Install Arc

Queues/TFOs, and why most of them don't get played

1212223242527»

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »
    [...]
    If you feel you are being insulted then be the bigger man (or woman if that applies) and let is slide. To continue bickering is counterproductive.

If you don't feel I am being insulted with statements like "your toxic presence", then please let me know. But if you do, perhaps your call to "behave" should be directed at those who don't behave, and not to all who happen to be somehow involved.

But you are right, I should return to utterly ignoring the trolls.

And despite anything else being said, you're still stuck on this.

In the interest of honoring the moderator request, I guess this exchange has reached it's logical conclusion. You can't move past this and we have been asked not to engage any further. Guess that means we're done here.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    This is also why I'm personally refusing to use Plasma Storm console - it's hard to obtain and incredibly easy to cheese to ridiculous numbers (a clicky doing up to 40k DPS just by itself, really?)

Well yea I have been curious about that one. :)

How many players have you seen around actually putting it to good use? I mean I have seen quite a few throwing it as fireworks but from the few parses I was able to look at the benefit of that thing is highly circumstantial and basically requires an entire build to set around to have it perform so well. It also does not seem to be in line with current DEW-cannon build Meta which is probably why so few use it to get a better picture.

Sadly more than I'd like. Some of who have also jumped at me and claimed I don't know anything about sci builds just because they parse higher than I do. It doesn't make sci builds stronger than cannons, no; and I agree that they could use some sort of equalizer, I'm just not sure a cheesy clicky is the correct way to do this. Relying on a one trick pony as your main source of DPS is, imo, not a good game mechanic. Same way I believe that deterioriating secdefs should be toned down and base dmg-s of sci/temp abilities buffed.

Wow, completely escapes me how anybody would start to DPS name and shame over such a console. :(

I make my peace with such stuff by always asking if I want to use it or not. If I don’t I stop being concerned about any of it. Sadly we play game where we can’t just let any rules we play after be decided by cryptic cuz the past has shown too often we get it delivered simply broken. Making player sided "own" rules for a league in the name of other players can be quite hard then. But out of curiosity, if you (or I) would need to classify this console to one of the following levels:

1) Broken as it completely levels out any conventional references and is likely to be nerfed soon. (Like Kemo when it was new, the fleet lab sci consoles when they were new or now the swarmer).

2) Not WAI but which is here to stay for months or even years before it gets adjusted (like LRTS miscalculation or the Embassy plasma explosion consoles).

3) OP item leading to better results than every alternative so a default slot choice on respective builds (pre-S13 plas. Leech, EWC, Withering Barrage, DPRM).

Where would you place the Badlands console in?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    This is also why I'm personally refusing to use Plasma Storm console - it's hard to obtain and incredibly easy to cheese to ridiculous numbers (a clicky doing up to 40k DPS just by itself, really?)

How many players have you seen around actually putting it to good use? I mean I have seen quite a few throwing it as fireworks but from the few parses I was able to look at the benefit of that thing is highly circumstantial and basically requires an entire build to set around to have it perform so well. It also does not seem to be in line with current DEW-cannon build Meta which is probably why so few use it to get a better picture.

Sadly more than I'd like. Some of who have also jumped at me and claimed I don't know anything about sci builds just because they parse higher than I do. It doesn't make sci builds stronger than cannons, no; and I agree that they could use some sort of equalizer, I'm just not sure a cheesy clicky is the correct way to do this. Relying on a one trick pony as your main source of DPS is, imo, not a good game mechanic. Same way I believe that deterioriating secdefs should be toned down and base dmg-s of sci/temp abilities buffed.

Wow, completely escapes me how anybody would start to DPS name and shame over such a console. :(

I make my peace with such stuff by always asking if I want to use it or not. If I don’t I stop being concerned about any of it. Sadly we play game where we can’t just let any rules we play after be decided by cryptic cuz the past has shown too often we get it delivered simply broken. Making these decisions for a league in the name of other players can be quite hard. But out of curiosity, if you (or I) would need to classify this console to one of the following levels:

1) Broken as it completely levels out any conventional references and is likely to be nerfed soon. (Like Kemo when it was new, the fleet lab sci consoles when they were new or now the swarmer).
    2) Not WAI but which is here to stay for months or even years before it gets adjusted (like LRTS miscalculation or the Embassy plasma explosion consoles)
    3) OP item leading to better results as every alternative so a default slot choice on respective builds (old plas. Leech, EWC, DPRM)

Where would you put the Badlands console in?

