test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fan Fiction: Voyager: A Fire of Devotion

13»

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Was stuck in the waiting room at the medical lab for 2 hours or so today...I am almost back to where I was before. Not quite....though. I should be getting into new stuff soon. I am about 1/3 of the way through the book.

The Doctor is still stuck in Sick Bay and going stir crazy (he's so funny)....and the Captain is still off the boat looking for the pirates....Wildman/Annika is on their date at the ballet.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • arkle#8984 arkle Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    The Doctor is still stuck in Sick Bay and going stir crazy (he's so funny)....

Definitely my favorite character on the show. Robert Picardo is an actor that really doesn't get enough love, despite how many great things he's done. The EMH on Voyager, Gremlins 2, Masters of Horror: Homecoming, China Beach...
    Characters: Rida Vodad (Trill), Niana (Orion), Karak'Son (Jem'Hadar), Jhanel Aphram (Andorian), Tevana (Romulan), Anahera Ngata (Human), Choadesh (Alien), Manek (Reman), C'Reta (Ferrasan), Kamak'Zun (Jem'Hedar), Joyal Krin (Cardassian), and Lur'Ast (Klingon).
    Tumblr: thehumanarkle.tumblr.com
    Twitter: @G33kOfAllTrades
    YouTube: youtube.com/user/arklestudios
    AO3 Pseudonym: ZeusParker
    edited September 2018
    I was sitting in the waiting area in the Lab and laughing my head off.
    OOPs! I am not reading at home...I am out in public....

I am sure the people who were in there knew I was reading a Star Trek novel (I had already broadcast that tidbit) Was wondering...what the heck is going on with this Star Trek???

++++++++

Anyhoo...I have a dentist and doctor appointment next week....so plenty of waiting rooms to go.
    I usually read "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi while waiting...BUT I will be taking your book, instead.
    Post edited by where2r1 on

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    I got to the part about Omegas....when Doc called me in the exam room. LOL!

It is the Omega particles from the Omega particles game! It was on TV...I will have to go watch that episode.

BTW, Kindle advises me that I am at location 1630. The entire book has 2489 pages. Of course these are kindle sized pages. I wonder if the book page numbers change if I changed font size. ???

Eh, off to sleep. Hope you had a good day.

Now that I've been playing STO for several months, I can't help but think of what elements of the game I'd want to borrow for a sequel. I mean, I have had a few readers ask for one. I probably won't do one though.
    Characters: Rida Vodad (Trill), Niana (Orion), Karak'Son (Jem'Hadar), Jhanel Aphram (Andorian), Tevana (Romulan), Anahera Ngata (Human), Choadesh (Alien), Manek (Reman), C'Reta (Ferrasan), Kamak'Zun (Jem'Hedar), Joyal Krin (Cardassian), and Lur'Ast (Klingon).
    edited November 2018
    What kind of books do you usually write??? It is not all Star Trek war stories, is it?

I will tell you why I like your book...it is because it is NOT all about fighting and war. It is more about the conflicts that arise from interactions between people living in close quarters, it is about meeting dealing with strange aliens and what happens.

So, IF Star Trek war stories is the part of STO you want to ADD to your books... TRIBBLE THAT! LOL!

Unless, you USUALLY write war stories. At which point...well, that is what you write. :)

LOL! I keep forgetting "S C R E W" is a bad word to the Forum censor system. But you can TRIBBLE THAT, too!
    LOL!

edited November 2018
    You know, you will feel "the calling" of your Muse... then you won't be able to STOP yourself from writing it down. Right? LOL!

(BTW...I am trying out Audible via Amazon.com, now, too...though I still have not found time to "listen" to a book, much less just sit and read. Though, I think I am coming down with a cold, so I may have more time, soon. LOL!)

What kind of books do you usually write??? It is not all Star Trek war stories, is it?

I will tell you why I like your book...it is because it is NOT all about fighting and war. It is more about the conflicts that arise from interactions between people living in close quarters, it is about meeting dealing with strange aliens and what happens.

