test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online's 2018/2019 Roadmap!

15678911»

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I'm up for more ST-D content. Like I've said before, even though season 1 was horribly written, I still enjoyed it and many parts of it would make for great gameplay.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    No, they are not verbatim the same complaints about ST:TNG. Not sure why you keep parroting that fallacy. The complaints about ST:TNG centered around the ship being the "Love Boat" complete with it being commanded by its own Captain Stubing.
    The reason is because of the mission of the Galaxy class and a Klingon being part of the crew. The aesthetic was quickly accepted by the fanbase, especially with Excelsior class, Miranda class, Klingon K'Tingas, and Klingon BoPs being in the show that were accurate for the established aesthetic of Star Trek. The only uniform complaint that had any traction was the stupid ST:TNG dress usable for both sexes. It was stupid, and is still stupid on a spacecraft (yes the miniskirts of ST:TOS were also dumb, that's one thing DIScontintuity actually gets correct).

ORLY?
    Here's a photo of an article regarding TNG and it's announcement:
    rrMVJg3.jpg
    ^^^
    Seems I hear a lot of the same complaints about ST: D IE:

- Previous Trek has something 'special' ST: D can't match
    - ST: D somehow throws everything previous Trek had out

etc.

There is nothing in that article that even comes close to what is being pointed out about ST:DIScontinuity. I see no mention of a total retcon of the aesthetic (because there wasn't one), or rewriting the history of ST:TOS (because ST:TNG didn't do that...much), or any mention of the politics of the show (not my problem with ST:D, but others have made complaints about it).
    That article has no relevance to the criticism of ST:D.

It doesn't mention that, but I think the point of what crypticarmsman was trying to get at is that one of the major criticisms besides the aesthetic of Discovery is that the feel of the show would be different.

I'm honestly tired of the constant complaints about how Discovery is so much different looking from TOS. We get it. Can we stop harping on about it and focus in on what this thread is supposed to be about? If you don't want to talk about Age of Discovery at all, by all means find another thread in which you do want to talk about it.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    1 year of boredom, i'm glad to play again at Arma2-3.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I for one look forward to the new content
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Speculation isn't going to somehow materialize into a concrete point by passing it around a few times, however.

Nice strawman.
    I never said it would materialize into something concrete.

So, really you don't have a consistent (see. solid, concrete) point. Now, you could continue throwing rhetorical chaff to cover a faltering argument (simply to continue having one, whatever it may entail) or try to engage with your fellow users in more a constructive way (which recognizes the multi-lateral nature of discussion. Ie. that this isn't just about how any one of us personally feels.) Steam figures? Nya uh, not going to cut it when the game is primarily promoted through Arc and can be played directly through the application. Pop trends will vary according to the relative distribution between the two platforms (in line with how exactly the game is being most effectively marketed and how players are using the steam marketplace), the frequency of direct launching (a bit stochastic but can also be subject to memetic trends), and there's no way you can account for that to accurately estimate the population of the real game on any but the most immediate timescales.

That's basic stats. If you can't properly account for the context of your data, don't bother citing that data.

or any mention of the politics of the show (not my problem with ST:D, but others have made complaints about it).

So? Complaining about there being politics in Star Trek (a show conceived to tackle difficult social issues through the allegory of sci-fi) has no weight. Why then do you consider it a noteworthy problem with the show? It may not be yours (simple possessive), but you're under no obligation to hold it up as an example of a cogent complaint (a counter to cited article, as opposed to a corroborating example of how certain fans can arrive at an unintelligible argument in the name of rejecting what's new. That's of course not to say that their emotions are necessarily invalid, though how they're manifesting themselves in discussion may simply represent the easiest, most satisfying rhetoric at hand rather than what's ultimately bothering them.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »
    No (Discovery) cannot go back in time and change what came before, neither can CBS.

See, while you're right insofar as CBS cannot literally get into a time machine and go back to chance past Trek stuff, they can, if they so choose, simply say "that's not correct anymore, we've decided to change it."

What's seen on screen is hard canon, and what's most recent takes precedence. Where new canon contradicts old, old is no longer considered canon. This isn't that complicated a system.
    ^^^
    Very true - like how in 1987 - TNG/DS9/VOY retconned A LOT of Federation aspects described during TOS run. (All with the full approval of Paramount. Welcome to anytime a new Star trek series goes into production.

