test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online's 2018/2019 Roadmap!

Comments

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    November
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    The poster you're being snide to has a right to their opinion, even if everybody doesn't agree with him/her. There is no need for the CDF BS here.

There's a difference in between "Actual Feedback" that can be used to constructively work on something and "Pointless Whining" that accomplishes absolutely nothing, especially if is brought to bear with such indignant behaviour that is based upon pure baseless hatred for something that doesn't even have something to do with the game itself.
    Also these guys also have their right to their own opinion about him/her...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    So it seems Discovery is going to be the main thing for 2019. That's fine by me. As long as I have the option to skip it then I am happy to ignore the existence of the content. However I am a little annoyed that there is little to no content being released for people who like Classic trek in terms of TOS, TNG DS9, Voy etc. This is meant to be Star Trek online not TRIBBLE online.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Half way suspected something was off about Cryptic. Recent cloned ships and fed tutorial. That ViL expac must of hit Cryptic harder than they are willing to admit as far as finances are concerned, being that it is written all over their roadmap, virtually little until the mid point of next year, aside from the occasional mission and event, it's rather barren.

If a Fek'ihri ship is coming, that means the Kha'fi carrier needs to be released from the Klingon faction as an exclusive ship, otherwise it makes no sense.

This is how we know STO does things though. Events like Winter Wonderland and the Anniversary event are staple events now for the game. Everything else is to pad things out.

What else do you want them to announce as part of their roadmap? When X ships are coming out?

I see, you are telling me things i already know.. do you actually have a point to make?
    Half way suspected something was off about Cryptic. Recent cloned ships and fed tutorial. That ViL expac must of hit Cryptic harder than they are willing to admit as far as finances are concerned, being that it is written all over their roadmap, virtually little until the mid point of next year, aside from the occasional mission and event, it's rather barren.

If a Fek'ihri ship is coming, that means the Kha'fi carrier needs to be released from the Klingon faction as an exclusive ship, otherwise it makes no sense.
    This is literally the exact same content release schedule Cryptic has had for years, a new mission every 2.5 to 3 months, with some smaller stuff like PVE queues in between.

And i suppose LoR, AoY and so on were just random anomalies?

If you are going to make your point, why don't you stop beat around the bush since you like doing it that way. Reply or not? i won't respond back.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    seaofsorrows. Private First Class, Third Squad, Second Platoon, "Dog" Company, 96th Fanboi Battalion, Cryptic Defense Force, has reported for duty, folks.

See how counterproductive that response was? That's in the same realm of asinine responses as yours above was.

lol.. if you think I am part of the Cyrptic Defense Force then you really have no clue at all.

Unlike you, I didn't personally insult the poster, or in your case attempt to. I would retort, but honestly it doesn't feel like it would be a fair fight.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    What are you talking about? they have removed 8 missions, only two of which had actual TOS content in them. The other 150+ missions Cryptic has released over the last 8.5 years are still in the game, exactly where they always were.
    They also removed a bunch of queues, made another 30+ queues next to impossible to play via the queue system and added 2 new missions which are broken. They also removed the great and fun SB24 and replaced it with the rubbish The Defense of Starbase One.

I am getting a bit fed up of the devs taking good content away and replacing it with worse content and then not admitting the mistake leaving us worse off. They did the same with the original Gorn Minefield, original Into the Breach, original NWS and other content which got replaced with worse versions.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    Disco part2 and 3... This is suicide... like Marvel Heroes...prepare yourself for the last year of what use to be a great game...

This is exactly what they promised it wouldn't be... all Disco all the time. Not even a mention of the coming 40th anniversary of TMP (1979-2019). Classic Trek is dead here. We can't even play the old Classic Trek content anymore because they've stripped most of it out of the game to make it TRIBBLE-compliant.

I've barely played since they announced AoSTD, and I have not logged in once since it launched. It looks like I'll not be doing so until winter event, unless they slime that with TRIBBLE oozings as well. I guess I'll be logging off again after that until summer and Risa, again on the same condition they not Disco that up too.

RIP to STO, 2010-2018. It's STDO now. The only thing they haven't done yet is change the name. But the writing is now clearly on the wall.

