test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where STO is headed

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    asches1 wrote: »
    Now some time passed, since I've posted the post (see what I did there?:D) and I read through all of the comments about the topic. A lot of very intersting thoughts and arguments!

I really liked them all.

And I have to say: there are sadly too few forums, where you can have a civilized discussion about a topic. Where nobody starts to rant about it and put people down for their different opinions!
    This is a huge "plus" for you guys!

Thanks for the shared opinions!

Greets!

Just wanted to give this a thumbs up, the best thing that can be done with a forum is to share perspectives, thoughts, and experience in a mutually respectful way. There's a lot to dive into with DSC, both internal to the production (ex. how themes are reinforced by character arcs and plot points) and to its mechanical interaction with the rest of the series. It's challenging, and of course imperfect because without perfect optimization there will always be a disconnect between intention and result (and in some cases, a big disconnect owing to constraint, judgement, or the difficulty in wrangling together a season to tell a consistent story [syndication can be a lot easier to approach, creatively, though in some respects very artificial].)

I really like to get into that because it can help inform my appreciation for Trek (across the board) and adjust my own approach to creative writing in the Foundry (lessons can be applied to characters, themes, and managing audience engagement.) It's an objective puzzle which we can use to improve our approach to the IP, the game, and fellow community members. Forums can be a great venue to get into this.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • feralaffferalaff Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    discovery went out of their wy to prevent Klingons from ever being main-character fodder. I mean, could you imagine what those awkward, wooden, stiff, dull creatures Discovery gave us could do as main characters?? seriously would NOT work, they went out of their way to make Klingons boring and one dimensional single-note movie monsters.

Of course i meant the original klingons....like worf, martok etc...
    Discovery space orcs....are space orcs. NOT klingons.
    edited November 2018
    feralaff wrote: »
    discovery went out of their wy to prevent Klingons from ever being main-character fodder. I mean, could you imagine what those awkward, wooden, stiff, dull creatures Discovery gave us could do as main characters?? seriously would NOT work, they went out of their way to make Klingons boring and one dimensional single-note movie monsters.

Of course i meant the original klingons....like worf, martok etc...
    Discovery space orcs....are space orcs. NOT klingons.

DSC Klingons = Klingons. See word: Klingons. They may be different Klingons, but they're still Klingons (just as the Klingons digitized by V'ger were still Klingons even though they shared only minor stylistic resemblance to the likes of Kang and Koloth.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I’ve always felt like Ron Moore’s Battlestar Galactica was what Voyager should have been but not as dark

What? You WANT empty sets (or sets filled with IKEA furniture) and A.I. droning on about the nature of existence? nuBSG should have been called "The Existential Cylon" and be done with it. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    The only time I can think of where Janeway legit considered going through hostile territory on purpose, was Borg space, and there was what appeared to be a safe corridor. Going around Borg Space would have added months to years to the journey, so in that case it was a situation that had to be weighed carefully.

Ransom violated just about every regulation in the book when he started using those aliens as fuel for the Equinox. And then he actually opened fire on another Federation ship when they found out.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    they (Discovery's Klingorks) only share anything by nature of owner fiat, while the ones digitized by V'ger were at least capable of showing emotion and moving like someone NOT constrained while being constipated on a ship that looks, stylistically, like something excreted by a seagoing invertebrate.
    ^^^
    You really need to rewatch the opening Klingon Bridge sequence of ST:TMP.
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,239 Community Moderator
    I can't help but notice that this thread seems to not be discussing STO anymore, and is debating the various shows/movies. Can we please get back on the subject of the thread? Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > I can't help but notice that this thread seems to not be discussing STO anymore, and is debating the various shows/movies. Can we please get back on the subject of the thread? Thank you.

Where's the fun in that?! /sarcasm
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    Honestly I give STO 12 months before it closes down its been heading that way for a few years now and the sub-par content and what appears to be even less content next year just screams the game is in trouble.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Wait a min, I still got tons of stuff to do!!!!! No way am I letting them shut this puppy down. :)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @kelador said:
    > Honestly I give STO 12 months before it closes down its been heading that way for a few years now and the sub-par content and what appears to be even less content next year just screams the game is in trouble.

Oh boy here we go. DOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    kelador wrote: »
    Honestly I give STO 12 months before it closes down its been heading that way for a few years now and the sub-par content and what appears to be even less content next year just screams the game is in trouble.
    It's funny, some other guy gave the game 12 months to live 12 months ago. And some other idiot did the same 12 months before that. But hey, maybe this time you're right. Just maybe.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

Yep, it'sin such dire straights, they can afford to hire original cast members from EVERY STAR TREK SERIES MADE TO DATE to do voice over work for the game - and ave done so for going on 8 years now...<--- Yep, they must have really not made a dime to be able to do that...oh, wait...
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I've played Star Trek Online on Xbox One from the moment that the game dropped onto consoles and I enjoy it quite a bit. I don't mind the repetitive quality inherent after creating over a dozen characters. I'm not too put off by the lock boxes, I say either open them or not. It's a choice. I may not be a fan of Discovery, but am curious to see what AoD content unfolds in this game.

That being said, STO clearly suffers from a huge case of "two steps forward and three steps back" syndrome in how Cryptic rolls out new content. Spoilers don't bother me, so I've already watched the AoD episodes on YouTube. Maybe its just me, but I fail to see why a new Disco character had to leave their era already, when we have been told that more content is forthcoming (we've even been shown the time frame for the next few months)? So why not just have left them there until all AoD era content ultimately ran its course and THEN have them end up in the [blankety-blank] observatory .... with you know who?