Well, yeah, fortunately i manage to brush it off by realizing that 85% of their build is copied either from myself, Eli or cryjacleu anyway. :D

As for classification, I think I'd put it into 2. It's obviously not completely gamebreakingly OP and requires more investment than just "slap it on = I'm OP and ready to solo HSE", but it's, at least for me personally, stronger for a single item (especially considering it's a clicky with 2-min CD) than I'd like.
    It also comes with a pretty heavy price tag, so I can't imagine Cryptic tending to it any time soon, as like we all know - power sells, and I can imagine vocal complaints if it should ever happen.
    reyan01 wrote: »

2) Not WAI but which is here to stay for months or even years before it gets adjusted (like LRTS miscalculation or the Embassy plasma explosion consoles).

You know, I totally forgot about those consoles. Nerfed to the point of being near useless and subsequently made entirely redundant by the Research Lab Consoles.

Yeah, it's a sad story that happened to these consoles. Did they deserve the nerf? Absolutely, no one is contesting that, before they were absolutely must have and the amount of sci consoles on a ship was one of the biggest factors whether the ship is good or not. But they deserved a nerf, not a complete death sentence.
    I believe I might be the last person in game who has still one equipped on one of my builds, and even that is partly just laziness.
    edited October 2018

I make my peace with such stuff by always asking if I want to use it or not. If I don’t I stop being concerned about any of it. Sadly we play game where we can’t just let any rules we play after be decided by cryptic cuz the past has shown too often we get it delivered simply broken. Making these decisions for a league in the name of other players can be quite hard. But out of curiosity, if you (or I) would need to classify this console to one of the following levels:

2) Not WAI but which is here to stay for months or even years before it gets adjusted (like LRTS miscalculation or the Embassy plasma explosion consoles)
    3) OP item leading to better results as every alternative so a default slot choice on respective builds (old plas. Leech, EWC, DPRM)

Where would you put the Badlands console in?

Well, yeah, fortunately i manage to brush it off by realizing that 85% of their build is copied either from myself, Eli or cryjacleu anyway. :D

As for classification, I think I'd put it into 2. It's obviously not completely gamebreakingly OP and requires more investment than just "slap it on = I'm OP and ready to solo HSE", but it's, at least for me personally, stronger for a single item (especially considering it's a clicky with 2-min CD) than I'd like.
    It also comes with a pretty heavy price tag, so I can't imagine Cryptic tending to it any time soon, as like we all know - power sells, and I can imagine vocal complaints if it should ever happen.

Oh that’s good to hear and if anybody has the right to reply in such a way it is you in my oppinion.

As for the console I would have even placed it more into level 3) here. Then again I’m a noob with exotic builds and have yet to discover how to get it to performing well in standards like ISA. I have yet to see overall DPS increase for me there over it. Would have to set up the map by the team accordingly I presume. But certainly, judging from other maps where some exotics can punch hard when chained like in CCA or HSE I can see that console to have an over performing impact already.
    animated.gif
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    @tunebreaker surely if you cut the hands off an “evil DPSer” to nerf his DPS he’ll just use another appendage to mash spacebar??

:o
    SulMatuul.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    hey, if a pair of people can play a piano rather damn well with that appendage, someone in STO can DPS with it no problem​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited October 2018

You know, I totally forgot about those consoles. Nerfed to the point of being near useless and subsequently made entirely redundant by the Research Lab Consoles.

Well yea sadly they were so strong that even on tac focused loadouts you rather slot them for sci than tac for tac consoles. Record runs back at the day where favored by sci scims because of them.

Unfortunately with the way they were nerfed DEW sci ships got the hardest beating forcing one back to alternatives. Classic approaches are EPG/kinetics which we set up together in the other thread.

