgun invites out. If they are going to utilize this method they could at least be a little creative with their fleet naming protocol. I can't count how many alpha delta beta omega strikeforce federation team imperial squad platoon armada etc I see. Ofcourse, my background goes back to the old school early 90's aol, compuserve, newsgroups, bulliten board roleplayer chat rooms. Our friend has a good reason to request letters, but in this day in age, I'd even find a character who ran up to me in the First City on Qu'nos whispering in local to be semi convincing. Either way friend, I have a very small fleet with several friends I met playing ultima online in the 90's. We're called Smugglers Syndicate. If you're interested in the occasional bit of team play with out strict adherence to the prime directive, or anything else that cuts into your ability to make some profit, send me an encrypted note on known subspace frequencies at Solok Drag'r@solonar#0525.

PS: Assuming that your name is a Battletech/Mechwarrior reference, you might enjoy the reference in my sig. Something I gladly craft for all fleet members.
    sig111_zpsu4di8nom.jpg
    Society of Shadows 18 year Member
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I will make it easy for you.. you no longer need to do research.

Any fleet that would just spam blind invites isn't worth your time.. decline them all. These fleets know nothing about you, they don't know what you're looking for or what you want from a fleet and obviously they don't care. Most of them just want drones to fill their coffers and that's not how a real community is built.

Real fleets post their info, what they offer, what they expect and invite you to contact them if it sounds good to you. Alternatively, they reach out to you after finding out what it is you're looking for and what makes a good fit for you. Blind invites are just the desperate attempts of those that care about nothing but raw numbers. Fleets should be about more then just raw numbers, they should have some substance to them. You don't get that by just blindly inviting anyone.

If you're looking for a fleet that's more about playing together and having a place to chat or get help with game stuff, let me know or contact Solonar, his fleet sounds great too. I am part of Omega Combat Division and we just like to play content together, chat in our channel on occasion and just have fun. We don't do all the silly games that a lot of other fleets do, no one has time for all that.

Whatever you do, rather it's one of us or neither.. don't waste your time with blind invites. The fact that they spammed you with an unsolicited invite is all the research you need to do. :wink:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    Also, put the blind inviters on /ignore. Their fleet-mates might try to invite you, but each specific account that you block won't be able to, anymore.
  • solonar#0525 solonar Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Young_ones_bambi.jpg
    sig111_zpsu4di8nom.jpg
    Society of Shadows 18 year Member
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I never accept that sort of blind fleet invite. I think it's rude from whoever is sending them, and there's no way I want to have any sort of relation with that kind of player. That also goes for blind friend invites. If I don't know who's sending the request, I have no reason to answer positively, and i'll just systematically put said person on ignore.
  • nightpick#1961 nightpick Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    I never accept that sort of blind fleet invite. I think it's rude from whoever is sending them, and there's no way I want to have any sort of relation with that kind of player. That also goes for blind friend invites. If I don't know who's sending the request, I have no reason to answer positively, and i'll just systematically put said person on ignore.
    im old school so i can agree on this, for me its just a way to know which ones not to join
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    No, no. Always accept all invites. Check and see if they have valuables! I've gotten good loot this way, either by swiping all unsecured valuables, or simply camping the fleet until they all die and then taking over.

And here I thought that I was the only one to help myself to some convenient loot before escaping!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,292 Community Moderator
    Necro. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.