Does anyone have a rollback server we could play?

giphy.gif

How awful it must be for you, truly. To deal with such... difficulties. Good bye now. Don't let the doors redshirt you on the way out.

The poster you're being snide to has a right to their opinion, even if everybody doesn't agree with him/her. There is no need for the CDF BS here.

Disco part2 and 3... This is suicide... like Marvel Heroes...prepare yourself for the last year of what use to be a great game...

This is exactly what they promised it wouldn't be... all Disco all the time. Not even a mention of the coming 40th anniversary of TMP (1979-2019). Classic Trek is dead here. We can't even play the old Classic Trek content anymore because they've stripped most of it out of the game to make it TRIBBLE-compliant.

I've barely played since they announced AoSTD, and I have not logged in once since it launched. It looks like I'll not be doing so until winter event, unless they slime that with TRIBBLE oozings as well. I guess I'll be logging off again after that until summer and Risa, again on the same condition they not Disco that up too.

RIP to STO, 2010-2018. It's STDO now. The only thing they haven't done yet is change the name. But the writing is now clearly on the wall.

lol

Game is doing just fine without you.. bye!

seaofsorrows. Private First Class, Third Squad, Second Platoon, "Dog" Company, 96th Fanboi Battalion, Cryptic Defense Force, has reported for duty, folks.

See how counterproductive that response was? That's in the same realm of asinine responses as yours above was.

The primary purpose of these forums is FEEDBACK. And part of giving FEEDBACK is expressing displeasure at the state of the game, and people agreeing or disagreeing in a civil manner. If we didn't allow for that, it wouldn't be STO Forums. It would be "Fanboi Sycophant Online Forums". There are plenty of other places on the tubes if you are looking for an echo chamber. And it doesn't help the developers get a feel for the playerbase that uses the forums, to get a general idea of what works and what doesn't.

So you are basically crying about someone who is crying about someone else who is crying about content that they don't want in the game.

So now I am basically crying about someone who is crying about someone else who is crying about someone else crying about content that they don't want in the game. That was more difficult to type than I thought it was.
    edited October 2018
    Cryptic has already done this though. The Fed and Klingon tutorials, The Klingon War, Romulan Mystery, Cardassian Struggle, Borg Collective, and Undine Advance arcs have all gotten complete revamps from their old state, not to mention the ESD and DS9 revamps, and everything from Nukara/New Romulus onward is considered to be of higher quality, and thus, doesn't need polishing.

Cryptic has even revamped many of the old queues from that era such as
    -DS9 Under Siege! = Replaced with Assault on Terok Nor
    -Foxes and Hounds = Replaced with Counterpoint
    -Gorn Minefield = Replace with Romulan Minefield
    -Starbase 24 = Replace with Defense of Starbase 1

Really, the only things left for them to update are the old Federation/Klingon Empire patrols, and the unused social zones like Vulcan, Andoria, Gandala, and Deep Space K-7
    The problem is almost all the revamps are much worse then the originals including the tutorials. Its not just the queues but many of the missions are worse now as well. In many ways we are in a worse state now then when the game fist shipped. End game content has pretty much been destroyed and gone. Its all just mid game casual content now and that is no good for long term player retention.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I love this roadmap. Good communication. Nice art. Very early winter ship reveal. New boss showing the way forward?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited October 2018
    You are in the smallest minority thinking that the revamps are worse. The revamps to all the old missions have been near universally praised for being better compared to the originals in almost every way possible with the addition and inclusion of cutscenes, voice acting, better map design, enemy encounters that aren't just "beam in, kill 5 grounds in space, beam down, kill 10 groups on ground, beam up, kill 5 more groups in space" like the old missions were, and generally having a coherent story, whereas the old missions were just random one offs.
    It’s the other way around. The story is less coherent now than when the game first shipped. Same for the STF’s they are over streamlined and over dumbed down with the story cut down and team work mostly removed. The current ones are far inferior to the originals which had story and where actually rewarding, took time and had decent team work.

I am not in the smallest minority thinking that the revamps are worse. It’s the smallest minority that think things like the revamped NWS are better. It was pretty much universally slated for being made worse along with lots of other revamps. That’s not to say all revamps are worse but a great many are.

Take the current revamped queue UI its pretty much universally slated for being worse then the original.

