test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Technically. He did have a little bit on the back of the head.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    All this heartburn could have been avoided if being Klingon was a nationality rather than a species. That anyone from their conquered territory could become Klingon if they followed the philosophy, letting us easily have our human TOS-Klingons, our ridged TNG-Klingons, and our ork DIS-Klingons. Why should the Federation be the only multi-species society after all.

Sadly modern sci-fi writers tend to be somewhat lazy with limited imaginations so we wind up with planets of hats with a single monoculture rather than anything fleshed out and compelling.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Why are we not there yet, damn it?!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    This is my head canon

> @lordrezeon said:
    > All this heartburn could have been avoided if being Klingon was a nationality rather than a species. That anyone from their conquered territory could become Klingon if they followed the philosophy, letting us easily have our human TOS-Klingons, our ridged TNG-Klingons, and our ork DIS-Klingons. Why should the Federation be the only multi-species society after all.
    >
    > Sadly modern sci-fi writers tend to be somewhat lazy with limited imaginations so we wind up with planets of hats with a single monoculture rather than anything fleshed out and compelling.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    garaks31 wrote: »
    STST-S01-HeroImage.jpg

DSCVRY SHORT TREKS

Runaway (premieres Thursday, Oct. 4)
    Onboard the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. However, this unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye.

Written by Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman. Directed by Maja Vrvilo.

Calypso (premieres Thursday, Nov. 8)
    After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface.

Teleplay by Michael Chabon. Story by Sean Cochran and Michael Chabon. Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

The Brightest Star (premieres Thursday, Dec. 6)
    Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him on an unexpected path.

Written by Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt. Directed by Douglas Aarniokoski.

The Escape Artist (premieres Thursday, Jan. 3)
    Harry Mudd, back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship – just in time to try out his latest con.

Written by Mike McMahan. Directed by Rainn Wilson.

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    problem with that theory is that they were all bald even in the premier before the war

Because they were all fighting each other.

If Klingons are only bald during battles, then they must always be bald.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    > @patrickngo said:
    > valoreah wrote: »
    >
    > kodachikuno wrote: »
    >
    > problem with that theory is that they were all bald even in the premier before the war
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Because they were all fighting each other.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > nay, it's because DuPont didn't deliver enough acrylic nylon 'hair'. see the nylon mites (or is it rayon) devoured some of the shipment and they ran out of fright wigs to harvest from the fright-wig trees, so they couldn't make the scaly feather hairs that Hettrick needed for his reimagining of Klingon hair, so everyone had to go with the raw latex gimp masks.

Part of me thinks you're playing me, but the other part so wants this to be true.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
    patrickngo wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    problem with that theory is that they were all bald even in the premier before the war

Because they were all fighting each other.

nay, it's because DuPont didn't deliver enough acrylic nylon 'hair'. see the nylon mites (or is it rayon) devoured some of the shipment and they ran out of fright wigs to harvest from the fright-wig trees, so they couldn't make the scaly feather hairs that Hettrick needed for his reimagining of Klingon hair, so everyone had to go with the raw latex gimp masks.

Now phrase this in in-universe terms, and you could at least become a writer for ENT. (Admittedly, since that show is long cancelled, it's not a very interesting position anymore.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    starkaos wrote: »

Cultural practices can change over time.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Or maybe it’s Maybelline
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    rattler2 wrote: »

Cultural practices can change over time.

Was thinking of Enterprise more than the other Star Trek series. So being bald during battles must have been a short lived practice since it was only around for about a 100 years or less.

TOS never felt like there was a massive war between the Federation and Klingons just one long cold war with skirmishes in various locations, but never an invasion. Yet in Balance of Terror, we had Ensign Stiles who still couldn't forgive the Romulans due to their actions 100 years ago in the Earth-Romulan War. There should have been more people like Ensign Stiles in TOS except angry at the Klingons instead of the Romulans. It is as if Q snapped his fingers and everyone forgot about the Klingon War.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    knowing CBS, that's exactly what will end up happening​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    > @starkaos said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > starkaos wrote: »
    >
    > If Klingons are only bald during battles, then they must always be bald.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Cultural practices can change over time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Was thinking of Enterprise more than the other Star Trek series. So being bald during battles must have been a short lived practice since it was only around for about a 100 years or less.
    >
    > TOS never felt like there was a massive war between the Federation and Klingons just one long cold war with skirmishes in various locations, but never an invasion. Yet in Balance of Terror, we had Ensign Stiles who still couldn't forgive the Romulans due to their actions 100 years ago in the Earth-Romulan War. There should have been more people like Ensign Stiles in TOS except angry at the Klingons instead of the Romulans. It is as if Q snapped his fingers and everyone forgot about the Klingon War.

