test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Automatic Navigation (Non-Functional/Disabled)?

It seems that the Auto-Navigation function of STO has either been disabled or is otherwise non-functional. I was trying to navigate from Qo'Nos to the Fleet Starbase. I was entering Romulan territory (heading map north) before I noticed that I was heading in the opposite direction from the Fleet Base. The first time I selected Auto-Nav it reduced my speed to half but my ship did not change course. Speed remained constant at 50% warp but my ship's course remained constant.

I apologize if this issue has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Oh yeah, that has been broken for a while, now.

When you get out into Sector space from Qo'nos....immediately interact with your ship and "turn" it a bit, manually, that seems to get the program to "lock onto your place in space". Then hit navigate to the Fleet Starbase.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    BTW....this happens in a few different places in the game, where auto-navigate seems to lock up the poor program. Just do the same thing, every where it happens...take manual control of your ship....it gets right again, once it goes from manual interaction back to auto-navigate.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • dalthranxerago#3955 dalthranxerago Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Reset and Restart for PC seems to have done the trick. Thanks for your input all :). Problem Solved.
    You may not want to choose that route every time this happens...but that is up to you.

• arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    It happens to me quite often but I have noticed that, at least for me, it's not really the auto-nav that's bugged, but the specific "route" I am attempting to travel. Selecting pretty much any other destination than the one that didn't work, will work, and after selecting a different destination, selecting your initial destination suddenly works correctly.

As in the OPs example, if selecting the Fleet starbsse from Qonos didn't work, just select any other system and then select the fleet starbase again and it now works, or at least that has worked every time for me.

the suckiest part about it isn't the bug itself, it's the fact that your ship will start travelling and if you aren't paying close attention, you think it's going where it is supposed to. So, to avoid the utter boredom of watching your ship travel across the map, you turn your attention to something else, and sometime later you return your attention to the screen and notice your ship sitting all the way at the edge of the quadrant, far, far away from where you wanted to be
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
    Well, just take a quick glance at the Throttle setting....it stays at half point mark if the program is stuck.

• engineerb4#4806 engineerb4 Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2019
    Post edited by engineerb4#4806 on
    STO Software Engineer
    I build things. Things that make us go.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    To/From Qo'nos and fleet starbase have never worked for me. I've always had to manually adjust course and stop upon arrival at either destination. There were also a few other specific routes that seemed to be off.

However, now many more routes seem not to be working correctly. Simple things like B'Tran to Azlesa or many routes to/from various clusters.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I'm curious to know of any Auto-Nav routs that don't work. I need specifics, like "I'm at X and activate Auto Nav for Y".

Also, we are also making Transwarp free, though Auto-Nav is still an option if you are in the same sector space as your destination.

Most of them end you up outside the interaction "bubble" which has always struck me as mildly idiotic as the sector map has always been a static map with no planetary movement that could be used to explain away the +/- 10ly from your destination.

Happens to me most often after transitioning from one quadrant to another.
    edited November 2018
    When I left Bajor System into Sector Space....the program got stuck when activating Auto-Navigate.
    End location does not seem to matter for me once the program gets stuck like this.

Any direction can be chosen, the first activation after getting to Sector space.....is messed up until another interaction intervenes. I have not documented the navigation around the game enough to figure out if it is elevation, the location in relation to the planets, or angle the ship is facing, or what?

When this first happened, I seem to recall that I had noticed a correlation between using Transwarp previous to having this problem crop up. Not sure if this is still the case.

Another note I remember....when I was on Tribble testing new T6 Rep shield stuff: I remember that problem was not happening at Qo'nos on Tribble. I had thought it was fixed.
    Post edited by where2r1 on

• arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    I'm curious to know of any Auto-Nav routs that don't work. I need specifics, like "I'm at X and activate Auto Nav for Y".

Also, we are also making Transwarp free, though Auto-Nav is still an option if you are in the same sector space as your destination.

Really? I stopped sending in tickets(every time a new route failed) months ago as nothing was ever done. Try QA, if they didn't just bin them?
    Definitely not an Arc User.
    OK, I figured out how it happened for me at Bajor System Space....it was after doing the mission "Second Wave".

As part of the mission, the character transwarps from the DS9 map to Bajor System Space. That is the ending of "Second Wave". Once in Bajor System Space you get the hail and collect rewards. Then, leave the system... program is in that state where Auto Navigation does not work.

Ship is facing away from everything including Bajor (can't really tell where you are)... so go into map and click on DS9 (and Bajor and Wormhole is behind your ship and not in camera view)...end up going in a straight line southeast.

I am not sure how many other missions use this form of transwarp inside the mission itself.

And may be a good thing to search through @arabatur old comments in the bug report forums for posted the ticket numbers.

edited November 2018
    I'm curious to know of any Auto-Nav routes that don't work.

On Holodeck: From Qo'nos to New Romulus. Selected to go to Sector space from KDF Academy...then auto-navigate to New Romulus. Was DOFFing and did not notice that my Auto-nav course was flying me to Jouret System and the Dyson Sphere Gateway.

Ship: https://i.imgur.com/YybWm72.jpg

On Holodeck: From Qo'nos to KDF Fleet Starbase. Selected Sector space from KDF Academy....then auto-navigate to KDF Fleet Starbase. Ending up flying pretty much straight North the direction ship was facing when we landed on the map.

Ship: https://i.imgur.com/MmqAxzS.jpg
    Post edited by where2r1 on

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited November 2018

I've commented on this extensively before. See this thread for test cases from several people:

Auto Travel sometimes fails, since Season 13

In particular, see my comments below.