“better map design,”
    Really! You mean like the new Minefield, new NWS or new Into the Breach or Defence of Star base 1 which all have terrible map designs now compared to the very first originals. I just tried to play though the revamped Klingon war missions and now many of the maps have been revamped with worse graphics with that horrible haze all over. But Hunt Elite springs to mind it was popular then they tweaked it and players left by mass. Another case of a bad revamp.

Take Stranded in Space the first revamp made it better. The recent revamp made it worse. Many of the starting missions have gone like this with the first revamp vastly improving them and now the recent revamp has made the worse.

“whereas the old missions were just random one offs.”
    That is not true as the original missions and original STFs had a tight coherent strong story combining them all. But all the cutting things out, revamped things and removing things has broken the original strong coherent story. The Borg STF’s are a perfect example now they are just one offs. Before they all linked together in a strong rewarding story. Pretty much all the end game style content has been removed from STO to the point where we have less now then what we had within the first few years.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    How about a month (or 2) devoted to fixing the bugs that have been around for YEARS. :/
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    I love this roadmap. Good communication. Nice art. Very early winter ship reveal. New boss showing the way forward?

Agreed
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    The content creators are not the same as the big fixers

> @dracounguis said:
    > How about a month (or 2) devoted to fixing the bugs that have been around for YEARS. :/
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    robeasom wrote: »
    So it seems Discovery is going to be the main thing for 2019. That's fine by me. As long as I have the option to skip it then I am happy to ignore the existence of the content. However I am a little annoyed that there is little to no content being released for people who like Classic trek in terms of TOS, TNG DS9, Voy etc. This is meant to be Star Trek online not TRIBBLE online.

Folks may not like it (I don't) but Discovery is Star Trek. This is Star Trek Online, not Star Trek TOS Online, ect. It makes sense they are concentrating on a current show.

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User

Do I smell Doom???
    GwaoHAD.png
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    robeasom wrote: »

Ummmmmm what??? they literately just started the Disco stuff We had that garbage show Voyager expansion , we Had TOS AoY, and we just had DS9 the greatest trek ever (even tho they didn't have the great Dukat in it)) WTH are you talking about they have never released bits of each show in one update they release an expatiation based on one of the shows

So you can wait your turn when your show comes back around on rotation just like i sat out that horrible horrible Voyager delta whatever based on that garbage Trek show Voy you can sit out DISCO
    GwaoHAD.png
  • hebdahebda Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    So there has been a lot of talk about the story in this thread, some say it is better and more coherent and others say it's not. I'm in the group that says it's not. I'll touch on just on Arc and that's the Klingon War. First, that whole arc is anything but the Klingon war. Stranded in Space starts off with Gorn ships, you beam over and there are Gorn NPCs. Once you talk to the captain, you then have Klingon NPCs, which was explained (good job on that Cryptic), but the class missions are broken, at least it was for me (As a science officer I was unable to heal the wounded NPCs). Once you get ready to beam out to your ship, your transporter officer says there is a Gorn ship coming in, nope Klingon ships, no Gorn to be seen. Then you move on to P'Jem, a brief encounter with the Klingons and you're done. They completely removed what happens after the Undine beams back to his ship. I can live with that. After that, the Klingon war seems very dry and not very interesting. Same with the Romulans and Borg Arc.

When I think "Old" or "Classic" content, I think of pretty much everything prior to the Dyson content. Those arcs certainly had their issues and they needed reworked in different ways and for different reasons, but the story has been so chopped up and diluted, that they barely, if at all, say anything about the overall story. We have gotten so mind numbed by the Allied Forces content, that the core issues between the different factions has been washed over. We are at peace with every major force in 4 quadrants. All Cryptic does now is bring in new groups to fight as an allied group. For me, that is what makes this game dry. I also have a huge issue with the overuse of temporal everything. It started with the Iconian conflict and hasn't stopped yet.

