test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What I would love to see as next DLC...

kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
Well, simply put... a huge new quadrant, explorable.
Or something explorable.

The whole of Star Trek is not war, it's not about conflict, but exploration.
"To Baldly go where no bald man went before."

So far every episode has been around conflict, conflict, more conflict, with some conflict to top it off.
And it's becoming monotone, boring, repetitive.

Sure, conflict IS a part of Star Trek, I will not deny this, but the exploration part has been completely forgotten.
Which is sad, really.
I for one always loved exploratory games, crawling through dungeons, look for new things, as it brought unexpected things along.

Sure, every so often we get a few new toys, but it is not the same as finding these.

Something that always bothered me was, you get from ship to ship to planet to base to ship to...
But never there's something one can find.
Armories are always empty or not accessible, enemies drop no gear (or gear they should not have, like a Klingon dropping earth dessert in the early conflict zones, or an armor or weapon that completely is out of place), things that absolutely make no sense.

It would be fun, if we could get a logical drop from these, but more so, to have actual explorable areas.

What do you think?
Klingons don't get drunk.
They just get less sober.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    I want to see the Alliance die.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    STO doesn't have "DLC".

well if you want to be technical everything added since launch is dlc.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I want to see the Alliance die.

also this would be nice, not gonna happen but be nice if it did.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    What azrael said, STO does not have DLC. As for "baldly going where no one has gone before", Picard already did it. Also, I disagree that every episode has been about conflict, you seem to forget the New Romulus mission arc, the conference about the Borg on DS9, the conference in the Jenolan Dyson Sphere, the beginning of Sunrise, etc. There is diplomacy and there has been conflict as well. That is nothing new in Star Trek. I don't want the Alliance to die, just maybe to show the complex interactions between the Federation, Klingons, and Romulan Republic more using flavored text. It has been tense at times (the cutscene of the Romulan Republic threatening an end to the Alliance in the episodes before Sphere of Influence iirc), so not exactly a happy Alliance. More similar to a United Nations or some other alliance. In order to have The Alliance to die, you would need to massively change the hardcode of the game, get rid of the episodes in the future that show this Alliance will happen, etc. But a lot of people do not want content removed so that is a no go.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    They just added a huge quadrant to the game a few months ago.

"enemies drop no gear" - huh?? Do you even play this game? The enemies drop so much vendor trash it's absurd - I really wish there was a way to turn off the loot drops. All of it is worthless and it just clutters up the map and screen and really reduces the quality of the game IMO. The best solution I could find is binding "pass" to my mouse click for group content. At least you can salvage that stuff now, which helps a little if you want to bother sorting through all that junk.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Andromeda galaxy... 100% original content without fear of messing around copyrights and asking for permissions. new monster/alien of the season where we can kill and exterminate without fear of consequences, new ships etc.
  • Options
    sthe91 wrote: »
    What azrael said, STO does not have DLC. As for "baldly going where no one has gone before", Picard already did it. Also, I disagree that every episode has been about conflict, you seem to forget the New Romulus mission arc, the conference about the Borg on DS9, the conference in the Jenolan Dyson Sphere, the beginning of Sunrise, etc. There is diplomacy and there has been conflict as well. That is nothing new in Star Trek. I don't want the Alliance to die, just maybe to show the complex interactions between the Federation, Klingons, and Romulan Republic more using flavored text. It has been tense at times (the cutscene of the Romulan Republic threatening an end to the Alliance in the episodes before Sphere of Influence iirc), so not exactly a happy Alliance. More similar to a United Nations or some other alliance. In order to have The Alliance to die, you would need to massively change the hardcode of the game, get rid of the episodes in the future that show this Alliance will happen, etc. But a lot of people do not want content removed so that is a no go.
    With episode I meant each new arc, Sir.
    Also, I never spoke of removing content, but about new content been added...

"enemies drop no gear" - huh?? Do you even play this game? The enemies drop so much vendor trash it's absurd - I really wish there was a way to turn off the loot drops. All of it is worthless and it just clutters up the map and screen and really reduces the quality of the game IMO. The best solution I could find is binding "pass" to my mouse click for group content. At least you can salvage that stuff now, which helps a little if you want to bother sorting through all that junk.
    kiksken wrote: »
    enemies drop no gear (or gear they should not have, like a Klingon dropping earth dessert in the early conflict zones, or an armor or weapon that completely is out of place), things that absolutely make no sense.