Most of that is not "retcon", it is how things changed over time. For example the TOS Enterprise was an old design, and like a WWII battleship refurbished and upgraded today look different from the newly build ships that use a different aesthetic, the TOS Enterprise most likely looked different from the more "modern" ships. When they completely rebuilt the ship in 2273 they built it to the light and airy, thin skinned instead of armored, window festooned aesthetic that was the norm by that time.

Remember, Kirk got lost trying to find his way to the bridge which would not have happened if the TOS ship was simply the TMP one the way a retcon would have made it, as well as all the dialog about how different it looked (especially in the pod flyaround).

I'm not talking about aesthetic retcons. TNG retconned some major tenets of the Federation from TOS era.

During TOS era, the Prime Directive only applied if the culture in question was not space faring and had no knowledge of life on other worlds. If the culture was space faring OR did have knowledge of life of other worlds due to contact prior to the time the Prime Directive went into effect - like the situation on Sigma Iotia II caused by the U.S.S. Horizon (See TOS - "A Piece Of The Action") OR contact by other aliens per the situation on Capella IV(See TOS - Friday's Child") the Prime Directive DIDN'T apply.

In TNG era the prime Directive was retconned to essentially be; "No interference with Non-Federation worlds."

Also, in the TOS era, the Federation allowed a world to KEEP its societal norms:

Kirk: "Your world is yours and will remain yours..." (again see TOS - "Friday's Child")

And again, in TOS era there were a number of worlds that maintained effective slavery like Ardana (see TOS - "The Cloud Minders"); and maintained capital punishment for lesser crimes like Deneb V (see TOS - "I Mudd"). Here's a snippet:
    KIRK: Yes. Who caught you?

MUDD: I sold the Denebians all the rights to a Vulcan fuel synthesizer.

KIRK: And the Denebians contacted the Vulcans.

MUDD: How'd you know?

KIRK: That's what I would have done.

MUDD: It's typical police mentality. They've got no sense of humor. They arrested me.

MCCOY: Oh, I find that shocking.

MUDD: Worse than that. Do know what the penalty for fraud is on Deneb Five?

SPOCK: The guilty party has his choice. Death by electrocution, death by gas, death by phaser, death by hanging...

MUDD: The key word in your entire peroration, Mister Spock, was, death. Barbarians. Well, of course, I left.

By TNG era, any world wishing for membership had to assimilate to 'Federation norms' (Hell, that was a running theme in Ds9 regarding teh admission of Bajor) and it seems the Federation also demanded that from anyone serving in Starfleet. Hell Picard gave Worf a dressing down BECAUSE Worf decided to FOLLOW Klingon societal traditions/norms; but Picard was about ready to throw him off the ship (See TNG "Reunion"). Again, a snippet:
    PICARD: Mister Worf, your service aboard the Enterprise has been exemplary. Until now.

WORF: Sir, I have acted within the boundaries of Klingon law and tradition.

PICARD: The High Council would seem to agree. They consider the matter closed. I don't. Mister Worf, the Enterprise crew currently includes representatives from thirteen planets. They each have their individual beliefs and values and I respect them all. But they have all chosen to serve Starfleet. If anyone cannot perform his or her duty because of the demands of their society, they should resign. Do you wish to resign?

WORF: No, sir.

PICARD: I had hoped you would not throw away a promising career. I understand your loss, We all admired K'Ehleyr. A reprimand will appear on your record. Dismissed. Mister Worf, isn't it time for the truth about your father's innocence to be told? After all, you only accepted this dishonor to protect the name of Duras and hold the Empire together. Now that he has died in disgrace, what is gained by further silence?

WORF: Each member of the Klingon High Council has shared in that lie. They will not be so willing to admit their own dishonor. But the day will come when my brother and I will convince them to speak the truth.

There are more examples but I don't want to spend all day typing here.

So yeah, TNG retconned a lot more than just some ship visual and deign aesthetics.

The thing is, the key to all of that is "by the time of...". In TOS the Federation was looser, more like the United Nations or a very early US than an actual, literal, Federation with a fairly strong central government and only semi-independent member-states. As time went on (and there was a century of it between TOS and TNG) the interpretations of the Articles of Federation changed and things like the prime directive and the admittance rules got even more restrictive and complicated. They even talked about it in dialog, with someone mentioning that the stuff Kirk pulled would have gotten him drummed out of the TNG era Starfleet no matter what kind of hero he was otherwise. TOS was the wild west of the Federation and things were much more fluid than they were a century later in TNG.

