test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Queues/TFOs, and why most of them don't get played

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Better combat performance is kinda the point to collecting improved gear...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »
    I had a very old key bind bug that hit me in a queue. Instead of activating my main shield heal I'd set off my fireworks and then promptly blow up. Often wonder what people where thinking after seeing me do this several times in a row.
    You see what I mean? THIS is why you have to do a pre-flight checklist after messing with anything, otherwise nothing works!
    Actually I don't see what you mean. You're back to creating false drama by overstatement or by creative portrail of another's post.

The incident described involved a very old and rarely seen keybind bug that doesn't involve self destruct, macros, or messing with things. It involves the shift key. It's similar in some respects to what happens upon occasion currently when the game forgets your ground keybinds (usually in the middle of something like MIE). In the couple times it's shown up over the past >7 years you can learn to recognize it and the workaround is to simply revert to manual activating powers with your mouse via the screen.

I still maintain that changing a single space boff ability or console or ground kit ability to be more effective in an RTFO is easily achievable and reliable.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    I had a very old key bind bug that hit me in a queue. Instead of activating my main shield heal I'd set off my fireworks and then promptly blow up. Often wonder what people where thinking after seeing me do this several times in a row.
    You see what I mean? THIS is why you have to do a pre-flight checklist after messing with anything, otherwise nothing works!
    Actually I don't see what you mean. You're back to creating false drama by overstatement or by creative portrail of another's post.

The incident described involved a very old and rarely seen keybind bug that doesn't involve self destruct, macros, or messing with things. It involves the shift key. It's similar in some respects to what happens upon occasion currently when the game forgets your ground keybinds (usually in the middle of something like MIE). In the couple times it's shown up over the past >7 years you can learn to recognize it and the workaround is to simply revert to manual activating powers with your mouse via the screen.

I still maintain that changing a single space boff ability or console or ground kit ability to be more effective in an RTFO is easily achievable and reliable.
    Or the shift+enter one? I HATE that one! It took me an hour to figure it out the first time, mainly because all the text was too low-rez to be readable. I don't understand why anyone would want a hot-key for that in the first place.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Sure. But by how much better, that is a relevant question, and for STO the answer is simply "way, way, way too much".

When people can "carry the PUG" by doing the damage for the whole PUG, they do that. What do they not do then? That's right, they do NOT talk to the others, explain the map to them, and make them better players by leading. They do NOT interact with the other players anymore (because they don't have to), and the game becomes much less of an experience. Quite the opposite of what game designers would want.

Let us say the basic, well-thought-through build without any special gear did X dps against a stationary, defenseless, unshielded target if positioned optimally. Adding special gear (including boff abilities, traits, stat optimization beyond the obvious, etc.) SHOULD, if it was all thought through, allow you to maybe double that to almost 2X, but not more. Adding one more special gear should then increase that again, but the optimal DPS should, if the 5-man-team is supposed to be the norm for TFO's, only approach 2X asymptotically, but never reach it.

But what it does in STO is that it allows you to make it more than 20X. And at a point long before that, the whole concept of the game as a cooperative, engaging effort breaks.

Yes, I know, some people have fun with that, and that's okay. But the devs don't want "some people". They want (and need to want) "more people". For that, the reachable DPS numbers are too high.

And yet again, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. All I can say is that good thing devs are at least smarter than you.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Well DPS is king, this is a combat game where the timers and objective's for a lot of missions require killing NPC's to achieve them, so more DPS better the odds.
    There are channels that can help you with builds or advice Redditchat seems decent. The DPS Numbers channels used to be a really decent place but after my experience today and being around those channels when they originally formed way back when it was dps 5000k they are no longer relevant and been in steady decline for a while due to Cryptic's changes to the meta, people leaving the game and poor moderation of the channels (To many little pricks trying to be big ones).
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Can we please stop sniping each other? Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch

Sure. But by how much better, that is a relevant question, and for STO the answer is simply "way, way, way too much".

When people can "carry the PUG" by doing the damage for the whole PUG, they do that. What do they not do then? That's right, they do NOT talk to the others, explain the map to them, and make them better players by leading. They do NOT interact with the other players anymore (because they don't have to), and the game becomes much less of an experience. Quite the opposite of what game designers would want.

