test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gravity Kills - Let's collect some tactics for this one

sophlogimosophlogimo Member Posts: 6,507 Arc User
In Gravity Kills, I regularly see people not really using the map. That can draw out the TFO much longer than it would need to be. I just had to finish one alone because of this.

A few things that work for me:

- Use Tractor Beam Repulsors (TBR) to push enemies into the black hole.
- DO NOT USE GRAVITY WELL (GW). This will usually just stop others from using TBR as described above. It is bad enough that USS Jupiter does this, but at least she stays away from the black hole.
- Slot at least one copy of Emergency Power to Engines. This in combination with Evasive maneuvers can make it unnecessary to warp out of the event horizon, even when the game sais otherwise.
- If you notice that your team and USS Jupiter are overwhelmed in the third stage (where it usualy happens, if it happens, because people mindlessly try to DPS their way out of this instead of using TBR), fly widely around the opposition towards the backside of the Tzenkethi station, to collect particles and deliver them. Sure, Jupiter willl go to 0 hp, and the optional will be lost, but at least you can finish the mission.

Feel free to criticize constructively, add or comment with the intent of making some kind of established concensus on how we should usually approach this mission, as was done long ago with ISA, KSA and CSA, before all the DPS powercreep made that a lost art for those TFO's.
Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    All good suggestions. Problem just is, that 'Gravity Kills' painfully exposes a weakness of the RTFO system: namely its randomness. If I know I'm going to play Gravity Kills, I will fit for it accordingly. But it's all random, so I usually just warp in with my ship (currently) meant to mainly deal with SB1.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    All good suggestions.

Thanks. I imagine if people actually all select their boff powers in accordance with this, the mission should become much easier to PUG.
    Problem just is, that 'Gravity Kills' painfully exposes a weakness of the RTFO system[...]

I strongly believe you should discuss that in an appropriate thread, and NOT HERE.

Nevertheless, I believe the RTFO system really *is* the reason that particular queue goes so badly, currently. Ignoring the main reason (or rather, assuming ppl simply don't know how to play it) feels a mite weird. But fair enough, I'll leave that to another thread.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    michaelsdstmichaelsdst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    No, idea. Hate that TFO. Sorry.
    GIVE US THE TYPHOON! Enough said...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Using the Black Hole in various ways used to work. Unfortunately the pull seems to now only affect players. My fleet used to enjoy throwing the Tzenkethi into the black hole as it was using the environment to our advantage. But now... I don't even know if that's viable in any capacity short of a kamikazi Repulsor charge to get them into the kill zone.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    If I know I'm going to play Gravity Kills, I will fit for it accordingly.

You can highly specialize in GK tactics but the highlights (TBR, EPE) are boff powers that can be slotted in when out of combat. That's what I did today when playing GK through a random TFO, worked out just fine (not ideal but still a good move.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

This has been changed now so that the Tzenkethi are immune to the pull of the singularity. Which is a shame as it ruins what was a nice tactic a sci ship could use to help clear mobs away.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

This has been changed now so that the Tzenkethi are immune to the pull of the singularity. Which is a shame as it ruins what was a nice tactic a sci ship could use to help clear mobs away.

That really IS a shame.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Are you sure? I was using TBR yesterday to clear mobs by pushing them into the singularity. It seemed to work just fine.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    I think he might be confusing "Tzenkethi do not naturally get sucked in passively" with "Tzenkethi cannot be pushed in". The first is just something that allows the poor AI to cope with such a map at all, otherwise you could just sit there and wait for them all to crash on their own. The latter is hokey BS, and apparently is not actually present.

No.

Perhaps a lack of clarity on my part initially. The Tzenkethi's cannot be killed by the singularity, be they pushed there by players or fall there naturally.

I've just played this mission and despite near constant attempts by myself over the entire duration of the mission to use TBR to push enemies into the singularity not a single ship died that way.
    They definitely cannot be killed that way anymore.
    So they have both an immunity to being pulled naturally, but also an immunity to being killed by it even when pushed there.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    I think he might be confusing "Tzenkethi do not naturally get sucked in passively" with "Tzenkethi cannot be pushed in". The first is just something that allows the poor AI to cope with such a map at all, otherwise you could just sit there and wait for them all to crash on their own. The latter is hokey BS, and apparently is not actually present.

No.

Perhaps a lack of clarity on my part initially. The Tzenkethi's cannot be killed by the singularity, be they pushed there by players or fall there naturally.

I've just played this mission and despite near constant attempts by myself over the entire duration of the mission to use TBR to push enemies into the singularity not a single ship died that way.
    They definitely cannot be killed that way anymore.
    So they have both an immunity to being pulled naturally, but also an immunity to being killed by it even when pushed there.