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13210575/#Comment_13210575
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I can reliably reproduce this bug on my KDF characters now. Although I have not found a way to reproduce it on my other characters, I do not believe the bug is specific to the KDF faction. I remember seeing the bug on a Federation character long before Season 13. If I remember correctly, in those cases, it was after a transwarp during Tour the Galaxy.

To reproduce the bug on a KDF character:
    1. Warp out from the Qo'noS System to the Beta Quadrant.
    2. Press M to open the map. Click on the New Romulus System. Then click OK to begin auto-travel.
    3. Notice that your ship continues to fly in the direction you were facing at half speed.
    4. Press A to turn left. Then repeat step 2 to auto-travel to the New Romulus System.
    5. Notice that your ship continues to fly at half speed without changing direction.
    6. Press D to turn right. Then repeat step 2 to auto-travel to the New Romulus System.
    7. Notice that your ship continues to fly at half speed without changing direction.
    8. Press R to bring the ship to a full stop. Press R again to bring the ship to full speed.
    9. Repeat step 2 to auto-travel to the New Romulus System.
    10. Notice that your ship continues to fly in the same direction, but slows down to half speed.
    11. Now do one of the following:
      • Press S to turn up.
      • Press W to turn down.
      • Press M to open the map. Click on another location, such as the Dyson Sphere Gateway. Click OK to begin auto-travel to the second location.
    12. Repeat step 2 to resume auto-travel to the New Romulus System.
    13. Notice that this time your ship correctly turns toward the New Romulus System and flies toward it at full speed after facing the correct direction.

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13211327/#Comment_13211327
    frtoaster wrote: »
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Edit: Just now, completed "Mirrors and Smoke"...this time Transwarped from Gon'cra Nebula area to Defera....as in went from Alpha Quad location to another Alpha Quad location. This takes me to Defera System Space....then used the warp out button. Then used Auto Travel to DS9...did not work. Changed destination to Bajor, that didn't unlock it. So, I picked the Vlugta Dil Mine that worked...then reset the course to DS9. (I am guessing Bajor and DS 9 are the same location/transwarp destination?)

This is what I discovered on a Federation character. After warping out of the Defera System, my ship is facing almost straight toward DS9 and Bajor. If I auto-travel to DS9, the ship initially seems to travel in the correct direction. It travels at full speed until it gets close to DS9. Then it slows down to half speed. It will continue flying at half speed straight past DS9, unless it bumps into a planet or moon in the Bajor System. In that case, the bump throws the ship off course, after which it will correct course and correctly navigate to DS9. Pretty much the same thing happens if I auto-travel to Bajor. The only difference is that the ship will slow down from one-half to one-quarter speed when it gets really close to Bajor. Once it gets further away, it will increase its speed to one-half again. It will fly straight past Bajor, unless it bumps into a planet or a moon, forcing it to correct course.
    where2r1 wrote: »
    So, it is attached to the first Auto Travel destination...after using Transwarp to System space then going from System space to Sector space. ???? Probably goes the other way too.... using Transwarp to Sector Space destination from System Space.

I don't believe the bug is specifically tied to transwarp. I can reproduce the bug without using transwarp. I believe what matters is your starting position, the destination you select for auto-travel, and the direction your ship is facing. The question is how sensitive the bug is to these conditions. For example, is the bug still reproducible if your starting position is slightly different?

My hypothesis is that the bug is related to the vertical angle of your destination relative to your ship.

https://old.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/7up6bo/to_the_dev_looking_at_autonav/dtmce5n/
    This bug was reported in May 2017, and at least two more times since then. I highly doubt any dev is currently looking into this, just as I doubt any dev is looking into the sector-border doffing bug. It's probably very low on their list of priorities.

Here's what I discovered when I tested this last year:
    • If you change the vertical angle of your ship before you auto-navigate, it will work correctly.
    • Sometimes, you can resolve the problem by auto-navigating to a different system first, stopping, and then auto-navigating to your intended destination. This doesn't always work.
    These two points lead me to believe that the bug depends on the vertical angle of your destination relative to your ship. When you first enter sector space, your ship starts with a vertical angle of zero. If the vertical angle of your destination relative to your ship is also zero, or in other words, if your destination lies on the same horizontal plane as your ship, then auto-navigate will fail to turn the ship.

Most of the time, when auto-navigate fails, your ship will keep traveling at one-half speed in the same direction it was facing. Sometimes, if your heading is close to being correct, your ship will slow down to one-quarter speed as you approach your destination. Then, it will speed up to one-half again and fly straight pass your destination.

I explained all this in the first thread above. We provided them with several test cases in that thread, so they already had plenty of information to debug this.

https://old.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/81coo0/when_you_told_your_ship_to_autonavigate_and_went/dv32nqj/
    Read these two threads: It's not related to faction. It doesn't matter if you're Fed, KDF, or Romulan (Fed-allied or KDF-allied). This becomes evident if you test using faction-neutral locations like Defera, DS9, and Bajor. What matters is the vertical angle between your destination and your ship. This also means that it's related to the vertical angle between your destination and your starting location. When you warp out to sector space, your ship starts with a vertical angle of zero. If you start at the same location and select the same destination, you will get the same result each time. The reason people are seeing different results on different characters is because they tend to visit different locations on those characters.

EDIT: Fixed incorrect links. Vanilla Forums, please don't eat this post.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png