As for DEW/exotic I managed to finally get good results with cannons on a sci ship build around the two storie’s Polaron sets. I gathered the resources for Zarlotte’s Annorax the past few months. Diamond DPS in pugs works depending on the team. Still knowing that I’d probably be better off by setting that sci char on a Vanguard Warship going full cannons leaves me with a bad taste to it. :'(
    animated.gif
    Yup. Those consoles were only meant to supplement damage from weapons but they became more vital than the guns themselves.
    When a sci console is more important to damage output than a tac console buffing the damned guns something ain’t right.
    SulMatuul.png
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Yup. Those consoles were only meant to supplement damage from weapons but they became more vital than the guns themselves.
    When a sci console is more important to damage output than a tac console buffing the damned guns something ain’t right.

My particle emission plasma and gravimetric torpedoes would like to have a talk with you. ;)
    animated.gif
    > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > lordsteve1 wrote: »
    >
    > Yup. Those consoles were only meant to supplement damage from weapons but they became more vital than the guns themselves.
    > When a sci console is more important to damage output than a tac console buffing the damned guns something ain’t right.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > My particle emission plasma and gravimetric torpedoes would like to have a talk with you. ;)

Lol yeah my own torps are giving me funny looks too....
    SulMatuul.png
  • cha0tic1acha0tic1a Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Some random thoughts from a random player.

I can do enough to keep me from blowing up and my personal record is 1st place six times in a row in CCA so I kinda know the basics or there are some seriously bad players out in space. Or I'm good and guessing at what works, which is probably more likely rather than any 'skillz' I have.

I can sense when I know it's going to be a tricky run...a team full of players called 'Kirk' or 'Death Reaper' doesn't fill me with hope. Seeing a whole line of red blobs showing multiple systems damaged when everyone first warps in is also a very bad sign, as does seeing two or three BOFF powers being activated ever through out the run. Also ships with hangers not launching pets ever makes me pull my sad face.

Seeing this more and more to the point I only do random queues when bored. And I have no answer to this problem, players do need to do them to get marks to get rep/fleet gear but it is annoying that they can't stick to 'normal' until they are familiar with a queues' mechanics or their captain/BOFF abilities. Or flying their ship, a good pilot with bad gear seems to do better than a bad pilot with good gear.

Perhaps beginning players need a practice room to learn these things before jumping into queues hoping to be carried by others?
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    cha0tic1a wrote: »
    Also ships with hangers not launching pets ever makes me pull my sad face.

I wouldn't let that bother you pet UI on the vast majority of them is so poor that it isn't worth launching them, There are some exceptions that can be counted on 1 hand with fingers to spare
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Ah, but is it equipped as one of your builds, or is it just equipped because you don't have an actual build anymore and haven't gotten around to actually installing a build on that ship at this point?

It's on my actual, most developed endgame build. USS Buteo Regalis, also displayed in my signature.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Well yea sadly they were so strong that even on tac focused loadouts you rather slot them for sci than tac for tac consoles. Record runs back at the day where favored by sci scims because of them.

Unfortunately with the way they were nerfed DEW sci ships got the hardest beating forcing one back to alternatives. Classic approaches are EPG/kinetics which we set up together in the other thread.

As for DEW/exotic I managed to finally get good results with cannons on a sci ship build around the two storie’s Polaron sets. I gathered the resources for Zarlotte’s Annorax the past few months. Diamond DPS in pugs works depending on the team. Still knowing that I’d probably be better off by setting that sci char on a Vanguard Warship going full cannons leaves me with a bad taste to it. :'(
    I actually still use plasma exploders on one of my builds. It's no longer able to do 10k damage each time it procs, but it still does enough to matter.

Also I actually use one of the non-explodey Rom Embassy consoles.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited October 2018

I actually still use plasma exploders on one of my builds. It's no longer able to do 10k damage each time it procs, but it still does enough to matter.

Also I actually use one of the non-explodey Rom Embassy consoles.

Well yea, I also ended up finding still use for the + threat component of the embassy consoles. On tanks and/or builds that feed of aggro.

The damage dealing part of them (explosions) are however out of the field for me. Simply too many +dmg, +bonus dmg/crits or set items are around than to keep them viable on my builds. The number of OP consoles and situational OP consoles also does not seem to dry up in this Cryptic game we play.
    animated.gif
This discussion has been closed.