It would be fun, if we could get a logical drop from these
    What I meant is, they do not drop logical stuff.
    Again, in the first confrontations of Klinks vs Fed, one drops Romulan ale, for example.
    Why would he be running around with Romulan Ale, or a Banana Split, for that matter?
    I do have to agree, I put that a bit wrong there, it's is certainly not, as you pointed out, they do not drop at all, they just drop stuff one would never expect of them...

As for vendors, I know only one, his name is Replicator... XD
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Andromeda galaxy... 100% original content without fear of messing around copyrights and asking for permissions. new monster/alien of the season where we can kill and exterminate without fear of consequences, new ships etc.

Well... in Sphere of Influence, we do hear something about Gateways in Andromeda being active. AND with access to the Jouret Gate...

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to branch out into Andromeda if CBS gives the green light.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    With episode I meant each new arc, Sir.
    Also, I never spoke of removing content, but about new content been added...

enemies drop no gear (or gear they should not have, like a Klingon dropping earth dessert in the early conflict zones, or an armor or weapon that completely is out of place), things that absolutely make no sense.

It would be fun, if we could get a logical drop from these
    What I meant is, they do not drop logical stuff.
    Again, in the first confrontations of Klinks vs Fed, one drops Romulan ale, for example.
    Why would he be running around with Romulan Ale, or a Banana Split, for that matter?
    I do have to agree, I put that a bit wrong there, it's is certainly not, as you pointed out, they do not drop at all, they just drop stuff one would never expect of them...

As for vendors, I know only one, his name is Replicator... XD

I was responding to both yours, the person's comments below yours and others not solely you.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Well, simply put... a huge new quadrant, explorable.
    Or something explorable.

The whole of Star Trek is not war, it's not about conflict, but exploration.
    "To Baldly go where no bald man went before."

So far every episode has been around conflict, conflict, more conflict, with some conflict to top it off.
    And it's becoming monotone, boring, repetitive.

Sure, conflict IS a part of Star Trek, I will not deny this, but the exploration part has been completely forgotten.
    Which is sad, really.
    I for one always loved exploratory games, crawling through dungeons, look for new things, as it brought unexpected things along.

Sure, every so often we get a few new toys, but it is not the same as finding these.

Something that always bothered me was, you get from ship to ship to planet to base to ship to...
    But never there's something one can find.
    Armories are always empty or not accessible, enemies drop no gear (or gear they should not have, like a Klingon dropping earth dessert in the early conflict zones, or an armor or weapon that completely is out of place), things that absolutely make no sense.

It would be fun, if we could get a logical drop from these, but more so, to have actual explorable areas.

What do you think?

Unfortunately, we're kind of at a point where I'm not even sure where there's left to explore in the galaxy.

Beta Quadrant: This one is pretty well covered as far as local space is concerned. In fact, there's not much more they can do to expand the quadrant out anymore.

Alpha Quadrant. originally, this was a 4x5 area which encompassed a portion of Breen space, Cardassian space and Federation. In season 12, they expanded it up northward so that Ferenginar could be in the right reference point on the map they were basing their game maps on. However, this map also cannot be expanded much more northward.

Delta Quadrant: This is really one of the few places left that could have more stuff done if they were to go back and focus on it. However, given that it would have to be mostly new material, I don't think we're going to be going back there as a focus anytime soon.

Gamma Quadrant: We just got this portion finally and there's not really much they can do either with it at this point in time.

As long as we're getting Discovery Tie-in updates, we're likely not moving with another 25th century arc anytime soon.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    True...
    The Disco one has priority, which is logical.

But the universe is much bigger than mere for tiny quadrants.
    Who knows what's out there, time to go take a wee look, I say. ;)
  • Options
    They can add a secondary map, no?
    Sorry, I am not a programmer, heh...

If they could add a map, I THINK, it "could be solved"?

These discussions are actually marvelous, I learn every day. :)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    They can add a secondary map, no?
    Sorry, I am not a programmer, heh...

If they could add a map, I THINK, it "could be solved"?