The problems of making up a show’s backstory on the fly
    Your pain runs deep.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, given we've seen klingons in states of war, if not before discovery then definitely AFTER, with totally hairy heads...that one isn't reasonable either​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • luminaire#0745 luminaire Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    well, given we've seen klingons in states of war, if not before discovery then definitely AFTER, with totally hairy heads...that one isn't reasonable either​​

I believe the latest downright insulting claim from the TRIBBLE creators is that the fact that Klingons in...every other incarnation of Trek still have hair even during wartime is just proof that Tapioca was right, and all Klingons after Discovery have gone soft from exposure to the Federation and lost their cultural roots.
    TOS never felt like there was a massive war between the Federation and Klingons just one long cold war with skirmishes in various locations, but never an invasion. Yet in Balance of Terror, we had Ensign Stiles who still couldn't forgive the Romulans due to their actions 100 years ago in the Earth-Romulan War. There should have been more people like Ensign Stiles in TOS except angry at the Klingons instead of the Romulans. It is as if Q snapped his fingers and everyone forgot about the Klingon War.

This is really probably the biggest thing. The Klingon look change is stupid and annoying and their excuses for it are silly, but the war is by far more destructive to any pretense at continuity.

The idea that the Federation and its relations with the Klingons as presented in TOS can in any way shape or form be considered a logical progression from Discovery, which has unequivocally shown and stated that the Federation just got its face kicked in, suffering massive civilian and military losses, and huge swathes of its territory conquered by the Klingons, is outright laughable.
    edited October 2018

This is really probably the biggest thing. The Klingon look change is dumb and pointless and their excuses for it are silly, but the war is far more destruction to any pretense at continuity with TOS.

The idea that the Federation and its relationship with the Klingons as presented in TOS can in any way shape or form be considered a logical progression from Discovery, which has unequivocally shown and stated that the Federation got its face kicked in, suffering massive civilian and military losses and the conquest of vast swathes of its territory, is outright laughable.

I believe the latest downright insulting claim by the Discovery creators is that the fact that Klingons in every other iteration of Trek had hair even in wartime just proves that Tapioca was right, and that all Klingons after Discovery have gone soft and lost their cultural roots due to the influence of the Federation.

Yes, that's right, not only are Disco lumpy rubber-suit monsters Klingons, they're the only true Klingons in all of Trek!
    edited October 2018
    The idea that the Federation and its relationship with the Klingons as presented in TOS can in any way shape or form be considered a logical progression from Discovery, which has unequivocally shown and stated that the Federation got its face kicked in, suffering massive civilian and military losses and the conquest of vast swathes of its territory, is outright laughable.

You're forgetting one key element... the amount of time between the end of DSC season 1 and the start of TOS.

About 10 years.

Relations between the Federation and the Klingon Empire were shown as being in a state of Cold War. Minor skirmishes but no full on battles.

Discovery showed the end of the shooting war, but there was no formal treaty between the two powers to end the war. The Klingons just "stopped", and didn't occupy any of the territory they took after the fact. While the Federation saw it as an end to the war, they're still on a bit of a war footing because of that fact. For all intents and purposes, we're seeing the beginning of the Cold War status between the Federation and the Empire that we saw in TOS.

10 years is plenty of time to recover from a war for a superpower as big and resoruceful as the Federation.

Also... if that was laughable... then I guess the US recovery after Pearl Harbor was as well. Because there was no way the US could have recovered after we lost a large chunk of the Pacific Fleet... right? Especially with that Great Depression thing going at the time.