As an aside, I really enjoyed creating a TOS character with Agents of Yesterday, but would have dearly preferred having them remain in that era for far longer; hell for my dollars eventually allowing for an original series Klingon character to become a temporal agent as well with content telling the story from their perspective. Sort of a no-brainer that seemingly never occurred to anyone developing this game?

If getting every created character into 2410 is the whole point then why not just incorporate elements from earlier broadcast fare and simply reintroduce it into this games default era to begin with? AoD may be slowly unfolding its content without benefit of a recruitment event, so why they felt it necessary to so swiftly implement a time bounce is beyond me? And if your rebuttal is that an AoD would not have had much to do until each new episode was prepared, then perhaps rushed is the only way to view this content?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Even if someone hates DIscovery and Discovery Klingons with the fiery hatred of 1,000 suns, it could still be that STO manages to make some interesting stories (or ships) out of it.

STO writers love to pick some loose plot threads from the series and spin some new yarn from it. Some of it is fairly intriguing, some of it might be vapid. But you never know before they released it and you saw the content.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    The series even started with her intentionally stranding the ship in the delta quadrant to stop the kazon from taking over the Caretaker's array.

In direct violation of the Prime Directive.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    The series even started with her intentionally stranding the ship in the delta quadrant to stop the kazon from taking over the Caretaker's array.

Not true. The caretaker asked for help.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    tigeraries wrote: »

Not true. The caretaker asked for help.
    ^^^
    So did the Bajorans when the Cardassians invaded; but Starfleet and the Federation turned a blind eye. Plus, I wouldn't call the power the Caretaker held over the planet all that benevolent. hell, with neither the Caretaker OR the Okanpan homeworld being citizens or members of the Federation - Janeway should have taken the wave back home and made a log entry per 24th century Prime Directive standards. ;)
    Would like another ship bundle right about now...an Nimitz is not enough for my DSC character!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Wow... someone predicting DOOOOOOOOM. Been a while since I saw that. Wait... all the complaints about adding Discovery related content killing the game...

Looks like its still alive to me.
    Where's the DOOOOOOM?

Buried in the ancient DOOOOOOOM thread. God I miss that thread. Was fun to poke fun at all the doomsayers.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    Wrong. But nice try as CBS has said the shows and movies ARE canon. The books, games and other externals are not. So that point is moot and you are wrong. Any other points you want to try and pivot to?

I think the only Enterprise we got a firm size on, that I remember mind you, was the Enterprise-E in First Contact when Picard was telling Lilly how big the ship is, stating she was about 700 meters and 24 decks. But then I think we have the issue of non existant decks being called out during battle scenes, and apparently she went through a refit between FC and Insurrection, and again between Insurrection and Nemesis.

Another size anomaly is in the '09 Star Trek, where the first time we see the Enterprise, she's got a shuttlebay big enough for two of the "military" shuttles to go in and out side by side and have some room to spare. But then when we see Pike take a shuttle out... the shuttlebay only has enough room for that same class of shuttle to come out on its own, making her about the same size as the original.

There are the official sizes, there are the fan accepted sizes (which mostly line up with official most of the time), and there's headcanon sizes.

The TOS Connie is generally accepted at around 285 meters. Official... I have no idea as I don't remember the size of the Connie ever being stated on screen. Officially the size of the Sovereign is 685 meters, which lines up with Picard generalizing around 700. I headcanon the KT Connie at 366 meters due to the fact that she changes size in the same movie she was revealed in and the details line up more with a smaller ship than larger.

If the Discovery version was scaled up... they obviously made sure to keep the DETAILS size appropriate. Besides... length is only one measurement. MASS is another. Scale wise, the Discovery Connie is proportionately the same as the TOS one. Neck is a bit shorter, but its thicker too. Maybe about as thick as the Refit Connie. The swept back nacelle pylons would add some length as well vs the straight pylons. But overall she's within the same proportions as her origin.

Bit bigger or not, the design for her is very well done. I can easily see her fighting the Romulan BoP, Klingon D7s, and even the Tholians.

it get even better when you move on to Defiant, who seems to inflate and deflate moe than Tom Brady's footballs
    Spock.jpg

Yep, it'sin such dire straights, they can afford to hire original cast members from EVERY STAR TREK SERIES MADE TO DATE to do voice over work for the game - and ave done so for going on 8 years now...<--- Yep, they must have really not made a dime to be able to do that...oh, wait...

and honestly, I think they should have stayed away from that. that money could have been better used with additional staff
    Spock.jpg

rattler2 wrote: »
    Wow... someone predicting DOOOOOOOOM. Been a while since I saw that. Wait... all the complaints about adding Discovery related content killing the game...

Looks like its still alive to me.
    Where's the DOOOOOOM?

Buried in the ancient DOOOOOOOM thread. God I miss that thread. Was fun to poke fun at all the doomsayers.

you know I always hear "But ESD is empty now!" umm because a good portion of PC players are playing on the console server(s)? do the consoles have thier own?
    Spock.jpg

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    "ESD is empty" lol.... could just mean less people are idle while logged in. :p

As for how popular the Star Trek: Discovery stuff is? When I was at Disco SFA I talked to another player who was in Instance 988... nine HUNDRED eighty eight.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.