Let us say the basic, well-thought-through build without any special gear did X dps against a stationary, defenseless, unshielded target if positioned optimally. Adding special gear (including boff abilities, traits, stat optimization beyond the obvious, etc.) SHOULD, if it was all thought through, allow you to maybe double that to almost 2X, but not more. Adding one more special gear should then increase that again, but the optimal DPS should, if the 5-man-team is supposed to be the norm for TFO's, only approach 2X asymptotically, but never reach it.

But what it does in STO is that it allows you to make it more than 20X. And at a point long before that, the whole concept of the game as a cooperative, engaging effort breaks.

Yes, I know, some people have fun with that, and that's okay. But the devs don't want "some people". They want (and need to want) "more people". For that, the reachable DPS numbers are too high.

And yet again, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. All I can say is that good thing devs are at least smarter than you.

That is a very thorough and convincing argument full of witty insights that I really need to consider.

Look, the thing is player skill plays huge part when it comes to doing DPS numbers, or ATKS-in numbers, or HPS numbers - whatever.
    We can take a look at these 2 builds:
    https://old.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/7zjs5s/uss_fires_of_orion_a_300k_cca_dps_heavy/
    https://old.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/6o0128/uss_feathergrass_minelayertroop_transport_frigate/

Both are, objectively, not optimal at all. Yet, both Callen and Choro being awesome players, have made them work sufficiently well. I'd say way over 20x your average failpugs does. The only way you could really effectively nerf them is, idk, breaking into their homes and cutting off their hands or something. They already use combinations that don't really work very well together. Or would you really go out of your way and suggest Cryptic to nerf mines and boarding parties just because one player managed to get them perform adequately enough (meaning more than 2x better than "a build without any special gear" would do), for crying out loud?
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2018

What a ridiculous statement this is.

No group in STO has done more to try and help and educate players then the DPS League.. not even close. They post lengthy explanations of build synergies, post build links, videos, etc. Have you ever asked a question in DPS Bronze or any other channel? You know what you get? Help.. tons of it. In fact, the biggest problem is often times so many people speak up that it's hard to filter all of it. Who do you think contributes to the build reddit? who do you think answers player questions both here and on reddit? You? Exactly what the hell have you done?

I'll tell you what you have done, you have sat back and passed judgment non stop since the day your darkened this forum with your toxic presence. You have criticized and picked people apart while doing absolutely NOTHING to help anyone. All you do is sit here and pass judgments on a community you know nothing about because it gives you some smug sense of false security. You attack posters that actually help people and contribute nothing in the process. You want to see the element that's killing the community, try looking in a mirror.

If you want to argue that DPS being the answer to all is bad game design, then cool.. you probably won't get much resistance on that argument. But your constant efforts to paint DPS oriented players as some cancer in the community just shows how little you really understand about the STO community as a whole.
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Involve the player, not the player's build(with the player only pressing space).
    /--/
    They don't even understand how "has higher DPS due to gear and stufff" has NOTHING to do with being "advanced".

I dare you to copy either one of my builds (links to both are in my signature) and then let's see how much DPS you can actually do. There's so much more to this than just copying a build and then mashing spacebar.

Yeah, sure. In fact, you probably could do that DPS without all that gear and those traits, right. They are just there for cosmetic purposes.

Your point being...?[...]

You mean apoart from what I have been writing the whole time?

Well yea. Because nothing you have said so far can be understood even a little. I mean what are you trying to do, convince anybody that ISA or other advanced maps are supposed to be hard and they would suddenly be again if DPSer would lose their powers?! I hate to bring it to you but you could gimp us down to shuttlecrafts and we’d still manage.

In my entire time of playing this game there have been but a handful of maps which force a team to think a bit out of the DPS box or come up with strategies and dense interaction to beat it. All the rest is just consumed faster with DPS but not more difficult game sided. This game is an autowin on advanced and it is completely WAI when you take a look at the player base.

From all the guys in these forums there never was anybody as persistently as you are to try to find comfort into thinking that DPSer could do no good when their power would be taken away from them. Lol, requesting others to loose traits and gear to come down to your levels; as we would need to prove anything to you. :D

How about the other way around for a change, challenge seeker? How about you get your Europa, hm? Make a build for it by not taking any advice from anybody to set it up and see how you beat FEZ and Gauntlet Elite then. When you are done make a log or make a video and let us have a share in your better than just DPS skills. We would certainly understand your “points” a bit better then, not to mention take what you write here seriously. ;)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited October 2018
    [Edit] - Nevermind, can't say it better then it's already been said.
    edited October 2018

I would love to see that, but of course he won't do it.