Cryptic has pretty much painted themselves into a corner with the temporal stuff. BUT, we asked for it. We wanted TOS in the game, we got it. While in retrospect I think that TOS and AoD should have been there own stories, they had to be tied into the main storyline, so here comes Daniels to time warp us into the future with our new false identities. Story content in STO has gotten better in many ways. AoD has it's ups and down, biggest issue is basically that Cryptic used the exact same tutorial and put a AoD wrapper on it. The content wasn't fresh and new. Even SFA looked the same. You mean to tell me that SFA has looked like that for a few centuries? If I personally had a choice over which facet of STO needed to be worked on first, I would honestly pick story over everything else. The individual arcs no longer have that flavor to them that made you feel like you are a part of the story. Everything is joined at the hip with temporal and allied force stuff. I mean, I get it, hard to do 3 or 4 different stories for the same content for different factions, but we really need better story telling, and story telling that involves your chosen faction from that factions POV, not this cookie cutter allied faction mess we have now. It's time to get back to the core story telling of this game, it's time for WAR!
    “In the strict scientific sense we all feed on death…..even vegetarians.” – Spock
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    looks good but is it just me they are only saying Battle of the Binary Stars for Xbox and PS4
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    I feel that, while I too lament the TRIBBLE overload, the dev blog regarding the early missions did state "Thirdly, we’ve taken out several of the Klingon War missions while we work on improving them, too." So the removed missions are not gone for good, they are just still being remastered. I feel uncharacteristically optimistic but it seems they shall return. I only hope sooner rather than later because I already have one time traveller for these kind of missions I have no use for the other.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    looks good but is it just me they are only saying Battle of the Binary Stars for Xbox and PS4

It's two separate lines.

1. Experience the legendary event (on PC)
    2. Age of Discovery on PS4 and Xbox One

Note that in January, Binary is listed as coming to consoles. ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited October 2018

AoD is really not bad aside from some annoying bugs here and there. The STO version is definitely better than the show one (for one thing ships can actually hit other ships at greater than hand-phaser ranges unlike the show). The UI changes are not part of AoD itself, they were just rolled out in the same update (and that was a mistake... bugs on top of bugs).

The Walker from the starter package is a very nice ship, and if you do not like the annoying pew-pew guns they come equipped with that is fixable with gear from other characters you might have easily enough (I have a plasma equipped Wachowsky that performed well for example) though I kind of like the blue-on-blue effect even if the noise is irritating. They even fixed the pew-pews so they almost look like a pulsed beam from the movie era instead of the blobby muzzle flash-only effect they had the first day.

Even the Wachowsky you start out with is nice if rather generic looking, and I prefer it to the TNG-ized Miranda class you get in the regular Fed startup. The JJwindows are of course a totally idiotic notion but since you never have to deal with them in combat it is a non-issue (I just like to assume blast doors close like Seaview had and a main screen drops down, the rubber-monster Klingorcs give it a kind of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea feel so that fits right in).

Overall, the roadmap looks pretty good (at least on an overview like that, there is plenty that could go wrong with the details of course if you want to be cynical about it), and they do not seem to be switching entirely to DSC events. The switch from Breen ships looks interesting, I just hope it is a decent one for science captains this time, the last two ships were Tac and Eng oriented respectively and I get tired of giving up the secondary deflector and decent sci seating to fly a T6.

Even some of the older stuff is getting worked on like the call for comments on the long-broken Gon'cra which will hopefully lead to its being fixed into something that can actually be used effectively instead of being only half as pleasant as dental surgery to slog though.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    What are you talking about? they have removed 8 missions, only two of which had actual TOS content in them. The other 150+ missions Cryptic has released over the last 8.5 years are still in the game, exactly where they always were.
    They also removed a bunch of queues, made another 30+ queues next to impossible to play via the queue system and added 2 new missions which are broken. They also removed the great and fun SB24 and replaced it with the rubbish The Defense of Starbase One.

I am getting a bit fed up of the devs taking good content away and replacing it with worse content and then not admitting the mistake leaving us worse off. They did the same with the original Gorn Minefield, original Into the Breach, original NWS and other content which got replaced with worse versions.

I played the Starbase 24 mission several times (and would have more often had the que filled more often), the last time only a few weeks ago at most, the Starbase 1 scenario is not that different. They added in the "protect the evacuation" thing from Swarm but it really makes little difference overall. Also, most of those missions are not actually removed, they are just not in the mandatory mission lines anymore. For instance I just picked up "Specters", which is one of my favorite early missions and one they "removed", on my AoD character.