If the US could do it in real life with an event that essentially kickstarted the industrial economy... why can't the Federation, a superpower that is MUCH LARGER, do the same?
    Remember that for the duration of the war, the Klingons had one advantage that they lost towards the end of the war - Cloaking. Cloak is a significant tactical and strategic advantage, because it makes it difficult to predict what you are targeting. The defender has to either fall back to few strongly defended positions, or he has to split his forces and hope that reeinforcements can come quickly enough once a Klingon force is decloaking.

Considering that the war lasted about a year or longer, I think Starfleet fared pretty well. And with the cloak suddenly being breakable, a major advantage of the Klingons is lost. Without that advantage, and 9 years of the Federation focusing more strongly on its defense fleet and the Klingons possibly entering a civil struggle (because L'Rell's position is not exactly "safe"), it could definitely change the situation.

You're forgetting one key element... the amount of time between the end of DSC season 1 and the start of TOS.

About 10 years.

Relations between the Federation and the Klingon Empire were shown as being in a state of Cold War. Minor skirmishes but no full on battles.

More like 7 years, and even if we pretend that the federation just magically recovered from losing 1/3rd of its fleet, 1/5th of its territory, and billions of its citizens massacred and entire planets lost...the fact that anyone in Starfleet responds to Klingons with anything but barely concealed hatred is equally laughable.

Ensign Styles still hated Romulans because his great great grandpa fought them..but apparently everyone has just gotten over the massive devastation and death the Klingons inflicted on the Federation just a few years prior.
    Also... if that was laughable... then I guess the US recovery after Pearl Harbor was as well. Because there was no way the US could have recovered after we lost a large chunk of the Pacific Fleet... right? Especially with that Great Depression thing going at the time.

If the US could do it in real life with an event that essentially kickstarted the industrial economy... why can't the Federation, a superpower that is MUCH LARGER, do the same?

The attack at Pearl Harbor did more psychological damage than real, as far as the US' total strength. Most of the fleet was actually undamaged, the carriers were away at the time, and the Japanese broke off their attack before hitting the fuel depots that would have led to a much longer war had they been destroyed.

To compare to what we see in Discovery the Japanese would have had to completely obliterate the Pacific fleet, conquer the western seaboard, and bomb most of the major west coast cities into dust. In which case i suspect history would have played out just a teensy bit differently.
    The point is it kickstarted the industrial economy. Same thing would happen with the Federation.
    The Klingons didn't KEEP the territory they went through, otherwise the Klingon Border would be right at Earth's doorstep. So clearly the Federation didn't actually lose territory at all. Hell... Starbase 1 was still structurally intact when Discovery came across her and discovered the station occupied.

I think you're going a little overboard on the sheer amount of damage caused. Yes it was devastating, but not apocalyptic like you're making it sound like.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The point is it kickstarted the industrial economy. Same thing would happen with the Federation.
    The Klingons didn't KEEP the territory they went through, otherwise the Klingon Border would be right at Earth's doorstep. So clearly the Federation didn't actually lose territory at all. Hell... Starbase 1 was still structurally intact when Discovery came across her and discovered the station occupied.

I think you're going a little overboard on the sheer amount of damage caused. Yes it was devastating, but not apocalyptic like you're making it sound like.
    Yeah, the Klingons were fighting a war of conquest, not extermination.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

It is not a matter of economics, damages, or conquest, but hatred. Kirk had to overcome his baser instincts in Star Trek 6 because a Klingon killed his son. There is a reason why violence begets violence and creates a vicious cycle where two nationalities end up not knowing the reason why the fighting started. Since we never got a Earth-Romulan War, the Earth-Romulan War and Federation-Klingon War might have caused the same amount of damage. Yet, we have Ensign Stiles that hates the Romulans due to what happened to his ancestor in the Earth-Romulan War a hundred years ago, but there is no hatred towards the Klingons due to the Federation-Klingon War 10 years ago. Either the Federation-Klingon War never happened 10 years before TOS or Q snapped his fingers and everyone forgot about it.
    or that we are dealing with enlightened humans that don't feel that way. Stiles is the only one carrying that hatred for Romulans and he gets put in his place by Kirk. If everyone on the ship was foaming at the mouth to fight the romulans i'd see the point but they werent.
    Your pain runs deep.
This discussion has been closed.