So, IF Star Trek war stories is the part of STO you want to ADD to your books... TRIBBLE THAT! LOL!

Unless, you USUALLY write war stories. At which point...well, that is what you write. :)

LOL! I keep forgetting "S C R E W" is a bad word to the Forum censor system. But you can TRIBBLE THAT, too!
    LOL!

I wasn't thinking in terms of battles, I mean concepts like the Romulan Republic, or the game-specific ship classes like the Geneva, or... um.. whatever the ENterprise-F is (can't remember off the top of my head). Maybe some characters like Commander Jarok or Doctor Cooper (before and after being replaced by Species 8472). Never actually written a war story before. Could be an interesting challenge. It could also suck though as I'm actually somewhat of a pacifist, so...
    arkle#8984 wrote: »
    I wasn't thinking in terms of battles, I mean concepts like the Romulan Republic, or the game-specific ship classes like the Geneva, or... um.. whatever the Enterprise-F is (can't remember off the top of my head). Maybe some characters like Commander Jarok or Doctor Cooper (before and after being replaced by Species 8472). Never actually written a war story before. Could be an interesting challenge. It could also suck though as I'm actually somewhat of a pacifist, so...

Wow. You are a pacifist and you play this game? On the Fed side?

I like the Romulan Republic...dislike the stuff in their story about Tal Shiar.
    I went and looked up and watched the TV show episode about D'Tan. He was just a kid!

Well...there is a lot of anguish surrounding war. But finding hope inside it, it may be difficult. Yeah.

Well, I want to get back to my reading. So, I may just go back to just doing DOFFing on my characters....and skip everything else. Takes up way too much of my time. :)

I still don't have the house decorated for Autumn, either!!

Wow. You are a pacifist and you play this game?

It's just a video game. I play Saints Row and Skyrim too, and there's tons o' killing in those too. ;)
    Wow. You are a pacifist and you play this game?

It's just a video game. I play Saints Row and Skyrim too, and there's tons o' killing in those too. ;)

LOL! I guess, one must kill something, it is best in a video game.

I took a break from STO today....for the most part.

Got my Kitchen decorated for Autumn. :)

I am ready to start on arranging the branches on my artificial Christmas Tree, next.
    Hopefully, it will be ready to decorate by the day after Thanksgiving.
    Last year, I never got done so I never got it decorated. LOL!

I used my two free Audible book tokens, I got those for signing up for a trial....

The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'amour.
    The Cat's Pajamas by Ray Bradbury.

I figured they were different enough, that I could get an idea if I like it
    But they are both short story collections, so I don't have to commit a lot of time to each story.

edited November 2018
    Eh, audio books are not what they used to be. The readers no longer stay in a neutral voice....they are acting it out.

Btw...at 74% complete with your first book. Kindle is sooo...mechanical and robotic.

74%? So that would probably put you deep into Part 3, right?
    edited November 2018
    Oh heck no... I am at 74% of the section titled:
    Star Trek Voyager: A Fire of Devotion Part 1 of 4 : Louder Than Sirens.
    I stopped reading last time at the beginning of "Chapter 8"

They just ejected the resonance chamber with the Omega particles from the ship and blew it up with a gravimetric torpedo. <--that torpedo is in the game, now. Comes from Voyager?

Chapter 8 starts a few weeks after this....nebula and injuries of crew members.

I should probably download the next section.

edited November 2018
    Do you read the other stories on the STO forums?
    I am reading another much shorter story on the forum, it is here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1244987/fanfic-to-find-a-heart-and-soul

With all the broken stuff in this game...DOFFing, Admiralty, and reading stories in the forum is about the only thing left to do.

edited November 2018
    Well, big weather changes going on here in Arizona...woke up with a scratch in my throat that has only progressively gotten worse since getting up this morning. :(

But I wanted to drop in to say: I finished book 1 this morning, thanks to my convalescence. Though, now I am dealing with a headache and I don't want to bother digging out my scanner to check for a fever.