These discussions are actually marvelous, I learn every day. :)
    Question isn't really "can it be done" but rather "is it worth it", it's all just code in the end but if the Devs needs to rebuild large chunks of the game to make it work it's probably not gonna happen anytime soon.

• Options
    If ever, indeed.
    But one can dream, right?
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    If ever, indeed.
    But one can dream, right?
    Obviously, one can dream. It only becomes a problem when you start to rage if your dreams aren't done.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    #1 STO does not have DLC though technically you download it. You don't pay for it so DLC is a misnomer.

#2 What I would like to see with the next expansion is the Klingons, Romulans and a few others gang up against the Federation. The whole alliance thing is old and tired. It's time to tear it down for a couple of seasons.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    #2 What I would like to see with the next expansion is the Klingons, Romulans and a few others gang up against the Federation. The whole alliance thing is old and tired. It's time to tear it down for a couple of seasons.
    Why would they? Seriously
    -The Romulan Republic only continues to exist because of the stream of supplies they get from both the Federation and Klingon Empire. They have only been on their homeworld for about 6 months in game time, and are barely functional as a galactic nation.
    -The Klingons only went to war with the Federation because of the Fed's refusal to help in the Undine crisis, and now that's solved.
    -The Cardassians were similarly saved by the Federation spending the last 30+ years helping them rebuild Cardassia after the Dominion War. They have no reason to dislike the Federation.
    -The Ferengi just don't do war in general.
    What do any of the factions have to gain from going to war with the Federation?

We are more likely to see the Breen, Tholians, Tzenkethi, Talarians, and sheliak team up to from an STO version of the Typhon Pact then see the Klingon Empire or Romulan Republic attack the Federation for literally no reason.
    Seriously? Anyone could come up with any number of reasons. It's all made up pixels.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Unfortunately, we're kind of at a point where I'm not even sure where there's left to explore in the galaxy.

Beta Quadrant: This one is pretty well covered as far as local space is concerned. In fact, there's not much more they can do to expand the quadrant out anymore.

Alpha Quadrant. originally, this was a 4x5 area which encompassed a portion of Breen space, Cardassian space and Federation. In season 12, they expanded it up northward so that Ferenginar could be in the right reference point on the map they were basing their game maps on. However, this map also cannot be expanded much more northward.

Delta Quadrant: This is really one of the few places left that could have more stuff done if they were to go back and focus on it. However, given that it would have to be mostly new material, I don't think we're going to be going back there as a focus anytime soon.

Gamma Quadrant: We just got this portion finally and there's not really much they can do either with it at this point in time.

As long as we're getting Discovery Tie-in updates, we're likely not moving with another 25th century arc anytime soon.
    Yes, based on what Cryptic has said about the map size limits in the past, we are nearly at the max.

For the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, the yellow boxed area represents the current in-game map, while the White boxed area represents the max size they could expand it
    [snip img]

The Delta Quadrant has the most room to expand, since we only have half of it in-game. The area between the two black lines represents the area we have in-game. However, due to the 8 sector map limit they could only really expand it to include the final year of Voyager's journey in the bottom part of the map, everything on the other side of the Nekrit expanse would require another map entirely.
    [snip img]

And for the Gamma Quadrant, while they can expand it quite a bit, there is the problem that the current in-game map covers most of the actual systems in the GQ. What few they don't have are all almost entirely uninhabited worlds. Really, the only "major" world not on the GQ map is Mirdian, the planet that vanished from normal space for decades
    [snip img]

One kinda minor nitpicky point?

Actually it's a pretty major point: What the in-game map depicts as known space is hilariously out of scale. Properly scaled, the area of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants depicted on those maps from Star Trek Star Charts looks like this:
    latest?cb=20141210221054

Yeah, that little tiny dot in the lower left corner? Is our home territory straddling the A/B border at the middle distance from the core. :D

Vast areas of the Milky Way remain completely untouched and there are a plethora of ways to use them. Hell, they could even use the "fly to deep space" thing for Exploration Clusters 2.0: maybe you get a randomly generated first contact mission (an actual randomly generated one, not just picked off a list like the old-style clusters), maybe you collect data from a probe or chart a planet, maybe you have a random fight, or maybe you trip a specially tagged Foundry mission and have some real fun.
    -The Romulan Republic only continues to exist because of the stream of supplies they get from both the Federation and Klingon Empire. They have only been on their homeworld for about 6 months in game time, and are barely functional as a galactic nation.
    -The Klingons only went to war with the Federation because J'mpok wanted to pick a fight with the Federation to improve his reputation, and now that's solved.
    -The Cardassians were similarly saved by the Federation spending the last 30+ years helping them rebuild Cardassia after the Dominion War. They have no reason to dislike the Federation.

