test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Voice overs in-game

recently i have noticed that a lot of voice acting has been removed from the game. i am wondering if its a bug because the voice overs in-game gave it a lot of extra character and i think it would be a waste to just delete it all.
if its indeed removed is there an option where it could be reinstated again? if not its still a good game i just miss the depth a bit.

a faithful player
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Most likely it's a bug. NPC voices tend to go awol now and again and have to be reattached to their NPCs so to speak. The current move is towards more voice acting in the game, not less.

I'd suggest making a bug report in the appropriate forum (PC, Xbox or PS4) with more info (as in, who, where and when this happens) so that the devs can look into it.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    merlijn115446merlijn115446 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    @ilithyn its more like for example the mission where you open the iconian gateway on new Romulus ( i forgot the mission name)
    where several lines from for example captain shon, koren. they only speak the first sentence and nothing else except in cut-scenes. ( i apologize for the grammar, English is not my first language)
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    @ilithyn its more like for example the mission where you open the iconian gateway on new Romulus ( i forgot the mission name)
    where several lines from for example captain shon, koren. they only speak the first sentence and nothing else except in cut-scenes. ( i apologize for the grammar, English is not my first language)

It's fine, English isn't my first language either.

The Power Source, last mission in the Romulan Rep.
    That is unfortunately wai, or have at least been working that way for as long as I have been playing. Having voice actors in the game is expensive business and in the earlier days we didn't see much of it outside of cut scenes. Simply judged too costly at the time.
    You'll find this issue elsewhere too. Just replayed Step Between the Stars and it has the exact same issue unfortunately.

Also a lot of the early voices weren't actually voice actors but devs standing in, which is no longer a possibility due to the union agreement with the voice actors union. I can't remember if Shon and Koren are devs or proper voice actors, but they'd either have to give the two entirely new voices in the case of the former, or rehire the actors to get them to read the rest of the lines.
    They'll probably get around to it eventually, but I'm not holding my breath while waiting as it's likely to be a while. They seem to work on one arc at the time, except where they can "shoehorn" in new characters, such as Georgie La Forge now being part of one or two of the Klingon mission instead of... whoever it was before, I've forgotten.

Addendum. Just did a bit of digging and as far as I can tell both Dave Rivas (Shon's voice) and Secunda Wood (Koren's voice) are "proper" voice actors but I can't tell if they're part of the union or not. But if they are it shouldn't be hard for the devs to rehire them, just a matter of budget and priorities.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I noticed that the Tasha and Castillo voices (in the second "tunnel" scene, after the control room, when they're bickering about the forcefields) have gone AWOL, on my last replay of "Temporal Ambassador".

Not a union issue, obviously, particularly as both are still audible earlier in the same mission.
    Shouldn't be an Union issue anyway as far as I understood the "only union actors rule" applies only to new voicelines not ones recorded before the swap happened.

So as long as the actual voicefile hasn't be been destoyed it should be a "simple" matter of reconnecting the voicefile to the in-game dialogue.