He's had the same agenda from day one, antagonizing DPS players because they do what he can't. He's transparent, petty and pathetic and overall not worth your time.
    [Edit] - Nevermind, can't say it better then it's already been said.

Well yea! You got to the core of it already perfectly: He couldn’t *and* he wouldn’t; with the latter being the actual problem.

I mean players like @tunebreaker do something wonderful for the community. They use parts of their free time to take a deep dive into this games mechanics. They sort it, put it into easy to understand context and serve it to the community on a silver platter. When they are lucky enough they get a thank you once in a while and the rest of us just can take thier results for free as a big head start and put it to good use.

Everybody can, just not the scrub. Such stuff is in direct violation with his way of thinking because it immediately forces him on a direct competitive plain leading from wouldn’t to couldn’t.

Lol, nobody needs to bring the mega DPS to the game, nobody needs to be best. I’m certainly not but at the moment I begin to think about changing the rules of the game because I can’t play by them I guess I would be much better off finding something else to play. An arcade game or whatever. :D
    animated.gif
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    @sophlogimo @azrael605 @peterconnorfirst @seaofsorrows
    This is aimed at those who continued to argue after BMR told everyone to stop sniping
    KIDS BEHAVE!

BMR has already said the sniping (and with that veiled insults) should stop. This will only result in this topic being closed while there is potential to bring some real suggestions on how to improve.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited October 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @sophlogimo said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > [...]
    > The stupidity of others is not something I believe the devs should worry about.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well, they want the money of those people, so they'll have to look at what makes them buy stuff... or not.
    >
    > but yeah, I know. This is all too complicated for the average forumite. There cannot be a connection between the out of control DPS and the decline of the game, right.

The DPS community is a minority in STO, and they have been given massively out of proportion consideration already. That needs to stop. That minority is not what drives the game, never has been. As for the supposed "decline of the game" from my point of view this has been one of the best years the game has had. Catering to DPS has diminished, less copy paste ship designs, massive improvements in cutscene animation, and more.

Well there is an interesting point you bring up here, one I could never clear up for myself.

I don’t think there is any concrete form of definition as to what a DPSer is. If you take the way our channels are structured as means to define it every player pulling 10k in ISA is already a “Broze DPSer” as we found over the years that he ads enough to a team to conclude any advanced difficulty map. A similar threshold we set around 80k as “Gold DPS” pretty much does the same for Elite maps up to FEZ. Sure DPS can be pushed a lot further but even there it is hard to find a solid definition as to what a true (?) DPSer is. I mean I have seen players push “Diamond DPS” without ever parsing themselves, They just giving in to some potent build options and particepate the benefits team play can offer. My best bud for example is such a guy. Now with over 200k DPS but never ever parsing, is he a DPSer or not?

If our channel definition is acceptable to you our Database shows some solid numbers if you like. For the recent ViL release for example some 100 players in game managed “Diamond” while almost 4000 (!) players are considered “Bronze DPSer” by our definition whether they agree with being a DPSer or not.

In any case we can also discuss if cryptic stopped catering to “us” with their post S13 releases. I can assure you, they have not. I so wish they had but, heh, they don’t. :|
    animated.gif
    But the tools that the game provides to MECHANICALLY increase DPS vastly (you know, things like Kemocite Laced Weaponry, or Spire tacical consoles, or SRO boffs, or expensive ship traits, even simple things like APB and CRF, or even weapons power setting, or aux power setting in combination with EPG consoles, etc.) are a problem for the reasons I have explained many times.

Look, like these things or not, they're part of the game and always will be. Things like powerful ships and traits sell well, it's not going to change. Do you believe the game could sustain itself on selling cosmetics only? Do you really believe that the bulk of the player base would remain if all these things were taken away?

In a scenario where there is no real 'end game' playing to improve performance is all many players have after they have done everything that there is to do. Do you honestly believe that taking that away would leave the game in a form that could be sustained more then a couple months?
    Are you saying that I am "not behaving" because I am being insulted without provocation again and again?

