test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Types of Omni-Directional Beam Crafting

pwemademedothispwemademedothis Member Posts: 86 Arc User
Here's a thought: let us craft an omni-directional beam array using the type and proc of a beam array we sacrifice as raw material. If a crafter wants a Dominion Polaron or Romulan Plasma omni, they spend the usual required materials and a beam array (or two) of the desired type to create it or canonically "rebuild" the supplied array.

Or is there a downside to this scenario I’m not seeing?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    nixboox wrote: »
    The omnidirectional beam array is sort of a game-breaking invention as it is. Maybe they should just get rid of the beam itself and give you a slot on every ship where you can put in whatever beam you like and it will become omnidirectional.

Turrets aren't game-breaking, why are omnis?

You give up a mod (which you keep for turrets), and for episode rewards the beam itself is often weaker in exchange for the set bonus.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    The omnidirectional beam array is sort of a game-breaking invention as it is. Maybe they should just get rid of the beam itself and give you a slot on every ship where you can put in whatever beam you like and it will become omnidirectional.

Turrets aren't game-breaking, why are omnis?

You give up a mod (which you keep for turrets), and for episode rewards the beam itself is often weaker in exchange for the set bonus.
    Because omnibeams have the stats of a regular beam array IOW if it were allowed, it would be best to equip a ship with all omnibeams.

A turret with the stats of a DHC would be game-breaking too.
  • pwemademedothispwemademedothis Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    You can only equip one crafted omni at a time. I’m not proposing that change, just the expansion of the VFX and proc types available to match other available beam arrays.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I agree, a crafted one, that can only use beams that there is no omni for… Spiral Wave, Dominion, Coalition, Herald, Borg Nanite, and keep the restriction of one is ok by me.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Perhaps as an additional requirement, a component only available from that specific reputation's T6 block. It would incentivize some people to do the T6 grind. I know I have one character designated as my R&D guy, and he has all up to level 20. He is also working on all T6 reps. I would gladly run a project to acquire a specific part that could be used in any omni-beam, or wide-angle cannon to make new energy types such as the spiral disruptor or bio-matter phaser/disruptor.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I had proposed elsewhere accelerator items that provide a specific modifier which could be purchased, (EC, Dil, Zen, Lobi, and/or Marks,) from the appropriate stores. If an Omni accelerator were purchased it might be applied when crafting to create Romulan, (purchased from the Rom Rep store for Rom marks,) weapons.
  • pwemademedothispwemademedothis Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    tiekosora wrote: »
    Perhaps as an additional requirement, a component only available from that specific reputation's T6 block. It would incentivize some people to do the T6 grind. I know I have one character designated as my R&D guy, and he has all up to level 20. He is also working on all T6 reps. I would gladly run a project to acquire a specific part that could be used in any omni-beam, or wide-angle cannon to make new energy types such as the spiral disruptor or bio-matter phaser/disruptor.

What about types only available as mission rewards like Dominion Polaron, or those from lockboxes?
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    tiekosora wrote: »

What about types only available as mission rewards like Dominion Polaron, or those from lockboxes?

Trouble is some lock box weapons do come with them and some don't...most now-a-days come with them...would be nice if they want back and added them for the weapons that don't come with them at least.
This discussion has been closed.