test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game crashes trying to load a mission

Every time I try to load "Gathering Darkness" with my Discovery toon, the game crashes and forces a file verification. It's been 4 times in a row. I can do other things with this same toon just not that mission but i cant advance without completing it.

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    durathvaul wrote: »
    Every time I try to load "Gathering Darkness" with my Discovery toon, the game crashes and forces a file verification. It's been 4 times in a row. I can do other things with this same toon just not that mission but i cant advance without completing it.

It sometimes helps to turn off "on demand update" in the launcher preferences.
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    one other player said something like - launcher -> options
    UNTICK on demand patching
    AND make sure force verify is TICKED.

Kind of save if needed (I don't remember) and restart launcher if needed (I don't remember),
    then LET it verify files. This may be your best bet, I think!

Some other potential causes to crash:
    Also people said sometimes alienware/razer software (such of keyboard color glowing and so?) interfere so much so disabling/deactivating it may not be enough, only uninstalling that. I take no responsibility here and no idea if this is the issue. I have no idea about the issue and its symptoms.

Other people said try to revert the Oct win 10 update if you can if you have troubles SINCE that update. I take no responsibility here and no idea if this is the issue. I have no idea about the issue and its symptoms.

Probably unrelated, "experimental" thing in newbie's idea level, if you use linux
    The following is really not help AT ALL, just idea where other thing can be checked if all else fails. It's probably NOT related to your case.
    Another things which might be if you use linux or such (I luckily didn't encounter that issue) with steam play check your proton version used with steam play, some versions had some issues/regression with SOME games (or even with steam itself/runtime running, if you used steam runtime.) If it worked for you with one of the previous versions and the above solutions don't work for you, try to go to a known to work version. OR if you hadn't have the chance to try 3.16-3 beta with STO (no responsibility for other games!) you may go ahead and try it. For me all versions above 3.7 and up to recent one I've seen, 3.16-3, worked with STO though. But I used native runtime (from OS) beside for testing some things as a curious newbie. Note that I am not responsible to anything which happens in or to this/other game by testing - just read about this and if you know a specific version to work with STO you can try to use it. Just in case, be careful from 3.16-1 and 3.16-2 though if testing other games - read changelogs of the version AND also to the version "just above that" before you try - I don't recommend those versions to test on random games blindly. Ah, I see those version are not available at least by default so if 3.7-8 or 3.7-8 beta (beta came after/"more advanced than" 3.7-8) worked for you on STO then go ahead and test again. OR, as said, if you hadn't have the chance to try 3.16-3 with STO (no responsibility for other games!) you may go ahead and try it.
    *found a page with a changelog: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Changelog

P.S.
    Sometimes things as simple as restart helps in case of connectivity issue - I have no idea why, but decided to mention it here. Not entering here to resetting router things and such, just, you don't lose much from trying a simple restart here if fail to connect, I think :)

*edited... yet again.
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    wow. sorry for another post I don't want info to be lost. This post point is - look at other reports and solution in this section, just around your report time...