I have had to download book 2 and start in on the reading since you left me with a cliff hanger. Borg virus? And another Federation ship???? Hmmmm... At this point I have to say I have no idea what part was TV show and what part is derived by you. I do know I am enjoying the reading.

Anyhoo...broke out the Ricola. Thinking about taking a nap...and just try to stay warm this afternoon. I still have to make the lunches.... Ugh! Took some Tylenol.

P.S. I like the way you improved upon Janeway's leadership and crew interaction skill. Something I thought was lacking in the show...and a huge reason I quit watching Voyager when it was on the air.

The other ship was something from the show. A promising two-parter that kinda blew it in the second part, sadly. I shall say no more lest I spoil things for you.
    I am sad about Edwin.

I am sad about Edwin.

That episode was a tear-jerker originally too. Glad I was able to do it justice. The episode is called Drone if you wanna look it up. The costuming doesn't quite hold up on HD screens, but that's not the show's fault. Technology just moves on. :)
    edited November 2018
    That episode was a tear-jerker originally too. Glad I was able to do it justice. The episode is called Drone if you wanna look it up. The costuming doesn't quite hold up on HD screens, but that's not the show's fault. Technology just moves on. :)
    I would have to break out the Kleenex. I am surprised that they used suicide in this way in a Star Trek episode.

(I should put a box of Kleenex over by the TV, anyways. Hallmark Channel is starting to play those sappy romantic Christmas movies that I am totally gaga for.)

I am currently at 29% of book 2. Location 1411 of 4835. Tuvok is volunteering to do a mind meld on Seven of Nine to see if he can bring her back from the multiples of personalities that is taking over. And I wonder how much of Seven getting lost in the sea of voices, has to do with her shock and grief of what happened to Edwin. And that Borg vinculum was just an avenue for her mind to hide away.

Anyhoo...don't tell me....LOL!

Coping mechanism is what I was thinking of...

Lo, Saturnalia! Hope you got plenty of Star Trekking done during the holidays. ;)
    Blessed Be!! Have a happy holidays to you and yours~

I caught a cold and feel better lounging in bed. :) So, not much Snowmen or WW for me, this year.
    Which really isn't all that unfortunate...the lounging in bed part, anyways.
    The sickly part on the other hand......is for the birds. But taking some meds.

I've recently dipped my toes into the waters of Discovery fic writing. https://archiveofourown.org/works/18351101

I should note this is a sequel to someone else's DIS fic; https://archiveofourown.org/works/13873569 (they approved of my follow-up though).

Also contains spoilers for Season 2, in case you haven't seen it.
    I am beta reading/editing/helping rewrite another book. I am having a good time with that... but I admit, I haven't had much time to read read! Not even read the STO Forums.

Or play STO, even. Not a big loss since I am no fan of STFs. And the "events" as TFOs? I quit doing those even before they became the "only" event thing left. I hope they don't change Winter and Summer events to be like that.

I have NOT seen Discovery... other than the first 4 (or so) shows I got for free. And I found I really don't enjoy the program.

I understand the show has changed since then... but not compelled to bother paying for CBS All Access for it. I did a trial of CBS All Access, at the start of Discovery (which was one month). I was "Meh!" about the service as it had a pretty choppy connection at my house. And the app itself was slow and did not respond at peak hours.
    Maybe they improved, but I don't really care, my experience being so bad with it.

Will probably not watch Discovery at this point and to see how they transformed it.
    Unless they put it somewhere else and on a service I already pay for... on Cable or Amazon Prime.
    And I binge watch shows on Netflix once in a blue moon (I pay for a month and shut it off, again). But only do the Netflix if things are slow.

I bookmarked your Discovery story. So, I have access to it from my browser.

I have to look up these characters names, since I don't know who they are. I assume, one should at least figure that out before reading fanfic. LOL!