test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dominion ship wingmen need polaron damage?

dykerasdykeras Member Posts: 326 Arc User
I'm thinking of investing in a Dominion Vanguard ship for my Tac char but I have read that the special ship ability (the two wingmen) use and benefit from polaron damage consoles?

If so, it seems it would be mostly viable to use polaron consoles on the ships.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Polaron is in a pretty good spot even without Wingmen being involved. With the set from the mission Home, Polaron is actually one of the top energy damage types now, making it way more useful than merely 'viable'.

The Wingmen still deal decent damage without additional Polaron buffs, if used offensively, so if you feel like using something else it's still fine. I ran Disruptor weapons on one just fine, and am actively considering making a JHV Carrier into a EPG torp boat.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    That is the Endeavor tonight, isn't it? Polaron Damage?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    That is the Endeavor tonight, isn't it? Polaron Damage?

The Wingmen count for it, if it is Polaron today. Hangar pets and abilities do too (I've gotten the Tetryon one using the Reputation active from Nukara).
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I dont know anybody who used polaron for the sole purpose of buffing up the wigmen. If it works it must be in a realm so minor that it does not outdo what other pets usualy do for you (and those cant be buffed if not broken). For max DPS you go to the more favored energy types rather.

@tunebreaker pointed out on reddit that Phaser is the top choice for energy types with the dawn of T6 reps and my friends from the league agree. While Disruptor is a close second, Plasma and Polaron should share a third place as far as I can tell. Especially Polaron has some fun and effective sets around. I make good use of them, independent of the ship or its pets I end up using.

In short, take Polaron if you like, just don’t take it because of the pets.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Wingmen's strafing ability counts as player ability, and hence is boosted by +polaron. That's the only part, but it also counts for what, 80% of their damage? So it can make a noticeable difference in their damage output, however it's not that significant that you should tailor your build around it.

As others said, polaron is in a very good spot atm, and for average player, the differences between damage types are not very nuanced in general, so if you'd like to use polaron, absolutely, but don't make it a necessity to yourself.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I should go get that Endeavor prize using that Jem'hadar I got sitting catching dust, today. If that is still up.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The damage endeavours are laughably easy.

Pop beam overload with coordinated assault trait and pets will often trigger the box reward on the first volley of shots.

The wingmen don't gain from that trait but if you gather a clump of enemies with grav well and tell them to strafe it the outcome is similar. The further away you are the better as they start the run from you're position so max range means a longer strafe.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Pop beam overload with coordinated assault trait and pets will often trigger the box reward on the first volley of shots.

The wingmen don't gain from that trait but if you gather a clump of enemies with grav well and tell them to strafe it the outcome is similar. The further away you are the better as they start the run from you're position so max range means a longer strafe.
    All I've ever done for damage Endeavors is pick a toon with something of that type available. It pops on its own never have to pay attention. It's a joke of an Endeavor.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I've done something similar where I have ships or alts specifically for a damage endeavour depending on the account. Rest of the time they're mothballed until a dil weekend or something like winter where they can doff me up some currency.

LTS has more alts to pull from so less faffing about making sure the game has slotted the correct stuff on ship swapping.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

All I've ever done for damage Endeavors is pick a toon with something of that type available. It pops on its own never have to pay attention. It's a joke of an Endeavor.

Yeah, I think it's mostly just to encourage people to play other energy types.
    (not a problem for me, between all my alts I have all the energy types represented.)
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Wait!, the wingmans can be buffed with anything that buff polaron damage??, cool!!, i have a lot of sets that do that, but didnt knew i can use them on that!!… ok, rebuild time!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
This discussion has been closed.