test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Battle at the Binary Stars

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Experience one of the most painful battles in Federation history, in our first ever Featured Task Force Operation. The Battle at the Binary Stars launches this month on PC!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11012953

Comments

• stoyozstoyoz Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    I will be forced into a random (potentially displeasing looking) ship? Why? I don't like it.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    stoyoz wrote: »
    I will be forced into a random (potentially displeasing looking) ship? Why? I don't like it.

No - your ship will be camouflaged as some other (maybe random looking) ship.

Edit:
    Is there some hard info if that gadget reward is account unlock?
    (I know it propably will be, like last couple of times, but there is no hard info in the blog)
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    So what exactly does this Beacon of Khaless do?

Other than demonstrating why windows on the bridge are dumb, I mean.
    saber1973a wrote: »
    stoyoz wrote: »

No - your ship will be camouflaged as some other (maybe random looking) ship.

Yes. And I fly my ship mostly because of their looks, ie. how I customized them etc. That is why I feel them mine. So, as I said, I will be forced into another ship if I play this TFO.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    lnblade wrote: »
    So what exactly does this Beacon of Khaless do?

Other than demonstrating why windows on the bridge are dumb, I mean.

From the blog:
    ...blinds and placates your enemies. Then a small group of Klingon ships will warp into the system, answering the Beacon’s call and coming to your aid.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    That's an odd way to go about it. Forced holoemitters for everyone to adhere to an aesthetic, and to downplay "I'm Klingon, why am I fighting on the Fed's side?". Still going to be odd having a random Discovery Fed ship launch House Mo'kai fighters from it. Also, ships are not exactly cheap things, and with rare exceptions I like actually seeing my ship.
    tom61sto wrote: »
    That's an odd way to go about it. Forced holoemitters for everyone to adhere to an aesthetic, and to downplay "I'm Klingon, why am I fighting on the Fed's side?". Still going to be odd having a random Discovery Fed ship launch House Mo'kai fighters from it. Also, ships are not exactly cheap things, and with rare exceptions I like actually seeing my ship.

Exactly.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    So we go from summoning pirates to pilot ships to summoning bugs (HurQ) to summoning Klingons.
    Anyone else think there is a summon overload?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    So we go from summoning pirates to pilot ships to summoning bugs (HurQ) to summoning Klingons.
    Anyone else think there is a summon overload?

As someone who just picked up a Sarcophagus Dreadnought Carrier I'm totally cool with it! :smiley:
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    "The Battle at the Binary Stars is one of the most important historic battles between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. "

That's why we've never heard about it till last year. ;)

"a new holodeck simulation"
    It's not a real historical simulation unless there's a fat Riker at the end of it!

"earn the Bacon of Kahless"
    Mmm, that bacon sounds glorious!
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    So whose idea was it to force avatar switches when space barbie is being declared the end game?
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Could this be done in alternate characters like Mirror or Breach to get the DIL for each toon that does it?​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    Blog's been updated with some new and changed info.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Oi vey... people complaining about looking like an era appropriate ship...
    Its no different than looking like a D7 during Night of the Comet or a T'Liss Warbird in The Core of the Matter.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Also I have a feeling the Beacon shares a cooldown with all the other summon items. But its all cool.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Sounds fun enough to try & play probably at least the 14 times required. The rewarded prize, Beacon of Kahless, isn't too enthusing imho since there are multiple "summoning help" items that can only be used one at a time with a universal cool-down, understandably to prevent over-powering, but it sort of makes the other "summoning" items obsolete since this offers placation too. The Featured TFO Reward Boxes being account-wide is nice. The Beacon of Kahless being account-wide too is great for players with multiple characters. The "holoing" of the ships doesn't seem necessary but doesn't bother me neither & might be fun. Lastly, cool ship that is in the fore front of the 2nd screen shot.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    hurray!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    "Is the reward account-bound?"

Completing the 14-day Project rewards an account-wide unlock to claim the Beacon of Kahless on other characters on your account.

The three Featured TFO Reward Boxes are only rewarded to the first character on your account that completes the Project, but may be traded via your Account Bank to other characters.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User

Completing the 14-day Project rewards an account-wide unlock to claim the Beacon of Kahless on other characters on your account.

The three Featured TFO Reward Boxes are only rewarded to the first character on your account that completes the Project, but may be traded via your Account Bank to other characters.

Wow that really sucks & there I was thinking Cryptic was going to be generous in rewarding potential Specialization Points or Upgrades. Now definitely only planning to play on 1 character. More of Cryptic's 1 step forward two steps back approach like rewarding those extra would've been bad for players.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    It is so tempting to go in without equipping a shield simply to get to see a disco ship blown to smithereens.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    A little disappointed that I won't be able to bring my Kelvin Constitution to the Battle of the Binary Stars, was really looking forward to that, but it does look like fun all the same.

What are the classes of ships we'll be able to pose as? There were quite a few different classes to choose from in the episodes. I know the Malachowski, Shepard, Engle, Walker, Crossfield and Europa (last two not really appropriate for the battle in large numbers or any numbers for the Crossfield) are all in game already, but will the others be present as well, like the Hoover and Magee-classes?
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

Wow that really sucks & there I was thinking Cryptic was going to be generous in rewarding potential Specialization Points or Upgrades. Now definitely only planning to play on 1 character. More of Cryptic's 1 step forward two steps back approach like rewarding those extra would've been bad for players.

It's no different than how they have done things in the past.

Featured TFO reward boxes are essentially the Featured Episode weekly reward boxes. Just a name change has been done.

Two week projects likewise are the same as they've been since they've done the item account wide.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Experience one of the most painful battles in Federation history, in our first ever Featured Task Force Operation. The Battle at the Binary Stars launches this month on PC!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11012953

So the ship I've put a ton of time and energy into looking the way I like, will be reskinned in a simulation? No thanks, I'll pass on this one.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    A little disappointed that I won't be able to bring my Kelvin Constitution to the Battle of the Binary Stars, was really looking forward to that, but it does look like fun all the same.

What are the classes of ships we'll be able to pose as? There were quite a few different classes to choose from in the episodes. I know the Malachowski, Shepard, Engle, Walker, Crossfield and Europa (last two not really appropriate for the battle in large numbers or any numbers for the Crossfield) are all in game already, but will the others be present as well, like the Hoover and Magee-classes?

Sounds like you're not going to be given a choice.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Oi vey... people complaining about looking like an era appropriate ship...
    Its no different than looking like a D7 during Night of the Comet or a T'Liss Warbird in The Core of the Matter.

Well, in my opinion those are one-time story missions, while TFO-s are supposed to be endgame content (and this one is a self contained grindfest, at that). Also, the D7 and the T'liss are not ugly, not like most of the ST:D era ships.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Well it's a historical simulation, so era apropiate ships is the way to go… i kinda like te fact that we Will keep the theme… feels more acurate...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User

Sounds like you're not going to be given a choice.

Wasn't expecting one, just wanting to know if the Hoover and Magee were modeled yet ;-)
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User

Thank You!​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    So long as all these summon support devices all share the same cool down... as long as you have one of the other devices, it's pointless to get another one unless your going for visuals. will do it once a week on an account and fuggedaboudit.
This discussion has been closed.