While my own information is a bit old, as last time i played this map with my sci vessel (that has TBR) was like a week before RTFO system, then I can confirm I couldn't manage to kill any tzenkethi ships (including the dreadnought) by pushing them into the black hole either.
  • Options
    wildcard#0935 wildcard Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Tzenkethi get stronger when bunched together, that info is even in the admittedly unreliable wiki.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Broln'ta_Cruiser
    Players are advised not to use Gravity Wells or Tyken's Rifts in their vicinity - when close to other Coalition vessels, this infamous cruisers are capable of extending processing beams between them, restoring their hull and making them nearly impossible to destroy.

Why the hell they decided to have the Jupiter do it is beyond me.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    with the new-ish competitive impulse engines giving you 350% speed/turning for 5 seconds the grav well should be a minimal issue at this time. I use the one that procs off engineering. Do a Aux2Sif every 15 seconds and you scoot around maps just fine, even is a big ol' cruiser.

For enemies. Intel's Viral Impulse is good for them. Make them go zooming off in different directions. Some should head to the black hole.

Always thought Gravity Kills was a good/interesting map. Sadly, few ever bothered to do it. At least now with RTFOs you can get some, ahem.. 'volunteers' to join you. ;)
  • Options
    Tzenkethi get stronger when bunched together, that info is even in the admittedly unreliable wiki.

Players are advised not to use Gravity Wells or Tyken's Rifts in their vicinity - when close to other Coalition vessels, this infamous cruisers are capable of extending processing beams between them, restoring their hull and making them nearly impossible to destroy.

In fairness though the Jupiter stays out at the fringe of the fight and really only needs to engage ships attacking it personally. The majority of the fight is happening out of its range so it doesn't seem to affect the rest of the map. Therefore the trickier parts where there's swarms of enemies round the stations seems safe of NPC fired GW's.
    It's only the players one must worry about then.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

In fairness though the Jupiter stays out at the fringe of the fight and really only needs to engage ships attacking it personally. The majority of the fight is happening out of its range so it doesn't seem to affect the rest of the map. Therefore the trickier parts where there's swarms of enemies round the stations seems safe of NPC fired GW's.
    It's only the players one must worry about then.

Think peeps 2-maned elite just fine with ignoring the Jupiter completely. Trying “to help” it is not only counterproductive as it won’t complete the mission it also poses a big danger as unnecessary agro gets directed to the Jupiter. Things get downhill especially when players die while trying “to help” the Jupiter.

https://www.sto-league.com/category/videos/

Have fun watching.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    Yeah, please refrain from linking videos like the one about Gravity Kills from the DPS league: They only show how overgearing destroys the game, and thus have no choice but to fail at teaching tactics. The guy in there doesn't even use all his powers and just blasts everything away with his DPS. He's probably not even aware of how a typical PUG will perceive Gravitys Kills, and does not HAVE TO think about creative solutions ike using TBR or proper attack angles for Tzenkethi (you should always attack them from the front, because their shields are weakest there).

No prob, glad to be of help with your "guide". ;)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, please refrain from linking videos like the one about Gravity Kills from the DPS league: They only show how overgearing destroys the game, and thus have no choice but to fail at teaching tactics. The guy in there doesn't even use all his powers and just blasts everything away with his DPS. He's probably not even aware of how a typical PUG will perceive Gravitys Kills, and does not HAVE TO think about creative solutions ike using TBR or proper attack angles for Tzenkethi (you should always attack them from the front, because their shields are weakest there).

That was my point: You were not helping with that. If you want to make a useful contribution, I suggest you make a new captain without any expensive traits or MK XV Epic gear, and no Iconian set or the like, of course. Then go and make a video about Gravity Kills Advanced, proving how superior you truly are at playing this game, offering useful tips in the process.

There you go again, gimp anybody else down to your low in the hope you turn out to be more skilled than the average. Better load up an arcade game and scrub through there, hm? In mmorpg players gather the tools they can and learn how to use them well, it can’t be helped.

How about you get a friend, make a good build and play this map on elite 2 man. Would be a tough challenge for me to do so but I’m sure you can handle… oh or are we still talking advanced? :D
    animated.gif
  • Options

That was my point: You were not helping with that. If you want to make a useful contribution, I suggest you make a new captain without any expensive traits or MK XV Epic gear, and no Iconian set or the like, of course. Then go and make a video about Gravity Kills Advanced, proving how superior you truly are at playing this game, offering useful tips in the process.

I think the video shows what can be done in the mission, and as such it's good to see the potential if people learn a few tricks and get a few key pieces of gear. And it also shows exactly what Peter & I were discussing, that the Jupiter can pretty much be ignored and is not at risk unless you draw too much aggro towards it.
    I'm guessing that the ship in that video had Competitive engines, which were giving the speed boosts to get away so fast, and the pilot ships have build in speed boosts also. I think that will potentially give some people ideas for tactics. And the guy talking explains pretty well what needs to be done as well.

No need to be so negative all the dammed time, nobody made you the police of what can/cannot be posted in this thread.
    SulMatuul.png
This discussion has been closed.