It is not retcon, it is time marching on.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Well, there is now a Star Trek comedy cartoon series in the works. I think fans will find it ever harder to really integrate everything under the umbrella of one consistent canon.

I am honestly not sure I am ready for a comedy take on Star Trek within the IP itself for that reason. But maybe it will be a good think and help make people accept that they can love Star Trek even if they don't like all of it, and that they can live with not everything in Star Trek suiting their preferences and still be popular with other people.
    As Star Trek 'canon' has never been consistent from day one - how does this change anything?
    (And no, there no one Star Trek series from TOS to ST: D that has been more 'canon consistent' than another - they all go off the rails about equally depending on the episode's needs")

It doesn't really matter if it is has actually been consistent or not. What matters is the perception of some fans that it somehow was, and their anger every time something new comes along that "breaks" this perception. If the perception is finally fully shattered, the vehemence people argue about this might go away. (And be replaced by something else, far worse?[/pessimism])
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • kirk2811kirk2811 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    [/quote]

The thing is, the key to all of that is "by the time of...". In TOS the Federation was looser, more like the United Nations or a very early US than an actual, literal, Federation with a fairly strong central government and only semi-independent member-states. As time went on (and there was a century of it between TOS and TNG) the interpretations of the Articles of Federation changed and things like the prime directive and the admittance rules got even more restrictive and complicated. They even talked about it in dialog, with someone mentioning that the stuff Kirk pulled would have gotten him drummed out of the TNG era Starfleet no matter what kind of hero he was otherwise. TOS was the wild west of the Federation and things were much more fluid than they were a century later in TNG.

It is not retcon, it is time marching on.
    [/quote]

Something like that was stated by Captain Janeway at the end of the episode "Flashback"
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    T6 Fek'lri ship!?!?!? *strategic planning begins* Is it a Dreadnought Cruiser????
    still no pirate ships? - Captain Harlock

I am making two ship classes based on the Death Shadow & Arcadia for my WH40K Rogue Trader campaign...
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Meanwhile I'm only feeling my initial concerns, the more that I read these forums, are becoming reality. I have not logged into this game for like 2 months now because I legitimately was mortified to have to see how Zone chat was going to be to this, and I'm debating canceling my patch now and turning tail and run because now THIS WON'T STOP FOR 6 MONTHS. I have yet to watch Discovery, I'll admit, not STRICTLY because it didn't appeal, but because of finances at the time, a situation that still remains. I thought it could have been better. In fact, I think it SHOULD have been better from day 1 given the amount of additional time they took. But I don't HATE it. But to bring this into this game like this...it's asking for the division that we have had and seen here, and I more than likely now will be turning off Zone chat just so I can enjoy my time in STO. I have no issues with the game basing content off of the latest series. But I am concerned about it. I can't help but keep thinking back to how that worked for Defiance. How the series imploded because the fanbase was at each other's throats the entire time and how it's just an empty husk of a dead dream as a game being maintained by Trion Worlds. I don't want that to happen to STO and yet I see that it may be headed in that direction, all thanks to the heavy focus on Discovery, a series that has divided the Trek fanbase more than it has excited it. Something is wrong here, Captains. And I'm not sure what it really even is that is wrong like this.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Meanwhile I'm only feeling my initial concerns, the more that I read these forums, are becoming reality. I have not logged into this game for like 2 months now because I legitimately was mortified to have to see how Zone chat was going to be to this, and I'm debating canceling my patch now and turning tail and run because now THIS WON'T STOP FOR 6 MONTHS. I have yet to watch Discovery, I'll admit, not STRICTLY because it didn't appeal, but because of finances at the time, a situation that still remains. I thought it could have been better. In fact, I think it SHOULD have been better from day 1 given the amount of additional time they took. But I don't HATE it. But to bring this into this game like this...it's asking for the division that we have had and seen here, and I more than likely now will be turning off Zone chat just so I can enjoy my time in STO. I have no issues with the game basing content off of the latest series. But I am concerned about it. I can't help but keep thinking back to how that worked for Defiance. How the series imploded because the fanbase was at each other's throats the entire time and how it's just an empty husk of a dead dream as a game being maintained by Trion Worlds. I don't want that to happen to STO and yet I see that it may be headed in that direction, all thanks to the heavy focus on Discovery, a series that has divided the Trek fanbase more than it has excited it. Something is wrong here, Captains. And I'm not sure what it really even is that is wrong like this.

