test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Extended Maintenance Tomorrow

2»

Comments

• So how long is the maintenance on for?
    PSN: DextrolFront55
    Character: T’Raasa
    Race: Vulcan
    Faction: TOS Federation
    Career: Engineer

Alt Character: ???
    Race: ???
    Faction: DSC Federation
    Career: ???
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    The flaming, trolling, and demanding in this thread needs to stop.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • nomax5#3964 nomax5 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Why can't they have 2 servers? for a short time at least?
    Then they could patch one and simply swap back and forth with no downtime.

Other systems don't have downtime, I've never known my bank be offline for maintenance, our emergency services are never offline, our millitary is never "Offline".

I suspect they have downtime because they can and we don't complain in enough numbers TBH.

• ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    At this point I would have preferred that they simply took down for however many days it took to move those servers and just moved them in one go. This is getting beyond annoying. This is what, fourth month they're spending hours "moving servers" in addition to normal maintenance. Just pull everything down and move it at once and take the time it takes already, it'd be a lot less painful for the players if you ask me.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • n8pu#8193 n8pu Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Having worked in a machine shop for 40 years (now retired), it's a fact that things break and need to be fixed, computers are no different and need to be serviced. Considering the load that that these server computers must have to survive, I find it amazing that they don't need a little TLC more often than they do. Do I find it inconvenient, yes but it is a small price to pay for to keeping the games going. The other option is to do nothing and no more games to play, I don't think the majority of us users want that.
  • frakrfrakr Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    I've never known my bank be offline for maintenance

Banks do go down for maintenance, during which their online services are unavailable. But unlike MMO games, this doesn't take place two times per week.
  • frakrfrakr Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    iamaham wrote: »
    Having worked in a machine shop for 40 years (now retired), it's a fact that things break and need to be fixed, computers are no different and need to be serviced.

That's what hot-swappable RAID systems are for.

• cat5hurricane1cat5hurricane1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    I can see both sides to this thread. I think it really comes down to service or profits. I am more than sure there is a better way to do this. I read something about a second server, now that is a thought. Now as a Gold Member for years the game has not been for free for me. I have noticed a lot more failures as the years have gone by. Keeping in mind this is a for profit company. I would expect much better customer service from what I have seen over the years. The chase camera is still broken and has been since 2011. I have never had missing items returned. Items that were purchased and not refunded. I get it. As I said before I feel that customer service is at the bottom of there priorities and profits are at the top. If this is the case we all have a decision to make.
This discussion has been closed.