We are more likely to see the Breen, Tholians, Tzenkethi, Talarians, and sheliak team up to from an STO version of the Typhon Pact then see the Klingon Empire or Romulan Republic attack the Federation for literally no reason.

FTFY.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    -The Klingons only went to war with the Federation because of the Fed's refusal to help in the Undine crisis, and now that's solved.

Seriously? Anyone could come up with any number of reasons. It's all made up pixels.

Actually, there's no logical reason for the Romulan Republic to even attack the Federation.

You have to remember that the Romulan Star Empire were antagonistic only because they felt they had a superiority complex over the rest of the galactic powers. Remember that after the first time they lost against Earth, they decided to isolate themselves for over a century just to come back and test out their technology against the Federation. Once the Klingons and Federation became more friendly, some Romulans greatly disliked this and did what they could to interfere and destablize their alliance. In STO, the Tal Shiar effectively had a hand in most of the Empire's conflicts.

The Romulan Republic on the other hand does not want to be seen as the same as the Empire, being completely secretive and antagonistic. Their goal is to one day reunify with the Vulcans so that they may be a whole society again.

The Klingons of course we know have always been a power that loves to seek battles, but they would never turn against an ally unless there was something that the ally did that would cause them to want to revoke any alliance, the biggest being the Federation's refusal to believe there was a situation with the Undine.

You can wish for a blood conflict all you want, but it's likely not going to happen.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    starswordc wrote: »
    One kinda minor nitpicky point?
    Its not even that, its entirely unrelated to anything I said at all
    A. I never stated the in-game map covered all of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. I only compared them to the Star Charts maps of the known Alpha/Beta Quadrants.
    B. The in-game map is actually perfectly in-line with the Star Charts since each sector is only 20LY wide, just like it is in the Star charts. And Cryptic got rid of the boxes in the galactic minimap specifically because they knew they were wrong, which is why they aren't there anymore, and instead there are just larger quadrant symbols now.
    C. The Star Charts themselves are inconsistent with actual Trek canon in that regard this map seen in TNG shows the Federation has explored much more then that
    FqB9AH4.jpg
    And is ironically more accurate to the old scaling used by STO's galactic mini-map, with the largest bits of unexplored space in the Alpha Quadrant in the map seen on TNG being due to the Breen and Tholian empires, as seen in the STO chart below
    oT1BqNH.jpg

This also ignoring the fact that in TNG S1E6 "Where No One Has Gone Before" it is stated that the Federation had charted 11% of the galaxy, and that by S2E10 they had charted another 8% more.

In total, we know from canon that the Federation had charted about 20% of the known galaxy, and since they didn't have access to either the Delta or Gamma Quadrant at the time, this would mean their exploration would be limited to just the Alpha and Beta quadrants. And 20% of the galaxy would equal 40% of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Again, far more then the little dot proposed by the star Charts.

You're conflating terminology: There's more ways to "chart" stars than by physically visiting in a starship. We on Earth have charted quite a bit of the galaxy in some level of detail with nothing more advanced than optical, infrared, and radio telescopes, at least enough to know locations, sizes and spectral classes of stars, and sometimes even if they're likely to have planets attached. In "Emissary", the Idran system, where the Bajoran Wormhole terminates in the Gamma Quadrant, was explicitly said to have been visited by a Federation-launched unmanned probe almost two centuries before anyone from our side of the galaxy actually physically got there.

What's depicted in the Star Charts map I linked is a rough spheroid of settled space, space that has actually been physically visited (or is within reasonable flight range to be visited) and local governments contacted by Federation authorities (or not, depending on which version of the Prime Directive they decided to use today). But the Milky Way is 100,000 light-years across and averages 1,000 light-years thick, and what's depicted even on the new overworld map is a couple roughly square chunks that are at most a few hundred light-years across. So yeah, the game map is ludicrously out of scale.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.