You do not have to worry too much about that, AoD has actually worked reasonably well and there are relatively few arguments about DSC vs original Prime in zone chat. Political arguments on the other hand are very frequent and increasing as the midterm elections approach, though they should die down again after that I think (and that seems to be true of most other games at this point as well).

If you can afford the AoD starter package with the T1-4 Walker I would strongly recommend getting it, it is different enough to make it seem less like just starting yet another generic Federation character since it breaks the usual progression routine up a bit.

Also, the new Starbase One que and a few others are accessible earlier so it changes the dynamics of leveling a bit which is a relief after running a number of Feds already. Another pleasant thing from my point of view, I have always liked crosstime stories (I was a big fan of Andre Norton's books) so the Specters episode kind of takes on a new meaning coming from the AoD universe, going forward to the game "present" and then going back to the very different TOS timeline that kind of revitalizes it even though the episode itself has not changed any.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User

Understandable. STO's Zone Chat has actually become more toxic in recent years; even before any announcements for AoD have been made. There is an epidemic of STUPID, which unfortunately cultivates and feeds moronic and childish behavior. The 'plague' of Toxic Chat in MMOs is widespread, and is in all three of the MMOs I play. Hence I am more and more, using options of muting local chats using an alt channel, such as Fleet or RP tabs which have Local & Zone turned off.
    And I agree, the Divisiveness of the community over AoD/DSC is painful to see. Trek fandom should be more tolerant, not intolerant.
    And far too much politics. If I wanted politics i'd be tuning in to the NEWS, not logging into a GAME.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Sounds really good! :)

I've really grown to like my AoD character and I look forward to plenty more DISCO related content in the game. With only the starting experience and a couple of AoD missions, I've been left hungry for MOAR!!! :D There are still a lot of things from the show I hope make it to the game like the tactical vest! *wink, wink* ;)
    I do like the DISCO aesthetics and I think Cryptic did a wonderful job bringing them to STO, the Walker bridge is awesome, the Nimitz Class is amazing and the starter Malachowsky Class looks so nice that I truly hope it makes it to T6, if not as a stand-alone at least as a T6 Miranda skin.

And really people, chill out and enjoy the game. AoD has barely even begun, of course it would be all AoD related content on this 6 month roadmap. If anything, I'd expect AoD to continue at least for a year - year and a half if not more, cause it ties nicely with the Season 2 of DISCO and we seemingly have CBS on board for all of this, which is pretty great actually.

So yeah, exciting news and really looking forward to the continuation of the AoD storyline and related content in the game!
    Thanks Cryptic for the transparency and sharing the roadmap with us. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg

I've really grown to like my AoD character and I look forward to plenty more DISCO related content in the game. With only the starting experience and a couple of AoD missions, I've been left hungry for MOAR!!! :D There are still a lot of things from the show I hope make it to the game like the tactical vest! *wink, wink* ;)
    I do like the DISCO aesthetics and I think Cryptic did a wonderful job bringing them to STO, the Walker bridge is awesome, the Nimitz Class is amazing and the starter Malachowsky Class looks so nice that I truly hope it makes it to T6, if not as a stand-alone at least as a T6 Miranda skin.

And really people, chill out and enjoy the game. AoD has barely even begun, of course it would be all AoD related content on this 6 month roadmap. If anything, I'd expect AoD to continue at least for a year - year and a half if not more, cause it ties nicely with the Season 2 of DISCO and we seemingly have CBS on board for all of this, which is pretty great actually.

So yeah, exciting news and really looking forward to the continuation of the AoD storyline and related content in the game!
    HQroeLu.jpg

HQroeLu.jpg

So yeah, exciting news and really looking forward to the continuation of the AoD storyline and related content in the game! Thanks Cryptic for the transparency and sharing the roadmap with us. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg

So yeah, exciting news and really looking forward to the continuation of the AoD storyline and related content in the game! Thanks Cryptic for the transparency and sharing the roadmap with us. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg

HQroeLu.jpg

HQroeLu.jpg

HQroeLu.jpg

HQroeLu.jpg

HQroeLu.jpg