Stop playing the victim, you're just as guilty as anyone else and you know it.
    edited October 2018
    questerius wrote: »
    This is aimed at those who continued to argue after BMR told everyone to stop sniping
    KIDS BEHAVE!

BMR has already said the sniping (and with that veiled insults) should stop. This will only result in this topic being closed while there is potential to bring some real suggestions on how to improve.

I agree with you and thank you for the reminder. :)
    KIDS BEHAVE!
    [...]

Are you saying that I am "not behaving" because I am being insulted without provocation again and again?

Perhaps the focus of the discussion should be directed beyond isA finally. Just a suggestion. This thread was never about it. Why this most easy of all maps in game is constantly being pointed out to surface “broken” game mechanics is nothing but a sad joke.

I say players should take those “broken” mechanics or any other skills they prefer instead to Dranuur Gauntlet Elite and take a good look as to what focus endgame content is being aimed at.

Have fun! When you have completed it you will certainly understand why players feel provoked by you. ;)

animated.gif

I say players should take those “broken” mechanics or any other skills they prefer instead to Dranuur Gauntlet Elite and take a good look as to what focus endgame content is being aimed at.

Have fun!

Amen to that.. especially if they draw the Voth.

There is definitely content in this game that requires all the gear, traits, and most importantly skill that a player can muster. He/She will also need a good team. There is a wide variety of difficulty in this game ranging from snooze fest to a battle that will take everything you have.

Concentrating only on things like ISA and using that as a universal standard is a flawed argument at best.
    [...]
    Look, the thing is player skill plays huge part when it comes to doing DPS numbers

Okay, maybe this is just a misunderstanding based on vague terminology.

I do not care at all about the numbers, not really. What I do care about is the gaming experience. And yes, people with good understanding of the TFO's objectives and the enemy's weakness will and should absolutely influence, even multiply, the damage done, and thus reduce the time to complete the TFO or a given part of it. I commend everybody who can do that based on this alone. That is good gameplay, and fun to both observe and do.

But the tools that the game provides to MECHANICALLY increase DPS vastly (you know, things like Kemocite Laced Weaponry, or Spire tacical consoles, or SRO boffs, or expensive ship traits, even simple things like APB and CRF, or even weapons power setting, or aux power setting in combination with EPG consoles, etc.) are a problem for the reasons I have explained many times.

See, a guy who has all the best skills, tactics and understanding of powers IN ADDITION to an optimized build with all the most expensive tools can apparently do in excess of 500k DPS in this game. Give his build to a newbie who merely understands he has to press all the damage increase buttons, and he will still do game-breaking DPS (which is, shockingly, less than 1/10th of the above number). Give the skilled guy a newbie build ship, and he will still achieve acceptable DPS, but not game-breakingly so. So OBVIOUSLY, the problem isn't the skill of the guy, but the tools. The GAME DESIGN. The BROKEN MECHANICS I mentioned earlier.

Just to point this out once again because the same people, including you, will refuse to understand why such ultra-high mechanical DPS is a problem: They (THE MECHANICS, not some players!) turn STO from a combat game into a shooting gallery game - no tension, just yawning and killing things that have no chance, and not even learning how a TFO actually works, like ISA where people don't even know they can't kill the gate directly, because they never get a chance to find out. STO is supposed to be a Star Trek game. That means at least a certain similarity to the things we see on screen should be observable, and ultra-high DPS prevents that. This is, by the way, also a problem with the way STO does difficulty settings: By increasing enemy hitpoints and damage. What a higher difficulty should ACTUALLY mean is it should require more careful positioning and better team coordination (NO, stacking APB isn't what I mean here; this is about "you do X while I do Y, wait for my signal to do Z, possibly in different parts of he map").

I have explained this so many times now, and the same few people will just scream how they insist on feeling insulted, when I am talking about the mechanics and why they are problematic, not the people who just use them.

But guess what - situations like you describe don't happen. Give an optimized build to someone totally clueless and I can't ever see them beating 50k (using your 1/10 of 500k as an example here). They'll perhaps do 30k, at best. And even 50k DPS is not a "game-breakingly" large number, you can't even solo-save ISAs optional with 50k.
    And sure, items like that exist, that allow completely bad players to do tons of DPS (Hur'q beacon and Hive Defenses trait, for example), and guess what - almost everyone in DPS leagues are *against* these items and asking for fix/nerf ASAP. Both numbers and metals have banned all uploads of runs that contain Hur'q swarmers in them. If something is truly broken, you can bet we DPSers will complain. This is also why I'm personally refusing to use Plasma Storm console - it's hard to obtain and incredibly easy to cheese to ridiculous numbers (a clicky doing up to 40k DPS just by itself, really?)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    KIDS BEHAVE!
    [...]

If you feel you are being insulted then be the bigger man (or woman if that applies) and let is slide. To continue bickering is counterproductive.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited October 2018
    This is also why I'm personally refusing to use Plasma Storm console - it's hard to obtain and incredibly easy to cheese to ridiculous numbers (a clicky doing up to 40k DPS just by itself, really?)

Well yea I have been curious about that one. :)

How many players have you seen around actually putting it to good use? I mean I have seen quite a few throwing it as fireworks but from the few parses I was able to look at the benefit of that thing is highly circumstantial and basically requires an entire build to set around to have it perform so well. It also does not seem to be in line with current DEW-cannon build Meta which is probably why so few use it to get a better picture.
    animated.gif
    edited October 2018
    But guess what - situations like you describe don't happen. Give an optimized build to someone totally clueless and I can't ever see them beating 50k (using your 1/10 of 500k as an example here). They'll perhaps do 30k, at best. And even 50k DPS is not a "game-breakingly" large number, you can't even solo-save ISAs optional with 50k.
    And sure, items like that exist, that allow completely bad players to do tons of DPS (Hur'q beacon and Hive Defenses trait, for example), and guess what - almost everyone in DPS leagues are *against* these items and asking for fix/nerf ASAP. Both numbers and metals have banned all uploads of runs that contain Hur'q swarmers in them. If something is truly broken, you can bet we DPSers will complain. This is also why I'm personally refusing to use Plasma Storm console - it's hard to obtain and incredibly easy to cheese to ridiculous numbers (a clicky doing up to 40k DPS just by itself, really?)

Skill is without a doubt the biggest part of the equation and anyone that thinks otherwise is diluting themselves.

I can take the same ship with the same build as a couple people I know and they will double or sometimes triple my DPS almost every time. Why would that be? We're all using the best traits, ships and items in the game.. so if skill isn't part of it then how is it that just copy/pasting a build doesn't get me the same DPS as the person posting the build?

Because I am simply not as good of a pilot as the people getting the higher numbers. And I'll be honest here.. I am good at this game.. I know how to build a ship and I know what I am doing. Some just have more skill then me and that's perfectly fine. I am quite happy with where I am and I highly respect those that have excelled so far past me. I have gone as far as my gear alone can carry me and I have been improving my numbers recently due to changing tactics and learning from my mistakes.

I have said it before, and I'll probably say it a thousand more times.. just getting all the 'best stuff' in the game will only get you so far. The gear is obtainable by anyone that wants to get it, but there is only one thing that separates the top players from the rest of the pack.

Skill.

And like you, I refuse to use Hive Defenses or any other obviously broken item. :wink:
    This is also why I'm personally refusing to use Plasma Storm console - it's hard to obtain and incredibly easy to cheese to ridiculous numbers (a clicky doing up to 40k DPS just by itself, really?)

Well yea I have been curious about that one. :)

How many players have you seen around actually putting it to good use? I mean I have seen quite a few throwing it as fireworks but from the few parses I was able to look at the benefit of that thing is highly circumstantial and basically requires an entire build to set around to have it perform so well. It also does not seem to be in line with current DEW-cannon build Meta which is probably why so few use it to get a better picture.

Sadly more than I'd like. Some of who have also jumped at me and claimed I don't know anything about sci builds just because they parse higher than I do. It doesn't make sci builds stronger than cannons, no; and I agree that they could use some sort of equalizer, I'm just not sure a cheesy clicky is the correct way to do this. Relying on a one trick pony as your main source of DPS is, imo, not a good game mechanic. Same way I believe that deterioriating secdefs should be toned down and base dmg-s of sci/temp abilities buffed.
This discussion has been closed.